Title and teaser trailer revealed for Episode IX

Rebamcfan

Got a chance to watch this about an hour ago, looks phenomenal. The title of the movie is perfect considering it's the last of the saga. Gonna be interesting to see what J.J. has done with this movie. Overall though, the teaser looks like a win to me.

It's seriously seems to me that Rhian Johnson screwed up badly, and this is make up time for that.

That said I anticipate sheer Star wars bananas.

They're going to have everyone believing that Rey is actually a Skywalker.

Then watch for the swerve as she's actually palpatine's granddaughter that palpatine gets to reveal himself to her, which is why she was such a damn natural for the force. the blood of one of the most powerful entities in the force in the starwars universe is her progenitor.

And we probably find out Luke did have a kid somewhere along the way and the movie ends with Rey taking that kid under her wing and him being the first of a new line of Jedi, hence the rise of Skywalker.

And if you're not into movies congratulations I probably just saved you $15.

Just watched the teaser myself and I have to say, I got chills, especially when I saw which characters were coming back. Told my husband that as soon as tickets go on sale, I'm buying them because I wouldn't be surprised if they sold out fast. He's seen every SW movie in theaters (save for Solo as we were both skeptical about it) and now we're going to wrap up the saga with Episode IX. Honestly, can't wait for it!

The teaser was nice and having some of my favorite characters return is great (if somewhat confusing in some cases).

But then I remembered who the director is, how average and derivative his first contribution to the saga was, how much its sequel improved on it, and the utterly disgraceful reaction to that sequel by people who have no right calling themselves Star Wars fans anymore. That sure dampened my enthusiasm.

So I'm extremely skeptical, but still hopeful. Good first impressions, sure, but even what ended up as my least favorite entries in the saga had better first impressions than some of my favorite ones.

I'm not expecting anything near as phenomenal as TLJ, but if it's only one tenth as good as that I think I'll be satisfied.

The teaser was nice and having some of my favorite characters return is great (if somewhat confusing in some cases).

But then I remembered who the director is, how average and derivative his first contribution to the saga was, how much its sequel improved on it, and the utterly disgraceful reaction to that sequel by people who have no right calling themselves Star Wars fans anymore. That sure dampened my enthusiasm.

So I'm extremely skeptical, but still hopeful. Good first impressions, sure, but even what ended up as my least favorite entries in the saga had better first impressions than some of my favorite ones.

I'm not expecting anything near as phenomenal as TLJ, but if it's only one tenth as good as that I think I'll be satisfied.

Allow me to give my larger opinion on this.

Unfortunately, Kathleen Kennedy and certain elements in lucasfilm tried to put politics ahead of the good of the story and with the last Jedi it backfired spectacularly.

Don't be surprised if this last movie is a lot like the first one. Heavenly drawing on nostalgia.

The hiatus they are going to take from making Star wars movies will likely also result in Kathleen Kennedy being terminated as they Purge all the political influences out of lucasfilm.

They will look for their next "George Lucas"

But then I remembered who the director is, how average and derivative his first contribution to the saga was, how much its sequel improved on it, and the utterly disgraceful reaction to that sequel by people who have no right calling themselves Star Wars fans anymore.

Who the hell are you to make such a claim?

If you like TLJ, then good for you, you're one of the lucky ones. To call other people's negative reactions a disgrace and to project your own opinion as to what is and is not a Star Wars fan is completely shameful.

The hiatus they are going to take from making Star wars movies will likely also result in Kathleen Kennedy being terminated as they Purge all the political influences out of lucasfilm.

Unfortunately Disney has swallowed political correctness/sensitivity hook, line and sinker. I would not be that hopeful...

The title...bothers me, honestly, and I wish I could be more excited about the trailer. I hope the title refers to Kylo indirectly as the rise of a new villain but he barely appears to be in the trailer, which is concerning. Last Jedi was so refreshing and really felt like a worthy successor to the franchise, a new direction that could keep the whole universe going for years to come. This movie reminds me a bit too much of Force Awakens, which was really just a nostalgia rehash with little new to offer. If it turns out to be a retcon of everything accomplished in Last Jedi, I was be sorely disappointed. I thought the whole point was that making Rey a "nobody" meant that ANYbody could pick up the mantle of the Jedi and bring them to life again. That you didn't have to be a part of some family dynasty to be a hero, you could be anyone...like even an orphan raised in the desert (sound familiar?)

Really really hope I'm wrong on this one, because I want to love the movie.

Allow me to give my larger opinion on this.

Unfortunately, Kathleen Kennedy and certain elements in lucasfilm tried to put politics ahead of the good of the story and with the last Jedi it backfired spectacularly.

Don't be surprised if this last movie is a lot like the first one. Heavenly drawing on nostalgia.

I doubt they're going to throw KK out just because of politics in new Star Wars films (and what Star Wars films haven't had those in some form?). I mean, I would argue that Star Wars is doing pretty well with her in head, both economically and franchise-wise with all the new things that are coming. And there's one big factor that also speaks for her; she was there when Lucasfilm was founded and she has remained with it ever-since, going through the age of leadership change from George to Disney.

I doubt they're going to throw KK out just because of politics in new Star Wars films (and what Star Wars films haven't had those in some form?). I mean, I would argue that Star Wars is doing pretty well with her in head, both economically and franchise-wise with all the new things that are coming. And there's one big factor that also speaks for her; she was there when Lucasfilm was founded and she has remained with it ever-since, going through the age of leadership change from George to Disney.

Politics doesn't belong in Sci-Fi at all.

How many times must people point this out to those writing and making things. And KK needs to be fired asap until that happens Star Wars is much like Trek at this point. Infested with too much politics that it's not enjoyable.

It's seriously seems to me that Rhian Johnson screwed up badly, and this is make up time for that.

That said I anticipate sheer Star wars bananas.

They're going to have everyone believing that Rey is actually a Skywalker.

Then watch for the swerve as she's actually palpatine's granddaughter that palpatine gets to reveal himself to her, which is why she was such a damn natural for the force. the blood of one of the most powerful entities in the force in the starwars universe is her progenitor.

And we probably find out Luke did have a kid somewhere along the way and the movie ends with Rey taking that kid under her wing and him being the first of a new line of Jedi, hence the rise of Skywalker.

And if you're not into movies congratulations I probably just saved you $15.

Anakin was THE CHOSEN ONE and he had to train. Luke was his kid and he had to train. IT DOESN'T MATTER WHO YOUR FATHER OR MOTHER IS OR HOW STRONG THEY ARE IN FORCE...turd Rey should also train like anyone else and that turd should learn to MAKE HER OWN LIGHTSABER already.

Politics doesn't belong in Sci-Fi at all.

How many times must people point this out to those writing and making things. And KK needs to be fired asap until that happens Star Wars is much like Trek at this point. Infested with too much politics that it's not enjoyable.

It's not really "politics" in these movies, its KK forcing her feminist agenda into the movies at the detriment of everything else. So I get your meaning. No one wants to have some "message" thrown into their face when going to see a Star Wars movie. Unfortunately I don't think this trilogy can be saved. They've killed off Luke and Han, and since Carrie Fisher has passed they only have previously done footage to insert Leia into the episode 9. No producer is going to want to jump in and replace KK now, because if the movie tanks they'll get blamed.

Now we could get surprised and somehow episode 9 isn't the mess that TLJ is, but I doubt it. Either way I'll wait until I can see it for maybe a dollar or for free, or maybe someone loans me the DVD/Blu-Ray when it comes out.

Star Wars has been full of politics since it first started. Taking control of a galactic empire is a political act, and deciding to rebel against it is a political decision. You can't get rid of politics in a story about galactic level conflict.

So I guess the problem isn't that there are political aspects to the movies. That is inevitable. The problem is that some people perceive the depiction of the political aspects do not coincide with their own political views.

Maybe these people prefer depictions of warlord feudalism with plenty of anarchy around the edges, for people like Han and Lando to operate. In other words, situations where might makes right. Such situations make for interesting stories, though in real life they are hell for most people to live in.

Star Wars has been full of politics since it first started. Taking control of a galactic empire is a political act, and deciding to rebel against it is a political decision. You can't get rid of politics in a story about galactic level conflict.

So I guess the problem isn't that there are political aspects to the movies. That is inevitable. The problem is that some people perceive the depiction of the political aspects do not coincide with their own political views.

Maybe these people prefer depictions of warlord feudalism with plenty of anarchy around the edges, for people like Han and Lando to operate. In other words, situations where might makes right. Such situations make for interesting stories, though in real life they are hell for most people to live in.

I think it's pretty clear in this context that "politics" is not referring to political systems or political conflicts.

What people are referring to are contentious social issues being injected into media for no other purpose than virtue signalling and to express their socio-political views to a near-captive audience.

So saying "politics" is just so much faster.

The funny thing is George Lucas confirmed that Palpatine is in fact Anakin's father and that he impregnated Shmi via the force. So technically speaking Anakin, Luke, Leia and Ben are Palpatines as well. If they reveal that Rey is a Palpatine then it all fits the lineage. Edited by TonyTricicolo