Forcemuffin talks the good and bad of TOR so far

Forcemuffin

This is feedback, nothing more, nothing less.

TLDR version: read the post. Yes, you have the time, you're on the TOR forums. No, you probably don't have anything better to do.

Hi, I'm Forcemuffin. You don't know me, nor is it relevant that you do. I play lots of games, and have for years. I'll hop from The Old Republic to Megaman 5, Gears of War 3 to Final Fantasy 6, Bastion to Kirby Super Star, etc. I never beat the last boss of Wonder Boy in Monster World, though I just YouTubed the ending.

I like MMOs in a diversionary, "casual" way. "Casual" is in quotes because I despise the term, because "casual" and "hardcore" are wholly inadequate descriptors, but it's the language the kids speak these days, so whatever. MMOs are, to me, a form of time passing entertainment, meant to be fun but not to take seriously. (Examples of games worth taking seriously: most Street Fighter titles, the upcoming Skullgirls. You can put two and two together on your own as to why they're worth taking seriously and most MMOs aren't.)

That out of the way, I jumped into TOR from WoW. I still play WoW, though TOR has taken up much more of my MMO time lately. I suspect I'll bounce between the two, as both have things I really like, and much I dislike.

Here's what I like and dislike about TOR so far. Many WoW comparisons, which is unavoidable as TOR is really much like WoW.

+ The narrative. It's not the stuff of greatness, but it's much more involved than typical MMO fare, and I have genuine fun listening to my characters voice my choices...

- ... When they say what I intended them to say. Like in Mass Effect, the choice text and what my character says are often very different. While hitting ESC to restart a convo is nice (when soloing, anyway), I really shouldn't have to do it as frequently as I have.

+ The skill system/talent tree, with a point ever level 10-onwards, feels much like early WoW. Something new to look forward to every level!

- The talent system is like early WoW. Despite criticisms, most to all unfounded, the Mists of Pandaria talent philosophy is the *correct* one, baking in the "cookie cutter" stuff and presenting actual choice instead of fake choice (where you just look up a cookie cutter build that suits your current gear/playstyle). I suspect this will change, and I await BioWare's new take on talents: I suspect something kinda-sorta-but-not-quite-like Pandaria's, and TOR will be better for it.

+ Abilities feel cool, unique, and worthwhile, for the most part. There's a time and place for my Rage-spec Marauder to Smash, etc.

- Ability bloat. Another WoW problem, although only for certain classes (Shaman especially). More abilities does not necessarily mean more depth. Compare Capcom fighters to Namco ones: the former tend to have much fewer moves and much deeper strategy. I look at "Assault" and "Battering Assault" and wonder if these really needed to be two distinct moves, or at "Sprint" and wonder why it isn't just passive.

+ I don't have to stance dance. As a former WoW Warrior, I had so many macros and muscle memory programming sessions to get down what key did what ability in what stance -- or changed to what stance -- when. What. Who. Where. AAAGH:SHGFO:IYHP MISSINGNO

- I don't have to stance dance. I look at my unused stance/lightsaber charge/trooper cell and wonder why I really should have access to it. This is tied to ability bloat, something Blizz wants to cut down on in WoW, something I want to see BioWare cut down on in TOR.

+ Warzones are involving (narratively and mechanically), fun, and feature a much-needed Bolster mechanic! Seriously, Huttball is great.

- The "Throw the Huttball" ability shouldn't be buried in my General tab without my know-how. I needed to make a forum thread here just to find it again. However, that's not the real PvP con...

- MMO PvP is kinda messed up, and this isn't just a TOR and WoW issue. In a fighting game, I don't have to level up, say, Ryu. My Ryu and tournament champion Justin Wong's Ryu are both statistically the same. Wong will win 99 times out of 100 because he's better, not because his Ryu has a +234 Strength advantage thanks to his Armguards of the Redeemed Hado. PvP should really be about premades, with select abilities all balanced around PvP.

+ However, kudos for giving Taunt a PvP function, and a sensical one matching the ability's flavor at that. Thanks for NOTHING BLIZZARD.

+ Also, healthy XP and Credits for PvPing = really good idea. Seriously, for this sort of PvP, despite my grievances with it, kudos to BioWare for the thoughtful approach.

+ More enemy types than just "elite" and "not elite." Gives me a real idea of the power level I'm up against.

- Some "Strong" enemies have given me an "Elite"-level fight, and vice-versa, so there may be some encounter issues to iron out.

+ Companions feel powerful without me needing to control them. I avoid pet classes like the plague in other games, so I was iffy of TOR being the "pet class" MMO. Fortunately nothing could be further from the truth. I especially like that companions can be taken as a full-fledged party member into flashpoints.

- Somebody tell them not to stand in the fire. I get why they shouldn't automatically avoid danger, but methinks they should *sometimes* get out of trouble.

+ Aric Jorgan's lines.

- Vette's lines.

+ A ranged tank!

- The ranged tank has to tank from melee range.

+ I get my own ship!

+ This gets two plusses because BioWare has really made me feel like I HAVE MY OWN FREAKIN' SHIP.

+ Plenty of color crystals!

- It's really, really, really silly that red is a dark side color and blue/green are light side. As if that would matter to an actual Sith or Jedi. Minor issue, since we all know yellow and orange are the best.

+ Stylish graphics, and most rocks have a polygon count greater than Stormwind.

- I have to turn off shadows to get an acceptable frame rate in high traffic content (like PvP).

+ Grouping is actually fun (this is coming from a mostly solo player).

- No LFD tool. Make no mistake: not one human being, ever, EVER, has made a reasonable argument on the downfalls of WoW's Dungeon/Raid Finder tools. They don't ruin server communities as is often touted (and never backed with proof). They open up players to a much broader community, and give you the option to "effectively solo," tackling group content with a cross-server PUG without needing to hunt down groupmates on your own. This is actually a good thing, and TOR really, really needs it.

... Anywho, that's all. Wanted to get this all off my chest. Great, fun game, with room for growth and so much potential.

Well said! I just made my own, similar post noting things I'd like to see fixed/added, as well as a few things I really love. Somehow, I completely missed this one despite ranting about it for a good five minutes or so to a friend recently:

Somebody tell them not to stand in the fire. I get why they shouldn't automatically avoid danger, but methinks they should *sometimes* get out of trouble.

Not too bad. With all the flaming posts I have seen lately this was a pleasant surprise. Good job OP.

I disagree on the LFG tool. I wouldn't mind seeing an LFG tool be server only. Open up PvP warzones to multiple servers but not Flashpoints. At this point in the games life cycle you don't need to link multiple servers to get timely Flashpoint groups. In a couple years they will probably need to change that but for now lets keep flashpoints between members of the same server. I think that makes people more civil, when they know they have a reputation to think about. Some people, not all.

edit: Forcemuffin ftw :p I just noticed that - awesome

Edited by Uhuru

Hey Forcemuffin, I disagree. If you want to leave feedback, I suggest using bwacommunitysupport@bioware.com, that's where I was told to leave it and it will most assuredly be welcomed with open arms with the Bioware Forum people, who seem to be the only ones at Bioware capable of quickly responding to things. Does this count as 'flaming' or 'attacking' too? I can never tell.

Not too bad. With all the flaming posts I have seen lately this was a pleasant surprise. Good job OP.

I disagree on the LFG tool. I wouldn't mind seeing an LFG tool be server only. Open up PvP warzones to multiple servers but not Flashpoints. At this point in the games life cycle you don't need to link multiple servers to get timely Flashpoint groups. In a couple years they will probably need to change that but for now lets keep flashpoints between members of the same server. I think that makes people more civil, when they know they have a reputation to think about. Some people, not all.

edit: Forcemuffin ftw :p I just noticed that - awesome

I've encountered civil and not-so-civil people in LFD/LFR in WoW, both on and off my server. Behavior is not tied to server, though I agree it isn't strictly necessary yet.

Does this count as 'flaming' or 'attacking' too? I can never tell.

It counts as being cranky for no good reason. Hope this clarifies it.