Unofficial RP Super-Servers

Ganden

As Editor-in-Chief of SWTOR-RP and as the author of this thread, there must be a way that you can change the name. It wouldn't cause confusion for people that are already on the servers and it would only lessen the chance that outsiders will get the wrong idea.

If you've got any suggestions, I'm completely open :)

Not too sure if you're signed up at SWTOR-RP, but you'll probably best reach me there via PMs.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One big RP server/sandbox would certainly make life easier for us newbies to find RP and guilds and whatnot.

I can see though how people with a high-level character would not want to have to move off their current server and start over.

Some games offer a limited method of switching characters from one server to another. If the devs offered this, then maybe we can build one or two super sandbox servers?

Just a thought.

:wea_07::wea_07::ph_thank_you:

One big RP server/sandbox would certainly make life easier for us newbies to find RP and guilds and whatnot.

I can see though how people with a high-level character would not want to have to move off their current server and start over.

Some games offer a limited method of switching characters from one server to another. If the devs offered this, then maybe we can build one or two super sandbox servers?

Just a thought.

:wea_07::wea_07::ph_thank_you:

It's not so much that people don't want to start over, and more about community cultivation. I think that we have enough RPers to go around that having these "super-servers" is not really needed. All of the RP servers have been showing postive signs of life, and trying to push everyone together onto 1-2 servers would destroy that growth.

Not to mention this might be unfair to those who might be located far away from one of these servers geographically. For example, my connection strength is much stronger with PST servers, than with EST, and I don't think people's experience with the game should be penalized because of where they live. It might not matter with RP, but as players, we do participate in other aspects of the game where the latency matters.

Sorry about the double-post. I have emailed Ganden with my suggestions. For those interested, here is what I sent:

Hi, Ganden

Thanks for being so reasonable in the Super-Servers thread. i understand that, like the rest of us, everyone at SWTOR-RP is interested in supporting the TOR RP community -- no matter what the server.

As the original goal of the "super-server" initiative has not been met, and now cannot be met without people abandoning several thriving RP servers, I think it might be helpful to rename the project in such a way as to make clear that certain servers still represent a high percentage of SWTOR-RP users.

To this end, I would suggest:

SWTOR-RP Settler Server

SWTOR-RP Pioneer Server

SWTOR-RP Target Server

SWTOR-RP Homestead Server

SWTOR-RP Community Server

or...

The SWTOR-RP Neighborhood Project

Any of these names will highlight the fact that SWTOR-RP community members can find their friends on such servers, while eliminating the unfortunate implied competition between these and other RP servers. While I am not suggesting these names are great, you get the idea.

They all express a pioneer or community feeling that was born of SWTOR-RP (I think it is important to keep the site name in the title so people know what part of the community is being focused on) without putting them above or in any way diminishing the presence of large RP pops on the other servers.

Hope this helps.

I will be cross-posting it to the thread as well.

Thanks,

Slaine

Edited by Darth_Slaine

I still cross-post a little on swtor-rp.com, but decided to concentrate more on ebon-hawk.com for a few reasons:

a) Lack of ability to admin and mod the forum categories (since it runs on Enjin, and none of us are admins there)

b) Some confusion among players over the Wiki, since it isn't separated per server

c) It wasn't getting much non-LA traffic (though I run into a lot more diversity on the Chat itself, which is Enjin's best feature). Most people seem to aggregate toward their specific servers.

d) Some disparaging comments on one of our event postings. This in itself will make people angry enough to not come back, esp since we can't moderate these.

e) Unique domain name control (though I suppose we COULD just redirect to swtor-rp.com)

Unfortunately this creates inevitable dilution of effort and some confusion.

Enjin is still only half-way there - it seems to be built for single guilds, and pvp-oriented ones. We almost need a website framework that is a hybrid of social media frameworks and gaming websites.

You guys were still smart for doing all your website-dev BEFORE the game came out, though. No one wants to spend the time coding a new scheme when there's RP and gaming to do. >_>

I still cross-post a little on swtor-rp.com, but decided to concentrate more on ebon-hawk.com for a few reasons:

I only cross-post there to maintain a presence. There are maybe 5-10 of us who do. Our server's Facebook page is getting much more traffic and it seems to suit us better than forum posting.

• 2 weeks later...

It is a bit sad that the RP community got fractured like it did. I suppose it was envitable. The fact of the matter is the largest of the East Coast RP guilds ended up being pre-placed on Sanctum of the Exalted (mostly becase TCL and Pax Imperius, the two largest RP guilds pre-launch choose to become "adversaries") so SotE ended up up having fewer pre-placed guilds over all, while Lord Adraas had a larger number of smaller guilds. Because the "Super Server" was selected via a Guild Leader vote, there was no way that SotE even had a chance. I also find it intriging that this selection was made prior to launch before anyone was actually in the game.

Oh well...no point crying over spilled milk. We have an amazing and dedicated community on SotE that is committed to creating a first class RP server.

I suppose it pays to plan ahead.

Most of my crew came from the Earthen Ring WoW server (again, these are just the folks who enrolled when I did, around xmas) - but our server *still* ended up split across various servers due to the guild-prelaunch thing, since not everyone was reading the same forums (or forums at all), and of course, many wanted a fresh start.

I fell into that camp myself, I suppose - following a few really old-school rpers who had some industry connections, or were favorite writers of mine, to Ebon Hawk. The community certainly seemed big enuf to have people spread out across multiple servers.

To whit, I've mainly tried to bring about a certain "personality" to our server (something I only have an effect on Empire side, though), thru the merging of people from WoW and various sci-fi mmo backgrounds. We're definitely going for more of a dark comedy approach than being super-serious... but I can't speak for everyone else on our server, certainly.

But because most of us just started playing in the last month, this presents a different set of both problems and opportunities. Time will tell how much consolidation and server-settling will occur, as people find thier homes.

I have to laugh at people pretending their server is a "super" server for roleplay. Trask Ulgo is just as full of top quality roleplay guilds, events and community spirit than any other EU RP server, and we don't pretend to be anything other than a normal server.

Just because a comparatively small group of guilds signed up to a server for a specific reason, be that PvP, PvE or RP doesn't make it "super".

/tiphat.

There is nothing wrong with trying to focus most traffic to one place. I am leaving my current server because it's dead, I wish I had a better idea on server size before I became an officer in a 100+ guild and maxed out my character.

I am thinking of ending my subscription until Bioware initiates server transfers. Since I've lost interest since starting over from square one just because my server was practically dead.

Another vote for Ajunta Pal. I enjoy a good rp session after a nite of pvp and the population due to alot of oversea's folks who share with north america make it pretty busy at all hours. I have yet to find a lack of players to do any mission... currently up to hoth on imperial side.

One other thing I have noticed, unlike many pvp servers, there seems to be a pretty close balance in faction. As empire, I rarely do huttball which is a good thing!