Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Tank Gearing Khem Val help please

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Tank Gearing Khem Val help please

Hellhog
07.09.2014 , 04:46 AM | #1
I'm a DPS Assassin and am trying to 140 gear Khem right now for straight tanking. I have no clue how to gear a tank or what is recommended. Right now he uses crappy lvl40-45 gear and it isn't untypical of him to go down on a heroic with a friend of mine while he uses a healer companion.

I plan on buying him an Advanced Guardian Hilt 25 since only Might Hilts are available from the Makeb vendor and all Advanced Guardian Armoring 25. (51 str, 54 end each).

He currently has an Entropic Reaction D-Module earpiece (116, 52 str, 82 end, 32 acc, 24 absorp) and 2x Veracity Nano-Optic Reaction Implants (126, 45 str, 72 end, 40 shield, 27 acc, 60 def)

What I'm unsure of is what mods and enhancements to use. I don't know if I should use purely tanking items or also throw in a few attacking items as well. I don't really need him to do damage, just be able to take a serious beating.

For mods (36 str, 47 end on both), I was looking at the Advanced Elusive 25B (28 def) and Advanced Resilient 25B (28 absorp). For enhancements (51 end, 47 shield on both) I was looking at Advanced Steadfast 25 (10 def) and Advanced Vigilant 25 (10 absorp).

Should I focus on Defense or Absorption? How many of the 9 mods and 7 enhancements should be each? Should I throw in some power or other stat modifications as well?

Thanks!

jedimasterjac
07.09.2014 , 04:49 AM | #2
Do you really need to be that particular in gearing your companion for tanking? I generally just gear them in the comm equipment. I mean, why do you even want to get your Khem Val this well?
Quote: Originally Posted by Grand Master Yoda
We are what they grow beyond. That is the burden of all masters.

Hellhog
07.09.2014 , 05:14 AM | #3
I mean, this is all planetary comm modifications. I have no need for planet comms as much typically for myself. I'm already 140 geared myself from the same vendor. I'd like to increase Khem's survivability. I'm sick of reviving him constantly or fighting a powerful enemy and my friend and I have trouble because Khem goes down too fast.

Ridickilis
07.09.2014 , 08:12 AM | #4
I use shield and absorb mods and enhancements with mainstat armorings/hilt (might for Khem) on all my tank companions. I'll only use defense if absorb isn't available or if it's too much money on the GTN (talking the blue 148 stuff). I have been known to mix in some power/crit/surge on the ear and implants if the tanking one's aren't available or too much money but otherwise I just stick with shield and absorb. Companion tanks also start with 25% shield because the companion tank stance gives +20% shield unlike player character tanks (+15) so I figured it's best to take advantage of that.

Hellhog
07.09.2014 , 03:08 PM | #5
thank you

TACeMossie
07.09.2014 , 11:25 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Hellhog View Post
I'm a DPS Assassin and am trying to 140 gear Khem right now for straight tanking. I have no clue how to gear a tank or what is recommended. Right now he uses crappy lvl40-45 gear and it isn't untypical of him to go down on a heroic with a friend of mine while he uses a healer companion.

I plan on buying him an Advanced Guardian Hilt 25 since only Might Hilts are available from the Makeb vendor and all Advanced Guardian Armoring 25. (51 str, 54 end each).

He currently has an Entropic Reaction D-Module earpiece (116, 52 str, 82 end, 32 acc, 24 absorp) and 2x Veracity Nano-Optic Reaction Implants (126, 45 str, 72 end, 40 shield, 27 acc, 60 def)

What I'm unsure of is what mods and enhancements to use. I don't know if I should use purely tanking items or also throw in a few attacking items as well. I don't really need him to do damage, just be able to take a serious beating.

For mods (36 str, 47 end on both), I was looking at the Advanced Elusive 25B (28 def) and Advanced Resilient 25B (28 absorp). For enhancements (51 end, 47 shield on both) I was looking at Advanced Steadfast 25 (10 def) and Advanced Vigilant 25 (10 absorp).

Should I focus on Defense or Absorption? How many of the 9 mods and 7 enhancements should be each? Should I throw in some power or other stat modifications as well?

Thanks!
As a DPS assassin, I suggest you use Xalek instead. He uses the same gear as your own tank set would use, making it easy to swap to tanking in an emergency.

As for if you dont care about that? Put your old gear on Xalek. The job of a tank companion is to take the damage instead of you, and if they can't hold the aggro, then its pointless using them. You will do more than twice the dps as your companion when in equal gear, so putting Xalek in your old gear will have the threat difference a little more managable.
"But wont they die quickly?"
A ranged tank companion is the third best DPS companion in the game, beaten by melee DPS and HK51. Xalek counts as a ranged tank. You will obliterate all the mobs, and then heal him instantly by hopping on a speeder or rocket bootsing away.

As for heroic missions? Unless you're seriously geared, you'll need a healer companion or to be a healer yourself to solo them.

Though if you Have to have him geared for survivability, go heavy on the endurance front if you dont plan on tanking. Without a healer, the defensive stats wont come into fruition until well after you're companion has died a lot.
Kwerty/Mossie

Once a guy who wrote guides, now just a guy getting back in
Vanguards/Powertechs 4 lyf