How do you say "SWTOR?"

Lhancelot

I keep hearing people call it "SWORRRR-TORRRRR" all over the internet.

Looking at the letters, I don't understand where the first "OR" sound is coming from. In fact, add a D to the end of it, and you got SWORD for the first part of the word.

I read "SWTOR" as "SW-TOR." Sort of like, SWEATER but with an emphasis on the TOR ending part of the word. In no way am I reading it as "SWORRRRR-TORRR," though.

I say, "the Old Republic." If further clarification is needed, i will say, "Star Wars the Old Republic." The acronym just isnt very helping in saying as letters.

Good idea.

We could just say TOR also, right? Maybe TOR would be easiest.

I say swartor because if I try to make a T sound after a W its wierd. also war is the second word in star wars. (yes, it has a S at the end)

Yeah but where is the sWARtor part coming from if the word is "SWTOR." I think TOR, or just The Old Republic is what I will use lol.

Like, I feel like logging into TOR today!

Or, 6.0 is a really important update for The Old Republic.

I can't do this SWORRR-TORRR stuff.

I keep hearing people call it "SWORRRR-TORRRRR" all over the internet.

Looking at the letters, I don't understand where the first "OR" sound is coming from. In fact, add a D to the end of it, and you got SWORD for the first part of the word.

I read "SWTOR" as "SW-TOR." Sort of like, SWEATER but with an emphasis on the TOR ending part of the word. In no way am I reading it as "SWORRRRR-TORRR," though.

I don't find myself using the name too much. The few times someone in real life asked me what i play i just said its full name. But in my head i read its short name as swOtor (without that 'R' in the middle).

Actually for me ... most of those whom I converse with ( yes in RL ) and mess with computers are considerably younger than I am .. so I just tell them S-W-T-O-R ! Yes ... one letter at a time ! And they know. I gave up on trying to make it sound like a word ! Some how it just didn't work !

:D

When speaking to others who don't play SWTOR, I recite the full acronym: Star Wars the Old Republic. When they know what I'm talking about, or I'm mentioning it multiple times within a discussion, I'll abbreviate to The Old Republic. However, when I'm reading anything with "SWTOR" in it, I read it as each individual letter (S-W-T-O-R).

Trying to say suh-tore or shivers SWOR TOR feels awkward to me.

I say S.W. TOR. Or just TOR. Swooooo toooor sounds dumb to me. Sound like hodor. Or swole tor.

Trying to say suh-tore or shivers SWOR TOR feels awkward to me.

Agree. But I think even the devs say SWOTOR. Pretty sure I heard Musco say in a live stream.

But to be fair, who cares how the devs say it. They can't even say Ossus correctly -- it shouldn't be Oh-Suss. It should be Ah-Suss. Double consonants.

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

This was a conversation on these forums before the game launched. I remember threads where people were complaining they were already hearing people say SWO-TOR, and how no one should say SWO-TOR. From the very beginning I've just called it TOR, or will elaborate either Star Wars: The Old Republic or just Star Wars for those who aren't familiar.

I say, and spell SWTOR (sounds like SWOTOR) but when talking to other people and especially looking around the internet or books I look for anything similar often just TOR. Its often pronounced SOTOR even by its own people. Like most other things in Life their are many differences but generally they all mean the same.

This was a conversation on these forums before the game launched. I remember threads where people were complaining they were already hearing people say SWO-TOR, and how no one should say SWO-TOR. From the very beginning I've just called it TOR, or will elaborate either Star Wars: The Old Republic or just Star Wars for those who aren't familiar.

I have a feeling "TOR" is what EA/Bioware were hoping would stick, and I can understand why, but I don't often hear it called that. "SWO-TOR" is the most common I believe. Though personally, I tend to use, "Star Wars: The Old Republic", or just "The Old Republic" if I'm talking to someone who will understand the reference.

I use German for saying SWTOR:

S - W - Tor.

The German W sounds like "bae"*, thus: "wae". And Tor means goal in German.

Works only in German like that. All the other languages I speak use "double u" or similar pronounciation for W.

*https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=B%C3%A6

This is how I pronounce it as well.

Sometimes I'll just use TOR as well.

yep. when I think about it, I'll say TOR, as SW is unnecessary. but in my head, I see the SWTOR, and I'll immediately try to pronounce it, which requires a phantom vowel between the W and T. hence "swO-tor."

rigorously speaking though, The Old Republic (TOR) is the only thing you should need to identify the game. It's distinct from KOTOR.

Edited by foxmob