Virulence / Dirty Fighting Set Bonuses and Tactical Items

EricMusco

• Dev Post

Hey folks,

Following our Onslaught announcement at SW Celebration we want to start diving into feedback right away. I want to use this thread to talk about Tactical Item effects and Set Bonuses for Virulence and Dirty Fighting Disciplines. Our goal for set bonuses is to introduce new bonuses, and potentially with even new sizes so you can mix and match. Tactical Items are a new item type that is meant to be build defining and most likely to directly impact how an ability works. For inspiration here are two completely made up Chain Lightning Examples:

1. Chain Lightning now does all of its total damage to only one target, and no longer jumps.
  2. Chain Lightning now jumps even more and does additional damage to secondary targets.

That would allow you to take a standard ability and allow it to be modified to fit your playstyle. Please use this thread to brainstorm ideas and make as many recommendations as you would like! For context:

• Tactical Items: These should modify one of your Advanced Class/Discipline abilities to work differently. The goal is for you to use the ability in situations you previously wouldn’t (more often, against specific targets, etc)
  • Set Bonuses: These should be focused on the broader “kind of tools” your class uses, but not specific abilities. Some examples are sets that center around bleeds, force damage, lightning, shields, cover, and so on.

Set bonuses, tacticals, both, let us know what you would like to see. I may not respond frequently in this thread but know that I am going to be compiling everything and sending it over to the team.

-eric

I'd like to see a tactical item that affects two abilities: Corrosive Grenade/Shrap Bomb and Suppressive Fire/Sweeping Blasters. How I see this working is that the Corrosive Grenade would be more powerful (cause more damage on initial impact and more damage per tick and impact a radius at double its standard impact) and Suppressive Fire would have a poison effect like Cull to allow for more damage output for AOE attacks. Real world example: Corruptor Zero fight. I toss a corrosive dart and a corrosive grenade onto a trash mob in the middle. It hits all the targets within a 20 meter radius instead of (I'm making up the original number because I can't remember offhand) 10 meters. The corrosive dart/grenade combo is now melting away the targets at double the damage (dart still at normal damage). Then I lay down suppressive fire with the poison effect from Cull added into Suppressive Fire, and now corrosive dart and corrosive grenade are doing even more damage than before. In addition, in fights like the Hive Queen, I could lay down a Corrosive Dart > Corrosive Grenade > Cull and switch to a Royal Guardian and let the Corrosive Grenade tick at higher damage than before on the Hive Queen while dealing with secondary targets of interest.

Overall, this would put in place an AOE system similar to Corrosive Dart > Corrosive Grenade > Weakening Blast > Cull except for multiple targets for AOE heavy fights, like Corruptor Zero, Hive Queen, etc.

I'd like to see a tactical item that affects two abilities: Corrosive Grenade/Shrap Bomb and Suppressive Fire/Sweeping Blasters. How I see this working is that the Corrosive Grenade would be more powerful (cause more damage on initial impact and more damage per tick and impact a radius at double its standard impact) and Suppressive Fire would have a poison effect like Cull to allow for more damage output for AOE attacks. Real world example: Corruptor Zero fight. I toss a corrosive dart and a corrosive grenade onto a trash mob in the middle. It hits all the targets within a 20 meter radius instead of (I'm making up the original number because I can't remember offhand) 10 meters. The corrosive dart/grenade combo is now melting away the targets at double the damage (dart still at normal damage). Then I lay down suppressive fire with the poison effect from Cull added into Suppressive Fire, and now corrosive dart and corrosive grenade are doing even more damage than before. In addition, in fights like the Hive Queen, I could lay down a Corrosive Dart > Corrosive Grenade > Cull and switch to a Royal Guardian and let the Corrosive Grenade tick at higher damage than before on the Hive Queen while dealing with secondary targets of interest.

Overall, this would put in place an AOE system similar to Corrosive Dart > Corrosive Grenade > Weakening Blast > Cull except for multiple targets for AOE heavy fights, like Corruptor Zero, Hive Queen, etc.

Or maybe something kinda similar to that, but instead suppressive fire acts like every tick also applies weakening blast. So on a target that has both dots, if you suppressive fire that target, for each tick of suppressive fire, you get a 2 ticks of weakening blast on that target because it has both dots.

Or maybe something kinda similar to that, but instead suppressive fire acts like every tick also applies weakening blast. So on a target that has both dots, if you suppressive fire that target, for each tick of suppressive fire, you get a 2 ticks of weakening blast on that target because it has both dots.

Yes, that! I haven't had my morning coffee to properly convey thoughts to words yet, so you better explained what I was trying to say on that. Thank you. :D

Edited by go_rogue

I'd like to see a tactical item that affects two abilities: Corrosive Grenade/Shrap Bomb and Suppressive Fire/Sweeping Blasters.

Are you saying the AOE would work like cull? :eek:

As much as this would be nice, this would be too powerful. Think of the ranked :D

I mostly main Viri and DF DPS these days, though have played all roles over most of the classes in the past.

Id like to see a choice between spreading the DoT on more targets or narrowing it to a few. - But overall the damage total would be the same over the duration.

- Then you could fine-tune your DF/Viri class for certain PvE objectives - such as lots of adds

or narrow the scope for PvP - when you're less likely to have only a few tightly grouped enemy players in one space.

IDK whether these proposals can be flipped depending on what PVP map pops, but If you're gonna mess with what we currently call utilities then you need this to be switchable - at least on a map-by-map basis if not encounter by encounter.

ATM I'm kinda okay with the class and rotation. - don't go messing that up too much. It'd be nice to see some harder solo PVE encounters where you have to go through the full rotation at least a few times..... Since most things melt really easy - especially with a DPS companion in tow.... You rarely get to freecast in PVP so going through several rotations is actually quite a rarity.

Overall though If I'm honest. Fine tuning the balance between classes is always gonna be better than introducing a whole set of new variables - unless you're gonna do balance passes every few weeks to ensure it is working correctly..... Past history suggests otherwise.

Edited by Storm-Cutter

Tactical:

what about removing the weakened state of the DoT (Corrosive dart, and Grenade) but having the non weakened DoT do double damage. This would cause us to refresh the DoT's more frequently, This could cause a slight rotation change.

Very exciting!

- Some kind of effect that backloads the damage of our two DOTs would be a very good idea. Reduce the damage across the board by something like 25% but each tick increases the damage dealt by 10-15%.

- Reduce the duration of your DOTs by 33% but increase the damage by 33%, for solo-oriented players.

- Reduces the duration of Weakening Shot or increases the cooldown, but also increases the bonus damage it grants.

- A piece that lets your Orbital Strike apply your DOTs, so you can use the cooldown with target switching or just make fight openings a little bit slimmer. Or a Cull-style bonus damage effect for Orbital Strike?

- Replace your Corrosive Grenade with Corrosive Mine. Exactly the same skill, but if it doesn't deal any damage on anything at the target area, it creates a mine instead.

Edited by LilSaihah

Are you saying the AOE would work like cull? :eek:

As much as this would be nice, this would be too powerful. Think of the ranked :D

They could make the tactical item be unusable for PVP so it wouldn't make a Virulence sniper OP with AOE. In fact, I approve of my idea being a PVE-only tactical item. I'd want something else entirely different taking my sniper into a warzone. But what that is, I'll leave that for the more PVP-oriented players to come up with.

• 2 weeks later...

Please increase the impact radius of corrosive grenade to 8m to allow for better dot spreading and so the increased radius fits better with all of our other AoE which is 8m.

Considering this spec is all about getting the most out of your Cull, everything I can think of benefits Cull.

Tactical Items:

When Weakening Blast is on the target, all critical DoT damage for Cull is increased by X%.

Halves the Duration of the Weakening Blast on the target, but Cull has no cooldown while the target is affected by Weakening Blast. (Would be a bit more interesting than the current 3 Cull rotation. Of course, a variation of this could exist Where Weakening blast lasts the same amount of time on the target but has a longer cooldown. Shooting off multiple Culls in a row sounds fun)

Set Bonus:

2pc: Laze Target now has 2 charges and lasts twice as long. (current 6pc)

4pc: Activating Cull increases all DoT damage by X% for the duration of Cull.

6pc: Activating Target acquired instantly restores 15 energy and immediately finishes the cooldown on Cull. In addition the cooldown of your next Cull is reduced by 3 seconds (the channel duration so it falls back into place of your current rotation). Currently you have: DoTs > Weakening Blast > (Target Acquired (if you choose to use it here)) Cull > Lethal Shot > Lethal Shot > Takedown > Crouch + instant Lethal Shot > Target Acquired (if you didn't use it prior to the first Cull) + Cull > Series of Shots > Takedown > etc. This change would allow for: DoTs > Weakening Blast > Cull > Target Acquired + Cull > Takedown > Crouch + instant Lethal Shot > Cull > etc. Hopefully that explains what I'm trying to get at better.)

Link to Main Forum Post with Google Doc of Failure's Set Bonus and Tactical Item suggestions

VIRULENCE/DIRTY FIGHTING

Tactical Suggestions:

• Item which allows corrosive grenade to be thrown as a ground target aoe and increases radius - makes it easier to spread to more targets
  • Suppressive fire now deals 20% damage and causes all dots to tick every second
  • Orbital is now a single target orbital strike and does 2% increased damage for each poison effect on the target.
    • Orbital is now a 1.5s cast. No energy change.

Set Bonus:

• 2 set - Laze target makes the dot ticks under you next cull auto criticals.
  • 4 set - Each damage tick of Series of Shots grants [rp name]. [rp name] increases the damage of your next Lethal shot by 10%
    • 4 total energy

[*]6 set - When Takedown affects a target under Weakening Blast, it extends the duration of Weakening Blast by 1.5s

• 1 month later...

I had some Tactical Item ideas for Dirty Fighting/Virulence (My favorite and most played class!)

- Disarm/Neutralize - Takedown/Quickdraw now interrupt the target.

- Covering Fire - Speedshot/Series of Shots now trigger DOT damage like Woundingshots/Cull.

- Ditching the Payload/Rest of the Garbage - Using XS Flyby/Orbital Strike now apply an additional, completely random poison/bleed/chill/flame DOT to the target.

- Highly-Illegal Mods/Spotter - Illegal Mods/Target Acquired's cooldown is 60 seconds, and its armor penetration is increased from 15% to 25%.

- Plan B - Can now use Hightail it/Covered Escape twice.

- Cheater/Plan C - After channeling Recuperate the user gains two charges of Escape.

- Dirty Draw/Centre Masse - Quickdraw/Takedown now apply an additional 10 second bleed/poison DOT on use.

- Counting Cards/Diligence - Bag of Tricks/Imperial Preparation now also cools down Smugglers Luck/Laze Target and Illegal Mods/Target Acquired.

- Bang for your Buck/Prototype Munitions - Shrap Bomb/Corrosive Grenade have an increased AOE and also knock down weaker mobs like the Thermal Grenade/Fragmentation Grenade.

- Pulse Grenade - Converts the Thermal Grenade/Fragmentation Grenade to a pulse grenade, knocking all targets around it like the users Cover Pulse.

- Cheap Shot/Poison Blade - Below the Belt/Maim now stun for an additional second as well as applying a 10 second bleed/poison DOT.

- Revenge/Follow Through - Hemorrhaging Blast/Weakening Blast now reapply all DOT to the target.

- Armor Blasting- Hemorrhaging Blast/Weakening Blast now increase all blaster damage received by 5%.

- Sandman/EMP - Flash Grenade/Bang now CCs mobs without initiating combat, allowing them to be passed.

- Walk It Off/Anti Venom - Surrender/Countermeasures now cleanses the user of ALL cleansable effects.

- Luck of the Draw/Ballistic Support - Rather than dropping a shield, converts the Scrambler/Ballistic Field to a group/raid buff increasing the groups Power rating.

• 3 weeks later...
I had some Tactical Item ideas for Dirty Fighting/Virulence (My favorite and most played class!)

- Disarm/Neutralize - Takedown/Quickdraw now interrupt the target.

- Covering Fire - Speedshot/Series of Shots now trigger DOT damage like Woundingshots/Cull.

- Ditching the Payload/Rest of the Garbage - Using XS Flyby/Orbital Strike now apply an additional, completely random poison/bleed/chill/flame DOT to the target.

- Highly-Illegal Mods/Spotter - Illegal Mods/Target Acquired's cooldown is 60 seconds, and its armor penetration is increased from 15% to 25%.

- Plan B - Can now use Hightail it/Covered Escape twice.

- Cheater/Plan C - After channeling Recuperate the user gains two charges of Escape.

- Dirty Draw/Centre Masse - Quickdraw/Takedown now apply an additional 10 second bleed/poison DOT on use.

- Counting Cards/Diligence - Bag of Tricks/Imperial Preparation now also cools down Smugglers Luck/Laze Target and Illegal Mods/Target Acquired.

- Bang for your Buck/Prototype Munitions - Shrap Bomb/Corrosive Grenade have an increased AOE and also knock down weaker mobs like the Thermal Grenade/Fragmentation Grenade.

- Pulse Grenade - Converts the Thermal Grenade/Fragmentation Grenade to a pulse grenade, knocking all targets around it like the users Cover Pulse.

- Cheap Shot/Poison Blade - Below the Belt/Maim now stun for an additional second as well as applying a 10 second bleed/poison DOT.

- Revenge/Follow Through - Hemorrhaging Blast/Weakening Blast now reapply all DOT to the target.

- Armor Blasting- Hemorrhaging Blast/Weakening Blast now increase all blaster damage received by 5%.

- Sandman/EMP - Flash Grenade/Bang now CCs mobs without initiating combat, allowing them to be passed.

- Walk It Off/Anti Venom - Surrender/Countermeasures now cleanses the user of ALL cleansable effects.

- Luck of the Draw/Ballistic Support - Rather than dropping a shield, converts the Scrambler/Ballistic Field to a group/raid buff increasing the groups Power rating.

Had another idea for a Tac item.

Sharing The Love/Spreading The Disease - Shatter shot/Flourish Shot is now spread to all adjacent targets with the Corrosive Grenade/Shrap Bomb