How does looting work within your raid group?

I'd like to know how your groups set up loot distribution. My group uses the master looter system and I'm finding it very irksome. While the group has been helping me fill my weekly quota in coms with ease for months, it has caught my eye that our raider leaders, who are designated as the master looter, always seem to get the gear tokens themselves, or pass them off to other raid leaders. The first few times this happened, I chucked it up to lucky random rolls designated by the ml system. However this occurrence has become so prevalent (it's happening 100% of the raids), that I'm now certain that they aren't randomly rolling the tokens as with the other gear. To be frank, I've gotten really angry with the way things are going. I'm no used farming tool and I will not pay my dues, only to end up with some chump change for my efforts while others make off with the lions share of the reward because they hold a higher rank.

Funny thing is that this group is close to three years old and in the few months I've been with them, I was the only one to notice this happening, until I started voicing my views to others in the group who I feel close to. They too became disgruntled since having their eyes opened. One of my associates actually went so far as to point it out in op chat each time it happened in a raid yesterday. This brought a few more disgruntled raiders over to our side of things. As it stands now this sedition has put our sect of the group on the precipice of secession unless things change. The leaders are arguing that random rolls will invite ninjas, but from my point of view the master looter system is the evil entity here. I'd rather have a fair chance of randomly competing with a ninja for the tokens than have the master looter assuredly take them. To that end I'd like to collect some data on how other groups operate in regards to loot, so I can help to guide my people on how best to move forward.

Our group:

Everyone rolls on a token set bonus piece. You cannot roll a second piece until everyone else has gotten one, then it resets back to open roll (etc.)

Non-set pieces are open for everyone. As are decos.

If you've gotten a cool deco already, it is considered polite to not roll on another in the same run.

Edited by Khevar

We use master looter with Sucide kings, basically there's a list (3 actually, mains, alts & offspecs, mk-2s), people "need" by saying in chat whether it is for their main or alt or whatever and the person on top wins and is moved to the bottom of the list.

Priority is for mains (regardless of rank or "status") except on alt nights. Mk-2s and decos are usually randomed this far into a patch cycle. Special stuff (like a rare mount) is rolled for once per person, once you have it on your main you don't roll for it again for an alt unless everybody else in the night's group already has it.

drunk ops: roll whatever you want (except for greed on decos and mats)

progression ops: Suicide list. One set piece per person (things like mainhand, off hand, relics, implants, earpiece not included)

casual ops: need for (old) set bonus (unless asked otherwise), greed for everything else.

Our group:

Everyone rolls on a token set bonus piece. You cannot roll a second piece until everyone else has gotten one, then it resets back to open roll (etc.)

Non-set pieces are open for everyone. As are decos.

If you've gotten a cool deco already, it is considered polite to not roll on another in the same run.

Pretty much this for us as well.

We raid enough on multiple toons to have them geared out pretty fast. And this will be especially true when you can use one dps legacy gear set for all dps toon swith 4.0 and the mainstat changes.:o

Set to master looter at beginning of raid, raid leader takes anything with "unassembled" in the name (randoms out all the mk-2 stuff, mats and decos go to the guild bank) and then at the end of the raid, everyone rolls once. Highest roll gets first pick of loot, next highest gets next, etc. down the line. I guess if a vehicle dropped it'd be a straight roll for that.

The way my team generally does it is we play to strengths.

DPS are first to get main hands and relics, healers are first to get implants and earpieces and set bonus usually goes to DPS as well, but healers last.

Yea a tank gets the short end of the stick for awhile but this is how we have done it since EV.

We also tend to gear out one person at a time.

So get DPS A all of his 192 stuff then Healer A then DPS B Healer B DPS C and so on. Then 198 same thing, though our tanks ended up with 204s first and healers last just by luck of the draw.

It is a team mentality. We trust each other's skills and we know the gear is equally used on any of us. Obviously if your greedy and want only to better yourself this system doesn't sound fun unless your DPS A or close to the front of the rotation, but tbh it works for us and so far this tier were 9/10

In the past, we used to do Master Looter and hand out one token per raid, but with 3.0 we decided that was too much of a pain and have just gone to open rolls on our raid teams, with no token limits (need if you need the set bonus, otherwise greed and negotiate swaps later). If your team members are fairly consistent, you just waste a bunch of time pausing after every boss to distribute loot when you could be downing trash on the way to the next boss instead. As long as the people on your team aren't dirtbags trying to funnel gear to alt toons, each token just makes the group stronger no matter who gets it, and everyone will get their tokens within 8ish weeks anyway.

When we do have subs fill in, there's an understanding that they not roll on gear unless no one on the scheduled team needs it. Most of our members enjoy raiding for its own sake, don't mind helping out another team, or want to try out for a regular spot at some point...we try to discourage a gear-centric attitude to raiding.

Edited by KaiserTNT

ML and /roll at the end of the raid.

No multiple important pieces unless everyone got something or doesn't care.

No multiple of the same item until everyone who matters in the raid has one (might take weeks).

If there's a disagreement on eligibility to roll on an item e.g. someone is using multiple chars/multiple roles then decision goes to officers and then to GM.

GM may discriminate on what classes get roll priority on gear in progression.

Edited by Gyronamics

I'd like to know how your groups set up loot distribution. My group uses the master looter system and I'm finding it very irksome. While the group has been helping me fill my weekly quota in coms with ease for months, it has caught my eye that our raider leaders, who are designated as the master looter, always seem to get the gear tokens themselves, or pass them off to other raid leaders. The first few times this happened, I chucked it up to lucky random rolls designated by the ml system. However this occurrence has become so prevalent (it's happening 100% of the raids), that I'm now certain that they aren't randomly rolling the tokens as with the other gear. To be frank, I've gotten really angry with the way things are going. I'm no used farming tool and I will not pay my dues, only to end up with some chump change for my efforts while others make off with the lions share of the reward because they hold a higher rank.

Funny thing is that this group is close to three years old and in the few months I've been with them, I was the only one to notice this happening, until I started voicing my views to others in the group who I feel close to. They too became disgruntled since having their eyes opened. One of my associates actually went so far as to point it out in op chat each time it happened in a raid yesterday. This brought a few more disgruntled raiders over to our side of things. As it stands now this sedition has put our sect of the group on the precipice of secession unless things change. The leaders are arguing that random rolls will invite ninjas, but from my point of view the master looter system is the evil entity here. I'd rather have a fair chance of randomly competing with a ninja for the tokens than have the master looter assuredly take them. To that end I'd like to collect some data on how other groups operate in regards to loot, so I can help to guide my people on how best to move forward.

Lol how can someone not notice that?

It's not the ML, it's your raid leaders mucking you about.

Master Looter is about trusting the raid lead. It's designed so that a group can enforce loot rules.

Instead of everyone selecting need, greed, disassemble or pass, the raid lead decides if he gives it out randomly or to a specific person.

You and everyone else in your group that never got something should abandon that guild/raid group and make their own. With a new raid lead that you trust.

Lol how can someone not notice that?

It's not the ML, it's your raid leaders mucking you about.

Master Looter is about trusting the raid lead. It's designed so that a group can enforce loot rules.

Instead of everyone selecting need, greed, disassemble or pass, the raid lead decides if he gives it out randomly or to a specific person.

You and everyone else in your group that never got something should abandon that guild/raid group and make their own. With a new raid lead that you trust.

That's exactly what it came to. Too many negative emotions between the cheaters and the cheated to be able to work together as a unit. We're looking over all this data and attempting to establish a system for ourselves that we feel can't be compromised. I thank you all for your contributions. :) Sorry for the late reply, but with things like this, it's best to let them stew, no?

Well for my raid team (i'm raidleader) at start of progression it's ML and roll.

With start i mean when you aren't able to kill many bosses yet and so loot pieces are limited.

When more bosses were on farm (like 5/10+ or so), we had a spreadsheet with the pieces that everyone already had and i tried to distribute loot so everyone (or close to) gets something that's useful to them.

For 8 people, if we had only 5 loot pieces for example, we'd give priority to the people who'd had the least pieces so far.

That way almost everyone gets to be on the same level gear wise, we avoid jealousy and such.

But we've never had any troubles with gear or anything, tho i mostly attribute that to the awesome mentality of my raid team. Gear has never been the purpose ofc, it's raiding in itself and killing things.

After all mains were fully geared and we started to gear alts it was just Ml, 1 piece each.

Gearing runs for specific alts sometimes happened and if someone wanted a particular piece I'd just check if others were ok with it.

Hope this helps and you find a good system and team that works for everyone involved.

Edited by Steefr

We write down players' loot in a list for every tier of content. For every token you get, you will get one tick on that list. So if several people in the raid roll for a token item, we first check that list and the player with less ticks wins. Only if people have the same number of ticks, the one with the higher roll wins. That way loot will be distributed equally over time and nothing is wasted.

Newly recruited players get the average number of all players in the raid as a starting number.

If noone rolls on an item anymore (later in content) the item is declared as available for alts. You also get ticks for alt rolls in the list, same principle, so equal distribution of items for alts as well.

We keep the list available in our Teamspeak's raiding channel, so everyone can track what's happening.

Mk-1/2 Drops are generally free for all, but players will be polite enough not too roll for good enhancements if they already had several in one run.

Edited by Ardarell_Solo

I'm the RL and I use Master Loot. This is mainly due to the fact I hate making loot complicated.

Essentially its a roll system but I have the option to choose to give it to another person if I decide. Golden rule being that other person is never me. Relics always go to DPS first since I feel personally they garner the biggest benefit for the group. I'll always try to be fair and everyone may not always agree with my decisions, they can speak to me after raid if they disagree and I'll explain my reasons. If they still don't agree and its to that big a problem its pretty simple, they get the "Good luck in your future endeavours" chat.

Outside those little caveats its highest roll wins and we will all get the loot quick enough anyway.

in my raid group, master loot is not set up. The rules are just enforced and the RL will send out a list prior to who can roll on what.

It is basically 1 upgrade a week, either implant/relic or set piece. Also if you win 1, then you cannot roll on that similar

item again until everyone in the group has that piece or decided they dont need/want it.

Then once everyone has received the piece, it rolls back around to who can use the mod and enhancements on their main character. Again a person cannot roll on a 3rd of a given piece until all in the group has received their 2nd.

typically if we have a pug in the group, we allow them to take the implants and relics, as well as the decos.

Our guild keeps a spreadsheet for the progression group on the site on what set piece each member has. We run ML, then we try to distribute the loot so everyone has 1 set piece before someone gets 2, and 2 before 3 and so on. Not always works perfectly, but no complaining about gear since we moved to this. Keeps everything fair and works to make sure if someone got a set piece, but chose something for an alt or off spec that it was recorded they won a piece in case the gear doesn't reflect that. Edited by Jamtas

My raid group uses a 3 point roll system: Slot Roll, Upgrade Roll, and Free Roll.

Slot Roll is priority and means you have never won said unassembled loot piece before. This way everyone gets each piece once before anyone is rolling on a second. For relics and implants everyone wins one before anyone rolls for their second. There is a limit of one unassembled loot piece per person per operation, unless a person is super unlucky with rolls and hasn't won any unassembled pieces before everyone else in which case they can continue to roll on slot pieces unless someone else is still eligible.

Upgrade Roll is second and unassembled loot pieces only reach this tier once everyone in the raid has won that specific piece once. Upgrade refers to the mods and enhancements that you can rip from the unassembled piece to better BIS (Best in Slot) your main character.

Free Roll is the last tier of rolls and only happens once all raiders are BIS. Unassembled pieces won can be used for anything; gearing out an alt, building an off gear set for you character, gearing out companions, ripping out mods, enchancements, and armoring to reverse engineer, or just plain selling for credits.

Edited by stuartjs

My guild only does a coupla ops a week atm, but we're working on getting more active. If it helps, though our rule atm is "One.won Need per type per op". Simply, if you roll Need on a piece of gear, token, deco, or mount and win, you Greed on everything else from that category the rest of the op.

I do like the ML/spreadsheet idea many of you seem to use, though. I'll have to pass that along to my guild's raid leader. Might get more people to check our forums if we started using them for loot tables : p

My team has been raiding together for a very long time (the original members have been in the group for almost 4 years), so keep in mind there is a lot of trust.

1. Set pieces and mainhand. 1 per raid. Roll need until everyone on the team has their 2 piece, then greed. Once everyone has their 2 piece, roll need until everyone has their 4 piece. Once everyone has their 4 piece, roll need until everyone has their 6 piece. Then roll need for min-maxing by asking "Mind if I need for the enhancement?" in voice. If you got a set piece that raid, no rolling on the main hand.

2. Relics and implants. Roll need until you get 1 of each, then roll greed. Once everyone has one of each, roll need until you get both.

3. If you pugged or alt ran and got a set piece for your main, that set piece counts (so for example, I run an operation with my Sorc in our Imperial sister guild and get a chest piece. I send that over to my Shadow, and this completes my 4 piece bonus, I stop rolling until everyone gets their 4 piece... just because I got it somewhere else doesnt entitle me to more rolls)

The goal is to spread out loot between everyone. A piece for someone on the team is really a piece for everyone, so we will defer a roll if it makes sense to (i.e. tanks will hold off on rolling on mainhands until the DPS have mainhands). Basically, if one of my DPS gets an upgrade and does more DPS with it, it helps everyone.

We gear to clear the content. We don't clear the content to get gear. Given that approach, and that we're fairly stable, means that folks are motivated to gear in order to do a better job, not to hold onto their spot on the team.