Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

4.0 Vanguard Tank Guide

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Roles
4.0 Vanguard Tank Guide

GhOsTPrOz's Avatar


GhOsTPrOz
09.16.2016 , 06:15 PM | #1
Hi there! I originally wrote this guide in early 4.0 for a friend of mine who was developing a new website for swtor guides and wanted it to help his guild learn their classes and get into operations. I figured I may as well post it here as well and try to help others out too.

Note: I don't claim to be a pro or that any of this is the 100% absolute undisputed best stuff ever but its enough to help newer players learn and maybe teach some people a few things they didn't know! Hope you enjoy
4.0 Vanguard Tanking Guide by Zoomz
Spoiler
<Tragic Heroes> Star Forge
<It's A Trap> Darth Malgus
http://tragicheroes.enjin.com/
Free stuff - http://www.swtor.com/r/XsKLPx

trashy_spartan's Avatar


trashy_spartan
09.17.2016 , 07:49 AM | #2
I just skimmed through the guide because the formatting makes it quite difficult to read.
So I'll just quickly point out some errors and I will write a more detailed post later.

- Taunt adds to you 10% (under 3m ~ 4m, I can't remember the exact range) or 30% (above 4m) of the first person in the aggro table.

- Threat in tank stance is twice the dps. Then you need to take into account abilities that generate more than the normal rate.

- Battle focus increases defence chance against all damage by 35%.

GhOsTPrOz's Avatar


GhOsTPrOz
09.17.2016 , 10:30 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by trashy_spartan View Post
I just skimmed through the guide because the formatting makes it quite difficult to read.
So I'll just quickly point out some errors and I will write a more detailed post later.

- Taunt adds to you 10% (under 3m ~ 4m, I can't remember the exact range) or 30% (above 4m) of the first person in the aggro table.

- Threat in tank stance is twice the dps. Then you need to take into account abilities that generate more than the normal rate.

- Battle focus increases defence chance against all damage by 35%.
1. Not sure where you got this info on taunts but I don't think you are right about that if you read the tool tip it is 30% less damage on other players by player enemies but that is for PvP.

2. Let me clarify this. All abilities have a 1 to 1 damage to threat scale. However, with tank stance on this is doubled
if you read the tank stance tool tip it states that your abilities will generate higher aggro. Some abilities like Ion Storm and Energy Blast generate a ton of threat likely on a 1 to 3 scale.

3. Not sure why you felt the need to add that as I clearly stated it right here -

Battle Focus - Increases ranged and tech critical hit chance by 25% for 15 seconds. While in tank spec it will also increases
Defense by 35% and Force Tech Resist chance by 5%.(2 minute cooldown)

As for the formatting, I wrote it in Notepad a long time ago for a friend who wanted a guide of every class written for a site he was making or something. I know the formatting isn't very good but if you can deal with it (and a few grammar errors) there is some very useful information in here. The guide is a little more geared towards newer tanks but then again experienced tanks have generally read a guide at some point.
<Tragic Heroes> Star Forge
<It's A Trap> Darth Malgus
http://tragicheroes.enjin.com/
Free stuff - http://www.swtor.com/r/XsKLPx

AdjeYo's Avatar


AdjeYo
09.17.2016 , 11:03 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by GhOsTPrOz View Post
1. Not sure where you got this info on taunts but I don't think you are right about that if you read the tool tip it is 30% less damage on other players by player enemies but that is for PvP.
No, he is correct. I'm not sure about the exact percentages, but the way taunt works is that it gives you the same amount of aggro as the person who has top aggro plus some percentage (even if you're the one with aggro). It also makes the target attack you for 6 seconds regardless of threath amounts.

trashy_spartan's Avatar


trashy_spartan
09.17.2016 , 11:17 AM | #5
1 - Try on dummy : harpoon + taunt out of the 4m range (first parse) then harpoon + taunt within 4m (second parse).

2 - You said : "Generally it is a 1 to 1 scale for most abilities meaning if you do 1 damage you gain 1 threat." So it can be confusing to new players because you didn't specify that was only true in dps stance.

3 - Battle focus is 35% defence chance against melee/range/tech/force so all damage, not Force Tech Resist chance by 5%. Or in another words, 35% defence against melee/ranged and 35% resist chance against tech/force. You can check it in the character sheet while battle focus is active.

GhOsTPrOz's Avatar


GhOsTPrOz
09.17.2016 , 11:33 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by AdjeYo View Post
No, he is correct. I'm not sure about the exact percentages, but the way taunt works is that it gives you the same amount of aggro as the person who has top aggro plus some percentage (even if you're the one with aggro). It also makes the target attack you for 6 seconds regardless of threath amounts.
I basically said this. He's saying it gives different precentages based on your range to the boss.
<Tragic Heroes> Star Forge
<It's A Trap> Darth Malgus
http://tragicheroes.enjin.com/
Free stuff - http://www.swtor.com/r/XsKLPx

GhOsTPrOz's Avatar


GhOsTPrOz
09.17.2016 , 11:36 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by trashy_spartan View Post
1 - Try on dummy : harpoon + taunt out of the 4m range (first parse) then harpoon + taunt within 4m (second parse).

2 - You said : "Generally it is a 1 to 1 scale for most abilities meaning if you do 1 damage you gain 1 threat." So it can be confusing to new players because you didn't specify that was only true in dps stance.

3 - Battle focus is 35% defence chance against melee/range/tech/force so all damage, not Force Tech Resist chance by 5%. Or in another words, 35% defence against melee/ranged and 35% resist chance against tech/force. You can check it in the character sheet while battle focus is active.
Ok you can't use harpoon less then 10 meters so naturally harpoon + taunt from more then 10 meters is the best opener, I said this if you read it. I cleared up the part that might be confusing for new players and I noticed you are correct on the third point, it used to only be 5% back in the day, I suppose it's been buffed somewhere my bad for not checking.
<Tragic Heroes> Star Forge
<It's A Trap> Darth Malgus
http://tragicheroes.enjin.com/
Free stuff - http://www.swtor.com/r/XsKLPx

trashy_spartan's Avatar


trashy_spartan
09.17.2016 , 01:14 PM | #8
Well, If you want to do a 3 taunts opener, you'll better be at 4m+ if you want to maximise your threat generation.

Now, a bit more in the details of your guide.

Your priority list is a bit lacking. I would say a proper priority list for single target should look like this :
1 - HIB
2 - Stockstrike
3 - Ion storm
4 - Ion pulse
5 - Hammer shot

-In this order, you can maximise your dps/threat.
-Sticky grenade is not worth using on single target because it does less damage than hammer shot and doesn't proc anything.
-Ion storm can be delayed because the ICD is on the proc not on the use of ion storm. So with a bit of luck, you can delayed ion storm and use it twice during your battle focus window. Also Ion storm is procced by any attack not only ion pulse but with 50% chance only.
-Energy blast is not in the list because it's off GCD and should be used on cd.
-Recharge cells should be used on CD and Reserve Powercell should be preferably used with mortar volley.

Now, I would say the ideal opener is something like this :
Harpoon -> HIB + battle focus + shoulder cannon spam -> Stockstrike -> whatever your proc are using the priority list above.

This works only if you have dps/healer precasting dot before the pull. Otherwise, you can do :
Harpoon -> Stockstrike + battle focus + shoulder cannon spam -> HIB

-With this pull, your threat generation looks like that so the 3 taunt opener is almost obsolete.
-If you really really want to maximise your threat, you can switch to tactic, load your 7 shoulder cannon missiles switch back to shield tech then you can use 5 missiles instead 4.
-Battle focus is a good OCD but a meh DCD because is not reliable (too much RNG dependent). So using it like a dps really maximise your dps plus your healers can dps during the first 15s.
-I also like to use riot gas after the end battle focus so you can have a 33s taking-less-damage period.

About gear, I do not have much to say. Although using power mod doesn't shock me, I'm not sure the dps gain is noticeable. Using full dps gear, I do 4k6 dps. The dps gain is real but not stellar.

GhOsTPrOz's Avatar


GhOsTPrOz
09.17.2016 , 02:06 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by trashy_spartan View Post
Well, If you want to do a 3 taunts opener, you'll better be at 4m+ if you want to maximise your threat generation.

Now, a bit more in the details of your guide.

Your priority list is a bit lacking. I would say a proper priority list for single target should look like this :
1 - HIB
2 - Stockstrike
3 - Ion storm
4 - Ion pulse
5 - Hammer shot

-In this order, you can maximise your dps/threat.
-Sticky grenade is not worth using on single target because it does less damage than hammer shot and doesn't proc anything.
-Ion storm can be delayed because the ICD is on the proc not on the use of ion storm. So with a bit of luck, you can delayed ion storm and use it twice during your battle focus window. Also Ion storm is procced by any attack not only ion pulse but with 50% chance only.
-Energy blast is not in the list because it's off GCD and should be used on cd.
-Recharge cells should be used on CD and Reserve Powercell should be preferably used with mortar volley.

Now, I would say the ideal opener is something like this :
Harpoon -> HIB + battle focus + shoulder cannon spam -> Stockstrike -> whatever your proc are using the priority list above.

This works only if you have dps/healer precasting dot before the pull. Otherwise, you can do :
Harpoon -> Stockstrike + battle focus + shoulder cannon spam -> HIB

-With this pull, your threat generation looks like that so the 3 taunt opener is almost obsolete.
-If you really really want to maximise your threat, you can switch to tactic, load your 7 shoulder cannon missiles switch back to shield tech then you can use 5 missiles instead 4.
-Battle focus is a good OCD but a meh DCD because is not reliable (too much RNG dependent). So using it like a dps really maximise your dps plus your healers can dps during the first 15s.
-I also like to use riot gas after the end battle focus so you can have a 33s taking-less-damage period.

About gear, I do not have much to say. Although using power mod doesn't shock me, I'm not sure the dps gain is noticeable. Using full dps gear, I do 4k6 dps. The dps gain is real but not stellar.
I am not going to bother addressing all these points because your being too picky, I made a disclaimer saying this wasn't some pro guide or anything I wrote it in 2 days spending about 4 total hours. Anyway, my priority system was not one for highest threat persay it was more for keeping mitigatory passives up at all times.

As for your opener, if your DPS are even slightly competent they would pull off that in three seconds, best opener is the one I stated which loosely put is harpoon and taunt in the same GCD, Storm, Stockstrike, 1 filler move, are taunt, 3 filler moves one of them being stock strike taunt again. Assuming you use energy blast and ion storm on cool down when available. You can use battle focus as an opener if the fight allows for it.

I know about ion storm proccing to other abilities but ion pulse is the highest threat and highest chance to proc ability. Also I know the trick of using a non proc'd ion storm and occasionally it will proc itself I actually meant to put that in the tips but forgot it.

I will just say this again, this is NOT a pro guide, but I believe it is a pretty good guide to understanding the basics of tanking and vanguard tanking. Please do not nitpick it apart to a pathetic degree. Yes I may be wrong on some things like I said I like using sticky grenade, I realise it does very little damage however I find it makes it more fun and as stated can be useful in several instances such as burst windows or throwing it on a target when you can't do damage to to mechanics like say aberrations on Revan. So one more time, this isn't a pro guide, it's my guide and it's what I do and I've had good sucess with it. Am I the best tank? Heck no, but I believe I have something I can teach to newer tanks and that's what this is all about for me. I'm just some guy who failed math class. Who wrote a guide.
<Tragic Heroes> Star Forge
<It's A Trap> Darth Malgus
http://tragicheroes.enjin.com/
Free stuff - http://www.swtor.com/r/XsKLPx

trashy_spartan's Avatar


trashy_spartan
09.18.2016 , 02:42 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by GhOsTPrOz View Post
As for your opener, if your DPS are even slightly competent they would pull off that in three seconds
I'm sorry to disappoint you but nope, you're wrong. I raid with 7k dps and during my opener, my threat peaks (on dummy) at 13k, so with passive like reflective armor it can be higher. The best dps in AP peaks at 12k, so i'm still generate more threat without taunts. The only time is use the triple taunts openers is in NiM minefields because I alternate between both of them on the probes.

Quote: Originally Posted by GhOsTPrOz View Post
I know about ion storm proccing to other abilities but ion pulse is the highest threat and highest chance to proc ability.
Again, you're wrong. All attacks have a 50% chance. And no, ion pulse doesn't have the highest threat. It's HIB then stockstrike and then ion pulse. You should really check the threat section in parsely.

Quote: Originally Posted by GhOsTPrOz View Post
Also I know the trick of using a non proc'd ion storm and occasionally it will proc itself I actually meant to put that in the tips but forgot it.
I was talking about delaying a procced ion storm so you could use two procced ion storm during a battle focus window.