How do you properly roleplay in a game like this?

Aecheon

elaborate.

roleplaying, is when you pretend you actually are your character, you talk about how you just defeated a mighty rancor and how your just turned in a bounty for this trandoshian poucher

but how do you talk, normally?

in medival games you'd see "hither" and "thou" but in this game, are there any typical nomenclatures that are expected?

You don't need hither or thou in a fantasy game. That's just weak role playing.

In this game you just talk normally but you don't talk about Eastenders or dancing on ice. And when someone does, you certainly don't respond "What is this X-Factor you speak of?"

Concentrate on the character & motivations, like any acting role. Knowing the Star Wars lore & background helps (watch the movies, play KOTOR 1 & 2, and so on).

Other than that, talk normally and it helps if you can adopt a British accent for the Imperials and an American accent for the Republic ;)

This game, and this game's story are set in the past (long time ago, in a galaxy far away) but the technology is obviously much more advanced.

Do you just not break the 4th wall and you're good? (or is it 5th wall?)

Its a MMO with thousands per server. Not a MUD/MOO with some pinhead admin class setting rules.

How do you role-play? However the heck you want. As soon as you start analyzing it, you may as well go wear some sodding wool outfit and an SCA event in the rain at Pennsic. ;)

Why do people think that "roleplay" and "pretentious old english" are one in the same? It's not even like all roleplaying USED to be medieval; there have always been other settings for RPG's. I'm sure we've all seen the movies. We'll all hear how the NPC's talk, and I bet many of us have always played KOTOR and seen how language was used there. The only difference in the way you use language in a Star Wars game should be a few substitutions for profanities.

I really want to smack anyone that talks in old english when they see roleplay. You're a moron...seriously.

The lore isnt all that hard to find...im sure if you look around on Wookieepedia or something and read up on it you'll be alright as for RPing in this game i'd wait a few weeks for the RP to start taking effect seeing the first few weeks people are more concerned with leveling than RPing after that you'll see it start to blossom up and THEN maybe you can watch and learn.

Edited by Bobinator

I really want to smack anyone that talks in old english when they see roleplay. You're a moron...seriously.

The lore isnt all that hard to find...im sure if you look around on Wookieepedia or something and read up on it.

Please, by all means attempt to smack me.

Actually was wonring if there was a bio or someting we could post in for people to read in game.

Or do we just tell everyone our RP backstory over and over?

Hmm well there are addons in WoW like FlagRSP or MRP that make a "roleplay profile" where you fill out things like your name, history, appearance as for SWTOR there isnt one. Best bet now for you is to go to the community thread then the roleplayer section and just make a character and refer people to that or just tell em over and over again.

I kinda wish they copied the SWG bio section personally, but thats just me.

Edited by Bobinator