Neat capping in stealth trick

Lundorff

This was the new CW-reskin and both an oper and a sin capped in stealth (different occasions). And no it was not a glitch or lack of attention etc. I have guarded nodes for 3 eons now, and it was 100% happening. GG BW your game is top notch as always.

Like this:

1) I sit as a sniper on the turret watching.

2) I get mezzed

3) I call

4) I break and roll down and flash bang the sin

5) All of this was within 2 seconds, but the node was suddenly capped.

The oper tried the same thing basically. So awful that crap like that is possible.

Edited by Lundorff

I dont condone this, but anyone with a search engine and a desire to cheat in swtor knows there was a hack at one point that could do it. I dont know if it still works in 5.x and I dont care.. the cap while stlth was a hack one point.

or it may just be lag on your part, remember it only takes 6 seconds now.

Edited by Seterade

So many bugs in this patch that it must be a hackers wet dream. All they have to do is find one and exploit the code in it and everyone will call it a bug or working as intended. Bioware won’t even be able to detect it because its their bug.

Things that weren’t broken before the patch are now broken. Honeslty, ever time Ive played since last Tuesday, I find another new bug that wasn’t there before.

That's in voidstar. Doesn't the Yavin cap still take 8? (He said it was a Yavin, right? "CW reskin"?)

well all wzs were shortened, but your probably right. so 8 seconds? easy to lag out graphics that long on stlth classes. theres this bug in ranked that I get everyonce in awhile where round one no move graphics rez and stlth show up only as a weapon.. needless to say I get globald round one. thank god it fixes round two and rarly happens.

or it may just be lag on your part, remember it only takes 6 seconds now.

I thought that was the case with the first one, the oper. I ran to the node and began capping, and suddenly with one second left he sorta popped out and was 1 second behind me. It felt weird, so I thought it was just me lagging. Then the sin came and did basically the same. I call shenanigans!

Edited by Lundorff

Desync. If you know what you're doing both Ops and Sins can desync their caps so their invisible for all but 1-2 seconds, no hacks needed.

Ive seen this happen. But even though it’s not a hack, as you say, if they know what they are doing it, they can replicate it each time. Essentially this is cheating and exploiting a bug to their advantage.

I know you can’t police it and Bioware need to fix it. But if people are doing it on purpose to gain an advantage and they know it, then they are still cheating.

Ive seen this happen. But even though it’s not a hack, as you say, if they know what they are doing it, they can replicate it each time. Essentially this is cheating and exploiting a bug to their advantage.

I know you can’t police it and Bioware need to fix it. But if people are doing it on purpose to gain an advantage and they know it, then they are still cheating.

trying to sell this arguement is like trying to sell all skank tanks for gearing in a way that was unintended and "abuses" bolster presets should be punished.

which they wont be.

or saying players who dont take accuracy is cheating. in theory is accuracy ment to exist? yup, does it work better in pvp to not have pve accuracy? yup. but you cant attack someone for playing your flawed game, if you dont like it fix the code.... all these years later? not fixed. working as intended ™

Edited by Seterade

trying to sell this arguement is like trying to sell all skank tanks for gearing in a way that was unintended and "abuses" bolster presets should be punished.

which they wont be.

or saying players who dont take accuracy is cheating. in theory is accuracy ment to exist? yup, does it work better in pvp to not have pve accuracy? yup. but you cant attack someone for playing your flawed game, if you dont like it fix the code.... all these years later? not fixed. working as intended ™

Not trying to sell it. Just explaining the facts. Specifically recreating a bug to gain an advantage over other players is exploiting. It doesn’t matter what sort of bug it is or how easy or hard it is to reproduce, if the player does it for the sole purpose to gain an advantage, it’s still an exploit.

Even the old Sorc/sage phase walk cap in Nova coast was an exploit because people did it on purpose. Bioware didn’t fix it for so long that it became part of the game and essentially an extra Sorc ability or mechanic. But at its heart, it was still an exploit.

This roll bug is no different and if Bioware don’t fix the bug, it too will become a similar ledgitmate mechanic that people will all do and others will have to be aware of to counter it,. But it is still technically an exploit.

I know I can’t sell it and you can’t police it because it’s a bug that can happen randomly (more than the Nova-Sorc exploit) as well as being done on purpose.

What needs to happen is Bioware have to fix it. The only way they will do that is if people keep making a noise about it with reports or thread posts. If we let it be and don’t say anything, we are just as culpable of accepting this exploit as a game mechanic as Bioware are with not fixing it,

I am with Trixxie there. There is a fine line between "doing something not exactly as intended because it is better than what BioWare originally planned" and "using a clearly unintended bug to gain an advantage other people who are unaware of that bug".

In the 1st one (I will use acc for example), the fact that accuracy is not so useful in PVP is nothing unintended by BW, it simply results in that there are better things to do with stats. Players saw how the game works, did some math and came up with some min-maxing which is different than what BW originally planned. It is an unintended usage of existing known and intended mechanics. This is within the game rules, just as a guy who plays chess might develop a tactic which is better than the one of the inventors of chess, or a raider can develop a boss tactic easier than what BW planned.

In the 2nd one, there is a bug in the system, unintended by the programmers of the game. Using it is like using a non-existent move in chess (but unlike in the analogy, your opponent can't just stop you and tell you that you are breaking the rules and should stop). It is like hiding cards in your sleeves. This is considered exploiting and should be treated just like the people who use the "sell at a higher cost than the buy cost" bugs - severely. [And of course, the bug enabling it should be corrected as soon as possible].

Edited by Rafiknoll

Here’s an example of another bug being that is being used to gain an advantage, hence being exploited. (Read down the thread and you will see what can happen)

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=952750

I’m not sure if people have noticed, but EA have updated the Terms of Service in May 2028.

Looks like EA/Bioware updated their terms of service back in May 2018 which better define the rules of conducts, especially with regards to harassment and cheating and general conduct in the game.

One would hope that are actually going to enforce these rules and punishments for severe violations, ie hackers can have their EA accounts terminated. I would hope this is what will now happen the first time they get caught.

Excerpt:

Rules of Conduct

When you access or use an EA Service, you agree that you will not:

Violate any law, rule or regulation.

Interfere with or disrupt any EA Service or any server or network used to support or provide an EA Service, including any hacking or cracking into an EA Service.

Use any software or program that damages, interferes with or disrupts an EA Service or another's computer or property, such as denial of service attacks, spamming, hacking, or uploading computer viruses, worms, Trojan horses, cancelbots, spyware, corrupted files and time bombs.

Interfere with or disrupt another player's use of an EA Service. This includes disrupting the normal flow of game play, chat or dialogue within an EA Service by, for example, using vulgar or harassing language, being abusive, excessive shouting (all caps), spamming, flooding or hitting the return key repeatedly.

Harass, threaten, bully, embarrass, spam or do anything else to another player that is unwanted, such as repeatedly sending unwanted messages or making personal attacks or statements about race, sexual orientation, religion, heritage, etc. Hate speech is not tolerated.

Contribute UGC or organize or participate in any activity, group or guild that is inappropriate, abusive, harassing, profane, threatening, hateful, offensive, vulgar, obscene, sexually explicit, defamatory, infringing, invades another's privacy, or is otherwise reasonably objectionable.

Publish, post, upload or distribute UGC or content that is illegal or that you don't have permission to freely distribute.

Publish, post, upload or distribute any content, such as a topic, name, screen name, avatar, persona, or other material or information, that EA (acting reasonably and objectively) determines is inappropriate, abusive, hateful, harassing, profane, defamatory, threatening, hateful, obscene, sexually explicit, infringing, privacy-invasive, vulgar, offensive, indecent or unlawful.

Post a message for any purpose other than personal communication. Prohibited messages include advertising, spam, chain letters, pyramid schemes and other types of solicitation or commercial activities.

Impersonate another person or falsely imply that you are an EA employee or representative.

Improperly use in-game support or complaint buttons or make false reports to EA staff.

Attempt to obtain, or phish for, a password, account information, or other private information from anyone else on EA Services.

Use any robot, spider or other automated device or process to access this website for any purpose or copy any material on this website.

Use or distribute unauthorized software programs or tools, such as "auto" software programs, "macro" software programs, "cheat utility" software program or applications, exploits, cheats, or any other game hacking, altering or cheating software or tool.

Modify any file or any other part of the EA Service that EA does not specifically authorize you to modify.

Use exploits, cheats, undocumented features, design errors or problems in an EA Service.

Use or distribute counterfeit software or EA Content, including EA Virtual Currency.

Attempt to use an EA Service on or through any service that is not controlled or authorized by EA.

Sell, buy, trade or otherwise transfer or offer to transfer your EA Account, any personal access to EA Services, or any EA Content associated with your EA Account, including EA Virtual Currency and other Entitlements, either within an EA Service or on a third party website, or in connection with any out-of-game transaction, unless expressly authorized by EA.

Use an EA Service in a country in which EA is prohibited from offering such services under applicable export control laws.

If an EA Service requires you to create a "user name" or a "persona" to represent you in game and online, you should not use your real name and may not use a user name or persona that is used by someone else or that EA determines is vulgar or offensive or violates someone else's rights.

Engage in any other activity that significantly disturbs the peaceful, fair and respectful gaming environment of an EA Service.

Use information about users publicly available in any EA Service (e.g. on a leaderboard) for any purpose unrelated to the Service, including to attempt to identify such users in the real world.

Promote, encourage or take part in any prohibited activity described above.

If you or someone using your EA Account violates these rules and fails to remedy this violation after a warning, EA may take action against you, including revoking access to certain or all EA Services, Content or Entitlements, or terminating your EA Account as described in Section 8. In case of severe violations, EA may take these actions without issuing a prior warning. Some examples of severe violations include, but are not limited to: promoting, encouraging or engaging in hacking, selling EA accounts or entitlements (including virtual currencies and items) without EA’s permission, extreme harassment, or threatening illegal activities. When practical, EA will notify you of the action it will take in response to violations of these rules or breach of this Agreement.

Specific EA Services may post additional rules that apply to your conduct on those services.

If you encounter another user who is violating any of these rules, please report this activity to EA using the "Help" or "Report Abuse" functions in the relevant EA Service, if available, or contact Customer Support at help.ea.com.

Full TOS link.

https://tos.ea.com/legalapp/WEBTERMS/US/en/PC/#section6

This TOS is now black and white as to what constitutes a violation.

I know from now on I will be copying the appropriate section of the TOS and adding it to any reports I make in case CS haven’t read up on the updated TOS. That way there can no confusion as to what is and isn’t an offence.

It also looks like theyve finally made the use of macros black and white. Meaning the use of them is no longer a gray area. It specifically says it’s a violation.