Slicing post-nerf, please look at the numbers BW

Renifizzle

Please look at the numbers now Bioware.

I am not jumping up and down saying "PUT IT BACK". I am saying, however, that now it loses money.

Why should I pay 1400 credits on a C6 lockbox search for a box that returns 1000 credits?

Why should I pay 1900 credits for a high reward C5 lockbox that returns 1400 credits?

Remember your design goals BW, slicing is a mission skill for non-crafters. It is a way for them to utilize the crew skills to make money or get gear without entering the crafting world. This skill is no longer profitable as a mission skill.

Please consider adjusting it so the profit margin is smaller, not a complete loss now.

Please give BW some constructive forum posts on this topic, thank you.

EDIT 12/28/11 9AM MST

I apologize, I have not been able to keep on top of this properly for the scope of this thread.

Also, the numbers I got were a result of previously unaccepted mission rewards vs the new item system. It appears that there is now a higher chance of uncommon T6 boxes doing the Moderate/Abundant missions so the profit margin isn't quite as atrocious (read: loss) as it initially seemed.

SirFlashington has done me the favor of compiling a live editable google spreadsheet that you can enter your results in. I forsee this getting wildly out of control if not edited responsibly, so if you have constructive feedback that you would like to give to the community and BW, please enter good information.

Edited by Renifizzle

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember your design goals BW, slicing is a mission skill for non-crafters. It is a way for them to utilize the crew skills to make money or get gear without entering the crafting world.

Is there a dev post to backup this quote? I'm rather curious about it.

Okay, I think a 50% reduction was way to much... 20-25% would be reasonable but this is way to much... Not only do you lose money sending your companion out but you still have the chance to fail so then that money is entirely lost. Guess slicing is now a money pit, almost makes sense!

im in the process of running my second wave of missions on slicing and if they are like the first ones then, yes slicing is yielding negative results on green boxes. pretty much pointless since im running rich missions with 2 out of 4 companions.

Now you're like every other craft where you don't earn money going on missions.

if thats how u view crafting lol.

1) u can sell mats

2) u can sell crafted items

3) u can make items that are beneficial to u and save urself money

crafting is only a loss if u make it that way.

Edited by Sireene
insulting

Except slicing doesn't craft things.

They truly did ruin an entire profession. I was of the belief it needed a small nerf, but here is what was done.

Before, the highest credits/hour was level 3-4 missions. Now these 3-4 missions cost roughly 80% more than they did before, and return less than half what they did before.

You actually lose money doing slicing missions...a profession dedicated to money. What's interesting is that before, our guild construct was 2-3 slicers to fund the monetary needs of the crafters/guild/respecs/etc, and it worked out well. We used a companion crew skill to assist our guilds. Now we're just useless.

Oh well :p Congrats, community, for claiming slicing is OP when you didn't even make it past level 30. =/

Oh well :p Congrats, community, for claiming slicing is OP when you didn't even make it past level 30. =/

you hit it on the nose bro. lower levels hear bout ppl making hundreds of thousands of credits and dont realize that one skill can cost anywhr from 30k-50k easy, speeder training 210k(lvl 40)/330k(lvl50k), not including speeders themselves. plus the cust of stims, repairs, ship parts. they dont understand the way the money system works yet, so they think 1mil credits is a lot.

Slicing is a strange beast and what they do with it will reflect a lot on how they think it should function. First, remember that Slicing is a gathering profession, not a mission profession. You can go out into the world and use it to collect from resource nodes essentially yielding free credits. Second, as a community we don't have enough statistical data at this point to talk about the bonus items from *any* profession.

It's possible that Slicing is intended to function as a gathering skill with the ability to run missions for a chance at the rare items (in this case new missions and cybertech recipes) just the same way that Bioanalysis is a gathering skill that you occassionally run as a mission hoping to get the rare Samples and Compounds. If that is the case, you can predict that the prices for those Shematics and Missions is going to go through the roof since there is no longer any other upside to running Slicing missions and so players will have to price accordingly to make their money back.

Will the changes make or break Slicing? Doubtful. As it stands, Slicing is no longer a no-brainer the way it was yesterday. It will certainly have an impact on the general economy though as the availability of the Missions and Schematics from Slicing become more rare (and that may be a major motivator for Bioware).

Rich Yield spent 560 credits got 500 from the lockbox itself. Thank you Bioware. Good job. No items from the lockbox to resell, no resources it doesn't help contribute towards a crafting profession. It's completely pointless now that it doesn't even come close to breaking even. Edited by TheRealBrave

Please realize this skill is not intended for crafting, as a crafter you will make money off crafting items. This is now entirely unprofitable.

Well this is partially untrue. Slicing does have augment missions and there are items that Cybertech and Biochem make that have Augment slots. As far as I know, this is the only way to get those Augments.

My idea of how they should have balanced things is to add some sort of bonus vendor trash item to the other gathering crew skill mission results.

Edited by AilsaH

Dont forget that there are the slicing things out in the field that have no up front cost. Those are pure profit.

Are just the Moderate yield losing or at the Abundant and Rich and so on also losing?

All now lose money.

Not just small money, big money. We're talking losing 500-1000 credits per mission (30 minutes of crew time)

Edited by Renifizzle

Now you're like every other craft where you don't earn money going on missions.

Slicing was made for money returns and augments (that are pretty much useless). The crew skill was made for those that didn't really want to do any "crafting". No sense in being upset when you didn't know slicing was actually useful to later drop your skill to then have it nerfed the day after.

I hope everyone that wanted the nerf is ready for an effected trade market. I know I'm not spending any of my credits on the AH for awhile since things to me look severely overpriced and I know quite a few other slicers are gonna do exactly the same.

If they don't fix slicing shortly, I'll just quit crafting. I don't have the time to dedicate to other crew skills. Not when I'm on for only an hour at a time.