Abandoning a toon?

A_nonymous

Has anyone else ever had to abandon a toon before? I've got a level 46 that I am thinking of just scrapping because I fear I have so severely jacked him up he's not worth salvaging. He was my first toon I tried creating so I did everything wrong I fear. He's a trooper and I went commando instead of vanguard. Then I went with armormech instead of something more versastile like cybertech. On top of this I skipped a couple of planets and have not been able to catch up. Now I'm on Belsavis trying to deal w/the voss and I'm finding I can't do anything really. I struggle with all the missions I've got because I'm underleveled and my toon is squishy. I'm thinking of just parking him in a cantina somewhere and abandoning him altogether. Start afresh with a new toon and actually try to learn from my mistakes. Thoughts?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone else ever had to abandon a toon before? I've got a level 46 that I am thinking of just scrapping because I fear I have so severely jacked him up he's not worth salvaging. He was my first toon I tried creating so I did everything wrong I fear. He's a trooper and I went commando instead of vanguard. Then I went with armormech instead of something more versastile like cybertech. On top of this I skipped a couple of planets and have not been able to catch up. Now I'm on Belsavis trying to deal w/the voss and I'm finding I can't do anything really. I struggle with all the missions I've got because I'm underleveled and my toon is squishy. I'm thinking of just parking him in a cantina somewhere and abandoning him altogether. Start afresh with a new toon and actually try to learn from my mistakes. Thoughts?

Huh? The Voss aren't on Belsavis, they are on Voss. If you are level 46 I'd say you should be on Voss or near to it, just follow your class quest to where ever that leads and go from there.

Up to you really. I never play my 1st toon even though it's a 50. Never actually finished the story tbh. With a litlle effort you can salvage that toon and have fun with it. If you need the slot (wich still amazes me that some people do) then I guess delete it and start a new one. Just don't forget to transfer all your stuff (money, gear ect) to me first ;)

That is almost exactly what I did with my first character and a commando no less.

There are quite a few people who would tell you that the first character is a throw away. Level up, make mistakes, learn from them then go back and do it the right way with another character. So don't feel bad.

You could also try going back to the planets you skipped and doing some of the side quests to level up a little. There is also PVP, space missions and flashpoints that can gain you some righteous XP.

If you decide to roll another character, keep your commando around and make him/her do some crafting or something like that.

My 1st toon and still my main is a Sent. I chose Artifice and the 2 gathering professions to go with it. After hitting 50 and being full rakata (which was BiS at the time) I switch to Biochem and maxed it out in about 4 to 5 hours with a little help from teh GTN.

Its never to late for a toon IMO you can regear respec everything.

Huh? The Voss aren't on Belsavis, they are on Voss. If you are level 46 I'd say you should be on Voss or near to it, just follow your class quest to where ever that leads and go from there.

Doh. Don't know what I was thinking. I am on Voss. The previous planets don't really have any missions on them I could do that would actually give me XP beyond the Heroics of course. I'm just at a point where I'm getting my *** kicked on everything and the the fights I don't lose I win by the skin of my teeth. I suspect my gun is under leveled as well as my armor (3300 and I'm told it should be twice that) so I'm not doing so well with this toon and thinking of just rolling a Shadow and trying to do it right.

Lvl 46? And you're so close to capping out to 50 too.

The highest level character I dropped was a lvl 27 operative and I did it for a dumb reason too, because I didn't like his voice acting. I wish I didn't delete him since I got so far into the game and wasted like hours of effort.

Do some DPS in the group finder or do some WZs until you gain another level or so. Once you hit 47 or 48, you shouldn't be having too much trouble on Voss.

Or, you could also use your current comms (or buy stuff off the GTN) to gear up Tano Vik or M1-4X and switch to the heals spec. You kill things slower as a healer, but you'll be a hard team to kill.

On Belsavis republic side just catch the taxi to the first taxi then next to you on your left is a guy that gives a heroic 2 ( forgot the name ,even though I do it on two characters daily , i will update here when I do them ). This heroic 2 is as simple as running into the cave right next to you past 3 mobs and clicking on a corpse then returning to hand it in. It takes a total of 2 mins from start to finish. Do that mission every day and eventually you will be level 49. Simple.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

Do some DPS in the group finder or do some WZs until you gain another level or so. Once you hit 47 or 48, you shouldn't be having too much trouble on Voss.

Or, you could also use your current comms (or buy stuff off the GTN) to gear up Tano Vik or M1-4X and switch to the heals spec. You kill things slower as a healer, but you'll be a hard team to kill.

This has been suggested to me before. I've tried running w/a tank but I'm currently specced dps which is probably why it doesn't work very well. I can't heal him fast enough and we both get killed fairly quickly.

This has been suggested to me before. I've tried running w/a tank but I'm currently specced dps which is probably why it doesn't work very well. I can't heal him fast enough and we both get killed fairly quickly.

Your two choices are either to stay DPS specced and use Elara (make sure you're both geared as much as possible) or switch to full healing spec and use a tank companion. Trying to heal a tank at high levels when you're DPS specced doesn't work. But, if you switch to full heals, you'll get additional healing abilities (and talents that make your healing better over all) that make keeping your tank and yourself alive a cake walk.

With a commando, spec dps, and have Elara with you. You can just pass gear down to her once you upgrade yourself. I would also make sure you have your 2 heals on your bar, so you can heal yourself as well.

As far as gear, you should have a 5 piece of orange gear with blue 44 mods in them and your weapon should be orange and with blue 44 mods. Try to get that far and try again. I would also spec the right tree and not the middle one. If you could post what gear you have on and how much money you have, we can do our best to help get this guy get to 50. Also your skill rotation would also help.

Since ive been playing (13th Dec 2011) ive made around 18 characters, I have a tendancy to delete loads to either make space or just out of boredom.. now I have only kept the 8 toons that all work in my RP lore, but before I delete them, I salvage their gear, ie if they were wearing columi/BH gear ill strip the mods out and send it to another alt via legacy gear so I can then instantly kit up another alt/companions for better stats

But its not uncommon for someone to delete a toon, a lot of people tend to do it.. somtimes as they think levelling is the best part, so they level, do the story for that class then delete as they dont like playing that class at end game etc

Don't give up on the character yet. Mobs with two silvers or a gold can be challenging on the later planets when you're on your first toon and still learning the core game play. On your first toon, it can be easy to fall behind in gear and really behind on your companion's gear. Part of this can stem from just no knowing you have to keep on top of it. The other part, at least for my first character, can come from letting your crafting profession keep you too broke to buy gear off the gtn.

Some tips for handling mobs. These are good for leveling and fundamental to endgame fp/ops type content

1) Kill weakest to strongest. Standard & weak enemies still tend to hit pretty hard, but are much quicker to take down. If you take them down early, you save yourself a lot of incoming damage

2) If you see a mob with multiple silvers or a gold plus some little guys, open the fight by using your 1 min cc ability on what you think is the toughest guy in the group. While he's CCed, be careful when using AOEs. If he takes damage, the CC will break and you're back to having to deal with him.

3) Use your quick stun, interrupt, and knock back to interrupt the cast time and channel abilities of your enemies. This is often critical for defeating the miniboss style enemies you encounter during your main story quest. A lot of enemies throw down a ton of damage with just a few abilities. If you can shut those down, many fights turn from a nightmare to a breeze.

Beyond tactics, gear can can also really help you out. I've found upgrading orange, moddable gear can be much easier than keeping up with the regular pieces. If you hit most of the quests on a planet, you end up with a good handful of commendations. Each planet will have vendors, also found on fleet, that offer mods/armoring/etc for just a few comms. Flashpoints tend to drop orange gear that come with a full set of blue mods. Blue quality gear is the sweet spot for leveling because its not very expensive and provides good stats.

Gearing your companion as a trooper can be a bit awkward because almost all your companions wear trooper gear as well. You can give your companion your hand-me-down gear, but you also want to get them good at level gear as well. If you can get your companion into a solid set of gear, he'll stay up longer to absorb more damage and put out more damage himself as well.

Depends on what you want to do. If you want to be dps and pvp then you might be at a disadvantage with a Commando. They are still playable though if you are good at it and just plan on doing normal WZs and not ranked. They are still good healers in pvp though. But pve wise they are very good at dps so that wouldn't be a problem.

Crafting choice doesn't matter very much. If you don't like armortech just drop it and pick up cybertech or whatever. Since you have all of your companions it won't take very long at all to level up any new craft.

Planet wise it doesn't really matter when or how you do them. You have to finish your class quest to do most of the dailies at end game. But the planet quests are pretty much just there for you to do if you want and for experience. Voss is around level 46 anyway so you aren't to bad... Correlia is next and that's 46-49 I think. And once you finish your class quest on Correlia you can do dailies which will get pretty much get you a couple levels a day if you did them all.

With a commando, spec dps, and have Elara with you. You can just pass gear down to her once you upgrade yourself. I would also make sure you have your 2 heals on your bar, so you can heal yourself as well.

As far as gear, you should have a 5 piece of orange gear with blue 44 mods in them and your weapon should be orange and with blue 44 mods. Try to get that far and try again. I would also spec the right tree and not the middle one. If you could post what gear you have on and how much money you have, we can do our best to help get this guy get to 50. Also your skill rotation would also help.

I'm DPS specced and running with Dorne who I've run with since I left Taris. My gloves, helmet, chest piece and boots are orange. Nothing else is. I'm an armormech and most stuff I make is better than anything I find in the field. I rarely get any drops that are better than what I'm wearing. They are better than what Dorne is wearing sometimes so I pass them on to her.

As for as my specs I went with the center tree. I've had no issues at all so far until I started hitting the upper levels. Once I hit 44/45ish everything became a grind and I'm wondering if this is just because the flaws in my toon are being exposed at the high levels. Not at home right now so I can't pull up the game and my toon on it. I'm at the point where there are bosses I simply can't beat no matter what I do. I got pwned by an elite two levels below me the other day. Twice. Crap like that never happened at all on the lower levels. I'm just wondering if the flaws in this build have finally come up to bite me.

Do not give up at level 46 you will regret it later on! The crew skills are not really a problem you can change them anytime and it does not take long to get them all to 400. You could always try doing some pvp for extra exp, and do every quest you come across. If you just really don't like the class start another that is more suited to you, but don't delete your level 46 you may come back to it some day and find you enjoy it :)

Don't give up on the character yet. Mobs with two silvers or a gold can be challenging on the later planets when you're on your first toon and still learning the core game play. On your first toon, it can be easy to fall behind in gear and really behind on your companion's gear. Part of this can stem from just no knowing you have to keep on top of it. The other part, at least for my first character, can come from letting your crafting profession keep you too broke to buy gear off the gtn.

Some tips for handling mobs. These are good for leveling and fundamental to endgame fp/ops type content

1) Kill weakest to strongest. Standard & weak enemies still tend to hit pretty hard, but are much quicker to take down. If you take them down early, you save yourself a lot of incoming damage

2) If you see a mob with multiple silvers or a gold plus some little guys, open the fight by using your 1 min cc ability on what you think is the toughest guy in the group. While he's CCed, be careful when using AOEs. If he takes damage, the CC will break and you're back to having to deal with him.

3) Use your quick stun, interrupt, and knock back to interrupt the cast time and channel abilities of your enemies. This is often critical for defeating the miniboss style enemies you encounter during your main story quest. A lot of enemies throw down a ton of damage with just a few abilities. If you can shut those down, many fights turn from a nightmare to a breeze.

Beyond tactics, gear can can also really help you out. I've found upgrading orange, moddable gear can be much easier than keeping up with the regular pieces. If you hit most of the quests on a planet, you end up with a good handful of commendations. Each planet will have vendors, also found on fleet, that offer mods/armoring/etc for just a few comms. Flashpoints tend to drop orange gear that come with a full set of blue mods. Blue quality gear is the sweet spot for leveling because its not very expensive and provides good stats.

Gearing your companion as a trooper can be a bit awkward because almost all your companions wear trooper gear as well. You can give your companion your hand-me-down gear, but you also want to get them good at level gear as well. If you can get your companion into a solid set of gear, he'll stay up longer to absorb more damage and put out more damage himself as well.

This isn't the first MMO I've played and I agree with all the tactical advice you give. It's good advice and I've been following it. Mobs don't seem to get me. It's the big bosses and elites that are at my level or one below me that get me. It's the ones where it is you vs them or you vs them and a pair of weaks. I stun them, then take out the weaks. Then heal until I'm at full strength. Then I try to take them. I used to be able to take those guys in long fights which was the norm for me and made sense given their levels. Then it got to the point where I could take them, but just barely. Now I just can't take them. The end the fight at about 10-20% health and I'm dead after popping a medpack and a heroic moment and kiting around. The gear I'm wearing is better than anything I can craft at this point and I can craft stuff that is higher than what I can wear. At the moment I'm broke from armor repairs.

Edit: If I give up on this toon I wouldn't delete him. I'd just set him aside and come back and play him at a later date.

Edited by A_nonymous

I can't believe your character is so far out of wack that he/she can't be fixed because nothing is permanent - talents can be reset and reassigned, crew skills can be changed. At 46 I would just finish up to 50 including your class quests. If you and your companion are in semi-level appropriate gear, you should be ok. I will say as ranged dps, I prefer tank companions to distract mobs and prevent ability push-back/interruption.

There is nothing you can do to a character that can't be fixed, with the exception of picking the "wrong" advanced class. Your choice of AC is permanent. You can reset your skill trees and reallocate those points, you can change up your gear, you can do space missions or flashpoints or warzones for XP, you can go back and fill in missions you have missed, you can unlearn crew skills and pick different ones.

I don't know you or your skill level, but more often than not, when you hear a story like this, all the person really needs to do is learn their class. At lvl 46 on Voss, the only reasons for having a difficult time would be severely underleveled gear (including companion), or just not knowing how to play your class.

Screw it, if you got him up to 45 just finish him out to 50 and then roll another one. You won't lose anything, it's a learning experience... you'll know what you need to do with the next one. As a plus you'll have this one around with different abilities as a fool around toon when you want to change things up a little bit.

I went mercenary with my first BH just because I thought dual wielding would be kind of cool, coming from SWG where it was a pipe dream. Once I got to about 35 I was realizing I should have went power tech, I should have done this and that different, but I finished all the planets with her just to see what else was going to happen so I didn't make more mistakes with another toon. Now I've got a power tech too, and I know better what I'm doing so it was worth it. It's not like grinding in TOR is hard, just a little time consuming.

Edited by bahdasz

I'm DPS specced and running with Dorne who I've run with since I left Taris. My gloves, helmet, chest piece and boots are orange. Nothing else is. I'm an armormech and most stuff I make is better than anything I find in the field. I rarely get any drops that are better than what I'm wearing. They are better than what Dorne is wearing sometimes so I pass them on to her.

As for as my specs I went with the center tree. I've had no issues at all so far until I started hitting the upper levels. Once I hit 44/45ish everything became a grind and I'm wondering if this is just because the flaws in my toon are being exposed at the high levels. Not at home right now so I can't pull up the game and my toon on it. I'm at the point where there are bosses I simply can't beat no matter what I do. I got pwned by an elite two levels below me the other day. Twice. Crap like that never happened at all on the lower levels. I'm just wondering if the flaws in this build have finally come up to bite me.

I have a few comments.

First, unless you are out of slots it does not make sense to delete a character. The crew skills that it has may be well useful down the road and currently to generate revenue.

Second, ask for help. The gaming community is like RL and you will find your share of duds, but on the whole you will find more good and helpful people. My wife and I never ignore a request for help and are more than happy to lend a hend.

I have a 50 Commando leveled with Dorne and it is a decent leveling spec. My guess is that , if you are questing at level, you are having a gear problem. This game is incredibly gear dependent and keeping everything at level in blues (mods or equipment) makes a big difference. Having the right stats on your gear can make a big difference. I shudder when I think of my first toon when I went mainly for endurance and ignored my primary stat.

There may be a l2p issue. People throw that term around as an insult and that is not my intent here. Each character has strengths and weaknesses and best (at least initial) rotation. It could be that you are struggling and have not built a smooth rotation or firmed the concept of how to fight using your character. That is easy to happen if you are under the gun and nothing is coming easy.

I would say that if you like the character and what it is, aside from the survivability problem, stick with it and work out the kinks. I havve one character that I ran to the low 40s at launch that I got stuck on and just gave up as hopeless. He is still there and the time is coming to revist him and bring him to 50. LOL, it is a very different game once you have the experience to understand the class and the fights and the credits and crafting skills to gear up.

PS - As an after thought, there are some fights / mobs that seem much more difficult at any level than the rest of the usual fare. Some of the class quests especially are like that. Don't let that get you down. Again, if you run across a quest or fight like that ask for help.

Edited by asbalana