AP Tank question

Kontraz

If I was to run a full AP spec with ion cell for PvP, would it be better to run it in dps or tank gear? Obviously the tradeoff would be damage vs survivability, but I'm trying to figure out how much of a tradeoff there will be. If I run in tank gear, will I still be able to put out decent damage? Or would it be best to stick with dps gear and only use ion cell?

If I was to run a full AP spec with ion cell for PvP, would it be better to run it in dps or tank gear? Obviously the tradeoff would be damage vs survivability, but I'm trying to figure out how much of a tradeoff there will be. If I run in tank gear, will I still be able to put out decent damage? Or would it be best to stick with dps gear and only use ion cell?

Hey man, this was a question on the forums a few months ago and I have to definitely say Ion cell for AP is pretty amazing as the TANK in 4 v 4 arenas (still not in any other form of the game). The heat management is atrocious but because of how AP works the damage mitigation and damage output is pretty good in a 4 v 4. You should run in DPS gear with a shield IMO. You should customize your build to suit Ion Gas instead of HEGC for PvP and this is the build I recommend (oil slick is probably going to be needed more than immolate against reasonable opposition). http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301G0hMzZrsrRobRRzGG.3

Sure does work, you gain some DR in trade for your Autocrit Railshot, Immolate and some minor utility. Used to be pretty 'OP' back in the day but it does work pretty well in 4v4's atm. I'd say something like this:

11-33-2

You could switch Rebraced Armor for Combust. 16% Armor Vs 5% Dmg Reduction on affected targets. It may be worth testing it out. Combined with Taunts it could total to 35%.

Go in with 3 stacks of PFT. Retract Blade -> Sticky/Taunt -> Carbonise/Oil Slick/Electro Dart -> Explosive Fuel -> Flamethrower. Shoulder Cannon, Railshot, go to town on them etc. First rounds are a giggle, your more than likely going to be ignored under the assumption your a 'Tank' while they focus Dps/Healers, by the time they realise its too late hehe. It's pretty risk and reward based but when you line those Monkeys up and Grapple the healer into your AoE you truly feel like the King of the BBQ.

Edited by Ajaxduo

This! But i prefer this build:

LINK

I don't even....?

You whent almost entirely up the tank tree, and then promptly didn't take heat blast which is the biggest DR talent available. You also took Prototype cylinders which is garbage for IGC.

You also didn't take shield vents so your heat management is going to be a nightmare. You also didn't take flame engine which is one of the best dps talents in the tank tree.

Sure does work, you gain some DR in trade for your Autocrit Railshot, Immolate and some minor utility. Used to be pretty 'OP' back in the day but it does work pretty well in 4v4's atm. I'd say something like this:

11-33-2

You could switch Rebraced Armor for Combust. 16% Armor Vs 5% Dmg Reduction on affected targets. It may be worth testing it out. Combined with Taunts it could total to 35%.

Go in with 3 stacks of PFT. Retract Blade -> Sticky/Taunt -> Carbonise/Oil Slick/Electro Dart -> Explosive Fuel -> Flamethrower. Shoulder Cannon, Railshot, go to town on them etc. First rounds are a giggle, your more than likely going to be ignored under the assumption your a 'Tank' while they focus Dps/Healers, by the time they realise its too late hehe. It's pretty risk and reward based but when you line those Monkeys up and Grapple the healer into your AoE you truly feel like the King of the BBQ.

Any hybrid should take Energy rebounder as that is one of the most potent defensive talents available. Power loaders is a terrible talent for pvp as it only adds marginal damage. You need to take shield vents for heat management. I am also confused why you didn't take ion overload and neural overload as those are potent utility talents.

I run something like this although my focus is more defensive.

build

The point in ablative upgrades is a spare so it can be put in other areas, I would if your focusing on dps put it in hyper fuel as that would increase the damage delt by your flame burst and flamethrower.

If your really going for dps then the points from combust can go into rail loaders.

Any hybrid should take Energy rebounder as that is one of the most potent defensive talents available. Power loaders is a terrible talent for pvp as it only adds marginal damage. You need to take shield vents for heat management. I am also confused why you didn't take ion overload and neural overload as those are potent utility talents.

I run something like this although my focus is more defensive.

build

The point in ablative upgrades is a spare so it can be put in other areas, I would if your focusing on dps put it in hyper fuel as that would increase the damage delt by your flame burst and flamethrower.

If your really going for dps then the points from combust can go into rail loaders.

Dependant on whether you roll with a Shield vs Gen yes. There are a lot of minor variations of the AP Tank. I only gave a brief one :) to be honest I haven't PvP'ed with it since 2.0 although there were a lot of complaints about AP Tanks in 4v4's. 3 stacks PFT - Grapple/Carbonize - Toast Em'.

• 2 weeks later...