Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The weird people you meet in Group Finder.

BobFredJohn
09.23.2014 , 12:48 PM | #4871
Quote: Originally Posted by Elusive_Thing View Post
Hopefully that's a phase that will pass, because it's impossible to avoid these people if you PUG at all. I PUG a lot, so the laidback attitude does help.
I quite agree. Expecting everyone else to be able to do stuff correctly is rather ignorant. There are idiots out there and, if you want to complete a PUG you are going to have to work around them. However there are levels of stupidity which sometimes leave me open-mouthed. Ill give afew examples:

Depths of mannan with my sniper, the dps merc states they are new, we get to the first boss and I explain tacts for their sake. Now we all know the first boss mechanics are rather obvious (you cant miss a red floor and blue circle around the enemy), but just in case I explain it to the new person with "3 enemies, 2 shields, its self explanatory from there" - that will suffice. Well it does for the merc. However it seems the other 2 (a mara and sorc dps) seem to be new too but didn't say anything. They clearly required more than the above sentence to understand that red floor = bad, blue circle = shielded enemy.

False emperor HM with my 55 sorc healer (this is mentioned earlier in my post about a complete day of god-aweful tanks post #4853). The sin dps states they are new so at the first...boss (is it a boss? the thing on the bridge, seems too easy to be a boss). I explain its pretty much tank and spank with an aggro dump which can be cured with a taunt (I don't know if it aggro dumps, it could just be poor tanking all the groups I have run that with). However it seems I wasn't detailed enough as I never said "when he has a blatantly obvious red circle around him and you health plummets, that would be a good time to move away". I mean come on, getting to lvl 50 and not recognising such a blatant fight mechanic. I am astounded sometimes at just how little knowledge people can pick up during the hours of gameplay required to hit endgame.

Sadly these people have to be tolerated if you want to move up through the tiers of endgame gear.
Teach me not what to think, but how to think

Everybody is entitled to their opinion. People are also entitled to ridicule your opinion if it is BS.

Gardimuer
09.23.2014 , 01:33 PM | #4872
I had a funny run of HM Cademimu with a touchy operative healer.

I started watching him after a while, and I noticed he never used Kolto Probes, not even to top us off when we were traveling between mobs. At one point he complained at the tank, saying "at least give me some time to heal up before chain pulling," to which I snarked "that's what kolto probes are for" and he shot back "I don't have time for that when I'm busy trying to heal all of you at once." And that was frankly confusing, because if he had been putting Kolto probes on all of us to start with the group healing would have been much easier anyway.

Some time after the wookie boss the healer spoke up again saying "guard me" at which I (a Sniper in fully auged 180 gear who had been pulling threat in almost every mob pull) could only say "lol." Luckily the tank ignored him and we kept on rolling.

AbsolutGrndZero
09.23.2014 , 04:00 PM | #4873
Quote: Originally Posted by XaheyaKaal View Post
Last try, the healer tells him to move out of the fire, and the tank replies "it's your job to pull me out, I'm a tank, I don't move".

Healer lets him die and the chat fills with profanities from the tank.
Ah, how entertaining this thread is...
The Babylon Legacy
Harbinger
Racquel, Stancerry, Jennica, Porcelain

ValeGreiger
09.23.2014 , 05:10 PM | #4874
Quote: Originally Posted by AbsolutGrndZero View Post
IKR? I was laughing so hard for a full minute when I read that part.

Ryuku-sama
09.23.2014 , 05:46 PM | #4875
Quote: Originally Posted by AbsolutGrndZero View Post
Popcorn?? *hand you some*
"If it wasn't broken, we shall break it. If it is balanced, we shall beat it until slow and painful death follows. If it is overpowered, it is working as intended." - Bioware 2015

FlameYOL
09.23.2014 , 07:48 PM | #4876
Quote: Originally Posted by Fidelicatessen View Post
Queued up for a HM55 last night on my 'sin tank.

Got into a Hammer Station group and immediately asked if we were doing the bonus. Nobody answered, but we did have to wait around for the healer to load in. During this time, I slapped Guard on the 'sin DPS that was with us (the other was Sorc with a bit lower HP, so I figured I'd start with the melee DPS and move it if needed).

Healer zones in and immediately asks for guard, with 'sin DPS piping up that it should be on the healer. I make a heavy sigh in RL and state that they can either trust that I know how to tank or I can spend a few minutes telling them how guard and agro work.

They refused the tutorial and the healer mentioned how he could heal me through my bad play even without guard. I suggested that they could kick me if they really thought I sucked. I was told to shut up and start killing, so I did.

3rd pull (you know the one with 2 elite droids), CC on left droid was broken and a couple of strongs were left standing until one of the elite droids was down. I quickly typed "DPS kill weak first, plz."

One DPS insisted that they had been, while the other DPS said something along the lines of "don't worry about us, at least we know how to play."

I couldn't resist. I said, "that's ironic, since you want me to Guard the healer." I got votekicked. Reason: RETARDED. Luckily, the votekick system gave me enough time to ignore the DPS and healer combo who had their heads stuck firmly up their nether regions.

Got a queue pop about a half hour later with a group with DPS who also wanted me to guard the healer, but they listened to my explanation and then the healer backed me up. Went on to finish Hammer Station smoothly and without issue.

I'm so tired of trying to teach morons.
I Know Your Pain.
A man can have anything...If he's willing to sacrifice everything

JacksonMo
09.23.2014 , 09:50 PM | #4877
Quote: Originally Posted by Fidelicatessen View Post
Queued up for a HM55 last night on my 'sin tank.

Got into a Hammer Station group and immediately asked if we were doing the bonus. Nobody answered, but we did have to wait around for the healer to load in. During this time, I slapped Guard on the 'sin DPS that was with us (the other was Sorc with a bit lower HP, so I figured I'd start with the melee DPS and move it if needed).

Healer zones in and immediately asks for guard, with 'sin DPS piping up that it should be on the healer. I make a heavy sigh in RL and state that they can either trust that I know how to tank or I can spend a few minutes telling them how guard and agro work.

They refused the tutorial and the healer mentioned how he could heal me through my bad play even without guard. I suggested that they could kick me if they really thought I sucked. I was told to shut up and start killing, so I did.

3rd pull (you know the one with 2 elite droids), CC on left droid was broken and a couple of strongs were left standing until one of the elite droids was down. I quickly typed "DPS kill weak first, plz."

One DPS insisted that they had been, while the other DPS said something along the lines of "don't worry about us, at least we know how to play."

I couldn't resist. I said, "that's ironic, since you want me to Guard the healer." I got votekicked. Reason: RETARDED. Luckily, the votekick system gave me enough time to ignore the DPS and healer combo who had their heads stuck firmly up their nether regions.

Got a queue pop about a half hour later with a group with DPS who also wanted me to guard the healer, but they listened to my explanation and then the healer backed me up. Went on to finish Hammer Station smoothly and without issue.

I'm so tired of trying to teach morons.
So why is it you don't guard the healer? If the DPS aren't pulling mobs away from the healer, and therefore taking agro, then the healer is going to build agro on anything the tank hasn't hit.

Gardimuer
09.23.2014 , 10:35 PM | #4878
Quote: Originally Posted by JacksonMo View Post
So why is it you don't guard the healer? If the DPS aren't pulling mobs away from the healer, and therefore taking agro, then the healer is going to build agro on anything the tank hasn't hit.
Guard is not going to prevent a healer from getting agro on something that hasn't been hit. If the healer is the only thing on the agro table for that target, the % decrease from guard isn't going to have any effect on the situation.

That's why it is the job of the tank to try to get at least one hit on every target in a mob. Usually that one hit is enough to keep it off the healer for a long time, because healers don't generate much threat at all compared to a tank or DPS. When a healer gets agro, 9 times out of 10 it is because the tank was tunnel visioning a single target and not paying attention to the group. Guarding the healer is not a substitute for the tank doing their job.

Fidelicatessen
09.24.2014 , 02:01 AM | #4879
Quote: Originally Posted by Gardimuer View Post
Guard is not going to prevent a healer from getting agro on something that hasn't been hit. If the healer is the only thing on the agro table for that target, the % decrease from guard isn't going to have any effect on the situation.

That's why it is the job of the tank to try to get at least one hit on every target in a mob. Usually that one hit is enough to keep it off the healer for a long time, because healers don't generate much threat at all compared to a tank or DPS. When a healer gets agro, 9 times out of 10 it is because the tank was tunnel visioning a single target and not paying attention to the group. Guarding the healer is not a substitute for the tank doing their job.
Yup, that's correct.

And, in the case that was mentioned, I was holding agro on all the mobs (2 elites and 2 strongs), but the elites were dying first and if the DPS would have just followed kill order both I and the healer would have had an easier time of it.

Holding agro on multiple mobs with a sin tank is laughably easy

vincent_rig
09.24.2014 , 04:06 AM | #4880
I have been reading through this thread for quite some time now, and all I can do is frown my eyebrows... Not because of the stories being told, but rather because of the people who post them, the bad experiences they claim to encounter and how it mostly reflects back to how they expose themselves in group play.

Literally 99% of the problems here can be avoided by how YOU deal with them. I can honestly say I have played hundreds of flashpoints and never ever had a single bad experience, never been kicked or never felt the urge to kick someone myself... Of course I also do encounter wipes or people who do strange things, ignore basic principles or just need a lot of explanation. Some even need the same explanation multiple times and might still get overwhelmed by game mechanics. That still does not make them 'idiots' or whatever the terms I have been reading here.

When I queue for a FP I accept the fact I might be committing myself for over 2 hours, and can be matched with 3 people who have absolutely no clue about strategies, or even heard about 'aggro', 'guard', 'cc', 'threat dump' etc. I accept I will encounter elitists who act superieur above the rest of the group. I accept the fact there are people who will start arguing with the rest of the group about the slightest indifference. It is YOUR responsibility to recognize these situations and deal with them accordingly. You will notice if YOU take the correct responsibility and patience to play, almost every FP can be finished in a fashionable manner.

Just my 2 cents...