Stun Duration, DPS, and Arenas.

Darthanimus

DPS is so high at this time that someone can be killed in the space of a hard stun. This seem so off to me. I will provide an example.

4 sec hard stun on the healer and a team mate is dead. 2nd stun and team mate two is dead. The arena is effectively over.

4 sec hard stun, gets broken, team mate gets heals, 2nd hard stun team mate is dead. arena is effectively over.

The hard stun duration at game launch was 4 seconds, a time when dps was a hell of a lot lower. While dps has increased exponentially, the hard stun duration has not changed at all.

In order to fix this issue and make pvp more about skill, and less about voice coms. How about the length of the hard and soft stuns are cut by 50% to reflect the changes that the game has gone thorough. In addition, a reworking of the resolve mechanic would help a great deal too. Maybe make it based on duration, so an 8 sec soft stun max'es out the resolve bar, while a 2 second stun only partially fills it. I am sure there would be plenty of ideas for a renewed reworking of the resolve function.

Over the years PvP has become strange and less fun, and I think that I have identified the root cause of it. Please consider my ideas.

There are two problems that I see here. If someone can die in 4 seconds then you're doing something horribly wrong. You're not using cooldowns you should be. It also sounds like you're not using the cc breaker correctly. If you're using it on the first stun then of course you're vulnerable to a second one. Two stuns with multiple people attacking you is generally checkmate in most cases. That's totally fine and not supposed to be an encounter you survive. You need to save the cc breaker for the second cc when it puts you at full resolve.

The other thing I see is if you drop the duration of cc you will never kill anybody. At the highest levels of PVP you won't be able to kill someone before a healer will intervene and save them.

You need to anticipate if a double stun is coming and counter it with defensives or peels for your team.

So you want stun durations reduced because you don't know how spreading defensive cooldowns or peels work?

What you're effectively asking for; is for the game to cater to your incompetence. That's not going to happen.

You're just going to have to get better at the game mate.

At least you found the right forum for it, now you've got to ask the right questions rather than make demands.

Edited by Evolixe

I think there was a problem with this when we had the Death Knell set bonus bug on Sins. Now it is reduced with the nerf to the set. Yes if if have two sins on you with hard stun u r dead in five seconds. Sometimes people do not need to be on voice com and just agree what they are going to do to you before game starts.

I still think that Sin, and to a less extent Operative burst is broken. I think a burst should work like Carnage, you create it. But I kinda understand why stealth classes have a burst opener straight away.

Game as balancing goes was best in Vanilla. It is still okay minus some minor exceptions, and people coming from other games say it is pretty balanced.

But I would think that resolve should also work better, and it does sometimes bug for me, with a great help coming from the Double-GCD.

DPS is so high at this time that someone can be killed in the space of a hard stun. This seem so off to me. I will provide an example.

4 sec hard stun on the healer and a team mate is dead. 2nd stun and team mate two is dead. The arena is effectively over.

4 sec hard stun, gets broken, team mate gets heals, 2nd hard stun team mate is dead. arena is effectively over.

The hard stun duration at game launch was 4 seconds, a time when dps was a hell of a lot lower. While dps has increased exponentially, the hard stun duration has not changed at all.

In order to fix this issue and make pvp more about skill, and less about voice coms. How about the length of the hard and soft stuns are cut by 50% to reflect the changes that the game has gone thorough. In addition, a reworking of the resolve mechanic would help a great deal too. Maybe make it based on duration, so an 8 sec soft stun max'es out the resolve bar, while a 2 second stun only partially fills it. I am sure there would be plenty of ideas for a renewed reworking of the resolve function.

Over the years PvP has become strange and less fun, and I think that I have identified the root cause of it. Please consider my ideas.

You shouldn't break stun in arenas especially if your resolve is not full . If you do that and the enemy team is aware and skilled enough, they will stun you again and you're dead. It's basic game rule that could be improved.. but they will never bother with it ever.

In this meta arenas are dominated by "I can vanish 8 times every round" classes like marauders sins and opers and this just makes it very hard for non stealthers . It is the way things are and there's nothing that can be done about it.

Edited by DavidAtkinson

Marauders going from the least to the most stealthy class over 1 tactical is a bit yikes tbh.

But sins Two Cloaks is definitely not doing anyone any favors either.

It surely isn't very fun to be forced to ignore the enemy team and chase their one cooldownless assailant 5+ times in a single game. I've seriously considered moving my minimap to the center of my screen because that's how important it is now

Marauders going from the least to the most stealthy class over 1 tactical is a bit yikes tbh.

But sins Two Cloaks is definitely not doing anyone any favors either.

It surely isn't very fun to be forced to ignore the enemy team and chase their one cooldownless assailant 5+ times in a single game. I've seriously considered moving my minimap to the center of my screen because that's how important it is now

I'd switch out one stealth for an in stealth heal on my Sentinel no problem. As it was without additional stealth and no heals Mara/Sent was on a kill,death and respawn treadmill which made the class pretty unfun without a pocket healer.

Edited by Soljin

TTK is a bit high in group situations and defensive CD(s) are too strong forcing the cooldowns to be too long... DCD(s) would be more interesting if they were a bit less of the deciding factor in a fight and a bit more of a regularly used ability that just assists in good tactics. As it is TTK is super high and if you have more or better DCD(s) off CD you win.

If you get caught in a stun at an inopportune time your dead...Talk it sideways all day its not fun. Not my job to fix it...It's my job to say it's not fun.

Edited by Soljin

If you get caught in a stun at an inopportune time your dead...Talk it sideways all day its not fun. Not my job to fix it...It's my job to say it's not fun.

That's the point.. :rolleyes:

Dying is not fun, more news at 12. Nobody ever dying is even less fun.

TTK is fine, stuns are fine. If you have a problem then take a good hard look in the mirror.

That's the point.. :rolleyes:

Dying is not fun, more news at 12. Nobody ever dying is even less fun.

TTK is fine, stuns are fine. If you have a problem then take a good hard look in the mirror.

You are so arrogant and toxic, it's disgusting.

"anyone that has a different opinion than me needs to l2p"

Most classes don't have two hard stuns. I can't think of any that has two 4s hard stuns. Average CD for a 4s hard stun is about 45s.

Every class has a stun breaker, and a wide variety of defensive cooldown abilities.

It's very rare that a single opponent will be able to kill you in less than 4s.

With that being said, what "balance" do you honestly expect to see in a 2v1 fight? The fight is inherently unbalanced. If we are talking about an even XvX fight, it comes down to team composition, skill, and communication. I think that's kind of the nature of "games" right there. There will always be a winner and a loser.

Better than demanding the game to be changed to cater to my own inaptitude ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Are all discussions about changing the game due to someones "inaptitude", or just the discussions that you don't like?

Seems like you are being snarky because you don't agree (on a forum designed for discussion) yet you offer nothing to the discussion. It's almost like you could have not commented at all and this thread would have been better for it.

Most classes don't have two hard stuns. I can't think of any that has two 4s hard stuns. Average CD for a 4s hard stun is about 45s.

Every class has a stun breaker, and a wide variety of defensive cooldown abilities.

It's very rare that a single opponent will be able to kill you in less than 4s.

With that being said, what "balance" do you honestly expect to see in a 2v1 fight? The fight is inherently unbalanced. If we are talking about an even XvX fight, it comes down to team composition, skill, and communication. I think that's kind of the nature of "games" right there. There will always be a winner and a loser.

I agree you should not be able to tank two DPS trying to vape you... You should on the other hand have a decent opportunity to disengage if you react within a reasonable range...in the current system with CC that's just not going to happen unless someone else is asleep ATK.

Combat in this game is already boring and simplistic due to tab target lock and the overwhelmingly basic class system... Not sure why DCDs are long which limits counter play options especially with a relatively high TTK (Which is fine if counter play options are plentiful).

If you engage a fight and know the outcome before the fight starts by looking at your DCDs... Yeah that's not engaging or fun and has nothing to do with L33T skillz..quite the opposite.

Edited by Soljin

Are all discussions about changing the game due to someones "inaptitude", or just the discussions that you don't like?

Seems like you are being snarky because you don't agree (on a forum designed for discussion) yet you offer nothing to the discussion. It's almost like you could have not commented at all and this thread would have been better for it.

Quite the contrary. There are very good discussions to be had with people that do have well informed opinions

On this subject however, there isn't anything to be said. The suggestion is silly and clearly meant to help a specific set of people only. Even though those people could help themselves by getting informed and the game would be better off for it.

Quite the contrary. There are very good discussions to be had with people that do have well informed opinions

On this subject however, there isn't anything to be said. The suggestion is silly and clearly meant to help a specific set of people only. Even though those people could help themselves by getting informed and the game would be better off for it.

Opinions vary...

This isn't a matter of opinion, this is a matter of fact. Nobody thats any good at PvP will ever ask for a change like this.

The reason for this is because it would become literally impossible to kill people in any thinkable scenario with a healer preset. The problem is that you people don't see it this way because you don't know how to properly set up defensive measures nor what good healers are capable of.

This isn't a matter of opinion, this is a matter of fact. Nobody thats any good at PvP will ever ask for a change like this.

The reason for this is because it would become literally impossible to kill people in any thinkable scenario with a healer preset. The problem is that you people don't see it this way because you don't know how to properly set up defensive measures nor what good healers are capable of.

It's always interesting to see people use phrasing "You People". Everything you type is 100% speculation 100% of the time. Maybe you should not worry about what you don't know, definitely don't make statements based off what you think you know but have no basis for...

You are so certain of 100% speculation it's pretty fun to read...keep it coming, tell me more about my people...