Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Criticism of the Reward Structure in SWTOR

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Criticism of the Reward Structure in SWTOR

Khaleijo
01.20.2020 , 04:30 PM | #11
While I get where people complaining about the rewards are coming from, I really miss the times when fun was enough reason to play a game. I know that especially the 5.0 cycle taught players to count the worth of any ingame activity by how many command point/crates and conquest points it earned per hour and they do the very same now with the new system. But maybe that is actually the flawed point of view.
Ops are fun, FPs are fun, class story are fun. At least to me even after now 8 years. From time to time I even enjoy the old daily areas. My guild runs operation because it's fun to play them together. For us, the achievements and conquest are just a nice bonus but not the main reason we do them.
If the game isn't fun for you without rewards, maybe ask for making it fun again rather than implementing rewards that make you do stuff you don't really enjoy anyway. Since it still won't be fun and you'd more or less get payed in goods for doing it. How often has someone wrote in this forum, it's a game, not work.
Rewards are nice, no question, but as soon they are the only reason to do something, that something inherently is something you don't really want to do and just get manipulated by your "greed" to do it.
Freund werben, 7 Tage Probeabo: www.swtor.com/r/GJhHrY

Anyaka_Jedi
01.20.2020 , 04:31 PM | #12
The point of 6.0 was to get gear no matter the content played. That it would be proportionate to the difficulty and time investment, sadly that is not the case.. in the same amount of time, You get more rewards from spamming a few MM hammerstation than doing a NiM ops. You might seem to think it's a few pixels difference, but the end result is that less ppl do harder content because if this. Sure, I que random flashpoints because I'm sick to death of hammerstation, but I am seeing less ppl willing to do ops.

sharkfishman
01.20.2020 , 05:59 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Khaleijo View Post
While I get where people complaining about the rewards are coming from, I really miss the times when fun was enough reason to play a game. I know that especially the 5.0 cycle taught players to count the worth of any ingame activity by how many command point/crates and conquest points it earned per hour and they do the very same now with the new system. But maybe that is actually the flawed point of view.
Ops are fun, FPs are fun, class story are fun. At least to me even after now 8 years. From time to time I even enjoy the old daily areas. My guild runs operation because it's fun to play them together. For us, the achievements and conquest are just a nice bonus but not the main reason we do them.
If the game isn't fun for you without rewards, maybe ask for making it fun again rather than implementing rewards that make you do stuff you don't really enjoy anyway. Since it still won't be fun and you'd more or less get payed in goods for doing it. How often has someone wrote in this forum, it's a game, not work.
Rewards are nice, no question, but as soon they are the only reason to do something, that something inherently is something you don't really want to do and just get manipulated by your "greed" to do it.
"Fun" is always subjective.

"Satisfying" is also subjective.

For many people, "fun" and "satisfying" both are tied to appropriate rewards. You're telling me that you would happily run operations even if there were no drops, achievements, gear, decos or anything else? No acknowledgement you actually accomplished anything, except for getting a lockout?

I agree that content design also contributes significantly to whether something is "fun" or "boring," but it's not realistic at this point for them to create enough new content to fill people with emotion who have likely already run Karagga's Palace hundreds or thousands of times. Even the best content/food/movies, etc. get old after you've experienced them hundreds of times. Add an achievement for watching that movie one more time, or a remake of the same movie, and suddenly you've breathed new life into it. At least, that's what I personally find fun.

There needs to be a purpose to what I'm doing, and DXUN, while fresh, just doesn't do it for me without the rewards. It was exciting the first few times, but it's not worth the hassle of putting a group together.
For my friends, click my referral link for awesome free stuff.
For my enemies, click it just to spite me.

"Don't get cocky."

Anyaka_Jedi
01.20.2020 , 06:19 PM | #14
A few expansions ago you had such a thing as highlighted hardmode ops. While yes ppl spammed KP and EV, because the best gear dropped from these ops, you had even more ppl trying out other harder content and there was a significant amount of pickup groups willing to maybe farm them but also take new players along. There was an incentive and it is lacking now.

sayNih
01.20.2020 , 07:58 PM | #15
So if I queue unranked and get an arena, how is that easier than Ranked? It's the same map and objectives.

And where is the gear progression for OW PvP? How many conquest points should we get for guarding a Named Commander for an entire week?
""*

Darkchip
01.20.2020 , 08:26 PM | #16
This about sums up just about any RPG nowadays, it's all about trying to get new players happy and keeping everyone content.

Me personally i hate this new system i HATE IT SO *********** MUCH i think i have run 1 ops this whole xpax 1 because their is not only not a need to do so but no real drive to do so.

This type of gearing system belongs in the trash because not only will it stagnate the game just look at wow while their are a few guilds that do raids they are nowhere near what they used to be all because of the mythic+ system which people warned blizz about but no one lissioned and now they can't do anything about it and the raiding sence is losing players like crazy because other then the mythic mount their is no drive for people to go in their.

Same as this game you put a vender on the fleet that you can just buy all the end game shells and then you just run like 5 vet flashpoints and boom you are geared up and ready to go.... who the hell thought that was a good idea.

Even just getting the fragments to buy your sets and tacts takes at most like 1-2 days of just running flashpoinst which me and a guildy have been doing while we just get our conquest up and testing toons to see which class we like with the 6.0 changes and it is so bad.

Their used to be a gear chain which every MMO used and it was good and healthy since it ment people were always running all the content, you a fresh max lvl well into battle of ilum fps, then it was EV then KP and so on and so forth people ran everything and their was always people doing all content which was good, i can't tell you how since to death i am of hammer station now, the only reason i still run the damn this is that i want the box rewards for having everything ticked if i could removed 1-2 it would easly be kuat and hammer.

Will bioware fix this issue HA no they arn't going to fix anything just look at the 6.1 changes they proposs they don't know *** they are doing.

Edit 1: Also it's a way for them to extend the amount of content that is in the game in that everything gives out top rewards making it so that the devs don't have to make longer and more engaging content, i can't even remember the last time we truely had a good new area to the game that came with dailys, wb's, interesting new enemys and just new secret and fun stuff for us all the do maybe SoR.

KendraP
01.21.2020 , 01:29 AM | #17
This issue is exacerbated by the simple fact that the current level 75 endgame consists of 2 bosses and a buggy FP.

BW logic:
I cant afford to create new content > ok let's rescale everything to be relevant all the time > oh no, now I can't do that either > awesome, let's just keep all the old content where is was last expansion, but raise the level cap to call it a major expansion

Seriously, we'd all prefer more, actual new content. We all also know that's next to impossible. So suck it up BW and raise the ruddy level cap, or why am I grinding gear that's literally pointless outside of 2 bosses.

Tsillah
01.21.2020 , 01:48 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by sayNih View Post
So if I queue unranked and get an arena, how is that easier than Ranked? It's the same map and objectives.

And where is the gear progression for OW PvP? How many conquest points should we get for guarding a Named Commander for an entire week?
Because ranked comes with seasonal rewards and stuff, you'll generally find the more dedicated players in ranked rather than unranked. It's not always like that but as a general rule you could say that you won't run into really skilled players as much in unranked as you would in ranked. That's what makes unranked easier by comparison.

OW PvP is not an actual activity that BW cares about. They allow you to do it if you really want to, they don't encourage it in any shape or form and when I have seen OW PvP, it's generally guilds doing kill trading for achievements.
Referral link for a week sub and some goodies: http://www.swtor.com/r/jMVTyB

Tsillah
01.21.2020 , 01:50 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Anyaka_Jedi View Post
After doing all the things, you mentioned I'm stuck gambling my tech fragments on the unique item of Kai Zyken in the hopes I get my setbonus... That's the other problem of the rewards some setbonuses aren't on the vendor, even doing dxun HM still haven't completed my set. It is galling that a a guardian or shadow can spam MM HS and with a max 18k tech fragments get the best in slot setbonus.
And then the question is: where's the fun in that? I just can't be bothered to even go there. I got the best set bonuses available for all my toons from the vendor. I understand what you are doing but I think it's all wrong that this is what it has come to for you.
Referral link for a week sub and some goodies: http://www.swtor.com/r/jMVTyB

Transcendent
01.21.2020 , 11:03 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Tsillah View Post
Yeah to me that about sums it up for me. I can't subscribe to this way of thinking, but that probably puts me and the OP in a minority of what's left of the player base here.
I mean that as I play the game to have fun and as much as I dislike saying it, some of the community of players are complete idiots and I don't want to run the harder content with them.

Quote: Originally Posted by Tsillah View Post
I don't know what this slow grind is that you speak of. It's probably something you decided for yourself.
Time factor and more interested in doing things that don't provide a gazillion tech fragments. There's plenty of things to do in the game that actually provide zero tech fragments for your time. Certainly more fun than some of the other stuff that does
REFERRAL LINK - Previous subscribers get seven days of subscription, one Complimentary Character Transfer (and more unlocks) - New players get a Jumpstart bundle with unlocks, for free!- Literally the small print