Who is the worst companion?

RDeanOU

It completely depends on the sort of Jedi you play. I play a Knight who becomes jaded with the Order, and flips them off in the end. She and Scourge are thick as thieves.

And Scourge is not evil. He's Sith...one doesn't have to equal the other.

I agree. I play my Jedi as a sociopath (being raised since infancy in an Order which preaches against emotions and attachment has left her without much of a conscience, and she pretty much crosses the line into out and out evil) who has grown totally disgusted and disenchanted with the Republic and the Order. Scourge actually has a normalizing influence, and is helping her grow a conscience and dial it back a bit while learning about the Sith.

Scourge is not not evil, he's pragmatic IMHO. He's working toward a goal and if working with a Jedi will get him there, he does it. Sith =/ evil at all.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Skadge hate never fails to surprise me.

Like, I get how obnoxious the way he joins is. I agree up to that point, in fact. But once he does, he's just so...cheesily, sociopathically hilarious that he makes me laugh, and I love him for it. A lot of that's probably to the credit of his voice actor, but I just don't understand why people don't appreciate him for the big ball of comic violence that he is.

My votes for "worst companion" would probably go to Rusk or Broonmark, just for the sheer "why are they even there?" factor. They're just so boring, and underutilized on top of that. Didn't care much for Senya, either, who feels more like a plot device than a character (and one with rather bad voice acting, at that).

Kaliyo. She is the most annoying companion to get along with. Please add a mission where you can put 2 shots in the back of her head.

You can.

At the end of KOTFE Chapter 13 if either she or Jorgan disobyed your orders you can jump through enough dialogue hoops to kill her. My IA did and was quite happy with it. Best dialogue in that chapter when Lana looks at where her body is and says to someone words to the effect of "Clean up this mess." Only companion I've offed.

Edited by Keta

Mako - I'm too old for middle-school "do you think he likes me?" "should I pass him a note in study hall?" shenanigans. He's just not that into you, teeny bop. He wants a real woman.

Er, Torian himself is a "teeny bop." In fact, he's more of one, since he's an actual teenager.

Dorne - just seriously the most miserable person I've ever tried to talk to in the game. she hates everything...or she just really needs to get laid.

Really? I never had any problems there with my Trooper.

It completely depends on the sort of Jedi you play. I play a Knight who becomes jaded with the Order, and flips them off in the end. She and Scourge are thick as thieves.

And Scourge is not evil. He's Sith...one doesn't have to equal the other.

Indeed they don't. And Lord Praven in the same story demonstrates that. Scourge, on the other hand, is pretty damn evil.

I agree. I play my Jedi as a sociopath (being raised since infancy in an Order which preaches against emotions and attachment has left her without much of a conscience, and she pretty much crosses the line into out and out evil) who has grown totally disgusted and disenchanted with the Republic and the Order. Scourge actually has a normalizing influence, and is helping her grow a conscience and dial it back a bit while learning about the Sith.

Scourge is not not evil, he's pragmatic IMHO. He's working toward a goal and if working with a Jedi will get him there, he does it. Sith =/ evil at all.

I won't say that Scourge doesn't raise some good points; he's not even that irritating to bring along, which surprised me. But he's quite callous and has very little regard for life.

As for the thread topic itself... I wish that Xalek did more, and I wish that Andronikos could be replaced with someone who actually fit into the Inquisitor's story; as it stands, he's one of its most awkward elements, being a random pirate who has no connection with its themes. Also, they overplayed Doc's douchiness.

Edited by Xilizhra

Skadge gets mentioned enough so I'll leave him. I vote for Nadia, not hating her but the way she talks to my Consular is creepy. I even fell for her "trap" so many years ago. Argh! She was a powerhouse back then though.

Doc. Almost the same reason. DS Jaesa. Broonmark. Zenith. Khem Val.

Kaliyo (so much so that my agent does kill her in the expansions)

Scorpio -She is untrustworthy at the beginning and proved that at the end

Doc- Now come on, coming on that strong at the beginning. I know he mellows out but the way he comes on at the beginning I have yet to even try to romance him.

Lana- Come on now, she is a sith and every choice my light side or jedi's make she constantly disagrees with. It makes no sense for her to be with those characters.

Arcann- While my Jedi may not want to kill him, they do think he should not be walking around. My dark side well they kill him.

Er, Torian himself is a "teeny bop." In fact, he's more of one, since he's an actual teenager.

Though I don't want to play the "cougar" card with Torian, because he is entirely too young for me as a person...but there's a difference between being "like OMGAHD do you think he likes me?" "like OMGAHD should I pass him a note in study hall?" *snaps gum* sort of teeny bop, to actually being a teenager in age. Torian is a Mandalorian, and by his people's standards, he's an adult. And he acts like one. Mako...is a teeny bop...and acts...like a teeny bop.

I've noticed that a lot of the male player character LI's, other than Dorne and Kaliyo, are a little on the questionable side for me. Which is why none of my male characters romance anybody until they hit the expansion content.

Indeed they don't. And Lord Praven in the same story demonstrates that. Scourge, on the other hand, is pretty damn evil.

What exactly does Scourge do, anywhere in the game, that makes him evil? I mean, other than putting his neck on the line to turn his back on his entire faction to rescue and join forces with someone who would on any other day want to kill him? All because he wants to stop the Emperor from going all doom, doom, DOOM on the galaxy? Not to mention the fact that he submitted to the Emperor's alchemical ritual thingy, rendering him essentially frozen in time, all to be able to stay alive long enough to meet the person to stop the Emperor. He literally gave his life over to the cause.

As for the thread topic itself... I wish that Xalek did more, and I wish that Andronikos could be replaced with someone who actually fit into the Inquisitor's story; as it stands, he's one of its most awkward elements, being a random pirate who has no connection with its themes.

I think Andronikos fits in just fine. Not everybody a Sith encounters has to be...Sith. Yes, his last couple romance scenes are way out there in left field for his character, but put those aside and he can play off an Inquisitor quite nicely. In fact, I'd hazard to say that his romance relationship is one of the more healthier ones in the game. He's up there with being my favorite companion...and favorite LI.

Edited by Dracofish

Though I don't want to play the "cougar" card with Torian, because he is entirely too young for me as a person...but there's a difference between being "like OMGAHD do you think he likes me?" "like OMGAHD should I pass him a note in study hall?" *snaps gum* sort of teeny bop, to actually being a teenager in age. Torian is a Mandalorian, and by his people's standards, he's an adult. And he acts like one. Mako...is a teeny bop...and acts...like a teeny bop.

Your disdain for romantic awkwardness is mildly depressing. Not that I'm an enormous fan of it, but I hardly see a reason to hold it against Mako.

What exactly does Scourge do, anywhere in the game, that makes him evil? I mean, other than putting his neck on the line to turn his back on his entire faction to rescue and join forces with someone who would on any other day want to kill him? All because he wants to stop the Emperor from going all doom, doom, DOOM on the galaxy? Not to mention the fact that he submitted to the Emperor's alchemical ritual thingy, rendering him essentially frozen in time, all to be able to stay alive long enough to meet the person to stop the Emperor. He literally gave his life over to the cause.

I mentioned before that he's utterly callous and has no regard for life except in the abstract. He also tries to turn the Hero of Tython to the dark side. He's certainly much less evil than Vitiate, but being evil hardly prevents you from fighting evil.

Your disdain for romantic awkwardness is mildly depressing. Not that I'm an enormous fan of it, but I hardly see a reason to hold it against Mako.

This is a thread about companions we don't like and why. I don't understand why my personal preferences are an issue. It's not like I'm saying I don't like her because she has brown hair, or that I don't like her voice actress (neither of those bother me...just using that as example). I'm a thirty-six year old female who grew out of middle school shenanigans a long time ago, sorry. I don't have patience for that sort of attitude in my companions, especially when the bounty hunter character I play has no patience for that sort of attitude in those who follow her.

It's nothing against her age either. I know plenty of thirty-something teeny bops in real life. If you like her, that's great...awesome. But I'm sorry it bothers you that I don't.

So far, it seems like the reasons I like certain characters are the same reasons you dislike those certain characters. It's a difference of opinion and we can just leave it at that. It's great that we have such a wide gamut for all shapes and sizes of personalities out there.

My favorite companions -

Andronikos

Scourge

Ashara

Torian

Pierce

Theron

Arcann

Khem Val

Companions I like, but aren't my favorite -

Vette

Quinn

Aric

Vector

Kaliyo

Talos

Gault

Companions I dislike and resort to my faithful krakyja follower rather than use them -

Mako

SCORPIO

Doc

Dorne

Rusk

Jaesa (and this is only because they make her go to either one of two extremes, so this is a fault in her writing not in her as a character)

Skadge

M1-4X

Koth

Everybody else I'm indifferent about. I haven't gotten far enough with the Consular story to encounter Iresso, Nadia, or Zenith, so I don't have an opinion on them.

I mentioned before that he's utterly callous and has no regard for life except in the abstract. He also tries to turn the Hero of Tython to the dark side. He's certainly much less evil than Vitiate, but being evil hardly prevents you from fighting evil.

I still don't see how that makes him "evil" by definition. Evil is throwing severed heads from the rooftops, or chucking sacks of kittens into a river, or killing for the fun of it. Scourge doesn't do any of those things. He's not even into Sith political maneuvering and backstabbing. He's practical. No big risks for little gain. I don't see there being evil in that at all. The fact that he follows the Dark side does't make him evil either. And if you want to split hairs about it, the Knight can most certainly try to turn him to the Light as well.

Edited by Dracofish

What exactly does Scourge do, anywhere in the game, that makes him evil? I mean, other than putting his neck on the line to turn his back on his entire faction to rescue and join forces with someone who would on any other day want to kill him? .

In the novel, it said Scourge had a thing for torture and cruel interrogation. He was good at it too. I think that's pretty "evil"

Edited by Eshvara

In the novel, it said Scourge had a thing for torture and cruel interrogation. He was good at it too. I think that's pretty "evil"

So is the Sith Inquisitor. And let's not forget how the Consular can play alphabet soup with someone's mind in pretty much every conversation. But it's all for the greater good, right? It's not always as simple as "black" and "white".

Just because someone may have employed torture techniques sometime in the past I wouldn't automatically say "He Evil".

When I hear "evil" I'm thinking of characters that are into mass genocide, wearing someone else's skin as a hat...stuff like that. But of course, this all bears on what you would consider to be "evil", which varies from person to person.

As such, no I don't think of Scourge as "evil". Dark? Yes. Evil? No.

Edited by Dracofish

So is the Sith Inquisitor. And let's not forget how the Consular can play alphabet soup with someone's mind in pretty much every conversation. But it's all for the greater good, right? It's not always as simple as "black" and "white".

Just because someone may have employed torture techniques sometime in the past I wouldn't automatically say "He Evil".

When I hear "evil" I'm thinking of characters that are into mass genocide, wearing someone else's skin as a hat...stuff like that.

Then there was scourge turning on his allies to ensure his own survival. I guess you could argue to say it was for the greater good, but it doesn't make you not evil.

He's probably not the worst sith out there, but to say he's not evil is weird to me. If he has a goal to something, it seems he's willing to do whatever it takes to achieve it. That in itself isn't a good trait.

And if torturing someone doesn't make you evil....I don't know what to tell you.

Just because Valkorion did worse things than Scourge, doesn't make what scourge did good.

Edited by Eshvara

Then there was scourge turning on his allies to ensure his own survival. I guess you could argue to say it was for the greater good, but it doesn't make you not evil.

He's probably not the worst sith out there, but to say he's not evil is weird to me. If he has a goal to something, it seems he's willing to do whatever it takes to achieve it. That in itself isn't a good trait.

And if torturing someone doesn't make you evil....I don't know what to tell you.

Just because Valkorion did worse things than Scourge, doesn't make what scourge did good.

I think trying to apply real-world dynamics to a fictional universe is difficult. For example, if I've made a choice as my character to torture someone or kill them, does that reflect on me as a person or who I am in the real-world? Absolutely not. Because this is a game, in a fictional world.

In the case of Scourge, or anybody in that universe, it's difficult to apply the same rules or morals that we follow, because of how different their society, etc etc is. I mean...magic. Laser swords. Yeah. We don't have that.

Scourge for me overall is a Dark character. He's pragmatic. He's killed a lot of people (all of our characters have). All in the name of his faction, or later, for his goal to end the Emperor. I just don't see him as evil, but like I said, it's a fluid term...and probably one that is better left for our own real-world dynamics.

I think trying to apply real-world dynamics to a fictional universe is difficult. For example, if I've made a choice as my character to torture someone or kill them, does that reflect on me as a person or who I am in the real-world? Absolutely not. Because this is a game, in a fictional world.

In the case of Scourge, or anybody in that universe, it's difficult to apply the same rules or morals that we follow, because of how different their society, etc etc is. I mean...magic. Laser swords. Yeah. We don't have that.

Scourge for me overall is a Dark character. He's pragmatic. He's killed a lot of people (all of our characters have). All in the name of his faction, or later, for his goal to end the Emperor. I just don't see him as evil, but like I said, it's a fluid term...and probably one that is better left for our own real-world dynamics.

I didn't make any real life comparisons if I recall.🤔 Unless that's not what you meant, then never mind!

I know the game is fiction, but that doesn't mean terms such as evil and good are exempt from it. What Valkorion did to his children is evil, but that kind of torture doesn't exist in our world on that level, does that mean I can't label it as such because we cannot grasp that amount of pain? I think that's a pretty flawed argument.

That said, it's totally cool if he's not evil in your opinion, your opinion is not wrong or right, same as mine. I think Scourge is far from being a good character, he has evil tendencies to him, whether that makes him entirely evil, I guess you could argue.

But just because you're pragmatic doesn't always mean you make the right choices in terms of morals. Lana is pragmatic, she was willing to let Theron get captured for her greater good, they've been working together and they're allies. Were her reasons sensible to an extent? Probably. Does that make it a good thing? I'd say no, it's a pretty piss poor move.

If you're willing to sacrifice and cause suffering for your personal greater good, whatever it may be, by all means necessary, that makes you evil.

Edited by Eshvara

This is a great philosophical discussion, but back to the hatin'!

Kidding. So, I won't say these are the worst companions, that is subjective, but these are the ones that stood out to me as not really fitting with my characters story. While some of that is certainly how my characters exist in my head, some of it is in BW and how they wrote the story. In no particular order, just when I think of the classes...

Consular:

Zenith. For someone so focused on diplomacy and the Jedi way, Zenith was the antithesis of my Consulars. He was selfish, cruel, and willing to lie and cheat his way to success. He does mellow a bit later on, and I don't think either of my Consulars would have kicked him off their ship, but he was definitely the least used and the last to max affection (before the influence system).

Inquisitor:

I really didn't have an issue with any of the comps on either of my SI's. Although, to be fare, my light Sorcerer probably wouldn't have chosen Xalek as an apprentice.

Smuggler:

Akavi was the only one that really didn't seem to fit. I didn't really dislike her, but my Smuggler didn't get along with her and didn't really have a use for her. Corso, who I know gets a lot of dislike, just came off as naive and unrefined. My Smuggler sort of saw him as someone to corrupt.

Agent:

Kaliyo and Scorpio. My Agent would have eliminated Kaliyo long before she had a chance to engage in her business venture. Scorpio... My Agent would have deactivated her, scrapped her, melted down the scrap, locked the slag in a durasteel crate, and dropped the crate in a deep, deep hole... then dropped that hole in a star somewhere.

Bounty Hunter:

Skadge. The options are there to play the BH like Mira, so Skadge's entire being goes against that personality. My BH would have put a bolt in his head. Simple as that. Gault's voice just annoys me. It's probably the most petty of my dislikes, but there it is. He reminds me of Wentworth Miller trying to do a bad guy voice (a la Leonard Snart). It just grates on me every time I hear it.

Trooper:

Tanno Vik for much the same reason as Skadge. Tanno did not fit with the personality of my Commando and there is no way he would have let Tanno on his ship. I don't really like Jorgan, either, but the way I played my Commando he and and Jorgan we best friends it would seem. Out of all of my characters Jorgan has the highest affection just from doing the story.

Jedi Knight:

Sargent Rusk, all the way. There were a few times when I wanted to activate a lightsaber in Doc's face, but Rusk I wanted to flush out an airlock.

Warrior:

So, the problem with the Warrior is I disliked playing a Knight so much that I just rushed through the Warrior story as quick as I could and only used Vette the entire time. That's probably a disservice to the Warrior story, and I'll need to approach it again, but Vette was fun. I loved her colour commentary.

A note on Scourge. Leaving aside the discussion as to whether he's evil or not, dark or not, etc., it's important to note that the reason he did what he did in the book was because of a vision. Not out of a simple desire for self preservation. The following is from the Revan book.

When Revan, Meetra, and Rusk go to face the Emperor,

Rusk has a vision of their failure and sees that the one who will defeat the Emperor is someone else, the Knight from SWTOR. Whether we agree with his actions, or the explanation, the book was essentially just a filler to set up the Knight story.

I'm a little surprised that Elara Dorne is getting a lot of hate. I really enjoy her character. She is extremely capable and her defection from the Empire and fierce loyalty to the Republic makes her character really interesting to me.

On the subject of evil, it's subjective. You don't have to commit mass genocide to be evil, but most people are more complex than just good or evil.

I guess it’s not so much that he’s evil, but Scourge was a high ranking Sith Lord, the Emperors own Wrath, and the Jedi are cool with him just chilling with the Jedi Knight like it’s no big deal.

He’s stated many times that he’s still an unrepentant Sith but they just don’t care that he’s there.

I also hate wookies with a passion. That moanhowl, awful.

I'm sosososo happy they didn't keep Jakarro...to put it into perspective...I'd rather watch every Clone Wars episode that featured Jar Jar back to back than have to deal with him again.

I'm sosososo happy they didn't keep Jakarro...to put it into perspective...I'd rather watch every Clone Wars episode that featured Jar Jar back to back than have to deal with him again.

Ugh I agree, I remember wondering if he was going to be around forever. I was quite relieved when they were leaving. I still cringe when I see people asking for them to be a companion, and thinking if Bioware might actually do it.

Lord help us all!!

Ugh I agree, I remember wondering if he was going to be around forever. I was quite relieved when they were leaving. I still cringe when I see people asking for them to be a companion, and thinking if Bioware might actually do it.

Lord help us all!!

Yeah... if he was a companion I'd vote for him as the worst. I'm glad he's not coming back.