Intergalactic Strike Day?

Nemarus

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This will be just another day for me. The only ships on my ready deck are strike fighters.

I also have a Novadive and a Quarrel parked on deck beside my strikes, and the crew chief keeps giving me dirty looks every time I go past them. Something about lubricants and coolant gunking up if the ship isn't flown. Told him that if he doesn't like flushing their systems he can flush them down the toilet as far as I'm concerned (hint; do not say this to your crew chief, apparently they tend to love all of the ships that they work on, I'm not sure why). He didn't like the breaking down/selling off for spare parts idea either. Go figure.

Good fun on TEH.

We should do it again.

Yep! Right now we'll aim to do it again next Monday, unless it turns out the bulk of people would prefer a different day. But we had a pretty awesome crowd and a lot of participants on TEH tonight. Kudos and thank you! ^_^

Thanks to all on TEH for making strike night an overall success. Republic side seemed to take it more to heart but seemed to have more upgraded strikes. When I played on Imp side some players stated they weren't playing strikes since they weren't upgraded and many more played stock fighters in a loosing battle just to participate in a community event, but we all have to start somewhere right??

Hopefully, strike night will live on and people will be able to hone some dogfighting skills and realize the value of strike fighters as a tough, no nonsense, multi-role ship able to take and hold satellites or tear through enemy ships. It was nice to see true dog fighting return to pre-2.0 levels. I saw a lot more clarions then usual, a few pikes, a lot of upgraded star guards, no quells, no imperiums and lots of stock Rycers. Which tells me Imps are either very new to GSF or Imps hate strikes :)

J'exx (Republic Privateer) - The Ebon Hawk

Stalker (Imperial Intellegence) - The Ebon Hawk

Edited by havokhead

Thanks to all on TEH for making strike night an overall success. Republic side seemed to take it more to heart but seemed to have more upgraded strikes. When I played on Imp side some players stated they weren't playing strikes since they weren't upgraded and many more played stock fighters in a loosing battle just to participate in a community event, but we all have to start somewhere right??

Hopefully, strike night will live on and people will be able to hone some dogfighting skills and realize the value of strike fighters as a tough, no nonsense, multi-role ship able to take and hold satellites or tear through enemy ships. It was nice to see true dog fighting return to pre-2.0 levels. I saw a lot more clarions then usual, a few pikes, a lot of upgraded star guards, no quells, no imperiums and lots of stock Rycers. Which tells me Imps are either very new to GSF or Imps hate strikes :)

Twas indeed fun. I LOL'd @ the Renegade squadron, and while confused for a while, thought it was very cool to see a group of Renegade-X's all flying to one sat. Definitely a highlight in my memory - thanks for that guys!

Super intense combat yesterday at points. Only thing that wasn't fun was having domination matches - would've allowed for a lot longer games if we were able to not cap anything and just dogfight, but that's what TDMs were for (albeit nowhere near as many as I personally would've liked).

Shout down to all who didn't parttake, and the few that felt missing 1 days daily would be too much for them, but I sent tells to players politely letting them know about the event in game and they all went strikes, so it's really nice to know the community is willing to get involved even if they weren't on the cusp of latest intel.

Next time, definitely gonna switch my loadout. Some of you guys took like 10k damage and wouldn't fall. Crazy!! Overall lots of fun and appreciation for all who partook. Twas a great time, and look forward to more in the future.

Let's agree to not do an entire bomber or GS day please :)

/agree with Aimbot, the Renegade Squadron was a sight when I first spawned with them. I too cheered confusingly at the sense of style they were invoking but wondering who the hell they were!? Lol. Also agree with Aims about the no-bomber night and no GS night, even scout night would be hard with all the evasion, missile breaks & somewhat lower damage of scouts. There'd be lotsa fancy flying and probably more self-destructed than actual kills hah!!

We, as a community, could expand on the strike night however to hold maybe "No bomber Thursdays" :)

-J'exx (Republic Privateer) The Ebon Hawk

-Stalker (Imperial Intelligence) The Ebon Hawk

Twas indeed fun. I LOL'd @ the Renegade squadron, and while confused for a while, thought it was very cool to see a group of Renegade-X's all flying to one sat. Definitely a highlight in my memory - thanks for that guys!

Super intense combat yesterday at points. Only thing that wasn't fun was having domination matches - would've allowed for a lot longer games if we were able to not cap anything and just dogfight, but that's what TDMs were for (albeit nowhere near as many as I personally would've liked).

Shout down to all who didn't parttake, and the few that felt missing 1 days daily would be too much for them, but I sent tells to players politely letting them know about the event in game and they all went strikes, so it's really nice to know the community is willing to get involved even if they weren't on the cusp of latest intel.

Next time, definitely gonna switch my loadout. Some of you guys took like 10k damage and wouldn't fall. Crazy!! Overall lots of fun and appreciation for all who partook. Twas a great time, and look forward to more in the future.

Let's agree to not do an entire bomber or GS day please :)

I mentioned this in TEHGSFSN thread, but I'd like to say it here as well, especially in response to your comments about some of us being super durable. The biggest difference in Strike Night is the massive reduction of Burst Damage. No BLC's. No Rocket Pods. No Railguns. No Mines. This means that every time someone starts to damage you, you have a window of opportunity to react.

Real evasion (i.e. making yourself a difficult target and/or using cover), shield management (directional and/or regen), all three types of energy management, choosing engagement ranges and the correct weapon -- all of these aspects of the game can flourish and shine a lot more when super burst damage isn't a threat. It made the game much more balanced in terms of who is in control. In normal GSF, the vast majority of control is the hands of the person attacking, which skews the game to be very offense-focused. In Strike Night, control is much more balanced between the attacker and the target. The attacker has an edge, to be sure, but the target has a much larger set of actions (than in normal GSF) that he can take to survive and pivot the situation.

This morning I took my T1 Strike (with Turbo/Directional Shields and Ion/Cluster/HLC's), which was so invincible last night, and tried it in a TDM. I got 3-shot by the first Flashfire I tried to engage :( Most of the interesting aspects of my T1 Strike were cancelled out by burst damage. I don't know if it was Blaster Overcharge or BLC's or both, but it was certainly disheartening, especially after the more intellectually stimulating fun I had last night.

Honestly it just felt like SN GSF was the better designed game. Narrower in scope and in offensive options? Sure. But I feel like the added defensive nuance--and the time for decision making and tactics--more than made up for it.

After last night, I'm further inclined to believe that GSF's fun and accessibility would be massively improved if burst damage was drastically reduced across the board. Obviously one night is only enough to make an impression, and not to justify calling for extreme changes. It may be that subsequent Strike Nights fall into some pattern where everyone flies the same build and it's boring, and we yearn for the offensive variety of Scouts, Gunships and Bombers. But it's something to keep in mind.

Well, i tried spreading the word as much as possible on JC. Either pilots were not aware of strike day or did not care about it. I had 1x match that did have mostly strikes, but i think that's because the other team were majority F2P. After a while i lost interest and i just logged off.

I have the feeling that trying to get people interested in an event like this on JC is like trying to herd cats :w_confused:

Burst damage IMO has been largely reduced in everything but the offensive components for scouts and slug railgun (with the upcoming IM nerf taking care of bombers). The issue is where people use blaster overcharge / TT along with concentrated fire, bypass can also be an issue but less so since the nerf.

I have been and continue to be a proponent of looking at the offensive components first, since they affect only 1 class (namely the dominant battlescout) I don't pretend to know the answer, but I think they should start there. There have been any number of suggestions on how to approach this including but not limited to reducing crit or damage boost or adding some other mechanic to the abilities.

On a note related to OP, sounds like I missed strike night =/ which is sad because I have been flying my Imperium almost exclusively for at least a week =) fun stuff.

on a side note, I like the idea of trying to promote a night like this but I think you should be careful. Most people don't read the forums or don't care about events like this (since they are grinding) just don't let it devolve into "hay idiot its (insert night here) why are you in a cattlescout derp a derp' :D Especially if they are going on every week, at any rate id love to pop over for one and have 0 issues with "the rules".

Edited by DamascusAdontise

Well, i tried spreading the word as much as possible on JC. Either pilots were not aware of strike day or did not care about it. I had 1x match that did have mostly strikes, but i think that's because the other team were majority F2P. After a while i lost interest and i just logged off.

I have the feeling that trying to get people interested in an event like this on JC is like trying to herd cats :w_confused:

It may be that the JC GSF community is not as large of an actual community as it is on TEH (Not being rude). I thought it strange that you were trying to publicize an event that seemed be aimed at TEH and then kinda of retrofit it to JC, given the amount of posters from TEH relative to those on JC (don't get me wrong - spreading the word is really positive and I wish it was more successful as we all enjoyed ourselves on TEH). Having more community involvement will lead others to follow suit, especially with a fun idea like this

I played for 7 matches on JC with 3 people, and we topped the charts every match in stock ships. To me, that doesn't speak to a healthy GSF community as those who possess ability will like leave there to find competition (hence our trips to the harbinger trying to find and overcome the bomberball @ 3am). Maybe make a GSF toon on TEH? :)

Edited by SammyGStatus

Burst damage IMO has been largely reduced in everything but the offensive components for scouts and slug railgun (with the upcoming IM nerf taking care of bombers). The issue is where people use blaster overcharge / TT along with concentrated fire, bypass can also be an issue but less so since the nerf.

I have been and continue to be a proponent of looking at the offensive components first, since they affect only 1 class (namely the dominant battlescout) I don't pretend to know the answer, but I think they should start there. There have been any number of suggestions on how to approach this including but not limited to reducing crit or damage boost or adding some other mechanic to the abilities.

On a note related to OP, sounds like I missed strike night =/ which is sad because I have been flying my Imperium almost exclusively for at least a week =) fun stuff.

on a side note, I like the idea of trying to promote a night like this but I think you should be careful. Most people don't read the forums or don't care about events like this (since they are grinding) just don't let it devolve into "hay idiot its (insert night here) why are you in a cattlescout derp a derp' :D Especially if they are going on every week, at any rate id love to pop over for one and have 0 issues with "the rules".

Yes, offensive cooldowns are the big culprit for Scouts. It's hard to say how BLC's would be in the overall meta without them.

I don't think Ion Railgun is much less bursty than a Slug. Sure, it takes two shots to actually damage your hull, but in most cases you are so drained after the Ion rail hits that you are unable to take much intelligent action. If Gunships couldn't equip both Ion AND Slug, then Ion would be perfectly balanced, and equipping an Ion railgun would mean you are consciously focusing on team support instead of damage.

As for Slug, I know a couple of folks have recommended reducing max charge time for railguns, reducing their burst damage, and increasing their sustained DPS. I think that'd be a wonderful change, and would make Strikes able to "tank" railgun shots much more effectively.

Yes, exactly the same experience here. I mentioned it in chat prior to several matches (as I'd been doing for several days leading up to the event) and I don't think I saw more than one or two folks switch to a strike. And while I think I did see more strikes than unusual, there were definitely lots of 2-ship F2P/noobs flying Rycers/Star Guards.

I played for a couple of hours and gave up, like you. Oh well. It was worth a shot. I amused myself, at least.

Edited by MaximilianPower

To be honest, I'm almost hoping that cattle scouts get nerfed, even though I sport one myself (with BLCs and all :D), because then I can justify using my Pike in domination (since I won't get shredded if I go near a sat).

Gotta love the Pike; one of the best jousters when using Quad/Cluster/Conc/DirecShields :rak_03:

To be honest, I'm almost hoping that cattle scouts get nerfed, even though I sport one myself (with BLCs and all :D), because then I can justify using my Pike in domination (since I won't get shredded if I go near a sat).

Gotta love the Pike; one of the best jousters when using Quad/Cluster/Conc/DirecShields :rak_03:

I think that's the best thing about Strikes. All three variants have a couple of legit builds that, in the absence of Battle Scouts, could be viable. The margin of optimization would be much smaller.

Just listening to people talk about Strike builds last night on [Gsf], I think almost every component was being used by someone. Perhaps Strikes haven't gotten used enough for there to be a converged consensus yet, but it was still fun to see.