Which ranged DPS for regs ?

Nyla

Hey, coming back after a break, I noticed I played everything in PvP, except ranged DPS.

I prefer to start a new character and level through PvP mostly, anyone could give some opinions on the different ranged classes/spec in regs ?

I'm more interested on survivability/utility/PITA aspects than which one is topping the boards

they're all great in regs. honestly. go with whichever class/discipline you like. I prefer merc/mando. they have the easiest burst (arsenal) and excellent 1v1 kiting but can be unbelievable if you roll with a focused grp. if you like to roll solo a lot and you like big numbers, madness sorc is your best bet as there's a lot of grp and solo healing cooked into sorcs and you get all the aoe/dot shinies. but seriously, even lightning sorc is playable in regs. I just recommend having a grp for it. hehe Edited by foxmob

Hey, coming back after a break, I noticed I played everything in PvP, except ranged DPS.

I prefer to start a new character and level through PvP mostly, anyone could give some opinions on the different ranged classes/spec in regs ?

I'm more interested on survivability/utility/PITA aspects than which one is topping the boards

I'm the same, I always start fresh and lvl through PVP, it's the best way to learn.

If you want the absolute easiest and don't mind FOTM, Sorc madness is what 90% of people are using. If you want to actually have fun on the Sorc, try Lightning. It's by the far the most exciting spec and if you do get into knife firing range when a Melee jumps you, then you have some burst on the move or as I call them knife fight options.

If you want some real fun, play an Arsenal Merc, it's more of a challenge and has some awesome dps output. But you really need to know the CDs on your defences because a melee can own you fast. There really isn't an option except escaping if a melee jumps you. Best to burst them hard before they gobble you up.

For both Mercs and Sorcs, LOS is your best friend and so is mobility. Don't be afraid to pop those instant heals as often as possible, even if it looks like you have enough health (not full). I rarely die, I'm not always at the top of the DPS chart, but my healing can be extremely high. ie 1.3 mil DPS on lightning and 800k-1mil heals. (Obviously no healer or a crap one). Trying to self heal does also take pressure off the healer to heal others that may need it more. I know others will disagree, but that's my style of play, I just hate dying.

Now if you want a more technically difficult ranged to master, go a marksman sniper. It's not as mobile, but you've got some good defence and high burst to make up for it.

All ranged can be fun, except Sorc madness, it's just boring. Ultimately it comes down to how well you can play with more technically complex classes and wether you want to be mobile. Also consider what role you want to play on the team. Snipers are fairly static and less mobile compared to Sorcs and Mercs. Both of them are great at moving between nodes to help with inc calls. Snipers are better defenders. So you may find matches where you are stuck guarding.

What ever you pick will be fun, just don't pick Madness. Only noobs pick madness cause it's easy. ;) (drops bait and fishing line in the water :p )

Edited by TrixxieTriss

I don't know why, but I have far more success on a troopie then on madness sorc. I find merc/troopie to be far more intuitive, just understand postioning and basic kiting and its all good with alot of fun involved. Madness just lacks something. dot a few people heal a few people run around dotting more people. hope your dots get you some kill blows. Decide you want to solo someone and then spent the next 2 mins kiting them around healing yrself because your single target damage sucks. Get bored of that so face tank and spam force lighting in their face and then die because it turns out your not supposed to do that. Come to forums to read about how madness is the most op spec in the game. Not in fun/hour its not!

I don't know why, but I have far more success on a troopie then on madness sorc. I find merc/troopie to be far more intuitive, just understand postioning and basic kiting and its all good with alot of fun involved. Madness just lacks something. dot a few people heal a few people run around dotting more people. hope your dots get you some kill blows. Decide you want to solo someone and then spent the next 2 mins kiting them around healing yrself because your single target damage sucks. Get bored of that so face tank and spam force lighting in their face and then die because it turns out your not supposed to do that. Come to forums to read about how madness is the most op spec in the game. Not in fun/hour its not!

Playing a sorc tends to kill your brain cells. ;)

I normally play melee classes, but I've been having a lot of fun playing virulence and engi on my sniper.

Playing a sorc tends to kill your brain cells. ;)

I normally play melee classes, but I've been having a lot of fun playing virulence and engi on my sniper.

I cannot "stand" the cover mechanic. not the immunities. I mean I never liked having to take cover before I could do stuff. it's antithetical to everything ingrained in mah brain about not standing still in pvp. I'll literally be trying to take cover while unconsciously holding down both mouse buttons or pressing W or strafe. lol

I cannot "stand" the cover mechanic. not the immunities. I mean I never liked having to take cover before I could do stuff. it's antithetical to everything ingrained in mah brain about not standing still in pvp. I'll literally be trying to take cover while unconsciously holding down both mouse buttons or pressing W or strafe. lol

Yeah, although Engi is pretty mobile. You only really need to stand still for series of shots occasionally, I'm mostly running around out of cover kiting and repositioning, or... rolling through people, rooting them and then punting them into some kind of hazard on the map.

Made a concealment operative ragequit a huttball after I tossed him into the acid trap 3 times in a row...

Yeah, madness is just so boring. You can basically keybind 5 things and roll your face back and forth to dot everyone.

Yes it does damage, but it's the easiest class in the game to play and the most dull.

It amazes me that all these supposed "legend" ranked players all play Madness Sorcs. I thought the higher your skill level, you'd want more of a challenge on a higher skilled class. But it seems "game is hard", must roll FOTM. ;)

I would say merc or sorc for survivability, although sniper can survive well too but i find it more difficult.

Choosing between merc and sorc depends on what your play style is. Sorc if you like dots and merc if you like burst. I myself prefer merc.