SWTOR is too hard for me

swcfrost

All of my bosses (especially story mission bosses) are way too difficult to defeat for me and I often have to ask people for help. I have tried a few classes out and for all of them it is the same problem. Shouldn't people who want to play the game mostly by themselves be able to defeat bosses alone? Does anyone else have this problem?

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really hope your joking. Most of the bosses you fight in your class quests are easy for someone to just tank and spank. There are a few that make you actually do a little work but every class quest boss is soloable in quest/looted gear.

Champions can be soloed so killing an elite is a joke.

I am not sure if you are trolling or what.

Really, you cant beat any of the bosses on any of the characters you tried?

Now before I call BS, tell me. What level are you and what level is the boss?

What planet/planets are you on with these fights?

Do you have a companion when you are having these fights?

If you are not trolling then I am really shocked as with the exception of 1 level 47 boss on Voss I have had little to no trouble beating any of them.

are you interupting? interupts make almost every class boss a joke. also make sure your as close to the level of the quest as possible. another thing you might want to do is get better gear for your companion. just some helpful options. class quests shouldnt be that hard. I know a few times on my toons I took a death on a class boss then looked at the fight and realized i stood in some aoe he had but didnt see it or there was something to interrupt and i missed it.

Not everyone is born 733t-killers so show the OP some respect.

My suggestion is that you take a look at your spec and your gear and see how you can improve there. also important to match your spec with your companion. If for example you are tank specced then use a healing (or DPS) companion if you are DPS use a tank (or heal) companion and if you are heal specced use a DPS (or tank) companion.

Perhaps you're using the wrong companion. Bosses are meant to be soloed, but for most of the game that means with a companion (same reason why heroic+2, need 2 people + their companions to handle).

If you're playing a tank-specced character, try using a healer companion (with his own attack skills disabled so he focuses on healing you). If you're a DPS character or healer, and the boss is hitting you hard, try using a tank companion and blowing your cooldowns to DPS him down before he kills your companion. Likewise, if you're a healer/DPS and the mob/boss is not hitting you very hard, bring out a DPS companion (if healer) or a healer companion (if you're DPS) to keep you up and kill the mob.

Just try combinations out until you get it right ;) Trust me, they ARE soloable by 1 person.

As a Sith warrior Tank, I used Quinn (healer) throughout my story (as soon as I got him), and had minimal problems.

Edited by Alexbeav

All of my bosses (especially story mission bosses) are way too difficult to defeat for me and I often have to ask people for help. I have tried a few classes out and for all of them it is the same problem. Shouldn't people who want to play the game mostly by themselves be able to defeat bosses alone? Does anyone else have this problem?

You are assuming that because it's hard for it means it's hard for everyone. I've levelled 2 toons to 50 so far and never needed any help, even so I solo'd heroics and champions with them.

So I am asking: Can you give an example for why you think they are too hard? Are you using interrupts, medipacs and stims? Are you situationally aware of your position and surroundings like being aware that that you don't have to stand in the fire, that you can keep a 4 m distance to a mob in melee? Are you chosing the correct companion? Are you underlevelling or outlevelling bosses? How's your gear - are you using the correct attribute i.e. no strength on a sniper, no aim on a marauder?

I know this is alot things asked but I think most difficulties are self-created - either through negligence, impatience or ignorance.

Edited by ArmchairMagpie

Most of the time I am equal to the NPC's level or higher and have all the abilities available and I always have a companion with me. Some bosses I can't even get their health down to half and sometimes I have to die multiple times to defeat a group of enemies that comprises of a boss.

heyo

a few tips (things i used when fighting bosses, pretty simple things)

- make sure u have the correct companion

- make sure ur best dps/CC abilities are off CD

- make sure you have full health/force,ammo etc

- use stimpacks/adrenals etc

- make sure the boss you are fighting is within your lvl range

for me personally, i never had an issue with the majority of the bosses (just the ones that spawned loads of adds)

if you are still having problems with a boss check your class forums, see if anyone else is having a problem with a particular boss, see what tactics they used

Most of the time I am equal to the NPC's level or higher and have all the abilities available and I always have a companion with me. Some bosses I can't even get their health down to half and sometimes I have to die multiple times to defeat a group of enemies that comprises of a boss.

If they are at your level then you should be *easily* capable of beating them.

Which companion, what is your class?

What about my other questions?

Like are you aware of the different abilities? Do you prefer to interrupt full auto or grav

rounds?

What are your strategies? If you see a boss and multiple companies, are you:

- attacking boss first and leave the adds for the cleanup

or

- attacking the adds first and leave the boss to solely focus on with your main abilities?

You definitely must be doing something wrong otherwise your problem would be epidemic.

Edited by ArmchairMagpie

Ok.. I see where you attempted to humour all us Forumites there...

The only Bosses I remotely have any issues with are World Bosses.. which are'nt supposed to be soloed unless you hitting the dizzy 50 parralels... (yes I have seen a lvl 50 take out a few World Bosses now so even that is achievable, like everything else when you rreach an appropriate lvl of skills and expertise in which to do it.

If your adamant you want your lvl 11 gunslinger to take on the world boss on Corruscant etc.. then expect to be 1 hit time and time again.... no mateer how well decked out you are for your lvl.. it simply isn't going to happen.. even a team of 4 lvl 11-15 are gunna get spanked.. so you either get hand held through them with nsome largely over lvled toons or.. be patient and grow.

If your talking about heroics/then again, you may simply be a little under lvl for them ... its nice to challenge yourself for sure, but remember the game, although probably 70% soloable, has areas of the game designed to almost force you to go grp up unl;ess you once again go 9+ lvls over the quest lvl and treat it as a loot walk thro... that to me is no fun tho.

If on the other hand your are struggling to eliminate your story line quest bosses.... it maybe be time for some hard facts... give up and go play WoW or Lord of the Banannas or if you can afford it, find a rich scientist somewhere in the world and ask them nicely to attach some shiny new cybernetic implants into you... THEN YOU'LL BE BACK ! :rolleyes:

Ok.. I see where you attempted to humour all us Forumites there...

The only Bosses I remotely have any issues with are World Bosses.. which are'nt supposed to be soloed unless you hitting the dizzy 50 parralels... (yes I have seen a lvl 50 take out a few World Bosses now so even that is achievable, like everything else when you rreach an appropriate lvl of skills and expertise in which to do it.

If your adamant you want your lvl 11 gunslinger to take on the world boss on Corruscant etc.. then expect to be 1 hit time and time again.... no mateer how well decked out you are for your lvl.. it simply isn't going to happen.. even a team of 4 lvl 11-15 are gunna get spanked.. so you either get hand held through them with nsome largely over lvled toons or.. be patient and grow.

If your talking about heroics/then again, you may simply be a little under lvl for them ... its nice to challenge yourself for sure, but remember the game, although probably 70% soloable, has areas of the game designed to almost force you to go grp up unl;ess you once again go 9+ lvls over the quest lvl and treat it as a loot walk thro... that to me is no fun tho.

If on the other hand your are struggling to eliminate your story line quest bosses.... it maybe be time for some hard facts... give up and go play WoW or Lord of the Banannas or if you can afford it, find a rich scientist somewhere in the world and ask them nicely to attach some shiny new cybernetic implants into you... THEN YOU'LL BE BACK ! :rolleyes:

You can solo flashpoints and operations?

ASTOUNDING!

I cant even offer a possible explanation for this outside of.

1. Being under leveled (OP says he's not)

2. Horrible use of abilities (I mean really really horrible, most class story bosses can be killed by mashing hammer shot)

3. Massive under gearing (and I mean MASSIVE)

A bit of info on your gear/spec and rotation would be good.

Without knowing the specifics of your classes, which companions you are using, which boss fight it isand so on, it is difficult to give any specific advice. Each boss fight is slightly different, and while I and most of the forum lurkers are able to solo the bosses with ease, that often comes from either being 2-4 levels ahead of the boss so we can use a generic set of tactics, or knowing the specific mechanics of that boss fight.

A couple of things, to emphasise messages already on the thread - make sure you and your companion have reasonable gear for your level, and that you are fully healed and with your class buff up before you start. Also, you can still win the fight if your companion is defeated, but if you are defeated your companion will stop fighting.

When fighting Strong/Elite/Champion mob groups, if you have a CC (crowd control) spell like a stun, use that on the strongest mob in the group. Concentrate on taking down the lower level mobs first, and tackle the tougher enemies last. In most cases, the boss is a solo mob, so if you pull him while you are fighting something else, either you or your companion probably hit him with an area-of-effect ability while fighting something else.

This may be a silly question, but are you aware of the second tab on the skill trainer? The one for your advanced class skills? My wife went five levels into Vanguard without picking up a single Vanguard skill because she missed it!

Bad HCI design tbh, we are pretty much trained by years of computer applications to expect tabs to be at the top rather than the bottom so it is remarkably easy to miss them.

- Check your gear and when i say check it, i mean make sure your gear is at or near your current level. This includes the mods that you have in your weapons or gear

- Make full use of your inturrupts every time you see the bosses start casting. Otherwise, your either going to get hit pretty hard or your going to find the boss that you finnaly got down to half health back to full health

- Send in your companion first to build up initial aggro then go in shortly after.

- make sure you have all the skills trained from your trainer.

Edited by haliy

I really wish the OP would provide more information.

The suggestions (for the most part) are all really good, but it is hard to try and tune in without knowing more.

I took the "All of my bosses (especially story mission bosses)" into consideration

are you interupting? interupts make almost every class boss a joke. also make sure your as close to the level of the quest as possible. another thing you might want to do is get better gear for your companion. just some helpful options. class quests shouldnt be that hard. I know a few times on my toons I took a death on a class boss then looked at the fight and realized i stood in some aoe he had but didnt see it or there was something to interrupt and i missed it.

^ This is a BIG one, especially if you are not DPS spec'd and the boss can heal them self's

(looking at you Zash)

because they can just heal through the damage you put out. If you are interrupting, make sure you are interrupting the 'correct' (matter of opinion I guess) skills, because interrupting a minor damage channel is not going to be as effective as interrupting a heal or big damage move.