How will you implement the legacy system for your toons?

Bobbyrab

So, I was thinking, how would I tie all my alts together as a family? Here’s how I plan to structure it:

They’re all siblings. More specifically, they’re half siblings, as a few will be non-humans. I thought it’d be kinda cool to imagine that some great man was the father who, well, had a few baby mammas running around (to be blunt) and his offspring became the key players in the events of TOR. I thought it’d be cool: they don’t really know of each other, and one grows up to be the smuggler, the bounty hunter, the imperial agent; a few are Force sensitive and become Jedi and Sith…all with the same father, but different sides of the conflict.

This may be a little odd, but here goes:

Not sure if this works in terms of the game (haven't played enough to finish Act 1 yet), but my Bounty Hunter, a Zabrak, is related to my Jedi Guardian. His father is the adopted son of my Knight's grandfather, who adopted the Zabrak when he and his wife needed someone to fill the void their son (my Knight's father) left when they sent him away to become a Jedi. My Knight will eventually have a son under the strict regulations of the Jedi Order. His wife will probably be a Jedi Sage. His son will be a Sentinel.

I haven't worked it out for my Imps, but on the Republic side, they are all linked, by birth, adoption, or sponsorship, to the same noble house - Thorne, a family name I created for a local tabletop RPG. The backstory I built for House Thorne is that it's an ancient Corsucanti household, tracing lineage back to when there were still natural forests on the planet. As an ancient, wealthy house, with political, business, and even underworld connections all over the place, it makes for an easy link to almost any activity, any character type.

I have not yet decide how I will be handling it, but it won't be as family.

My Mirialans, male and female Jedi, Shadow and Guardian respectively, are siblings and fraternal twins.

My Smuggler Gunslinger is human. He will have no relation whatsoever to my only other human character, a female Sith Marauder.

My Rattataki Mercenary has no known living relatives and possibly has never had a surname.

And so on.

For a Roleplayer, the Legacy system introduces a curious dilemma. What title or name or sobriquet could as easily embrace all of these disparate characters, without being a title, name or sobriquet already claimed by another player?

This is a conundrum I have yet to resolve.

To be frank, I'm a little put-off by the idea that all the alts on a single server are "related" or in an extended family tree. Just my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt.

That being said, I know I can make it display as "The <name> Legacy" and I'll probably do that. I haven't put a lot of thought into what the name will be or how it applies in world. Maybe they share some sort of connection through the Force, like fate, or something. Not really sure. I've sort of been stumped for a while.

Well, I HAD the idea that my SI was owned by my SW's family, and was a much treasured and well-respected slave. With the family's Sith patriarch dead with his son still a little child, the mother had their honored slave, now viewed as a servant, mentor the boy. She could feel the Force in them both, and so besides having a father figure in his life, he'd also have a fellow Force-sensitive to learn from. In doing so, he became an honorary member of the house. They learned much from each other. The slave learned what it meant to be part of a family, and the boy learned humility and patience. The time came when they were both taken to their respective destinies.

I doubt the lore of this story would allow this to be possible, though.

After developing all my alts the way I structured it is this:

My Sith Warrior and Jedi Consular are going to be the two main figures of the 'Maar line'.

To put it simply, before my Consular had joined the Jedi Order she had found companionship in my Warrior (while he isn't good, he isn't a homicidal maniac). The two were practically married so she adopted his last name as her own... then my warrior did something to save her. He was worried she would suffer at the hands of his rivals, instead of going the route of Malgus and killing the woman he loved he set her down on Nar Shaddaa where a contact had the Jedi Order called to bring her in.

He wants to remain separate from that life, and she wants to bring him to the Light side and have him be a Jedi. She knows his true goals so she knows that he would be better placed as an ally of the Republic.

Both of them, however, since their parting have begun gathering allies. Those most trusted to them are 'adopted' so to speak. Basically, they adopt the last name of either the Consular or Warrior and then, in the case of my Warrior, are to use that name as a way of carrying weight/protection.

My Consular did it to have those she's become acquainted with feel closer, like an actual family. They all have their own last names which they use as well. I felt this was a tidier way of linking my characters than my original plan of them all being related by blood.

At first I was going to have my force users be siblings/half-siblings with the father being a human Sith who defected to the Jedi and had children both before and after. The the non-force users would be all be cousins or maybe uncles through the father.....then I decided to make every character a different species causing me to change the species on my two human force users.

So now all my characters across all species are just going to be half siblings with a dad....who believed in free love and who was so potent in the force he could get around most hybridization barriers. >.> It is stupid, but I don't care because it makes me laugh. :p

My legacy name doesn't have much story, and it wasn't even a word I've used in games before. I just thought it was a nice simple sounding last name; not sure why it entered my head.

In beta I used the legacy "Crayon" because I had so many color names, it made me giggle to see it, but I didn't want to break immersion for other people in the live game. (:

Edited by grania

Thus far, this is how things are going with the "Krow" family.

Baelarn [bael for short], is the son of Teraal Krow, a merchant of moderate renown in the Outer Rim. He has a younger sister, Lia-rana [Lia for short]. The two grew up in the Outer Rim, going wherever their father went on his merchant business. Their mother, Fraim, died from disease when Lia was very young.

When Teraal was killed by a client he double-crossed, Bael decided to take the path of being hired muscle for merchants, given his aptitude with weaponry and combat. Lia followed in her fathers footsteps and became a merchant. Eventually, she became a Smuggler. Bael was discovered and set on the path of being a Bounty Hunter and Mercenary.

Meanwhile, their two cousins, Jayden and Khairn, were the force-sensitive twin sons of Teraal's brother, Kayim. The two twins witnessed Kayims' death at the hands of the Sith during the sacking of Coruscant, and it changed them both irrevocably. Jayden swore to uphold his fathers ideals and protect the galaxy against the Sith by becoming a Jedi Guardian. Khairn, on the other hand, vowed to become the most powerful Sith ever and slay all his enemies.

Derrewyn is the half-Zabrak half-sister of Bael and Lia. Teraal had a fling with a Zabrak a few years after Fraims death, producing Derrewyn. He began raising her separately to his other children. Unfortunately when he died, as he hadn't introduced his other children, she was sold into slavery, where she slowly began to lose her mind. Having being found to be force sensitive, she has begun her journey to become a powerful Sith Assassin, though her fractured sanity makes her devious, unpredictable and dangerous.

Those are the characters I've thought of so far. I plan on making a Trooper, possibly the older sister of Jayden and Khairn. Beyond that, not a clue!

I have no idea. Currently I am waiting on the species we can open up. I suspect it will be a "clan" as they will hopefully be multiple species and have nothing in common. Personaly I wonder how this will work and hope they have put some thought into it.

• 3 weeks later...
This may be a little odd, but here goes:

Not sure if this works in terms of the game (haven't played enough to finish Act 1 yet), but my Bounty Hunter, a Zabrak, is related to my Jedi Guardian. His father is the adopted son of my Knight's grandfather, who adopted the Zabrak when he and his wife needed someone to fill the void their son (my Knight's father) left when they sent him away to become a Jedi. My Knight will eventually have a son under the strict regulations of the Jedi Order. His wife will probably be a Jedi Sage. His son will be a Sentinel.

The Jedi Order would never ever allow marriage among its members. A son would be even more out of the quesiton. If you're going to play a role then you have to follow the rules of the role.

I purposely moved my knight to a different server because of the Legacy System so she wouldn't have the same surname as my Imps of various species.

Being a Rutian Twi'lek and having a fondness for Aayla Secura I wanted Secura as my Legacy name, but it was already taken.

I settled on my alternative Riordan (which has no reference in anything) and revised my story so that while she is still a direct ancestor of Secura, she fell in love with a man of Clan Secura, briefly 'fell' to the Dark Side due to her passion, abandoned the Order, had a baby but finally redeemed herself to the Light (not that she was really deep in the Dark Side anyways) at the cost of choosing the Order over her family and left the child to the care of the father, both of whom she never saw again.

As it stands, I have no idea if I plan on making other characters under the same Legacy name or if I'll just use separate servers.

As someone who does not necessarily 'role-play' but likes to create sensible backstories, I do not like the way the Legacy System is implemented.

You people do realize that you don't HAVE to have your legacy showing, and that you don't HAVE to have every toon on a server be related, right?

I would just like to have a surname AND a Legacy. Some characters just need last names, but does that mean you shouldn't benefit from the Legacy System if you want those names to be different?

I see two major issues with the legacy system:

1) basing a perk system/reward solely on same player alts will to some extent lead to "alt factories" - the galactic version of "the more kids, the more child benefit ye shall receive" if you like.

2) having to figure out believable ways to somehow squeeze completely unrelated alien races and stories into variations of "I am your father". The main reason that line worked as a great story plot reversal in the movies is the fact that it's unlikely on an epic scale (but still genetically possible). Making the astronomically unlikely (and genetically impossible) common place (and even enforced in a way) IMHO is not going to be believable and will likely be a straight jacket on RP.

Players should have the freedom to have different characters on the same server that they don't want to be related in a family sense, but still be able to cooperate or interact as a kind of a small, loose consortium/mini-guild/cell, whatever you want to call it.

Let players who want to set up family trees be able to do that not only with their own, but also with other player's characters. That will be much more social and believable.

Bottom line: a completely separate surname/family tree system and "same player mini-guild" with things like perks, a shared bank slot between alts, etc. would be more social + allow much greater flexibility and enjoyment.

I see two major issues with the legacy system:

1) basing a perk system/reward solely on same player alts will to some extent lead to "alt factories" - the galactic version of "the more kids, the more child benefit ye shall receive" if you like.

2) having to figure out believable ways to somehow squeeze completely unrelated alien races and stories into variations of "I am your father". The main reason that line worked as a great story plot reversal in the movies is the fact that it's unlikely on an epic scale (but still genetically possible). Making the astronomically unlikely (and genetically impossible) common place (and even enforced in a way) IMHO is not going to be believable and will likely be a straight jacket on RP.

All my alts are children of my Sith Inq. He's kind of like quagmire and has kids all across the galaxy that he doesn't even know about. cause I've giggity'd every chance they gave me so far. This explains how they are all different. A lazy sollution perhaps, but its the only way I can make sense of them being in a family. human, rattataki, Zabrak, sith pureblood, Mirluka, twi'lek

(try to ignore the ****** quality, I didn't make this I just found it to exemplify my legacy)

Edited by Enclone

My Jedi Knight (human) and Imperial Agent (cyborg) are cousins, both from Coruscant, but that's as far as the relations go. The rest of my characters, one of each class minus Trooper, are all of different alien races, and they couldn't possibly be related. That, and my legacy name isn't the kind that I could conceivably see as anyone's surname.

The theme binding them together is that of a... Well, not a teacher as such, but a role model of sorts; a legendary figure from generations ago, who has influenced all their lives to a large enough degree that they'd add his name to their own. Most of my characters are some shade of neutral, and they do share certain basic values - I can't stop being myself behind the screen, after all - so there's an uneasy peace and a live and let live attitude going between them, Republic or Imperial.

I play sith warrior, my brother playes jedi knight. We don't need too much imagnination to connect them in the way we really are. He likes to play Republic I like to play Empire, i think it's goiong to be funny when we create more characters, it's going to be one big disfunctional family :)

I really cant figure a good connection/ story for my characters since my main is a Chiss Bountyhunter.

Any offspring is bound to have some blue skin. So to consider something like a family all my other alts have to be adopted or something...

Guess i'll go with a super secret clan or group ...., than i just have to figure out how a jedi knight would fit into that.