Why does it feel like that Jedi Shadow tanks are squishy in pvp?

RaithHarth

Even with full elite war hero gear, it just doesn't add up why I get killed so quickly, so it just me or does the empire have more arsenal at there disposal than we do? The Inquisitors have more stuns than any class, your completely helpless when your stunned to the point of no return, yet you don't see consulars providing that amount of stuns at there disposal, it's almost like our absorb and shields are useless against power/surge/critical attacks because my HP bar drains rather quickly against them.

Shadow tanks could use a boost of something

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even with full elite war hero gear, it just doesn't add up why I get killed so quickly, so it just me or does the empire have more arsenal at there disposal than we do? The Inquisitors have more stuns than any class, your completely helpless when your stunned to the point of no return, yet you don't see consulars providing that amount of stuns at there disposal, it's almost like our absorb and shields are useless against power/surge/critical attacks because my HP bar drains rather quickly against them.

Do you attack when there are five enemy around you, and none of your friends around to help, causing the five enemy to focus you? If you answer yes it might be a L2P issue.

Do you attack when there are five enemy around you, and none of your friends around to help, causing the five enemy to focus you? If you answer yes it might be a L2P issue.

It's understandable when there is five enemies surrounding you and focusing all there effort on one particular player, however that isn't always the case, there have been times when I'm squaring off against a player with full DPS capabilities and he manages to take me down with ease, some of there abilities seem to take a major toll on my HP than others, lets take a bounty hunter's tracer missiles for example or a operatives backstab, those right there deplete my health bar rather rapidly.

It's understandable when there is five enemies surrounding you and focusing all there effort on one particular player, however that isn't always the case, there have been times when I'm squaring off against a player with full DPS capabilities and he manages to take me down with ease, some of there abilities seem to take a major toll on my HP than others, lets take a bounty hunter's tracer missiles for example or a operatives backstab, those right there deplete my health bar rather rapidly.

That is the reason most SIN tanks use DPS gear.

Your defensive rating and shield really only help you against marauders / juggs, and sins backstabs / rail shot etc. White damage.

Tech attacks like tracer missile, blade storm / force scream, smash, flame burst will still take their toll on you.

And you also get a move that negates them for 5 seconds.

Really shadows survivability, if you add in the ability to cloak out and heal up, is far better than any other tank.

Have to agree with what the others are saying. I know my shadow tank felt squishy to me when I started, until I learned to play better. I'm still not great (some say not even good :D), but after learning how to use defensive CDs more effectively I at least feel less squishy to myself now. It's all about using stuns, cloacking, etc. defensively instead of offensively. IMHO of course.

Lol, nice troll. 8/10?

You do realize that Inquisitors and Consulars are mirror classes and so have exactly the same stuns that last exactly the same durations, right?

I have three sets of gear for my shadow. One full tank for huttball, one unlimited power one for 31 0 10 / 2 31 8 and one with a tad less power and crit for when i go balance spec. When I carry the ball in full expertise/survivor gear adjusted for a bit of defence, there are powertechs on TOFN that kill me in 5 seconds tops, with a 5k railshot through deflection.

To answer the question, Shadow tanks are by far the squishiest tanks in PVP at this point in time. Our only defensive ability has been broken for months and nobody cares. I got 4k railshot thru resilience today and that my friends has a trolololol label attached to it.

You're doing it wrong.

30%defense.

45% shield

60% absorb.

1300+ Expertise.

Get pocket healed and it will take a very skilled dps to take you down.

Uhmm ... 'get a pocket healer' ... I am sorry but with a pocket healer it will take a very skilled dps to take you down in any class.

Edited by Leafy_Bug

Lol, nice troll. 8/10?

You do realize that Inquisitors and Consulars are mirror classes and so have exactly the same stuns that last exactly the same durations, right?

Shadows tanks have force stun and force lift (the lift cc only lasts 8 seconds) plus the mind maze used in stealth, how many stuns does the Assassin have I wonder? hmm

Edited by RaithHarth

Gotta say, I'm not in DPS gear and it seems like I'm very hard to kill most of the time. There are a lot of games I die 0 times. I run with about 28.7k hp and around 1100 expertise. 30% defense rating 37% shield and 37% shield absorption unbuffed. The two things you want to be most worried about are HP and expertise. I got the highest hp armorings/mods/enhancements/augments possible for every slot. You also want to make sure that your defense is around 30% while doing this.

-Know when to use defensive abilities.

-Know when to use both taunts otherwise you will shoot yourself in the foot if done wrong.

-Know how to LOS.

-Where are your numbers sitting at ? For example HP, shield absorb, defense chance etc.

-Know when to use CC's. Lock down people who actually do seem to drain your hp.

-Know when to use telekinetic throw for a little bit of self healing.(otherwise it will get stopped and pretty much be a waste)

-Know when to use CC breaker

Not being an a** but test these out 1st. I personally have no issue with tanking and there are plenty of better tanks on my server who are twice as good.

Edited by Rilok_Singz

Why Shadows tank are squishy for tank ? Because all defensive rates are easy to ignore and Shadows rely heavily on it, if not the most of all tanks. At the same time they also have the least damage reduction (not much higher than some DPS specs) because it's supposed to be balanced with self-healing... the same mechanic that is reduced by the Trauma, and drop to zero each time you've been controlled.

And keep in mind that Assassins experience the same concerns.

Edited by Altheran

Shadows tanks have force stun and force lift (the lift cc only lasts 8 seconds) plus the mind maze used in stealth, how many stuns does the Assassin have I wonder? hmm

electrocute, whirlwind and mind trap are the 3 mirrors to the one's you've mentioned.

I've found I get more survivability wearing dps gear and hitting harder, because things die faster. I run 23 1 17.

No thats not all you were curious about since you obviously did not know the classes were mirrored.

I already knew they are mirrored, it just doesn't feel like they are mirrored that's what I'm trying to get at, whenever I'm in a same faction warzone everything feels fine, but when I'm up against the Empire everything is just so overwhelming that my HP can barely hold it together.

Shadows have the equivalent of low slash in infiltration, the equivalent of electrocute(main stun) ,the equivalent of spike(knockdown), mind maze just like assassins and the equivalent of instan whirlwind if specced.

I'm sorry but you have a VERY big L2P issue or you are trolling or you have a massive issue with your brain.

Shadows and assassins are the exact same classes. One is a nice guy,the othe is a bad guy. Other than that, there is no difference with the amount of stuns and other skills.

Shadows have the equivalent of low slash in infiltration, the equivalent of electrocute(main stun) ,the equivalent of spike(knockdown), mind maze just like assassins and the equivalent of instan whirlwind if specced.

I'm sorry but you have a VERY big L2P issue or you are trolling or you have a massive issue with your brain.

Shadows and assassins are the exact same classes. One is a nice guy,the othe is a bad guy. Other than that, there is no difference with the amount of stuns and other skills.

nice guys finish last

you feel squishy because now everyone is rocking augmented WH gear where as before is was mostly BM with a few pieces of wh.... and the fact we cannot mitigate 80% of the dmg done in wz's: force and tech. and is now magnified ten fold by the wh gear surge.

absorb and shield are only useful for pve and NPC's who auto attack, completely useless in pvp. so thats 1-2 stats in every mod/enhancement wasted. on pvp specific armor.

the fact shadow tanks are having to use dps gear cause absorb and shield do nothing in pvp should say it all.

ok yes, i admit i do last a bit longer than pure dps prson... but for the sacrifice of any/all dps, i would expect the tradeoff for survivability to be much greater

Edited by Wookubus

You're feeling squishier on your shadow tank because of the change to resolve, which translates to you being stunned more, which means you're not able to utilize your self healing as often.

Shadows/sins rely on active mitigation to stay alive and with the massive amount of cc in the current game it is more challenging to utilize your active mitigation.

Got to learn to use all those procs and stuff from harness darkenss (whatver the shadow one is called).

I have both a sin and a shadow, my sin is in all tank gear, shadow in all dps gear.

Both are freaking awesome and really fun to play, my sin is often the last man standing and has no problem being out numbered.

You got a self heal and huge damage boosts but it takes practice and an understand of how to set all those up for the max healing and damage outputs.

If you play sin/shadow by just face rolling and button smashing your not going to last very long. Timing is really important.

Just keep at it, maybe take your shadow out to a pve area and practice using your procs. There is definitaly a system with that class

lol nice troll, look at ultimate record, 1.2 mil dmg + 400k protection,

is it squishy? no, the most op class after marauder

Gotta say, I'm not in DPS gear and it seems like I'm very hard to kill most of the time. There are a lot of games I die 0 times. I run with about 28.7k hp and around 1100 expertise. 30% defense rating 37% shield and 37% shield absorption unbuffed. The two things you want to be most worried about are HP and expertise. I got the highest hp armorings/mods/enhancements/augments possible for every slot. You also want to make sure that your defense is around 30% while doing this.

Well there is your problem.

Defensive stats (shield and absorb) are way too low. Even for pvp.

And with only 1100 expertise you're not doing yourself any favors.

I love my Shadow. I feel squishy in Infil spec but that's about it (don't really play balance). In a 23/1/17 build you're almost unstoppable. Managing the defensive CD's is one of the hardest parts to learn for that class but once you do you really avoid a lot of damage. Especially with Spinning Kick available out of stealth for being able to stop Ravage.

A shield is basically useless in PvP. A lot of the big attacks by pass it anyway (Smash, Scream, Project all yellow damage) plus I may be wrong on this but won't white damage attacks that are crits always hit? So a shield isn't really too helpful.

Assassins have force shroud and combat stealth, both need to be considered "defensive" and you obviously have to keep your shield buff up as well. I would argue that Assassins have the "highest ceiling" for a pvp tank class but also the "lowest floor".