I love the new Trick Shot!

I just want to say that the changes to Trick Shot / Sharpshooter feel really awesome. I always wanted to play Sharpshooter with my GS, but found the weird way Trick Shot worked unpleasant and clunky.

The new Trick Shot design feels smooth and fluid, it's really fun to play. It just feels natural and intuitive and has a great rhythm to it, especially with the double-low-cost-Charged-Burst mechanic thrown in.

Say "Thank you" for me to whoever redesigned the Sharpshooter tree for 2.0. :)

Edited by SW_display_name

The Trick Shot change is great. As someone who played mostly Sharpshooter (I played Sab though for PvP when the match required), one of the more infuriating things was running out of my Trickshot proc due to channeling Speed Shot; I actually resorted to clipping Speed Shot to get the Trickshot in. That issue is totally alleviated now, which I love.

I still have to get used to the new Quick Aim though, since it requires 2 Charged Bursts instead of a crit on CB or SS. I'm too used to seeing the proc and instantly hitting Aimed Shot, which is a habit I need to get over to fully reduce the cast time.

I really love the changes as well. Here's what I've been using thus far (forgive my terminology, I play both Sniper and Slinger and routinely use both terminologies combined):

Flyby

Quickdraw

Trickshot

2-stack Aimed Shot

Speed Shot

Charged Burstx2

It actually flows pretty well together. Because Trickshot is where it is in my priority, a typical starting rotation looks like Flyby -> Speed Shot+Trickshot -> Charged Burstx2+Trickshot -> 2-stack AimedShot+Trickshot etc etc. The only time I ever clip Trickshot procs is when Quickdraw comes off cooldown and I just procced a Trickshot, which isn't very often. Quickdraw hits so hard that delaying its cd even for a second seems to be a dps loss.

I am still working out where in my priority Explosive Probe needs to go. I also seem to use Burst Volley more for the alacrity buff than to take SS off cd now.

I kind of dislike it, because they also reduced trickshot damage, meaning it doesn't hit as hard as it used to as a balancing factor for making it so much easier to use. I never really had trouble working it in before.

The two charged shots to aimed thing is also kinda aggravating.

. . . Over all, though, I still love my gunslinger. I hadn't played her in a long time and god does it feel good to be back to it. I'll be sad when I finish out Makeb with her and end up moving on to other characters again.

I really love the changes as well. Here's what I've been using thus far (forgive my terminology, I play both Sniper and Slinger and routinely use both terminologies combined):

It actually flows pretty well together. Because Trickshot is where it is in my priority, a typical starting rotation looks like Flyby -> Speed Shot+Trickshot -> Charged Burstx2+Trickshot -> 2-stack AimedShot+Trickshot etc etc. The only time I ever clip Trickshot procs is when Quickdraw comes off cooldown and I just procced a Trickshot, which isn't very often. Quickdraw hits so hard that delaying its cd even for a second seems to be a dps loss.

I am still working out where in my priority Explosive Probe needs to go. I also seem to use Burst Volley more for the alacrity buff than to take SS off cd now.

While I generally agree on the priority (see next paragraph for slight amendment), I've personally found this to be a better starter: Flyby >> Charged Burst >> Trickshot >> Charged Burst >> Sabotage Charge >> Aimed Shot >> Trickshot >> Speed Shot >> Trickshot, and that pretty much walks you into the priority flow. I prefer this one since when you chain Flyby into Speed Shot, you end up digging yourself into an energy hole channeling Speed Shot (energy spent at cast) straight from Flyby (energy spent at end of activation). You spend 37 energy straight off the bat (31 if your energy regen tick occurs in that span), so you end up crimping your energy at the start. I tried this for awhile and I always ended up having to go to my first Flurry faster than when I use the starting rotation I give above. While you end up spending 5 extra energy on your first Charged Burst, you get a tick (or two) of energy regen during activation, and it gets you into your double-stack Aimed Shot much faster, which does far more damage than Speed Shot (also, in general Aimed Shot is a higher priority than Speed Shot).

I also don't think you always HAVE to use Charged Burst sequentially. Charged Burst >> Trickshot >> Charged Burst >> Aimed Shot >> Trickshot, Charged Burst >> Trickshot >> Speed Shot >> Trickshot >> Charged Burst >> Aimed Shot >> Trickshot are examples of cases where you want to spread them out to maximize Trickshots. The Smoking Barrels proc lasts a dang long time so you can always spread out the Charged Bursts: since Charged Burst is much lower on your priority than Trickshot, if you leave a Smoking Barrels proc unspent it's not a loss. Basically what I'm trying to say is that you only do Charged Burst >> Charged Burst if you have Aimed Shot AND Speed Shot on CD. This doesn't happen very often, from what I've noticed.

Trickshot really is the glue that holds together this spec now as opposed to just seeming like it was extra damage tacked on. If you have the priority correct, it's seemed possible so far to sustain DPS without having to use Flurry of Bolts. I've mostly PvP'd so I don't have parses in a PvE setting, which I'll get to soon, but I'm pretty certain I've sustained max regen for at least a minute with the spec without Cool Head (usually the second Flyby seems to require a Flurry afterwards or to just tank my energy and pop Cool Head).

Edited by ezrafetch

I've been playing my Marksmanship Sniper since 2.0 rolled out, and it seems pretty overpowered. I like how they revamped the mechanic, but they really should nerf the damage done by Trickshot/Followthrough, or it'll be just too powerful. Otherwise it's pretty neat.

While I generally agree on the priority (see next paragraph for slight amendment), I've personally found this to be a better starter: Flyby >> Charged Burst >> Trickshot >> Charged Burst >> Sabotage Charge >> Aimed Shot >> Trickshot >> Speed Shot >> Trickshot, and that pretty much walks you into the priority flow. I prefer this one since when you chain Flyby into Speed Shot, you end up digging yourself into an energy hole channeling Speed Shot (energy spent at cast) straight from Flyby (energy spent at end of activation). You spend 37 energy straight off the bat (31 if your energy regen tick occurs in that span), so you end up crimping your energy at the start. I tried this for awhile and I always ended up having to go to my first Flurry faster than when I use the starting rotation I give above. While you end up spending 5 extra energy on your first Charged Burst, you get a tick (or two) of energy regen during activation, and it gets you into your double-stack Aimed Shot much faster, which does far more damage than Speed Shot (also, in general Aimed Shot is a higher priority than Speed Shot).

I also don't think you always HAVE to use Charged Burst sequentially. Charged Burst >> Trickshot >> Charged Burst >> Aimed Shot >> Trickshot, Charged Burst >> Trickshot >> Speed Shot >> Trickshot >> Charged Burst >> Aimed Shot >> Trickshot are examples of cases where you want to spread them out to maximize Trickshots. The Smoking Barrels proc lasts a dang long time so you can always spread out the Charged Bursts: since Charged Burst is much lower on your priority than Trickshot, if you leave a Smoking Barrels proc unspent it's not a loss. Basically what I'm trying to say is that you only do Charged Burst >> Charged Burst if you have Aimed Shot AND Speed Shot on CD. This doesn't happen very often, from what I've noticed.

Trickshot really is the glue that holds together this spec now as opposed to just seeming like it was extra damage tacked on. If you have the priority correct, it's seemed possible so far to sustain DPS without having to use Flurry of Bolts. I've mostly PvP'd so I don't have parses in a PvE setting, which I'll get to soon, but I'm pretty certain I've sustained max regen for at least a minute with the spec without Cool Head (usually the second Flyby seems to require a Flurry afterwards or to just tank my energy and pop Cool Head).

I understand where you're coming from. I'll have to give that a try. I just want to kind of throw out my logic for what I do. I have the +10 energy talent (because I needed to get to Sabateur's Utility Belt for the 3s cd on Thermal Grenade), so the 31-37 energy off the bat doesn't make me dip. Additionally, I usually pop Burst Volley right after that speed shot -> trickshot, which gives my energy regen a big boost and allows me to really go wild from there. I think in a mobile beginning of a fight, that CB -> TS would be very useful due to the insta-CB. My main reasoning for (almost) never using CB just once is that while using the two CB's separately does still give you 2 stacks of Charged Aim, you lose the free Trickshot proc from consecutive CB's - so your example would actually have less Trickshots than you listed. I do agree (as stated previously) that 2 stack Aimed Shot takes precedence over Speed Shot, but without the 2 stacks of Charged Aim SS would take priority. I will have to test this on dummies to see what difference these two openings would have.

I actually seem to get AS and SS on cd at the same time quite often. They usually (with the exception of a TS after both) follow each other quite routinely. Maybe that is why I am more comfortable using 2x CB instead of weaving CB's?

I also agree. Flurry is very rarely used now, and there are seriously prolonged periods where it doesn't get touched. Cool Head is more of an "I don't know *** I did but I fell low?" button now as opposed to basically being an "on cooldown" ability for me. Overall, I love the new MM changes.

I agree with everything from ezrafetch's post. That initial rotation is what I came up with. I would tack on Burst Volley >> Speed Shot >> Trick Shot

I would also throw a Flourish shot in there somewhere near the beginning for Armor Pen, depending on group comp.

Energy management is hilarious now. I think I've used Cool Head once since 2.0 hit. And it was because I was spamming AoEs on a trash pack. I've gone entire boss fights without using it and maybe only 1 or 2 uses of Flurry.

Just a follow up, I tried your opening in several hm's last night and actually found it more to my liking. I still pop BV (as the above poster stated) in there somewhere but otherwise use that now, as it flows very well.

• 2 weeks later...

I hate it.

They made the new rotation too simplistic and you never run out of energy. there is no bonus for being a good player (energy management). used to be great, i have trickshot up every 6 seconds, now you have it up every 3 seconds and it's boring. You barely have any time for charged burst, and you're supposed to do it twice before and aimed shot?

The spec is dead to me, gotta go DF now.

Dont listen to the guy above me. I love the new SS.

Ive even figured out a good rotation (I think)

CB > TS > CB > AS > TS > CB > TS > SS > TS > CB

Though for that rotation to work properly you need to be atleast level 36 (2 points in Recoil Control and actualy having Speed Shot)

The one bad thing though is Burst Volley got nerfed so hard its now useless... It was useless in Pre 2.0 but now its not even worth the 1 point. Ideal SS build is http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#700rsbrbMkRrfkdZrcZM.3 If your not running that build as a pure SS then your an idiot.

Edited by Kaos_KidSWTOR
Minor edit to rotation

Neither of those rotations actually gains you a trickshot. Compare

Charged Burst >> Trickshot >> Charged Burst >> Aimed Shot >> Trickshot

Charged Burst >> Charged Burst >> Trickshot >> Aimed Shot >> Trickshot

or

Charged Burst >> Trickshot >> Speed Shot >> Trickshot >> Charged Burst >> Aimed Shot >> Trickshot

Charged Burst >> Charged Burst >> Trickshot >> Speed Shot >> Trickshot >> Aimed Shot >> Trickshot

They both use the same skills, just one uses the CB's sequentially while the other spreads them out. The difference is, the sequential rotations can be used any time, while the non-sequential only work when you haven't used trickshot for 9 seconds. In fact, I don't see a way you wouldn't chain directly into the sequential rotation from yours without casting a bunch of solo Charged Bursts that don't proc TS.

Basically, the only way you can TS is to (in order of DPS):

-Cast Quickdraw (last 30%, limited by QD CD)

-Cast aimed shot [ideally a 1.5s cast] (limited by AS cooldown)

-Cast speedshot (limited by SS cooldown)

-Cast 1 charged burst and have TS not be on cooldown (only applicable at the very beginning of the fight, or during phase transitions)

-Cast 2 charged burst (any time)

You're limited in the number of TS you can cast by the AS and SS cooldowns, and I can't see a special ordering of abilities that will allow you more than 3 TS per 12sec rotation. Spreading your your TS like that lets you front load a bit of damage, and the second CB will be at a reduced cost, but will do no more net damage over the whole sequence than using sequential CBs.

Edited by namesaretough

I can't figure out if that's supposed to be a PvP spec (it's not a good one) or a PvE spec (...it's not good for that either).

How is it not good for both? you cant tell me you actually like Covered Escape, Spacer , Smoke Grenade, and Burst Volley? all 4 of those talents do jack **** compared to other talents. That build is meant to cover all the bases (roughly) the PvP talents of Trip Shot and Kneecappin' are actually decent in PvE. If some mob is coming up to me and my Comp or the tank is not paying attention i can stop them in their tracks. Spacer and Smoke Grenade are both highly situational talents. Burst Volley makes me gag every time i read the description. Trust me when you run this build you will never switch back. also Gearing for it is simple. stack to about 10% alacrity (personally i will stack to about 15%) and the rest gets dumped into Power. Crit and Surge are useless for SS.

How is it not good for both? you cant tell me you actually like Covered Escape, Spacer , Smoke Grenade, and Burst Volley? all 4 of those talents do jack **** compared to other talents. That build is meant to cover all the bases (roughly) the PvP talents of Trip Shot and Kneecappin' are actually decent in PvE. If some mob is coming up to me and my Comp or the tank is not paying attention i can stop them in their tracks. Spacer and Smoke Grenade are both highly situational talents. Burst Volley makes me gag every time i read the description. Trust me when you run this build you will never switch back.

I assumed this was a pvp build, I hope you at least attempted to focus on that. You're missing diversion, which is your death sentence for other snipers and gunslingers. The accuracy debuff is great when a mara or sniper is on your healer or ball carrier, but I guess you're not in to the whole "team player" thing. The knockback from spacer is nice for when melee is on you, but I suppose it isn't "necessary", although the reduced cast time makes it more likely someone will still be standing in flyby when it actually hits. Burst volley is a great burst damage cooldown. Given your stance on alacrity I figured you'd at least take it for the 10% bonus. I can't imagine giving up burst volley and diversion for 2 points in black market mods.

As far as pve goes: Cool under pressure? useless. Heads up? useless. Kneecappin? may as well be useless (you already have so many tools to control a mob until the tank takes it back). Stay low? useless, except for some extremely niche situations in a very few boss fights. Percussive shot? actually BAD to have. You need to take some of these to get Burst Volley, but you hate that talent, so... yea.

Gearing for it is simple. stack to about 10% alacrity (personally i will stack to about 15%) and the rest gets dumped into Power. Crit and Surge are useless for SS.

"The rest gets dumped into power"? Stats don't work like that.

Edited by namesaretough

I can't figure out if that's supposed to be a PvP spec (it's not a good one) or a PvE spec (...it's not good for that either).

No independent Anarchy or Burst Volley (yes, this IS a dps increase, especially with the energy boost and the alacrity), yet you have Cool Under Pressure? No Spacer? (Seriously?), yet you have Leg Shot and Kneecappin' talented? If this is meant to be a pve build...

To quote you, if you use this build, "you're" an idiot (the guy who wrote that, not the guy I'm quoting).

EDIT: Now I know you're a troll. You ignore Accuracy completely in your "stat gearing", and say to stay away from Surge. Okay.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#700rcrbbRkRrfkzzZbIZM.3 is imo the optimal 2.0 SS build. Crit has become so bad that I would take the 2 points in alacrity over 2 in crit, and 5% dmg to flyby (with all the SS buffs, and the pvp 2set bonus) and to sabo charge is worth more than a 3rd point in crit or another point elsewhere.

Edited by emidas

No independent Anarchy or Burst Volley (yes, this IS a dps increase, especially with the energy boost and the alacrity), yet you have Cool Under Pressure? No Spacer? (Seriously?), yet you have Leg Shot and Kneecappin' talented? If this is meant to be a pve build...

To quote you, if you use this build, "you're" an idiot (the guy who wrote that, not the guy I'm quoting).

EDIT: Now I know you're a troll. You ignore Accuracy completely in your "stat gearing", and say to stay away from Surge. Okay.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#700rcrbbRkRrfkzzZbIZM.3 is imo the optimal 2.0 SS build. Crit has become so bad that I would take the 2 points in alacrity over 2 in crit, and 5% dmg to flyby (with all the SS buffs, and the pvp 2set bonus) and to sabo charge is worth more than a 3rd point in crit or another point elsewhere.

The problem here is, Flyby is incredibly niche. on my Operative i rarely find myself using Orbital Strike. and my GS is currently level 30 and my father has a 50 Sniper (barely plays it though) and when he does use orbital its in a dire situation to kill a mob when either he or Kalyo is near death (been telling him to use Lokin but he insists Kalyo is better...) He runs more PvE based has no Imperial Demarcation, or Debilitating Shots. He did take Sniper Volley but NEVER uses it. I took it a step further and am not taking it. Its incredibly niche. Same goes for Covered Escape when are you going to be moving out of cover in PvE? Almost never, There are a few cases (SOA, FB/SC in EC and some others) where you do need to move but that 20% defense is not much. On the subject of ACC i knew i need atleast 100% ACC that's why i didn't talk about it. Its a given that any class needs 100% ACC. Crit and Surge have been incredibly gimped in 2.0 and were bad stats to begin with. If we still needed crits from CB and SS to proc the 1.5 AS then crit would be more important. but that's behind us now. Surge is and has been a bad stat compared to Power. I am an Alacrity lover because i don't want to run low on power in a dire situation when im almost dead which is when you need to be more aware of what your doing which is also a good segway into my next point. Cool Under Pressure, Its a godsend in just about any situation. the old Cool Under Pressure was incredibly niche, the new one is a talent ANY full spec should try to take. Your spending 95% of your time in cover, Cover has 85% of your attacks so it makes sense to be buffing Cover to be more useful. Percussive Shot is not useless its useful for many situations. Ive had times when ive over bounded Bowdarr's threat and something was coming after me so i hit 2 CB's and an AS and knocked them back while dealing damage Cover Pulse deals 0 Damage while AS deals 5k+ I would much rather be able to deal damage while knocking someone back then deal no damage. Thats why i don't have Spacer, I already get some activation time off of Flyby with alacrity and 2 extra meters on Cover Pulse big whoop... On to the useless Smoke Grenade, Ive never found myself in a fight against a sniper/other GS that i haven't won unless they were exponentially higher level or higher geared. I could see some minor uses in the case of melee. But they cant leap to me when im in cover so what extra advantage am i gaining? Minor extra usefulness for Huttball. Ok you may have convinced me a bit to take Diversion but where will i put it on my Hotbar? its already filled when i hit 36 and get Speed Shot. I guess i could take up a mouse button for it...

There's me showing a bit of intelligence in this forum of idiots...

Good Hunting,

Ceskill Starbound

flyby is incredibly niche.

surge have been incredibly gimped in 2.0 and were bad stats to begin with

cool under pressure, its a godsend in just about any situation.

there's me showing a bit of intelligence in this forum of idiots...

>.> 45

Edited by namesaretough

Crit has become so bad that I would take the 2 points in alacrity over 2 in crit

Crit isn't bad. Crit is exactly the same as it was before 2.0. 1% crit still means one more attack out of 100 will crit, and a crit still does more damage based on your surge and any other crit modifiers. The amount of crit % you gain per point of crit RATING is what got decreased. I admit that I haven't done the math to confirm that putting points in the crit talent is the no-brainer I thought it was, but just because you aren't stacking crit rating in your gear don't write off taking crit % talents.

Edited by namesaretough

The problem here is, Flyby is incredibly niche. on my Operative i rarely find myself using Orbital Strike. and my GS is currently level 30 and my father has a 50 Sniper (barely plays it though) and when he does use orbital its in a dire situation to kill a mob when either he or Kalyo is near death

Just gonna stop you here.

Your father is terrible. In PvE you use Flyby/Orbital as an opener in solo/small group PvE. It's too long a cast to use in emergencies like that, the pushback makes it even longer, and sometimes you won't even get it off, plus there's the one second wait before damage starts after you cast it. Unless you lead with dirty kick, and even then you're better off pulse detonating, leg shotting, and blowing them away.

Open with Flyby/Orbital followed by thermals and/or sweeping blasters in those situations, however, and the entire spawn is dead before it knows what's going on. You should be using it to open on groups every time it's off cool down (every other, or every third fight).

Meanwhile in PvP it's fantastic for node protection, and in Raids/FPs it's one of the best abilities for clearing large trash pulls or boss adds.

Again: You're using it all the time.

And on Burst Volley you should be using that pretty much constantly in PvE as well, as speed shots is fantastic DPS, and immediately finishes cooldown on and activates Trick Shot, while Burst Volley is also increasing energy regeneration and alacrity. You should be using it basically every time you can.

And in PvP I shouldn't have to explain the usefulness of a speed shot -> trick shot -> hasted speed shot -> trick shot. So long as you're in a situation where someone doesn't see you/can't LoS within 5 seconds, you basically win. Even just the second half of that (hasted speed shot -> trick shot) is incredibly useful.

It's not niche at all.

Basically all of your points are like this.

You don't actually understand anything about how the class operates (and apparently neither does your father), and yet. . . so many words.

Edited by KryloKillian

The problem here is, Flyby is incredibly niche. on my Operative i rarely find myself using Orbital Strike. and my GS is currently level 30 and my father has a 50 Sniper (barely plays it though) and when he does use orbital its in a dire situation to kill a mob when either he or Kalyo is near death (been telling him to use Lokin but he insists Kalyo is better...) He runs more PvE based has no Imperial Demarcation, or Debilitating Shots. He did take Sniper Volley but NEVER uses it. I took it a step further and am not taking it. Its incredibly niche. Same goes for Covered Escape when are you going to be moving out of cover in PvE? Almost never, There are a few cases (SOA, FB/SC in EC and some others) where you do need to move but that 20% defense is not much. On the subject of ACC i knew i need atleast 100% ACC that's why i didn't talk about it. Its a given that any class needs 100% ACC. Crit and Surge have been incredibly gimped in 2.0 and were bad stats to begin with. If we still needed crits from CB and SS to proc the 1.5 AS then crit would be more important. but that's behind us now. Surge is and has been a bad stat compared to Power. I am an Alacrity lover because i don't want to run low on power in a dire situation when im almost dead which is when you need to be more aware of what your doing which is also a good segway into my next point. Cool Under Pressure, Its a godsend in just about any situation. the old Cool Under Pressure was incredibly niche, the new one is a talent ANY full spec should try to take. Your spending 95% of your time in cover, Cover has 85% of your attacks so it makes sense to be buffing Cover to be more useful. Percussive Shot is not useless its useful for many situations. Ive had times when ive over bounded Bowdarr's threat and something was coming after me so i hit 2 CB's and an AS and knocked them back while dealing damage Cover Pulse deals 0 Damage while AS deals 5k+ I would much rather be able to deal damage while knocking someone back then deal no damage. Thats why i don't have Spacer, I already get some activation time off of Flyby with alacrity and 2 extra meters on Cover Pulse big whoop... On to the useless Smoke Grenade, Ive never found myself in a fight against a sniper/other GS that i haven't won unless they were exponentially higher level or higher geared. I could see some minor uses in the case of melee. But they cant leap to me when im in cover so what extra advantage am i gaining? Minor extra usefulness for Huttball. Ok you may have convinced me a bit to take Diversion but where will i put it on my Hotbar? its already filled when i hit 36 and get Speed Shot. I guess i could take up a mouse button for it...

There's me showing a bit of intelligence in this forum of idiots...

Good Hunting,

Ceskill Starbound

You have zero idea how your own class works.

Flyby/Orbital Strike is one of your biggest damaging abilities as a raiding Slinger. If you're not 55, you shouldn't be a part of this discussion at -any- point.

Burst Volley gives you 10% alacrity, and 2 energy/sec regen with a 1/3 uptime. That's not niche, that is a straight dps gain even without pulling Speed Shot off cd.

This is the second post I've seen from you yesterday that tries to paint you in an intelligent light, but misses the mark completely. Please study up on some of the literature lying around the forums and get more experience with your class before joining in these discussions and derailing them.

Just gonna stop you here.

Basically all of your points are like this.

You don't actually understand anything about how the class operates (and apparently neither does your father), and yet. . . so many words.

Im going to stop you here. I completely understand Sharpshooter. Its SINGLE target Burst DPS. This is not an AOE class. Your meant to hit ONE target like a truck. Orbital/Flyby is an AOE skill. We dont get any damage buffs for Flyby. thats in Sab tree. Sure we get some minor things like Spacer, and the CD reducer but we arent meant to be religously using Flyby like our life depends on it. Flyby is there for when you need to keep a lot of mobs at bay or your in a bad spot. Ready For Anything kinda defeats the purpose of Flyby for single node defence in PvP since i can spot a stealther when i have 30 Stacks of RFA from like halfway across the map. Even when they use Sneak/Force Cloak i can still spot them from about 20 Meters. So Flyby's Single node defence purpose is kinda defeated by RFA.