Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How to reduce ability delay?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Roles
How to reduce ability delay?

Goblin_Lackey
12.04.2015 , 01:58 PM | #11
I knew going in that the APM that I had on the Optimal stats page was going to be higher than possible. Mainly because I decided to deliberately ignore the any possibility of any delays due to input lag or time rounding. Because it affects everything equally and made my life easier, I kept it that way.
But I love it when I find out more information about things I didn't know about.

One thing you might want to think about including in the testing procedure is a time keeping ability. What I mean is that it would be interesting if the the ability action queue was compared against an in game ability that had a multiple parts that had a tick rate that was equivalent to the GCD. For example, using Weaken Mind once every ~18s instead of Disturbance because the Weaken Mind ticks should occur with the same spacing between them as two Disturbances.

I have also been thinking about something similar to this in the back of my mind for a few weeks now as well.
Mainly due to the question:

Where does SWTOR round when it comes to Alacrity (or for things in general)?

I have done some thought experiments to try and determine the best way to generate a dataset that would be useful in determining the answer to this problem.
In the spoiler tag is the experiment procedure that I am thinking about using to test this:
(Note: I haven't run this myself due to both time commitments and lack of motivation to sit around and test)
(Note 2: the parts in italics are the explanations and logic behind each of the parts)

Spoiler

I will eventually get around to testing this, but it will likely wait until I have nothing else to do.
Bant The Fat and Pink.

Co-GM of Psy-Ops on The Harbinger

rainbowunicorns
12.04.2015 , 06:02 PM | #12
I have added sheets for a Trooper. I had to do the testing on the "Gav Daragon" combat dummy, instead of on my ship, as I was unable to hit the operations dummy sufficiently consistently to remain in combat, leading to large gaps when the character stuttered trying to attack it as the combat was being terminated.

Both Trooper (Commando) tests were done similar to the Sage, using zero (0) alacrity rating, with an “Ability Action Queue Window” of 1.0 seconds.
The"rotation" in the rotation version was "Grav Round" sent every 50ms, 200 times, then "Hammer Shot" sent every 50ms, 400 times; this "rotation" drew down energy cells, then allowed them to regenerate, while remaining in combat. For this sheet, I have added an additional column and summary block, which includes only the delay between casts of "Grav Round" (i.e.: a value is only present if the current and previous ability are both "Grav Round"). This new column really needs more data points to be interesting, it just hadn't occurred to me until I was finished testing and making pretty spreadsheets that this would be something I wanted to see.
The "Hammer Shot" spreadsheet is exactly what it sounds like, a whole lot of "Hammer Shot".

What I am starting to get from this is that it may be that instant abilities ("Hammer Shot") suffer less from ability delay than abilities with a cast time of 1 GCD ("Telekinetic Burst" and "Grav Round").

Quote: Originally Posted by Goblin_Lackey View Post
I knew going in that the APM that I had on the Optimal stats page was going to be higher than possible. Mainly because I decided to deliberately ignore the any possibility of any delays due to input lag or time rounding. Because it affects everything equally and made my life easier, I kept it that way.
But I love it when I find out more information about things I didn't know about.
Yep, I understand. To an extent, I understand and accept that casting will probably not be perfect, I was just concerned that the casting I was experiencing was 4%+ longer than advertised, when I had expected something something like a maximum of 1%. I had hoped that there might exist people who had had similar issues, but had found a way to resolve them, but it is appearing that that may not be the case.
. ∑ị▔▔▔▔ị[█)

KeyboardNinja
12.04.2015 , 09:40 PM | #13
I just did some testing with a Sorcerer in Lightning spec. Naked, with prestacked Focal Point (so, 5% alacrity). Average delay was 1.5055s, min was 1.407s and max was 1.572s. Expected value was 1.429s.

So, this is definitely a bug, and it definitely affects all (or at least several) classes.
Computer Programmer. Theory Crafter. Dilettante on The Ebon Hawk.
Tam (shadow tank) Tov-ren (commando healer) Aveo (retired sentinel) Nimri (ruffian scoundrel)
Averith (marksman sniper) Alish (lightning sorcerer) Aresham (vengeance jugg) Effek (pyro pt)

December 13, 2011 to January 30, 2017

dkiinvoker
12.05.2015 , 04:58 AM | #14
I've done may own test where tried to kill 500k dummy with just assault and good old one button smashing. Here is the result http://parsely.io/parser/view/103957/1.
My stats are:
  • about 86 ms ping
  • 8.91% alacrity (845 rating)
This means that my GCD should be 1.3773 s and my APM 43.564. So as expected the APM in the parse is worse (42.8) and what is most interesting the minimal time between activations of the assault is lower than GCD.

About ability queue, how does it work?:
a) you queue abilities and the queue is send to the server and there should be no delays
or
b) you queue abilities but the game allows activation of the next ability only when it recieves information that previous cast/GCD has been finished.

I don't know much about these things but second option would produce delay no matter what (but then again my parse has shown lower than GCD interval between ability activiations).

Ailaria
12.05.2015 , 06:21 AM | #15
This issue is very odd to say the least, sadly I don't really have a solution for you either. One thing I did notice (which I don't see anyone else mention) is that the delay on your Disturbances was extremely consistent. Every time the cast was delayed, it was delayed by almost exactly 100 ms. That could give some clue to what the issue is.

TACeMossie
12.06.2015 , 04:59 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by KeyboardNinja View Post
I think the inquisitor in particular would be very interesting, but the Trooper should also be revealing. I can't decide which scenario I like less: if this is a bug with the whole game, or just with one class.
Oh that bug's been affecting me since 3.1.1 came out. It sucks, cause I got my 204 mainhand in 3.1.1 and didn't notice a DPS increase because of it.
Kwerty/Mossie

Once a guy who wrote guides, now just a guy getting back in
Vanguards/Powertechs 4 lyf

thatguybil
12.06.2015 , 07:07 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by dkiinvoker View Post
I've done may own test where tried to kill 500k dummy with just assault and good old one button smashing. Here is the result http://parsely.io/parser/view/103957/1.
My stats are:
  • about 86 ms ping
  • 8.91% alacrity (845 rating)
This means that my GCD should be 1.3773 s and my APM 43.564. So as expected the APM in the parse is worse (42.8) and what is most interesting the minimal time between activations of the assault is lower than GCD.

About ability queue, how does it work?:
a) you queue abilities and the queue is send to the server and there should be no delays
or
b) you queue abilities but the game allows activation of the next ability only when it recieves information that previous cast/GCD has been finished.

I don't know much about these things but second option would produce delay no matter what (but then again my parse has shown lower than GCD interval between ability activiations).
GS-MM Penetrating blast also takes longer to finish then what the tool tip and alacrity would suggest. Trick shot / follow through seems to not be able to trigger reliable at the end of the penetrating blast (series of shot) channel.

jadjay
12.06.2015 , 11:08 PM | #18
So what IS the proper way to activate skills? Im new to dps and i have noticed my APM is below optimal even though i keybind, never click anything, and i can see the abilitys flash multiple times before the ability activates. I have the action window set to 1 second so there should be loads of time for the ability to que but sometimes i notice little hiccups with some skills especially when going from an instant ability to a channel ability, like the que glitches or lags and causes an animation delay.

So is the proper way mashing the button multiple times until the skill goes off or is it better to hit it a couple times then stop just before you see it go off, then go to the next skill? or should I not be going by the animations at all?

KeyboardNinja
01.14.2016 , 04:41 PM | #19
Bump. People shouldn't forget about this. It makes some disciplines (such as Madness and Pyro) unplayable with an optimal rotation due to the GCD forcibly drifting out of sync with effect durations. It also severely diminishes the output (and playability) of other alacrity-heavy disciplines, such as Lightning, Marksmanship and Bodyguard. It needs to be fixed.
Computer Programmer. Theory Crafter. Dilettante on The Ebon Hawk.
Tam (shadow tank) Tov-ren (commando healer) Aveo (retired sentinel) Nimri (ruffian scoundrel)
Averith (marksman sniper) Alish (lightning sorcerer) Aresham (vengeance jugg) Effek (pyro pt)

December 13, 2011 to January 30, 2017

rainbowunicorns
01.15.2016 , 05:06 PM | #20
It would be nice, especially since my raiding character is a Sage. But at least I know that I am only part of my problem, instead of all of my problem.
. ∑ị▔▔▔▔ị[█)