Suggestion: 258 Gear Should Also Drop From Command Crates

arunav

Otherwise, what was the point of leveling up so many of our characters to Command Rank 300+?

The drop rate can match the long grind you have in mind for 258 gear, but 258 gear should still be available in Command Crates.

Galactic Command isn't a bad system for PVE - it allows for gearing your characters without having to re-play years' old Operations, if that's your preference. For example, I geared my first full 248 character by playing GSF a bunch. It was much more enjoyable than playing older Operations and upgrading to 248. Now, I also play a lot of GSF generally, which I hadn't before.

Ideally, for 6.0, PVP gear with Expertise and vendors can be brought back, and Galactic Command can just be for PVE gear and work as it does currently. For both veteran and newer players, the ability to play the content you enjoy and still slowly attain BiS gear is appealing and an idea worth preserving. Operations-focused players that prefer token drops in NiM content can still gear that way and do so more efficiently.

Edited by arunav

Otherwise, what was the point of leveling up so many of our characters to Command Rank 300+?

The drop rate can match the long grind you have in mind for 258 gear, but 258 gear should still be available in Command Crates.

Yes, I agree. It would still make CXP relevant and not a complete waste of time for the last 2 years.

Not been following things but came here to read about the new gear

I agree and honestly think many do too

Last thing you want to do is make the game too elitist

Yes make the drop rate really low but remember most people do not do NiM ops

Give people a chance even if it is very low to get the gear from other means esp. for alts.

Not been following things but came here to read about the new gear

I agree and honestly think many do too

Last thing you want to do is make the game too elitist

Yes make the drop rate really low but remember most people do not do NiM ops

Give people a chance even if it is very low to get the gear from other means esp. for alts.

but what do you need the gear for, if not for gtfm nim?

by some tests - it is 700-1k dps increase, what do casuals need it for? 248 combined with 236 augments is already giving more dps, then the actual content needs, and the 'but pvp' argument is silly. they should just re-introduce expertise already, that solves a lot more issues then handing out gear like candy to everyone.

Edited by Folcwar

by some tests - it is 700-1k dps increase, what do casuals need it for? 248 combined with 236 augments is already giving more dps, then the actual content needs, and the 'but pvp' argument is silly. they should just re-introduce expertise already, that solves a lot more issues then handing out gear like candy to everyone.

I'd counter with: why do you care?

Not everyone enjoys MM/NiM Ops, there isn't much of a community left that even runs them to join, and players generally like upgrading their gear.

As stated in the OP, one of the appealing changes with Galactic Command was you could run different types of content and still slowly work your way to BiS gear. If some people like doing that instead of NiM Ops, I don't think there's anything wrong with it.

It's slower, so you'll still be the first to strut around Fleet in your really, super exceptionally special gear. :rolleyes:

Technically, you *already* get 258 gear from Command Crates on PTS.

Not as a direct drop from crate, but you have a chance to get MWS from command crates. And I think it is much better to get MWS and then buy *exactly* the piece of gear I want on that character, than getting my sixth duplicate of helmet, while still missing boots and gloves.

While it would be nice to get some full pieces, I suppose it would be even rarer that getting a chance cube from command crate, which drops like.. once per blue moon?

Not as a direct drop from crate, but you have a chance to get MWS from command crates. And I think it is much better to get MWS and then buy *exactly* the piece of gear I want on that character, than getting my sixth duplicate of helmet, while still missing boots and gloves.

While it would be nice to get some full pieces, I suppose it would be even rarer that getting a chance cube from command crate, which drops like.. once per blue moon?

I would agree, except MWS aren't Legacy-bound. Without being able to send them to the right character, it doesn't serve the purpose Command Crate gear has until now.

If they make something to trade in for MWS that drops from crates that is Legacy-bound, this would make up for the lack of 258 gear in the Command system somewhat.

Philosophically, it still doesn't address the lack of 258 gear from Command crates, however. For PVE, the system works just fine and shouldn't be abandoned, especially after we've been by default encouraged to get to rank 300+ on our characters with all the Double CXP weeks.

Edited by arunav

^^ I agree.

I would agree, except MWS aren't Legacy-bound. Without being able to send them to the right character, it doesn't serve the purpose Command Crate gear has until now.

And how is that different from an actual gear drop from a crate?

Besides.. you can buy gear on one character with MWS and then pull the mods and push them into a piece of legacy gear and move the mods anywhere in your legacy that you want.

People rail on Command Crates RNG for years.. and then.. when a more flexible method is implemented... they want what they railed on as some super low drop rate rare cherry on top? Mind boggling.

Edited by Andryah

How about pvp?

Have you done the dailies on Ossus on the test center? I have 248 gear and some of the dailies there give you some trouble if you don't have 258 gear. I tested one specific daily with 248 gear, was killed instantly by 2 gold elite sith, then tested it with 252 gear, lasted a bit longer but still died and then tested it with 258 and was able to do it. So there is a problem with the dailies on Ossus if you don't have 258 gear.

Have you done the dailies on Ossus on the test center? I have 248 gear and some of the dailies there give you some trouble if you don't have 258 gear. I tested one specific daily with 248 gear, was killed instantly by 2 gold elite sith, then tested it with 252 gear, lasted a bit longer but still died and then tested it with 258 and was able to do it. So there is a problem with the dailies on Ossus if you don't have 258 gear.

This is really what is worrying me about the new gear. If it truly is just for NiM Ops, whatever. But it seems like the new solo/story bits are being tuned up, and that concerns me. If it's going to be a situation where you cannot do the dailies without a character being in 252 or 258 gear it's going to mean that a lot of story players aren't going to be able to go on.

Up until now you have *not* needed to be in BiS or close to it to complete dailies and the story progression (you can do Nathema in 230s), so if that has changed it's a real concern.

Edited by IoNonSoEVero

I just returned, and do not have anywhere close to 248 on my characters, and there is no way I'm grinding gear for the next several months just to run the new dailies.

If this tuning isn't a mistake, then my subscription was, and I will rectify that quickly.

On the OP's idea - 258 dropping from CXP boxes as an additional source would be fine with me, though if they did add it to T4, I'd like to see them update CXP system and change the gear to tier matching for catch up.

For example, T1 should be dropping 236 at a minimum at this point.

I mean ffs, SM Ops drop 236 tokens as well as boosted characters start with 230. Expecting someone to grind 80+ to well over 150 levels just to get gear that might be usable instead of disintegrated is really poor design.

I just returned, and do not have anywhere close to 248 on my characters, and there is no way I'm grinding gear for the next several months just to run the new dailies.

If this tuning isn't a mistake, then my subscription was, and I will rectify that quickly.

On the OP's idea - 258 dropping from CXP boxes as an additional source would be fine with me, though if they did add it to T4, I'd like to see them update CXP system and change the gear to tier matching for catch up.

For example, T1 should be dropping 236 at a minimum at this point.

I mean ffs, SM Ops drop 236 tokens as well as boosted characters start with 230. Expecting someone to grind 80+ to well over 150 levels just to get gear that might be usable instead of disintegrated is really poor design.

i am hoping that they have overtuned it. Most of the dailies are not a problem but there is one (these are not heroics) that is a problem when two gold sith elites appear and attack. I can get my boyfriend or my guild to help me but for others that do solo this can be a problem.

i am hoping that they have overtuned it. Most of the dailies are not a problem but there is one (these are not heroics) that is a problem when two gold sith elites appear and attack. I can get my boyfriend or my guild to help me but for others that do solo this can be a problem.

If this is the mission i'm thinking off (recover the holocron in the temple?) it was a heroic in the previous PTS iteration, isn't now. and was a bit overtuned even then. there are more than a few things that are throwing force quakes that do 22k/tick, and if you've got 2 sith lords channeling it at the same time thats pretty nasty.

I didn't think there was any bolster for PvE. Trash drops on ossus were higher than the 220, can't recall exactly what.

AFAIK, bolster does not exist in open world areas (though 'reverse bolster' exists when visiting areas over-leveled).

Bolster (both level and power) does exist inside PVE instances (SM / HM FPs and SM OPs), but the bolster is to level 70 with minimal stats to complete the content (and no where near 248).

Firstly the current system has been in the game like forever

Was it perfect?

No

But it is what people have been used to for years

Now if you replace it with a system that favours folks who do not do NiM gods(which i am sure we all agree is a good majority of folks who play this game) maybe you will not see sub loss

But you made it worse for a vast majority of the player base

If in doubt maybe do a ingame poll and ask people if they want this changes and i am sure you will get your answer

Now back to history lesson

Let me list games that failed to listen to their player base and changed it from a flawed system to an even more flawed system

Actually i only need to name one to make my point

Star wars galaxies

Of course this is not in the same magnitude as what happened but it follows the same principle

Edited by xakanrn

Firstly the current system has been in the game like forever

Was it perfect?

No

But it is what people have been used to for years

Now if you replace it with a system that favours folks who do not do NiM gods(which i am sure we all agree is a good majority of folks who play this game) maybe you will not see sub loss

But you made it worse for a vast majority of the player base

If in doubt maybe do a ingame poll and ask people if they want this changes and i am sure you will get your answer

Now back to history lesson

Let me list games that failed to listen to their player base and changed it from a flawed system to an even more flawed system

Actually i only need to name one to make my point

Star wars galaxies

Of course this is not in the same magnitude as what happened but it follows the same principle

For Non NiM raiders:

In the current gearing system GC the most complaints on these very forums were about the RNG, and the long grind to 300. So based off of this BW has listened to the population by making this system so RNG is reduced. In fact the only RNG that I see is the one for getting a MWS from a rank 300 crate, or the randomness of the weekly event option that gives out a shard. The player can choose which piece of gear he or she wants once they get enough shards to purchase it.

Both Systems will force us to grind for sure, but BW did listen, and remove the RNG factor.

Edited by Toraak

For Non NiM raiders:

In the current gearing system GC the most complaints on these very forums were about the RNG, and the long grind to 300. So based off of this BW has listened to the population by making this system so RNG is reduced. In fact the only RNG that I see is the one for getting a MWS from a rank 300 crate, or the randomness of the weekly event option that gives out a shard. The player can choose which piece of gear he or she wants once they get enough shards to purchase it.

Both Systems will force us to grind for sure, but BW did listen, and remove the RNG factor.

Currently it seems to be the same impression most are getting

1.Grind is worse

2.takes longer on average to gear

3.favours heavily the NiM players who in return will also control the market

Seems a disaster waiting to happen here and I do not think this game can afford this with its current numbers

I disagree. We do not need more rng. Shards dropping from crates is better, but they either need to be legacy bound, or Ossus needs to be accessible to alts.

Besides.. you can buy gear on one character with MWS and then pull the mods and push them into a piece of legacy gear and move the mods anywhere in your legacy that you want.

The problem is that if we get a shard on an alt that we haven't played through the KOTFE&KOTET story with, it is effectively useless. If we unlock Ossus on one char, I believe it should be unlocked for our whole legacy. That, or the masterwork vendor should not be locked behind story, and just stand on fleet.