Thermal Regulators from Jawa

Anariodin

So Devs, why is the only crafting material (other than the ones like Rakata Energy Node) not listed in the Jawa Scrap vendors is Thermal Regulators? The purple grade 9 slicing mat is missing, but the other purple grade 9 crew skill obtainable mats are there, and the blue grade 9 slicing mat is also at its appropriate vendor. Why wouldnt the Thermal Regulator be available if its lower level ones are and its peer grade 9 purples?

Please fix this because the thermals are almost the only ones worth buying.

BW learned something from WoW :eek:.

I have mentioned it many times on the forums: WotLK expansion Frost Lotus material: rare drop so low supply and high demand. Blizzard created a vendor that sold these (and other materials) and the value of Frost Lotus (and the flasks that have frost lotus as a material) crashed to 10% of their original value.

Medical Grade Injectors from Diplomacy are also not available on the Scrap Peddlers. Kind of annoying.

well check better, Medical Grade Injectors from Diplomacy are present on the vendor list.... don't spread wrong info around :rolleyes:

well check better, Medical Grade Injectors from Diplomacy are present on the vendor list.... don't spread wrong info around :rolleyes:

wow really? i looked last night several times. Clearly they are not listed alphabetically, as that is how i was looking.

There is another way to look at this: Thermal Regulators are used to make BiS gear (purple Augments 28)...there are currently no higher "level" augments. The Jawas do not have the rare mats needed to make other BiS items.

Also, for everything other than augments, "better-than-28-in-slot" gear (some of which can be crafted, but using greater-than-level-9 mats) is easily obtainable with Basic comms, so the demand for "level" 28 gear using level-9-mats other than Thermal Regs is lower, hence the lower price for the required level-9-mats.

Furthermore, while CM packs [apparently] contained Thermal Regs before, it was [i assume -- I don't open packs] evenly distributed. Given the GTN price disparity between Thermal Regs and other level-9-mats, if Thermal Regs were available, everybody [all rational actors] would use the new certificates to buy Thermal Regs, and if they actually wanted something else, sell the Thermal Regs and buy more of what they wanted than they would get with a certificate. So, including Thermal Regs on the certificate vendor obviates the new system -- Bioware could have saved the programming effort and just replaced all the mats with Thermal Regulators and called it a day.

Finally, since we are talking about the CM, there is always the risk that allowing people to (essentially) buy the mats needed for BiS augments, that some people would complain that this just another shift towards Pay To Win (I wouldn't make that argument, but I'd be surprised if nobody did).

And a side note: characters can have 14 augmented items, and at 4 Thermal Regs per augment, that means a "maxed" "level 28" character will need 4x14=56 Thermal Regs. A shield/generator-using character with maxed "level 28" gear needs 8 armorings and 8 mods, each using 2 Berylius (the next most expensive level-9-mat), but that's only 16x2=32. So the cost of mats is not only tied to the fact that Thermal Regs are used in BiS gear and other level-9-mats aren't, and that augments can't be acquired other than by crating (or purchase), but that more Thermal Regs are needed per character than any other level-9-mat to max the character out with "level 28" purples.

[Note, in case my terminology was sloppy, I'm only discussing the purple/rare mats, not blue mats.]

Anyway, just thought I'd point out that there is more to the decision whether or not to add Thermal Regs to the Jawa vendors than just noting that Thermal Regs are more expensive.

Edited by eartharioch

Just had another look...it would appear my information was indeed correct. There are definitely no Medical Grade Injectors on the Scrap Peddler Jawa in the cartel bazaar :p

If it isn't an oversight and was indeed planned that TR's not be available, then I'd hazard a guess and say the theory about BiS holds true.

Consider that the three crafting professions that make Augments are dead crafting professions for anything but those augments and the kits and I can see why BW would make this decision.

Drop the price on TRs and Augments would soon follow the price drop themselves. It would destroy any reason for taking those crafting skills.

Hmm correct me if I'm wrong here but aren't the level 50 color crystals also BiS yet can be crafted using mytags that can be obtained from the Jawa dealer?

Obviously mytags are also used for other 28's ( enhancements, hilts, probably everything else but I've not made everything else so wouldn't know ) as well so that ideally makes them a non BiS crafting material also.

Makes you wonder if color crystals should have used something different as opposed to mytags to keep them on par with augments being "lesser" BiS to other mods etc. but they did need to stay true to the whole artifice crafting tree

Also with only 2 color crystals needed per build they aren't as desired as augments but still ... BiS is BiS so they still fly in the face of the thermal regulator BiS concept somewhat.

You would almost think having mytag being usable on both BiS and readily craftable non BiS items would increase their demand and thus up the price. Yet I find they have recently ( past few months ) become one of the cheaper purple crafting mats for artificers anyway ( 4k - 5k each on Harb ) where as Corusca's are going for almost double ( 9K - 10K each on Harb ). Though dye modules may play a part in that in which I believe Corusca's are ideally the highest material needed for crafting dye modules at the moment or do some of the newer ones use mytags also ( like the ones from reputation vendors )?

So yeah, maybe they should instead change Thermal's to be like everything else and have some non BiS gear that it can be used on and then add it to the Jawa vendor also. Yes it would tank the price but why does slicing get to have one of the only materials that can only make a BiS item and nothing else that can actually be gained from a gathering skill. After all you don't see gathering skills for isotope's or mmg's do you. Seems a bit bias towards slicing imo.

Hmm correct me if I'm wrong here but aren't the level 50 color crystals also BiS yet can be crafted using mytags that can be obtained from the Jawa dealer?

Level 50 is BiS for crystals, but some (like plain red) use Level 6 mats; some others (like black-red) do use Mytag crystals, but the difference is in the color, not the stats. Also, unlike augments, every endgame MH and OH comes with a level 50 crystal (unlike augments, which require crafting). And most of the popular ones are CM drops (since they are level 10 but have level 50 stats).

Basically, BW stopped making them progress (statwise) at launch values (there were no higher level crystals added with ROTHC), and they are readily available, so I wouldn't weigh the fact that a few obsolete variants have schematics

that use the level-9 mats very heavily.

I don't think people complained about getting thermal regulators, I think people complained about getting other mats, so this system is designed to alleviate that problem. Like I said, there is no reason to add thermal regulators to the Jawa vendors because it would make the Jawa vendors nothing more than a waste of programming time, since nobody would be likely to trade certs for anything else.

So yeah, maybe they should instead change Thermal's to be like everything else and have some non BiS gear that it can be used on and then add it to the Jawa vendor also..

The way to do that would be to add new (higher-level) augments and make augments drop and be available with comm purchases, and possible restrict the number of items which could have augments. In other words, "unlikely".

Yeah true, they should have ideally followed the same tier pattern as everything else ( crystals too - have high end crystals but using mmg's etc. like everything else ) thus the conceirvable "unfairness" that slicing get's is removed.

Though I note the mission's you can buy are overly expensive at least to reflect the higherp riced TR's but sitll one would assume the regular mission chances of criting via RNG on say a rich mission would be no different to mytags? Thus inequality if that is the case.