Datacrons, Good or Bad?

Kunra

While some folks will say, they have had 0 problems getting every single Datacron ingame(I say BS to that, btw).

Who thinks the "Mario Bros" approach is a bad idea?

I dont mind the Elites guarding them, dont mind "exploring" for them. Spending an hour trying to Jump my way and not even getting 50% of the way to it? Stupid.

For those who dont realize what those Datacrons mean, imagine hitting 50, you Dual someone and they have 100+ Stats that you dont. Thats what Datacrons give you.

Some will post saying they had no problem getting them all, others will say they are too hard, what do you think?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I have all the Datacrons and it does not make that much of a difference as most are stats you cant use or Shards.

I think its a good system. Next people will want bioware just to have them all sitting there when you land on a planet lol.

I have had a lot of fun collecting them with guild members, none are that hard to get.

They are fine how they are.

I suck at platforming, which means there are any number of datacrons I may never get. And you know, that's fine with me.

Entertainment, like real life, needs a few challenges to make it interesting. This gaming trend towards everything being equally accessible to everyone just makes everything equally bland, IMO.

The "Mario" datacrons are my favorite ones. I had a lot of fun getting them.

Personally, I don't care for the ones that require another person.

There is only a few that need 2 people, I think this is a good idea.

Anything that makes you team up or call on a guild mate is a good thing. Builds community.

The "Mario" datacrons are my favorite ones. I had a lot of fun getting them.

This. Spotting a datacron outside of the map and figuring out just how the f to get there is extremely satisfying once you pull it off. It sure takes you back to the time when finding a secret item was only half the battle.

And I'm pretty sure BioWare made them strictly optional. If you don't want them/can't get to them, then don't bother or come back later and try again.

I hope they make a reappearance in future content updates.

If the game was a little tighter with it's jump controls, it'd be fine. [ ... ]

This.

I am still having a lot of fun finding and getting to them. More MMOs need to reward exploration.

The only thing thats spoiling the fun for me is that for some Datacrons you loose a lot of time trying to get to them. And when you do, the reward rarely compensates for the time spent.

I find myself having to choose between "have fun getting that Datacron" or "spend what little game time is available working as effectively as possible".

(This is kind of an issue I have with the quest-grinding and leveling speed for gamers that have to work and can't spend all day playing. I personally find myself even skipping most of the dialogues and story-immersing elements just to "get on with it"...)

Edited by Khayrim_Carncell

Good.

I love how they enable you to challange your self and encourage you to se whats around outside next corner.

I played a game for to long where you where suppose to stick on the map.

They should fix the body issue asap though.

I have all the Datacrons and it does not make that much of a difference as most are stats you cant use or Shards.

I think its a good system. Next people will want bioware just to have them all sitting there when you land on a planet lol.

I have had a lot of fun collecting them with guild members, none are that hard to get.

They are fine how they are.

it also adds to the codex if you bother to read it

its a little extra lore tho i have not read them yet but once i have them all i will read into it

The jumping part is easy onces you get a grip on it. I hate Junp and Run games, but I have no troubles getting the jumpy datacrons as well.

Use sprint and walk wisely before you jump. To make an controlled jumps just stand at the spot and press the jump button followed by forward - not both at once and dont wait to long with forward. It takes a little practice but even I can do it :p

in general I really like it... but damn, jumping controlled is kinda a pain in this game... I spent two hours on nar shaddaa yesterday just to get all datacrons. (ok about 15-20 minutes of that were just wasted waiting for the stupid advertising banner but still)

I haven't had any problems with jumping (except the +10 Datacron on the Republic Fleet, but that's an issue with the MGGS, not jumping) but maybe that's because my Mario skills are so incredible and awesome.

As a Trooper, I can say that Datacrons make a nice difference for me. Aim might be my primary stat, but Cunning still adds a little bit to Tech Critical Chance for me, and nearly all of my abilities are Tech-based. Gathering about half of the +Cunning Datacrons has taken me from something like +0.8 Tech Crit to +1.1.

I imagine it'd be the same for Jedi Knights if they have any powers that are classified as Force, since Willpower should still add to the crit chance for them.

I think they are great. They don't give that large of a stat boost either to make or break your playing experience in anything that you do.

Some fun optional exploring, every MMO should have. They also give nice, interesting little reads to go along with them.

While some folks will say, they have had 0 problems getting every single Datacron ingame(I say BS to that, btw).

Who thinks the "Mario Bros" approach is a bad idea?

I dont mind the Elites guarding them, dont mind "exploring" for them. Spending an hour trying to Jump my way and not even getting 50% of the way to it? Stupid.

For those who dont realize what those Datacrons mean, imagine hitting 50, you Dual someone and they have 100+ Stats that you dont. Thats what Datacrons give you.

Some will post saying they had no problem getting them all, others will say they are too hard, what do you think?

I like it; brings a new type of challenge to MMO gaming, which is exactly what people asked for. Strangely I think you will find that many who enjoy it will not even bother to respond to this thread.

Hard Datacron hunting is Hard, as it should be...

TB said it best in one of his recent mailboxes...

" oh god do not put jumping puzzles in a game where your movement is that clumsy, don't get me wrong i'm ok with slow weighted movement but don't force me to do jumping puzzles with it...."

he was talking about dark messiah but it pretty much applys here. Don't put jumping puzzles and platforming into a game where your jumping is generally terrible to begin with. It's not that its a bad concept but with in the limits of the game its bad...

I liked Datacrons overall, collecting them with my third char atm. Only datacron I didnt like is the baloon on Tatooin and the kiosk on Nar Shada.

The jumping datacrons where fail = death are the best.

If you have trouble with MGGS try spam the MGGS during flight it helps to not reset you to start point.