Why did Jeff Hickman lie to subscribers about the future of the game?

Dawginole

• Replies 667
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of them do, just look at how many are advocating it. leave them to it i say. What does it matter if you cant trust a word they say, its all good right... right ?

Ya I really dont care about them. They already destroyed this game and further drive the nails. You can thank them personally for having this game go from 2.5 mil subs to under 500k in a year, biggest loss of subs/revenue in MMO history.

Ya I really dont care about them. They already destroyed this game and further drive the nails. You can thank them personally for having this game go from 2.5 mil subs to under 500k in a year, biggest loss of subs/revenue in MMO history.

WoW has lost over 4million subscribers in the last couple years. Exaggeration doesn't make you right.

6 months ago I told my mom I was planning on going to school to get an MBA. Now I changed my mind and don't think its worth the money. Does that make me a liar?

Great analogy! If your mom gave you the money for the MBA in good faith because you told her you were using it for classes and instead you were buying coke and partying with her money, then yes, you would be a liar. She invested in something with her money based on a promise that you would use that money to attend class and you did not follow through. So yes, in that case, you would be a liar.

Thanks for your addition to the thread and giving us such a great analogy!

Great analogy! If your mom gave you the money for the MBA in good faith because you told her you were using it for classes and instead you were buying coke and partying with her money, then yes, you would be a liar. She invested in something with her money based on a promise that you would use that money to attend class and you did not follow through. So yes, in that case, you would be a liar.

Thanks for your addition to the thread and giving us such a great analogy!

Except she did not give me the money, I pay for my own school. Just like I never gave Bioware money based on the "promise" that the OP is complaining about. So in that regard, they are exactly the same.

WoW has lost over 4million subscribers in the last couple years. Exaggeration doesn't make you right.

Difference is wow could lose 4 mil more and still be 6 times as big as swtor. so sticks and stones.

Edited by Shingara

Your cell phone provider sells you a phone, you sign a contract. Cell phone provider tells you all future updates are free, update comes out and costs you money.

Would you not care? If so, you're an idiot.

It's much different than some twerp telling mommy he is going to school.

Except the only contract you've signed is the ToS, and last I checked it didn't mention them not being able to charge for content. I'm sorry you're under the impression a blog post is a contract, you must not deal with very many.

Except the only contract you've signed is the ToS, and last I checked it didn't mention them not being able to charge for content. I'm sorry you're under the impression a blog post is a contract, you must not deal with very many.

Ow ye, another game tried this trick, it was called swg, worked out well for them didnt it.

Difference is wow could lose 4 mil more and still be 6 times as big as swtor. so stick and stones.

Really?

WoW has 8million subs worldwide, somewhere around 3million of them are western subs. SWTOR has 500k-1mil western subs, so for comparison purposes you have to say WoW only has 3-4 million subscribers. We'll be generous and call it 4 million, but I believe its less than 3.

4 million minus 4 million is zero. Zero is less than 500k. Zero is not 6 times more than 500k.

I refer to my earlier post. Exaggeration doesn't make you right.

Edited by Icebergy

Really?

WoW has 8million subs worldwide, somewhere around 3million of them are western subs. SWTOR has 500k-1mil western subs, so for comparison purposes you have to say WoW only has 3-4 million subscribers. We'll be generous and call it 4 million, but I believe its less than 3.

4 million minus 4 million is zero. Zero times 6 is zero. Zero is less than 500k.

swtor has 500k full stop, please dont delude yourself. wow has 8 mil, 8-4 =4

Edited by Shingara

Really?

4 million minus 4 million is zero. Zero times 6 is zero. Zero is less than 500k.

nope sorry the investor call the other day said they have less than 500k subs world wide.

Except she did not give me the money, I pay for my own school. Just like I never gave Bioware money based on the "promise" that the OP is complaining about. So in that regard, they are exactly the same.

See, now you're just confused. If you subscribe, you give BW money every month based on a promise. You pay $15/month based on the promise that in exchange for that money you will receive one month of service in exchange.

What you are defending is no different than if you paid $15 for one month of service on May 1st, and on May 15th, they emailed you and said, "We changed our minds, you'll need to pay us another $15 for the rest of the month."

If you are comfortable with a business "changing their minds" after they have already taken your money. Then that's your business. But that's not okay with me. A financial exchange is a contract. And when a multi-billion dollar company promises a customer a given service for his money, then they need to own up to the promised exchange of valued goods; i.e. their product/service as promised in exchange for my currency.

I'll go play the game now, the forums are officially the domain of the unintelligent. When people that have an agenda and don't know or care how a business works post on here this type of thread happens.

You are mad at Bioware. You are willing to post anything at all that makes you feel better. Outlandish claims, completely false statements, and analogies that don't make logical sense are your forte. You will never be satisfied with anything they do. You don't feel 'valued' because the producer didn't ask you directly for your input. You feel you can create a better game if they would just listen to you. You have a chip on your shoulder, a 1 liter bottle of mountain dew, and the night is young. The forums will burn from your rage.

Edited by Tim-ONeil

The great thing about MMOs is that there is no extended contract. So, bioware can't "trick" you into taking your money long term. If you don't like their business practices, you aren't locked into supporting them.

It's pretty laughable how people can interpret quotes from a developer as promises, guarantees, and contracts.

Edited by Ten_Ton_Hammer

You are willing to post anything at all that makes you feel better. Outlandish claims, completely false statements,

I posted a quote from the guy producing the game that is from a blog post he wrote, posted on the official site. Who is the one making false statements again?

6 months ago I told my mom I was planning on going to school to get an MBA. Now I changed my mind and don't think its worth the money. Does that make me a liar?

Depends, did your mom give you money for the MBA based on that discussion?

And to the OP, this sort of thing is going to continue until they get nailed with a class action lawsuit. Which, when the subscriber pool gets big enough, will eventually happen to one of these gaming companies.

Edited by dcgregorya

You are giving them your money. You are a subscriber obviously, since you are posting. One thing you have to learn, if you lie to your consumers, it is called false advertisement. It doesn't get much simpler then that. That whole "things change" argument is a bunch of ********. Do you think the devs at BW walked into EA's conference room and when asked why there's such a dip in revenue, why subs have gone down, why is there this much anger on the forums. Do you really think they will say "Things change." Do you really accept that as an excuse? You are one of those people who roll over for anything aren't ya?

Here's something simple: Lying to consumers will lead you to having no consumers left. Is that good business? No. Things do change. But as a business, you better well implement in a way that doesn't piss people off. And BW fails in that regard.

"Planning to [action]" and then changing your minds doesn't really make you anything.

"Promising [client relationship detail]" and then changing your mind means you didn't keep your word. Is that the same as lying? No, but it's certainly not a good way to get people to trust future promises. Every broken promise is more trust lost.

Edited by AshlaBoga