Possibility of Solo Operations?

I prefer to play solo, but I feel like I am missing out on a lot of story because I cannot do the operations. I am wondering how likely we could see solo operations like on Yavin 4. How many out there would like the option?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Relax. They haven't released ops for over 2 years. And before tos and rav it was 2 years before that. Devs don't care about endgame. Its all about solo and story. They would break pvp, well.. more than they have and get everyone to do it solo if they could.

In finishing, i'd be pretty confident that it is on its way sometime soon

I don't think the current operations will ever be solo mode.

The closest thing to a solo operation is the Eternal Championship Arena or w/e its called. Would be fun to see more of that type of content, doesn't hurt to have something new like that every now and then.

I don't think the current operations will ever be solo mode.

The closest thing to a solo operation is the Eternal Championship Arena or w/e its called. Would be fun to see more of that type of content, doesn't hurt to have something new like that every now and then.

It would be nice if they ever released end game content. This is a multi player game with zero multi player content ever being released.

I prefer to play solo, but I feel like I am missing out on a lot of story because I cannot do the operations. I am wondering how likely we could see solo operations like on Yavin 4. How many out there would like the option?

The Revan fight at the end of the Yavin 4 is not a solo operation, it's just the end of the story arc which everyone - whether you choose to move the story forward doing the actual operation (Temple of Sacrifice) or the dailies - will have to do to complete it.

An actual operation is a *very* different experience. I'm sure that going forward there will always be a solo path available if they choose to make an operation part of the main story again but probably not "solo operations" like it's been done for the flashpoints. I mean, anything's always possible but given how many more priorities the dev team has, it seems unlikely.

The good news for you is that there's very little actual story content in operations. You're not missing any epic cutscene with meaningful story choices or dialogue inside those instances.

You are however missing some ancillary content, the biggest being what happened with the Dread Masters, something that is the backdrop of the Section X and Oricon questlines and 6 Operations: Karagga's Palace, Explosive Conflict, Terror from Beyond, Scum & Villainy, Dread Fortress, Dread Palace. The more meaningful ones are Explosive Conflict, where you learn what they've been up to since Belsavis (there's a prologue and epilogue cutscene) and the Dreads, which after completion give you access to the epilogue cutscene for the whole thing. (Something happens in Scum & Villainy that's also pretty major and it's referenced maybe twice during Oricon).

I would encourage you to try them if you don't have any specific constraints that prevents you to play in a group - odd hours, inability to set a couple of hours aside to play (a few minutes breaks here and there won't be an issue obviously) or other personal reasons.

Raiding with a group of people can be insanely fun and I'm speaking as someone who started the game to play solo and solo only and then basically stayed a sub just for the raiding part. Also, storymode operations are not complicated at all, if you're worried about that :).

Edited by nyrkverse

• 1 month later...
I'm in a similar boat with you. I would like to have some of the more important, story-driven ops be solo, I am a lore junkie, and me not having the ability to play through the ops on my own is a bit of a missed opportunity for me.

Watch it on youtube. There are literally about 2 minutes of cutscenes you miss by not doing the operation.

Alternatively, wait until it is the gf daily, and join a group that forms on fleet to do it. Most people will be happy to take you through it the first time, and you'll get to experience the whole thing.

As a single parent, I loathe raiding. I do not want my games to require a similar commitment as if they were an additional part-time job. I should not be expected to do something daily/weekly that requires even an hour or two of uninterrupted time.

All I wanted from this game when I first pre-ordered was for it to be KOTOR 3, and have a strong enough single player story experience that I could have fun the way I did with KOTOR 1-2. Basically I want to pay a subscription for a single player game.

I ran most of the flashpoints when I out-leveled them enough that I could solo them back in the day, and I've never done an Op. And I never will. If they made them solo'able, I'd run them even without rewards, just for the experience of it. But if they don't, I don't feel like it's any great loss. I'll just continue to play solo, and decorate my 1 man Guild Ship that I'm funding 100% by myself.

As a single parent, I loathe raiding. I do not want my games to require a similar commitment as if they were an additional part-time job. I should not be expected to do something daily/weekly that requires even an hour or two of uninterrupted time.

All I wanted from this game when I first pre-ordered was for it to be KOTOR 3, and have a strong enough single player story experience that I could have fun the way I did with KOTOR 1-2. Basically I want to pay a subscription for a single player game.

I ran most of the flashpoints when I out-leveled them enough that I could solo them back in the day, and I've never done an Op. And I never will. If they made them solo'able, I'd run them even without rewards, just for the experience of it. But if they don't, I don't feel like it's any great loss. I'll just continue to play solo, and decorate my 1 man Guild Ship that I'm funding 100% by myself.

So if there's a modicum of difficulty it's something you find offensive? That's rather sad. This game offers some of the best story content as well as some of the most difficult PVE content I've tried to do. I mean there's almost nothing to be gained from roflstomping things so much where you don't even have to try, that idea strips away so much from the game itself offers

I pay my subscription to raid with friends I’ve met over the years. I would not pay a subscription to support making any operation solo mode.

While solo only players have an opinion. So do I. And mine is equally as valid. Different content for different people. If solo only players can’t accept that then they should check their privilege. If people want to dive into other areas of the game then great. But don’t try to force a game play mode on those that don’t want that mode out of this crazy notion that one individual should get every right they seem to think they deserve just because they pay a sub. A sub gives you access to the game. If you don’t like the game don’t pay for it, and find one that fits the needs.

This is the worst post I think I’ve read in a while. Your personal life is not an excuse to reshape the game in your image.

The only meaningful story arc you miss when you skip ops is Dread Masters arc, and this is what happens:

- Karagga's Palace - there is a mention in the cutscene that someone is messing with the underworld and Hutts are looking to expand because they feel their territory is in danger.

- Explosive Conflict - Dread Masters announce their intentions at the end of the operation (that is, they want to destroy \ enslave \ conquer everything).

- Terror from Beyond - Dread Masters are up to no good.

- Scum and Villainy - you discover that one of the Dread Masters is behind a crime syndicate and kill him.

Then Oricon happens and Darth Marr \ Lord Hagrev summ everything up for you if you skipped those ops.

Then there are Dread Fortress and Dread Palace where you

enter Dread Masters sanctum, reach their council chamber and kill them.

With how Oricon arc explains everything, solo version of the dread council fight would be nice to wrap up the story... but with limited resources it's better if the devs focus on new content :)

Edited by juliushorst

My 2 cents: I have played all the way through the story and Reven on 7 characters solo or mostly solo due to my hours of play as well as the fact that I worked from home and was on call 24x7. It was not fair to others to have to bail mid raid.

I would like the option for doing operations on a low or no reward setting as well. Soloable, or maybe with a Makeb style boost and support bot.

Let the uber loot be raid only, thats fine with me. I'd like the option to go play them solo as well. I do understand the mechanics of it are not going to work that well, and it would mean changes to the solo mode. But getting to enjoy the story that goes with them would be very nice.

This is the worst post I think I’ve read in a while. Your personal life is not an excuse to reshape the game in your image.
Funny thing though: he didn't ask to reshape the game at all. Just explaining the way he plays and feels and why, and stating that he'd possibly enjoy a solo-mode, but just continue to do what he does if it was not available.

So basically just an opinion/preference voiced in a polite manner.

No need to project your anger about other posters or the state of the game (in your opinion) on him. :)

@topic: don't touch existing ops, effort is better spent some place else since they are ancient anyway.

For story archs like Dread Masters offer a parallel ending like Revan for solo players (or don't auto add the operation as a mission or just use the cut scences from the ops as a video).

For future operations (lol): don't tie them to solo play.

Here's BW's definition of Operations:

Operations are large-scale multi-group* missions where you will join your Republic or Imperial allies to confront the most dangerous threats in the galaxy. Each story-driven Operation is available to both allegiances and is designed to challenge groups of either eight or sixteen players* to use their skills, wits, and teamwork* to ensure that they successfully complete the mission while still being accessible to newcomers to the genre.

Operations can also be completed with 8 or 16 player groups for Story, Veteran, and Master difficulty levels.

And

Story Mode

Story Mode is the easiest difficulty level and is the fastest way to experience the story. While it’s recommended to have a balanced team* with damage, healer, and tank roles.

Veteran Mode

Designed for players looking for more of a challenge. You’ll need a balanced team* consisting of damage, healer, and tank class roles to complete Veteran mode . The enemies will be tougher, but the rewards will be greater as you work as a team* to come out victorious.

Master Mode

Requiring both patience and skill, Master Mode will need a balanced group of players* with powerful gear and require players have reached max level to complete.

*Made bold and highlighted for emphasis.

Ops are a group activity and should stay that way.

I'm only partially interested in solo modes for the Oricon ops, just because the fights with each master are epic. Really I'd settle for just a solo version of the Dread Council fight where each Dread Master is an elite with a little extra health than normal and a single, unique ability that matches their personality/role in the group. I feel facing four elites at once like that, solo (with NO JESUS DROID BIOWARE! DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!) is enough of a challenge for solo/story players while also providing them with good story. Adding cutscenes before and after like they did with the first run-through of the Revan fight on Yavin 4 would be excellent as well. Then, after completing the fight in the story quest, you could repeat the solo mode fight as a Oricon Weekly, just like Yavin 4.

IMO, Oricon and the DM's deserved (and still do deserve) the Yavin 4 treatment FAR more than Revan. SoR is a fanfiction compared to the Dread War Arc.

At most, I can see them making a flashpoint version of the operations - no solo mode, no companions and no tactical mode. Just normal mode and hard modes. And they'd reward the same as the current flashpoints - no unassembled loots, just xp consumable boosts and credits. Toss in some isotopes as well.

Whether or not they make ops soloable, they need to have challenging content for solo players that offer similar rewards to ops. We all pay the same sub, so we should all have an opportunity to experience the same things regardless of time commitment, something that for many is unchangeable. Skill level can change based on player, and is generally modifiable, so that should the the determining factor towards someones ability to complete all content in the game. Imo. Edited by olagatonjedi

Whether or not they make ops soloable, they need to have challenging content for solo players that offer similar rewards to ops. We all pay the same sub, so we should all have an opportunity to experience the same things regardless of time commitment, something that for many is unchangeable. Skill level can change based on player, and is generally modifiable, so that should the the determining factor towards someones ability to complete all content in the game. Imo.

But if any of that challenging content is challenging, they'll cry about it being too hard and scream "nerf." And what need do soloists have to be geared out at 248 w/236 augments if they're doing nothing harder than something that only requires them to have level 10 rating gear because they get bolstered?

If they want to complete ALL content of the game, then they need to PARTICIPATE in all content of the game. This includes group activities.

I'll make a deal. If they can go out and solo every world boss in the game, then I'll sign my name on any petition for solo ops.

So if there's a modicum of difficulty it's something you find offensive? That's rather sad. This game offers some of the best story content as well as some of the most difficult PVE content I've tried to do. I mean there's almost nothing to be gained from roflstomping things so much where you don't even have to try, that idea strips away so much from the game itself offers

I am a bit confused where you garnered this interpretation of what I said. I have no problem with challenging content at all. I enjoy a good challenge. My dislike for group content is purely summed up by scheduling; I have a dislike for committing myself to any in-game activity in which requires me to sit at my keyboard for 90+ minutes of guaranteed interruption-free time. It doesn't work with my schedule. I never claimed that there shouldn't be group content. Heck, I didn't even ask for the group content to be made soloable. I simply mentioned that I, like many of the other players here who essentially treat SWTOR as though it were KOTOR 3 and play solo for the story, have never and will never run the group content. They can introduce as much group content as they want and I don't complain about it. I just don't use it. Kind of like the way some people could choose to never PvP, or choose not to decorate strongholds; I am one of a sub-set of the population who chooses not to group. We do not try to tear down what you enjoy. We just hoped to remind the development team that when they already have the in-game resources 98% done, with all maps and enemies coded, a simple 'Story Mode' version is a great source of fake content, requiring only minimal effort on the part of the developers, could be played off as a substantial content update to a certain portion of the population.

As far as challenge is concerned? I got all my raiding out of my system back in my 20s and 30s. Eventually I reached the realization that many older gamers have: the hardest part about raiding is just finding a group of people all available at the same time. In a 16 man Op, you can do everything perfect, and you still fail, because of what other people did. That is not a measure of your skill. And in contrast, we've seen enough skill-challenged players get carried through raids to know that one person can sit around and basically do nothing, and still succeed, because of what other people did. In a raid, your total contributations make up only a small percentage of the success/fail equation. So your personal skill is irrelevant; it's entirely about the collective skill of a group. When you beat a raid, it is not because you are good; it is because the group is good, sometimes in spite of your own shortcomings.

When you solo, there are no excuses. It's 100% on you. A hard solo challenge is a far greater measure of skill than a hard group fight where you can lean on the crutch of other players to carry you. Which is a big part of why I find solo work more fun. I want my challenges to come in the form of resource management, polishing rotations, and flawlessly executing unforgiving fight mechanics. I do not think that the grant challenge for the end of the game should be trying to herd cats, explaining fights to children, or adjusting my real-life obligations to make sure that I'm available to play a game without interruption during primetime hours.

I am happy you have your Opertions. I am sure you enjoy them. I am not trying to take them away. I don't even want the same gear you get out of them. I just mentioned that not everybody enjoys them, because I believe there is room for all types of players in the community; not just raiders.

When you solo, there are no excuses. It's 100% on you. A hard solo challenge is a far greater measure of skill than a hard group fight where you can lean on the crutch of other players to carry you. Which is a big part of why I find solo work more fun. I want my challenges to come in the form of resource management, polishing rotations, and flawlessly executing unforgiving fight mechanics. I do not think that the grant challenge for the end of the game should be trying to herd cats, explaining fights to children, or adjusting my real-life obligations to make sure that I'm available to play a game without interruption during primetime hours.

I am happy you have your Opertions. I am sure you enjoy them. I am not trying to take them away. I don't even want the same gear you get out of them. I just mentioned that not everybody enjoys them, because I believe there is room for all types of players in the community; not just raiders.

Good post. I can understand your perspective here better than before. My disagreement comes from flawed experience with other solo players as well as the eternal championship. The solo players I encounter seem much more privileged than others I have met. (To be honest I believe the GSF community is the most measured community in game but that’s neither here nor there). The eternal championship was what seemed like biowares attempt to create a solo operation and in my opinion only shows that it was a failed attempt since it’s gone completely in the ignore pile. Maybe that had to do with rewards. I don’t know. But I remember seeing a great many thrresds hating on the difficulty when it finally came out. And the different level chapters seemed to fail however that’s probably due to poor planning with it.

It just doesn’t seem like the solo crowd actually wants challenging content.

But if any of that challenging content is challenging, they'll cry about it being too hard and scream "nerf." And what need do soloists have to be geared out at 248 w/236 augments if they're doing nothing harder than something that only requires them to have level 10 rating gear because they get bolstered?

If they want to complete ALL content of the game, then they need to PARTICIPATE in all content of the game. This includes group activities.

I'll make a deal. If they can go out and solo every world boss in the game, then I'll sign my name on any petition for solo ops.

If there were difficult solo activities, you wouldnt need to ask why they need BIS 248 gear, right?

And just because a small amount of players would be interested or willing to participate in difficult content doesnt mean it has no place. You never know if people will reach a point in their playing experience where they would like to see if they are capable of completing it or not, like NIM raids. Many people have never done them before, but have always been interested, but dont know if they are skilled enough - a solo nim-level FP or ops might give them a chance to test themselves.

Good post. I can understand your perspective here better than before. My disagreement comes from flawed experience with other solo players as well as the eternal championship. The solo players I encounter seem much more privileged than others I have met. (To be honest I believe the GSF community is the most measured community in game but that’s neither here nor there). The eternal championship was what seemed like biowares attempt to create a solo operation and in my opinion only shows that it was a failed attempt since it’s gone completely in the ignore pile. Maybe that had to do with rewards. I don’t know. But I remember seeing a great many thrresds hating on the difficulty when it finally came out. And the different level chapters seemed to fail however that’s probably due to poor planning with it.

It just doesn’t seem like the solo crowd actually wants challenging content.

Thanks. I'm glad you mention Eternal Champion actually, because that is my favorite example of a true challenge of skill in the game. I play it daily and haven't managed to clear all 10 waves yet (though I can consistently hit 8, and I am positive it is within my abilities if I just continue to polish my performance). Eternal Champion is a wonderful example of how solo content can be made challenging and fun, without needing to diminish the experiences of group players. And the Eternal Champion+ mode is there as well for the group players who are unable to beat it solo and prefer to work within a team dynamic where they can count on their friends for help.

I think the only place that Eternal Champion suffers is in appropriate challenge vs reward balance. If they want to make Eternal Champion truly a challenging solo experience for everyone, then they need to scale it so that the final wave or two requires the high end gear as well as flawless rotation and fight mechanic awareness. If it isn't that challenging at the end, then anyone who has been carried through a couple of ops can basically strongarm through by out-gearing it without the skill-check it was meant to be. However, in order for that scaling to work, the rewards need dialed up substantially, so that the waves before that are rewarding the appropriate level gear in order to continue to progress. If you make the rewards too low (which seems to be the general consensus), then it's only a challenge for people who have already surpassed it's rewards, and nobody ends up really using it. If you make the challenge level appropriate for the current rewards, then it gets stomped by all the people who have out-geared it, and doesn't get to really challenge anybody. If they want it to truly be an endgame quality challenge, then it needs to carry endgame quality rewards.

Eternal Champion is a really great idea that is actually well delivered. It just needs a bit of polish in order for it to be one of the true benchmarks of how good a player is. If the Cosmic Trial in Marvel Heroes taught me anything, it's that there will always be plenty of players who get embarrassed and angry when a challenging solo encounter is introduced because they're just too accustomed to facerolling through everything or being carried by other players, but if you truly want a measuring stick for how good you are in the game, it happens when success and failure is 100% on you.