Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Tanking fail

Monkeypuzzle
03.11.2012 , 07:48 PM | #11
Thanks man. Much appreciated.

APthug
03.12.2012 , 08:57 AM | #12
Vanguards are the best tanks in the game. They have the best aoe control, can tank at range to avoid any heavy melee based damage (not all the time since many skills have you getting up close, but still possible to tank at range) and they can kite melee mobs, which helps you avoid huge amounts of potential damage while keeping aggro. Keybind yo stuff!

Monkeypuzzle
03.12.2012 , 02:11 PM | #13
Is it worth switching to dps build until I'm nearing 30? Or should I stick at it?

unnkonnekted
03.12.2012 , 09:12 PM | #14
Dps is easier to level up with and progress through the game < 50

ArtMonster
03.13.2012 , 08:28 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by sanctified View Post
You're getting torn up because you aren't using crowd control, and you're attempting to AOE tank everything.

/thread
more truth here than you may realize.

"Play smart....play S-Mart."

ArtMonster
03.13.2012 , 08:38 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Monkeypuzzle View Post
Is it worth switching to dps build until I'm nearing 30? Or should I stick at it?
I shield spec'd the whole way without problems. ( actually better survivability during leveling I found) (( I started as an assault build, and switched and never looked back ))

keep your gear up to date. (<-this...it's a troopers way of survival)
Use your healer if you have problems staying alive.
Use you DPS comp if you have good defense, they will help take down mobs a lot quicker.
Dont be afraid to switch companions out for different situations.

I used a 'fully' tank build. (31/7/3)
http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#80...orogzZMcbZ0c.1The damage I put out isnt all that much compared to a dps toon, but with good gear I dont need to use a healer much and a DPS comp will take up the slack admirably.

.( I found that using Tanno Vik or Aric Jorgan while having 'guard' activated on them is a VERY lethal and effective combination while leveling ... you will be an arse-kicking duo )

Monkeypuzzle
03.13.2012 , 08:41 AM | #17
Thanks for that. Now at level 21, I'm slowly starting to feel more of a tank.
My next question is, the droid companion you get, who is a tank I believe, is he worth using since I am also a tank? I think he looks awesome.

ArtMonster
03.13.2012 , 09:01 AM | #18
My next question is, the droid companion you get, who is a tank I believe, is he worth using since I am also a tank? I think he looks awesome.
4X is ok as a shield tank.

but if you are the type to use 'storm' or are one to do close combat, 4X may piss you off if you dont disable his harpoon...lol.

he doesnt move into battle...he pulls, and uses range.

a viable tank, but not very mobile IMO.... if stationary fighting is your bag, he's good.

I am currently re-gearing him for range DPS personally.... I never had a use for him as a tank, as I was a full shield spec. But geared as a DPS I may use him more.

Personally I use Vik, Yuun and Jorgan. ( All DPS geared to compliment my troopers full shield tank build.)

I used Dorne a lot while leveling, when I felt lazy (lol...it's so easy to stay alive with her along)..but now at endgame, I dont use her much at all...the DPS guys get it done so much better and they help take mobs down in no time.

va_wanderer
03.13.2012 , 12:33 PM | #19
Good news here for you, actually.

Fit up 4X with parts that will take mods (Cybertechs make them, and they're commonly found on vendors from Coruscant onwards if you look). Prepare for double win.

What you do is take the defensive mods OUT of these and use them for your own armor. Replace them with Reflex armoring and mods and offensive enhancements/crystals. You get nice mods that are often tough to get otherwise, 4X becomes your new gun buddy. He actually makes a respectable DPS companion if you enjoy having a walking turret-o-death with you with a nice rate of fire, once you refit him appropriately.
Help unify PvP and PvE content- PvP+E! http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=298731

Cheeseblaster
03.13.2012 , 02:15 PM | #20
I used 4x for a while like mid 20's. I actually did Nar Shadda before Taris which I think is backwards, but with 4x i tore through Taris like nothing. I used Aric for Nar Shadda.

However once I got high 20's I switched to Elara most of the time and if you keep her gear up to date you are basically unstoppable. That's if you have patience cause it takes a littlr longer to end a fight but your health is never below 2/3rds.

I've used Elara a lot and have been able to do Heroics and FP's solo with her.

I'm up to Lvl 46 right now, but like someone else said once you hit 50 you have to change your gameplay a little. But you've got a while to go before that.
"This is war not kindergarten, suck it up"