Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Using more of the GPU graphics card- how?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Using more of the GPU graphics card- how?

doomlordVII
12.24.2011 , 03:15 PM | #11
Yep, the game CANNOT use more than 4096mb (4gb) of ram. Its physically impossible. That might be your TOTAL system ram usage, in which case there is still something wrong. Check for running processes and so on.

As for the CPU, there's little that can be done. The 100% usage is a bit insane, and if its not some other process hogging system resources, you've basically got two options:
1. Overclock like mad (if its a 2nd gen, you could get it to 4.5ghz, 1st gen probably 4.2ghz)
2. Get a new CPU (if its 2nd gen, its LGA 1155 - you can go to an i5 2500k, which is great. 1st gen you could get an i5 or something ).
i7 2600k @ 4.8ghz / GTX 570 sli / 8gb DDR3 2000mhz / OCZ Vertex 2 Raid 0
11-11-11 Crew
Early Access Crew

beetlebomb
12.24.2011 , 03:22 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by bchorn View Post
There's a problem with your system if this game is taking 5GB of ram.

The star wars client is 32bit which means it can't consume more than 3GB of RAM (with a switch added to the startup executable).
Well, I'm looking at it right now and it says 5.1 gigs of ram is being used (I have it in windowed mode). I have my windows 7 turned down to basic so it only uses like .75 of a gig when the game is not running, so it's using over 4 gigs.

Do you guys have TWO processes running when you're playing the game? Because I do and maybe that's why it's able to use that much ram (like using 2.2 gigs of ram for each process).

But it's definitely not a good thing. The game is just barely playable really.

Mannic
12.24.2011 , 03:26 PM | #13
A DX10 or DX11 client would help to alleviate some of the insane CPU usage.

I do wonder if you have a memory-intensive process running the background if you're at 5 gigs. As others have said, TOR can't use more than 4.

beetlebomb
12.24.2011 , 03:34 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Mannic View Post
A DX10 or DX11 client would help to alleviate some of the insane CPU usage.

I do wonder if you have a memory-intensive process running the background if you're at 5 gigs. As others have said, TOR can't use more than 4.
Ok, I guess I lied and my memory is at about 1.4 gig without the game running. But that still means the game is using 3.7 gigs, which seems like an awful lot, when I'm running it and it's stuck at 5.1 gigs.

The other weird thing is after I shut off the program, the cpu stays up at like 40% and the ram stays up at like 3 gigs (it does drop about 2 gigs, but not all of it back to normal), and I end up having to restart the computer if I want to free up those resources.

beetlebomb
12.24.2011 , 03:36 PM | #15
Ok wait a second. My computer just shot up to using 3.87 gig and 25% of the CPU without me even starting the game after a reboot. Maybe I have a virus or something this is really weird.

Ituhata
12.24.2011 , 03:36 PM | #16
For me, Mine uses about 3.7G total (all processes) with TOR running and consumes on average about 40% of my CPU. Its not really a stellar processor, judging by the reviews on the net. Its an AMD Athlon II X4 645.

beetlebomb
12.24.2011 , 03:45 PM | #17
Ok, I figured out where all the CPU power and RAM was going. Apparently windows media player likes to use 2 gigs of ram and 25% of my CPU randomly for it's network service.

Once I figure out how to shut that off completely I should be ok.

Boesmith
12.24.2011 , 03:48 PM | #18
OC you 460 and see if frames go up. Make sure you stay in an area void of peopel so you can notice a rise. If you get nothing, then you know it's the cpu. 100% is more going on than just the game. Check for spyware.
SW:ToR needs so much fixes that they can make an expansion out of it. <Jedi guardian - chuundar>

Gazzzenn
12.24.2011 , 03:51 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by beetlebomb View Post
Ok, I figured out where all the CPU power and RAM was going. Apparently windows media player likes to use 2 gigs of ram and 25% of my CPU randomly for it's network service.

Once I figure out how to shut that off completely I should be ok.
yup it's a common issue, you can end the process but it's trying to update your media library database and probably some other junk, disable those updates from the options menu in media player which may or may not solve the issue.

been a while since i last had to resolve that so i could be off the mark a tad i just can't remember that clearly.

beetlebomb
12.24.2011 , 04:08 PM | #20
Yeah apparently that was the whole problem. Now it just uses 60% of the CPU and a couple gigs of RAM.

That windows media player networking service is totally ridiculous. I disabled it from the services menu and all is good.

Anyway, thanks for the help guys. Game is playing great now. Settings on high and no lag during anything. Woot!

I wonder how many other people with fps problems have the same issue...