Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Sniper vs others for soloing

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Sniper vs others for soloing

Fuseman
07.09.2014 , 09:28 AM | #1
Am I wasting my time leveling a sniper? Currently level 33 and yesterday I tried doing the bounty hunter daily quest and got my *** kicked of course, as I always do during a hard fight with this class, Kaliyo just gets burned down so fast and after that a sniper doesn't do much good. Kaliyo is useless as a tank since she gets no heals and just isn't tough enough.

I called a friend who plays a Sith Warrior and he almost facerolled the fight even though the boss was leveled up to his level (51). And he just got to 51 so it's not like he's covered in epics or anything. The fight lasted longer for my friend but it didn't matter because his health was fine the whole time whereas on the sniper you only have a short amount of time to get things done or you're dead.

Very disappointed to see the class I picked being so weak while the warrior wasn't even scratched while doing that quest. Also watched him do some quests and he was just mowing through stuff whereas I have to constantly stop and heal up after every 1-2 pulls.

Or am I doing something wrong? Does it get better at higher levels?
I used pretty much all big cooldowns on that boss as I always have to, sigh. Have to use both Unity and Diversion all the time. I logged in today and just logged right back out, couldn't be bothered leveling this character knowing how weak it is.

Bstr
07.09.2014 , 09:47 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Fuseman View Post
the sniper you only have a short amount of time to get things done or you're dead.
Its the same with any DPS spec: you only have a limited amount of time to kill the boss. You kill things faster, but take damage faster than a healer or tank.

Make sure your gear and Kaliyo's is within 5 levels of yourself. Most likely, you are a level 35 with some level 20ish gear due to the 2x XP week.

Sniper was one of the stronger classes for a long time. We are now about average.

If you friend was specced Vengeance, they are one of the strongest specs right now due to multiple buffs in the past few patches.
Bobuster: Sab. Guns. Robcase: Seer Sage Bosha: Def. Guard. ShepardCmd: S.S. Vang.
Bosat'ta: BG Merc. Bophia: Fury Maur. Borbend: Med. Op. Bo'ya: Dark. Sin
<Reformation> Ebon Hawk Server

KarathAnno
07.09.2014 , 01:31 PM | #3
Do you have access to another companion yet (I know they come late for the sniper but I forget how late)?

On my dps characters I will usually run with a healer companion.

On my tank character I'll run with a dps companion for most things and switch to a healer to solo heroics. Past lv 20 or so I only ever use tank companions if I am playing a healer (and even then only rarely) or if I have no other choice.

Bstr
07.09.2014 , 01:47 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by KarathAnno View Post
Do you have access to another companion yet (I know they come late for the sniper but I forget how late)?

On my dps characters I will usually run with a healer companion.

On my tank character I'll run with a dps companion for most things and switch to a healer to solo heroics. Past lv 20 or so I only ever use tank companions if I am playing a healer (and even then only rarely) or if I have no other choice.
Second companion Snipers get is a Melee DPS at the end of Chapter 1. Agents are the longest class to wait until their third companion (counting the ship droid.) They get their healers on the next planet though, but he is the only healer in the game that cannot attack (besides weak standard shots) while healing and cannot heal while attacking.

With 2x XP, he probably does not have a healer companion yet if he is level 33.
Bobuster: Sab. Guns. Robcase: Seer Sage Bosha: Def. Guard. ShepardCmd: S.S. Vang.

Fuseman
07.09.2014 , 05:06 PM | #5
Thanks for the replies

Yes you are correct I've been leveling fast because of 2x XP week and some items are lagging behind a bit. I do try to check the auction house for better items but not finding what I'm looking for yet. So I'm onto adaptive armor and trying to get that going for both.

And correct again I do not have access to the healer companion yet, I just got Vector as my latest companion and he's not what I'm looking for. Kaliyo would be much better if her initial attack had a small HOT included in it.

By the sound of it that healer companion for the sniper isn't all that great though hm..

I might need to re-roll as something else since I enjoy being able to solo as much as possible, so I like the hunter in WoW for example.

Luneward
07.10.2014 , 02:27 AM | #6
The pure dps classes have some issues with soloing. They almost can't be beaten when it comes to clearing difficult mobs off the field, but their anemic defensive cooldowns and lack of reliable self heals often works against them when dealing with tougher elites or champions.

Yours is more of a compound problem, though. It's lower gear, and snipers in particular are some of latest to mature into a full dps rotation - often not reaching spec defining abilities and efficiency talents until mid to late 30s at best. You do have a wide variety of crowd control options, so use those as much as you can. Engage your shield barrier and your dodge when being attacked. Use your knockback and make sure to snare them so it takes them longer to come back at you after that.

None of the companion tanks are particularly durable, unfortunately. A healer is still usually a better companion in most cases unless you are a class that needs to be behind an opponent and benefits from a companion taunt.
Steelwind / Kaillen * The Ebon Hawk

Fuseman
07.10.2014 , 03:18 AM | #7
Yeah I've been using the knockback when mobs get away from Kaliyo and head for me, nice little talent there. Then I snare them to keep them away.

Did have an interesting experience with the knockback in one of my attempts at the bounty boss. I knocked back the adds over a cliff but when they ran back up they had picked up every wildlife mob in their path to come help.. sigh. Now why would the wildlife there jump in with these bounty guys? lol
That's just lazy programming as far as I'm concerned, those mobs should not train for a completely different quest like that.

I'm gona try and upgrade Kaliyo's gear some more, I've been focusing my planetary badges on her to make her a better tank. And I always make sure to upgrade my sniper rifle as well. I figured that would give me the most bang for my buck in dps for me and tanking for her.

A few healing packs that heal both me and my companion are in order I guess, lucky for me my Jedi Shadow makes those Just dislike the idea of needing those when I'm so used to classes being self sufficient for simple questing in other games and not needing consumables to do it.

Would be nice if I could send the shield probe to Kaliyo instead
oh scratch that, at level 42 I get Ballistic Shield which covers both, so maybe things get better as the sniper levels up.

Bstr
07.10.2014 , 06:51 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Fuseman View Post
Yeah I've been using the knockback when mobs get away from Kaliyo and head for me, nice little talent there. Then I snare them to keep them away.
FYI, Cover Pulse has a 5 second root so you do not need to snare the mobs if you do not attack them.

All classes are easily soloable if you have gear appropriate to your level. My Gunslinger was my first character and I was able to solo everything easily after I learned about the power of interrupts. (And Smugglers don't get a healer companion until the end of Hoth.)

chosonman
07.10.2014 , 07:23 AM | #9
Until you get Dr. Lokin you should be using either Vector or Scorpio who are both melee. Vector will throw taunts and pull mobs away from you while Scorpio is more survivable and does better damage. Snipers are the best solo PVE class out there. When you get geared as a level you will pretty much be able to solo all of the Oricon mission even the Heroic +2. Weak? Hardly it's one of the most powerful classes in the game once you learn how to play.
Sun-Sin | Jihyea | Sejong | Jisun
Jung Ma | Ebon Hawk
<Lee Legacy >
Referral - free character transfer

Keypek
07.10.2014 , 07:39 AM | #10
Get Treek at level 10 and cruise on easy mode.
K'mpek/Keypek or some variation
ICE Breaker>Corellian Run>The Shadowlands>Star Forge
FREE play time and loot by clicking>>