Question about Veteran mode in Chapter missions.

Drachehexe

Ok, I have a bunch of 70s and several character of each class. I have been through KOTFE several times but always on story mode. I just finished the class story on my latest agent and started KOTFE. Thanks to command tokens I bought my agent 230 gear after a few minutes of tearing through the enemies in KOTFE I figured I was ready to try veteran mode for the first time.

What level gear did they design it for? I'm getting my butt kicked almost instantly. Between crowd control and my limited ability to mitigate damage I'm losing all but the simplest fights and severely struggle on those. Lana's haling is incredibly weak. Worst yet is that my stealth is essentially ineffective because I just magically pop out of it when most mob groups appear. I've never play a healing class, I doubt I could be effective healing Lana as a tank, but even then what of my other classes I might want to run this way that only have DPS specs?

Other than to tick off a checkbox and achievement is veteran mode even worth the trouble? Reward wise? It really seems lousy on story mode cuz I kill everything with incredible ease but the next notch of difficulty seems way too steep of an increase.

Veteran mode is quite a step up in difficulty. You will be dying to trash mobs more than to actual bosses. The issue here is that you really need to use all the cc you have. Also using abilities that temporatily stun "weak" enemies are welcome! For example if a Sentinel does Force Sweep the enemies are stunned for a few seconds, which lets you survive the incident a bit more.

The Master mode came out when we still had 242 gear as the highest gear so Veteran should be for 230, 236 at best. Of course the higher gear, the easier it will be, its too easy to get full 248 now. Make sure you companion is rank 50 too, that helps quite a bit.

As for if its worth it.... well like any other achievement, it will just light up green in your legacy window, nothing else. The interesting thing is that if you do Master mode you automatically complete Veteran and Story mode too. So by doing all chapters on Master mode you would have gotten all achievements. However, as I said, there is no special title or deco that you get for doing it on Veteran or Master modes.

If no worthy gear drops what about command XP? Is it significantly higher than story mode? Story mode is way too easy. Just really not fun combat wise, but veteran isn't much fun either. Even with all my damage mitigation, unity, and hero mode popped, I am at an encounter I just can't beat. Seems there's little motivation to keep trying.

I fear I may have reached the end of the line with this game. Or, perhaps, try finding a guild and doing operations for a change. I have yet to do anything operation-wise. I'll try a different too, I think I have 238 warrior with a level 36 Lana. See if that pans out better.

Thanks for the info.

Edited by Drachehexe

Rewards are not worth it as I see it. You really need to work a lot more in Vet and of course in Master, so it takes longer and might even have a negative net income due to repair cost. It is giving you the achievements though, and to be honest: it felt much more rewarding to actually progress than story ever was (for obvious reasons that is kept rather simple). Although I have to admit that there are fights I am not likely to revisit. :)

Depending on the fights you're facing you might really need to play smarter, brute force is at times just not cutting it. Which encounter are you stuck at and with which specification do you play?

The CXP gain isnt that much bigger than Story, in these terms Master mode was worth it but they already nerfed the chapters which you could complete fast and earn a lot of CXP. So its just for the achievement, nothing more that you gain from this, no gear, decos, anything, just a warm fuzzy feeling that you managed it :)

It should definitely be doable in 236 gear you just got to use all that you have. there are things like kitting, Losing line of sight, stun grenades :D so there are possibilities. Its good to have challenges like this so that people realize what they still need to learn in the game. Many think that they are good at the game, but things like this show them how wrong they are. I mean, its a game, it should be fun, its not about being the best, but still, it makes the life easier and even more fun if people execute the rotations properly.

There is lots to do in the game, but depends on what you like to do. Have you tried the Eternal Championship? Have you gotten all companions via Alliance Alerts? Star Fortresses and so on. Operations are great and fun, you dont really need a guild as people make groups for daily Groupfinder, there you can also get 236 gear drops.

Okay, I ran through the same area on my sith warrior with 242 gear and a level 35 Lana and the difference is astounding. 242 gear with level 35 companion versus level 230 gear and a level 5 companion isn't even close.

It's taken forever to get the 242 gear and even one companion to level 35. Looks like I just might have to use my warrior and let everyone else just rot at the story level because I really don't see me grinding that much gear and influence on multiple characters.

Okay, I ran through the same area on my sith warrior with 242 gear and a level 35 Lana and the difference is astounding. 242 gear with level 35 companion versus level 230 gear and a level 5 companion isn't even close.

It's taken forever to get the 242 gear and even one companion to level 35. Looks like I just might have to use my warrior and let everyone else just rot at the story level because I really don't see me grinding that much gear and influence on multiple characters.

There are ways to get 248 gear quite fast but again, depends on what you like and dont like to do in the game. The ideal way is to take the 230 you have now and go do Veteran mode operations, those drop 242 tokens. Then go do PVP (idealy a mat farming group ranked group) or GSF for Unassembled components. Then use them to upgrade 242 into 248 and you are done. You need around 8000 UCs for full 248.

As for the companion there is a trick to it, by buying the rank 2 gifts for 3 million credits then spamming gift giving. You can also buy the one item to get the Companion instantly to rank 50 but as many people pointed out its cheaper to buy the rank 5 gifts.

If you do conquest on a char, there is now a token you can buy from the conquest vendor, which immediately raises a companion to 50, it costs 4.5 million, and some dark projects (I think) but can be worth it if you have the credits

Except that if you have the credits, you can buy gifts (grade 1 and 2 until they stop working, then grade 5 purple) and click-fest your companion to 50. The result will be the same but it will cost fewer credits, they say, and it will definitely not cost Dark Projects.

The only real advantage of the token is that it's one click to level 50, not hundreds.

Veteran mode is quite a step up in difficulty. You will be dying to trash mobs more than to actual bosses. The issue here is that you really need to use all the cc you have. Also using abilities that temporatily stun "weak" enemies are welcome! For example if a Sentinel does Force Sweep the enemies are stunned for a few seconds, which lets you survive the incident a bit more.

The Master mode came out when we still had 242 gear as the highest gear so Veteran should be for 230, 236 at best. Of course the higher gear, the easier it will be, its too easy to get full 248 now. Make sure you companion is rank 50 too, that helps quite a bit.

As for if its worth it.... well like any other achievement, it will just light up green in your legacy window, nothing else. The interesting thing is that if you do Master mode you automatically complete Veteran and Story mode too. So by doing all chapters on Master mode you would have gotten all achievements. However, as I said, there is no special title or deco that you get for doing it on Veteran or Master modes.

dont forget most cha0ters reuire a certain companion, leveling a comp to 50 only to be forced to change compcin nextcchapter is woth mentioning

How do I beat the first silver mob in KotFE chapter 1 on veteran mode?

I haven't managed to survive him for more than a few seconds, no matter what class, no matter what gear. You don't have a companion in this fight.

I have no problem with other veteran chapters, but chapter 1 is still undone, because I don't get past this mob. Stealthing is also not possible. I feel like a total noob. I don't understand that mob's (I think it's a skytrooper) fighting rotation. I use interrupts, but it's not enough to stop his big attacks. What's the trick???

Except that if you have the credits, you can buy gifts (grade 1 and 2 until they stop working, then grade 5 purple) and click-fest your companion to 50. The result will be the same but it will cost fewer credits, they say, and it will definitely not cost Dark Projects.

The only real advantage of the token is that it's one click to level 50, not hundreds.

I've click my way through a lot of 50's before the tokens came out, it costs more to buy the gifts, not to mention the repetitive strain injury from all that clicking....lol

Although I can't immediately point to the link (and invite being corrected by anyone who might be able to find something that contradicts this), I seem to have a very clear memory that in a once upon a time dev stream the devs explicitly stated that Veteran mode for the chapters was tuned to you having at minimum an Influence 22 companion. I know from my experience farming the Eternal Championship (in which you could easily track variables in a fairly controlled environment) that companion Influence levels actually have a huge mechanical difference, so for sure I would suggest not tackling Veteran mode chapters until you've got companions over 22, preferably over 30. I know that in the Master chapters it's pretty much hopeless unless your companion is 36 or higher, and obviously 50 is the best (duh).

As others have said, Veteran is definitely a big step up in difficulty (and Master is often kind of ridiculous). In Veteran you definitely need to fully leverage your crowd control abilities, and it also helps to micro-manage your companion a bit (at least as far as commanding them to attack the same target you're attacking so that you focus fire and burn things down quicker). I also find it really helps to use some raiding logic and kill weak to strong, so that you are minimizing the amount of incoming damage you take. And though it's more important in Master than in Veteran even in Veteran it helps to remember to use your interrupts; there are some enemy abilities that, if you let them get fully cast, simply will one-shot you. It's also very important to make sure you are using whatever defensive cooldowns your class has.

All of those things (crowd control, target selection, companion management, interrupts, and defensive abilities) are things you can pretty much entirely ignore in Story mode so it can feel a little counter-intuitive to start incorporating them if they weren't already a part of your playstyle, but I think they're definitely requirements to surviving the higher level difficulties since at least for the chapters those are scaled up fairly high indeed.

Edited by JediBoadicea