Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Fresh latency issues (Satele Shan)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Fresh latency issues (Satele Shan)

AllisonLightning
11.14.2019 , 10:54 AM | #1
Okay, forget gear hi-jinks (worse drops, nerfed tactical- the operation frames that are harder to read- latency to the Satele Shan server as APAC has jumped by forty- fifty ms (gpn barely makes a difference)... what did you guys do with this last patch?
http://www.swtor.com/r/xsvzTv

Come to the dark side, where you get cookies and so do I.

JediQuaker
11.14.2019 , 03:07 PM | #2
As usual, it probably has to do with the route your internet signal takes to the SWTOR servers. Something between you and the servers has added some extra ping.
Hold water, a sieve may not, but hold another sieve, it will - Yoda..

Referral code - http://www.swtor.com/r/dZ8wSV

TrixxieTriss
11.14.2019 , 08:01 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by AllisonLightning View Post
Okay, forget gear hi-jinks (worse drops, nerfed tactical- the operation frames that are harder to read- latency to the Satele Shan server as APAC has jumped by forty- fifty ms (gpn barely makes a difference)... what did you guys do with this last patch?
Hi Allison, I’m also playing from APAC and I know from all my experiences since the server move and testing different ISPs that it’s not the server.
The most likely culprit is your ISP has rerouted you through another third part provider or another of their own routes and the pairing they have in the US.

This has happened on and off to me. I know being routed through Telstra and it’s pairing arrangements is the absolute worst for this and always results in my ping jumping by 40ms (with out fail).
I’ve swapped ISPs a few times now to avoid this, but more and more are signing Telstra as a partner path to the US. My last ISP did this without warning after they dumped a previous partner. They told me this was a bandaid fix till they brought on their own and would only use Telstra as a back up. But Telstra back up was used too often for my liking so I changed ISPs.

I’ve moved to superloop whose parent company rivals Telstra and has it own back bone network and pairing in the US.
It’s still not perfect in stability and spikes, but I get 216ms from the Illawarra. To mitigate the spikes I pay to use WTFast gaming VPN. The paid version allows you to pick two network hops to the servers, which allows you to route yourself around spike problems and higher ping in the US. Of course I never get 216ms with them, it’s more like 220-230ms, but the ping is normally rock solid (once you understand and work out the different paths).

Anyway, I hope that shines a light on what is most likely causing the issue. There are a few other potential causes (but they are less likely).

You can check what’s happening by using www.pingplotter.com to see where the increased ping is coming from. That is always my first step in diagnosing problems like this. It is also a good tool to provide your ISP with data and put pressure on them to fix your routing with their pairing companies in the US.

TrixxieTriss
11.14.2019 , 08:02 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by JediQuaker View Post
As usual, it probably has to do with the route your internet signal takes to the SWTOR servers. Something between you and the servers has added some extra ping.
99.99% of the time this is true, but not always.

AllisonLightning
11.15.2019 , 01:02 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by JediQuaker View Post
It affected multiple people who live in different countries (APAC) so I think it's their routing.
http://www.swtor.com/r/xsvzTv

Come to the dark side, where you get cookies and so do I.