Dealing with Snipers.

Darth_Nihilis

I am a sentinel and one class that can be an annoyance is a sniper that gets the jump on you. What I mean is they set up behind cover. This makes it so i cannot leap to them to close the distance and they can beat on you while you try to close the distance. You can try to stealth but as soon as you get close they will knockback and root. If you decide to break that they can then stun you. That's not counting those that have entrenchment and cannot be stunned as well.

I usually don't have too much of a problem if I am able to leap to them first as I can get my rotation off. It just annoying in 1v1 or world pvp if they see you coming you have no force and no way to close gap.

Anyone have pointers what to do in this situation?

Edited by Darth_Nihilis

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if it is a good sniper no way u gona out dps him without jump and in cover u cant do it, also shield up is a problem....as a jug i will try to attack from a position where after knockback i can los, if he moves he dies if he doesnt i try to play the cd game and wait for my chance to close the gap(rage spec), it will always come down to the last blow... no matter what if u gona attack in the open while in cover most likely his gona win unless u just way outgear him

Yea, If I get first leap and get off FE I can usually win unless they are really good and have a lot of CDs. The problem is in a duel or they know I am coming and set up cover far enough away. just wasn't sure if there was something I was suppose to be doing if that happens.

If you have no objects to put between you and them, run until you do so. Innitiating the attack is a benefit for almost any class.

Now if you have and object to put between you and them, use it to close if possible, or force them to move, you then can leap to them if they are moving. if you see them in cover with black "wings" on the sides of their cover screen, get behind LOS and wait for those to go away. When those are not there, use choke, or and get them out of cover.

I made a sniper look silly on my sage the other day, but it takes having an awareness of environment and making sure you choose when engage. They got the drop on you? ****.

Camo out and find a better target. Snipers are your hard counter. They are the water to your fire. Sure, you might evaporate some water during the battle, but eventually it's going to put you out long before it's all gone. If you can get to one without their KB, then have at it, otherwise let the PTs and rDPS do their thing and LoS them.

My main is a Sniper, and let me tell you there is nothing more sweet than rooting a Jedi, putting down an Explosive Probe and firing an Ambush + Instant Snipe + Followthrough. If they didn't have shields up then I've probably just took off 7K of health or more before he's even touched me.

Hello there, I am a sniper specializing on defeating Sentinels, i take this more or less as a job given the current meta game and how important is to shutdown sentinels/maras in pvp. If you want to see how does it look for the other side, please consult my Sniper guide, the Sniper vs. Marauder section, you will learn quite a lot of stuff what we are doing against you.

Here are a few short tips for you if you plan to engage a sniper:

1. Learn to recognize the sniper specs. Just as your specs are entirely different so are ours and you cannot go against every sniper with the same mentality. Snipers lack stances, but they have certain specific abilities like interrogation probe for engineering, plasma probe for engineering, corrosive grenade for lethality. If you see neither of this than its Marksmanship (which you should fear the most).

2. Learn to predict your chance depending on what matchup you have. Some specs like Rage against lethality without ballistic dampers are quite decent if you happen to close the distance. The same Rage against a good 35/3/3 MM sniper with entrench available will almost always get you killed no matter how much effort you put into it. (simply because he can mitigate almost your entire smash damage).

3. If you really want to be very strong against snipers, then go carnage. It forces the sniper to react extremely quickly during very short window to your extremely high burst attacks. With some good opportunistic approach you will be in an excelent to position to beat him before he can even react. Remember, your Carnage burst matures even faster than MM burst. Lethality should be not difficult at all to handle. Also carnage with incredible speed, root cleansing force camo and 10m obfuscate is amazing.

4. The sniper will probably have an answer for your every defensive CD. (not all are good at this though). You will need to learn to master the combination of them all, including obfuscate (which has a incredible importance for you).

5. Be opportunistic, watch for moments when he is out of some CDs. Full resolve carnage against a sniper without evasion is 100% kill.

6. Map awareness. Watch how he places himself. Sniper hugging a wall or pillar = good news for you.

7. Consider using PvP adrenals against your counter classes. It's the same thing i am doing against assassins and concealment.

8. Oh and against a Top MM sniper with full HP on huttball catwalks.. just forget it. Ask your assassin friend for help, or gunslinger to deal with him. Don't call for PTs, they are even worse cannon fodder than you.

9. A pocket scoundrel healer should allow you to easily facetank any sniper effortlessly. Consider premading with them.

That's about it.

Edited by NoTomorrow

Whenever I am facing a good sniper in a WZ I always save my force push for them. When coordinated this allows me and my marauder friend to jump to him at the same time, and as full vengeance he has to eat a full master strike and then some.

you are talking about a jug which is a little different thing than a mara. Force push is easy to anticipate and block it with entrench. If for some weird reason i allowed a jug to jump on me (happens rarely), don't expect me to burn my CC during those 4 secs when you have unremetting. Suggestions against bad players are useful, but not always helpful.

you are talking about a jug which is a little different thing than a mara. Force push is easy to anticipate and block it with entrench. If for some weird reason i allowed a jug to jump on me (happens rarely), don't expect me to burn my CC during those 4 secs when you have unremetting. Suggestions against bad players are useful, but not always helpful.

I have a 50 slinger as well. Good slingers save entrench for when they know something is going to happen, but good slingers also kite instead of sitting there like a moron.

Entrench will rarely be used to directly counter a force push in the middle of the fight, depending on if anyone else is already targeting you.

Also it's not hard to tell when the giant blinders come up on the cover and not waste force push.

To add to Express' tips I'd add one of my own. If you happen to get in range of an engineering sniper then don't get too sure of yourself. If it's a 1 on 1 situation then you'll have to know how to use your defensive cd's extremely well otherwise you'll be finding yourself back at the respawn point.

Camo out and find a better target. Snipers are your hard counter. They are the water to your fire. Sure, you might evaporate some water during the battle, but eventually it's going to put you out long before it's all gone. If you can get to one without their KB, then have at it, otherwise let the PTs and rDPS do their thing and LoS them.

Stop posting misinformation. This is a misconception that is far too common on these forums. We have more ways to deal with snipers than they have for us. If you're a sentinel and losing to a sniper, you're simply not playing your class right.

but good slingers also kite instead of sitting there like a moron.

I stopped reading here. WHAT KITING AS A SNIPER? Against melee classes that can leap to you while you are out of cover (and thus provide them with 3 or more rage, 10% extra damage bonus from vindicator pvp bonus, and even 4s CC immunity bonus with extra Damage reduction, and also root yourself in place for 2-3 seconds)? Kiting against melee that can FULLY DPS ON THE MOVE? Are you trying to make the snipers on this forum more stupid so your melee friends have an easier time?

Sniper doesn't even have the a 50% snare or a force speed or something.

What are going to do? cover pulse him and run 3 meters away and risk other melees jump onto you? Really??

If the Melee is already withing 10m away from you, there is no stalmate here, one of you is going to die, either you or him. And kiting is not the way how you are going to win this duel. You have plenty of tools to handle melee.

Stop posting misinformation. This is a misconception that is far too common on these forums. We have more ways to deal with snipers than they have for us. If you're a sentinel and losing to a sniper, you're simply not playing your class right.

Polite, should I link again to that thread where other Marauder players have made fun of you saying that beat the best op healer on your server with watchman? Or should i link you another thread where you failed to provide a single counter argument how you would counter to specific sniper abilities?

It seems that you are only good at reporting my posts in hopes that you will be able to avoid my counter arguments.

Edited by NoTomorrow

I stopped reading here. WHAT KITING AS A SNIPER? Against melee classes that can leap to you while you are out of cover (and thus provide them with 3 or more rage, 10% extra damage bonus from vindicator pvp bonus, and even 4s CC immunity bonus with extra Damage reduction, and also root yourself in place for 2-3 seconds)? Kiting against melee that can FULLY DPS ON THE MOVE? Are you trying to make the snipers on this forum more stupid so your melee friends have an easier time?

Sniper doesn't even have the a 50% snare or a force speed or something.

What are going to do? cover pulse him and run 3 meters away and risk other melees jump onto you? Really??

If the Melee is already withing 10m away from you, there is no stalmate here, one of you is going to die, either you or him. And kiting is not the way how you are going to win this duel. You have plenty of tools to handle melee.

Seriously dude? I would love to face you on my melee.

If the fight starts at 30m you bet your *** I stay still, but if comes up to me when I'm focused on someone else, I kick in the nuts, walk 10m away, plop down, root, and start my rotation.

No way in hell am I sitting still on my slinger on quite a few occasions.

Seriously dude? I would love to face you on my melee.

If the fight starts at 30m you bet your *** I stay still, but if comes up to me when I'm focused on someone else, I kick in the nuts, walk 10m away, plop down, root, and start my rotation.

No way in hell am I sitting still on my slinger on quite a few occasions.

Don't try to save your face with some, "i stunned him and i moved a few meters = i kited him". This is not kiting. And good job on wasting your stun ON NOTHING while filling his resolve. I am sure you will not need this stun when he will pop up his undying rage.

If you were good you would have rooted him while he was still closing the distance.

Don't try to save your face with some, "i stunned him and i moved a few meters = i kited him". This is not kiting. And good job on wasting your stun ON NOTHING while filling his resolve. I am sure you will not need this stun when he will pop up his undying rage.

If you were good you would have rooted him while he was still closing the distance.

LOL I love elitists like you. Dude let's sit here and go through EVERY scenario on when to do what so we can call out how bad people are.

clearly I would do that if the root was up, but when I'm on target I like to root whoever I'm on so they can't LOS through my burst, so it is almost always on CD to start.

Thanks for the tips though :rolleyes:

LOL I love elitists like you. Dude let's sit here and go through EVERY scenario on when to do what so we can call out how bad people are.

clearly I would do that if the root was up, but when I'm on target I like to root whoever I'm on so they can't LOS through my burst, so it is almost always on CD to start.

Thanks for the tips though :rolleyes:

It's nothing personal and no elitism here, but when i hear word kite, i imagine a sorc using force speed, force slow, overload, stun, even creeping terror root. THIS is what i call kiting. When you say kiting with a sniper it more sounds like a sniper running arround a corridor with a hungry smash monkey humping on his back while the sniper tries to proc an insta snipe once upon a day :)

As for root spaming, well i'll defer to you when you feel that you can burst to 0 hp somebody thanks to the root or not, because if you didn't, your target is out of your LoS, still alive and your legshot gone.

Personally i would never stun the melee dude just for the sake of me getting 5 meters away which he will close the gap anyway. I would rather him waste some valuable CD before i stun him, like a Gore for example.

Edited by NoTomorrow

I play both Guardian and Gunslinger. I must say the Gunslinger (sniper) is probably the strongest class in the hands of an elite player. On my guardian, I've played a few times against seriously good Snipers. The bad/medium ones I own. The elite ones gives me a lot of trouble. They've got so many tools to control you, it's not even funny. Even when you do close in, you're lets say half health, and they're bunkered (impossible to CC) and can cast freely all their **** on you.

On my (half geared) gunslinger, I have no trouble soloing full WH people when I get the first shot. Have to agree, the only true counter, is LoS, or allies hanging next to you (the guardians LOVE closing in on you using a noob ally).

It's a hard match-up for guardians/sentinels, but I have to say they have it easy on so many other classes, it's only fair someone gets to have an edge against them.

I play both Guardian and Gunslinger. I must say the Gunslinger (sniper) is probably the strongest class in the hands of an elite player. On my guardian, I've played a few times against seriously good Snipers. The bad/medium ones I own. The elite ones gives me a lot of trouble. They've got so many tools to control you, it's not even funny. Even when you do close in, you're lets say half health, and they're bunkered (impossible to CC) and can cast freely all their **** on you.

On my (half geared) gunslinger, I have no trouble soloing full WH people when I get the first shot. Have to agree, the only true counter, is LoS, or allies hanging next to you (the guardians LOVE closing in on you using a noob ally).

It's a hard match-up for guardians/sentinels, but I have to say they have it easy on so many other classes, it's only fair someone gets to have an edge against them.

Again, good sents have no issues with them at all. Our counters are well played tankasins, not snipers. An OP can control me better than a sniper ever could, and dock my health really low right before I blow my cooldowns, self heals, and absolutely destroy them. A snipers only advantage is distance. You have 1-2 Knockbacks you can use, and roots. 1 hard stun. But that only helps you so much. Lets just say if the sents you're fighting just stand there, you're fighting bads.

Edited by PoliteAssasin

Again, please stop posting misinformation. I suggest everyone read this post for general info including sniper - marauder matchups

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=576490

Edited by Projawa

Snipers can kite and kite fairly well in the lethality spec. Setup up a stupid sent with corrosive dart, forcing them into Force Camo, finish setting up your dots when they reappear, leg shot, cull; half their hps are gone. Or just keep an eye on the sents on a rage-bender and when their overuse of force camo/defensives wear off... Boom, they are toast.

For those that don't know, you can set up your dots on the run, you do not need to be in cover. Cull is stationary, but if you leg shot before hand and they've wasted their cc breaker after a debilitate... stupid sent.

Edited by iSoldat

This.