Gunships

Mazind

Gunships everywhere. Its disgusting. 70% of teams fly on gunships for easy kills. This gameplay boring and frustrating for other players. How devs working on this problem? If they working, ofcourse.

,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.::~==:    much snipe.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,..,.,..,,.,.,.,..,,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,..,.,.
,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,:==,:=?+,, .,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,..,.,..,,.,.,.,..,,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,..,.,..,,.,.,.,..,,.,.
,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,=+=,:++=,...,.,.,.,.,.,.,..,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,..,very bypass,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.
,.,.,.such barrel roll.,..,.,.,.,.,.,:==+?~,:~~,..,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,..,.,..,,.,.,.,..,,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,..,.,..,,.,.,.,.
,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,~~=~=++:~:=:...,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,..,.,..,,.,.,.,..,,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,..,.,..,,
,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,+~:+====~,~,:=,.....,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.fire at my distortion field.,.,.,.,.,.,..,.,
,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,=,~=====?+,:~~=:....,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,..,.,..,,.,.,.,..,,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,
,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,+?I=+?++==+?~,:~?~::,.........................,..,:::~:,,...,:::::....:.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,
,.,.,.,.very 1 shot.,.,................~?????~~~==+=I77I?+~:,.,.,..,,.................,..,.,..,::+??+++=~:::~...:
,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,..............,~???=~~~+++??IIII~:~.:.:.,.,.,.:.:.:.:.:..:.:.,.,.,,~=~:=??~~:~++::..:
,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.....................,.,.:~,,:+I??=:+?+??+=?II:+I++===~~=~:~~~=,.:.:.,.=II?++=,.:
,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.so ion,.,.,,.................,::,,~+?I??+=??+==~=??,:++I7I?+?77I??~~,..,.:....,+II?+~~~,:
,.,.,.,.:.:.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.............................,.:.,.,.,+????=??+~..~.+~+??=~=~=?777777I????=:~++==7I::::
,.,.,.,.==~....................................,::,,+I?===II7II?=~...:...:.......,..+?~.:..,...:.:.II??IIIII??????==+:,,:::.,.,
,....~===,.................................:.:::++???+~~+?IIIII=~~III+=:~,~+?7I?II??IIIIIIII?IIIIII?+??~:~:.,:...,.,.,.,
,...,~===,.................................::,~??I+I??==++==~?III?=+++=+??7IIII7I??IIIIII?+?+~~~::::.,.,.,.,.,.,.,
,...:==+~..............................::,,+?IIII++I?=~~=?77III77III+++==~?IIIIII??IIIII+??===~.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,
,.,.===+=:......................,+::,?+?IIIIIIII?IIII?=~I?+?IIIII?+~:.,...~IIIIIII?+?+,~~,..,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,..,.,..,,.,.,.
,.~=+=+~~:.................,+==~=+?IIIIIIIIIII??IIII?+++?III777:.,:.=????:..,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,..,.,..,,.,.,.,..,,.,.,
,~=+=++?+:,............===~~I?IIIIIIIIII?+???IIII?II??777III:...,:,=+=,..................:.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,..,.,..,,.,
:====??+++=~,......+=~~?I??IIIIIIIIIIII?+?I??IIIIII+??I7I,.,::,...................:.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,..,.,..,,.,.,.,..,,
:=+==+===??+?=~~=~?II++?IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII?++?II7I+~::.........................:.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,..,.,..,,.,.,.,..,,.
,=+=+=+=~::~::::=~??++++IIII????IIII??++????=:,    1760 damage.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,..,.,..,,.,.,.,..,,.,.
,~==+++~~~~~~===I??+++++??IIIIIII?????II+=:,...................................:.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,..,.,..,,.,.,
.,~=+~,:????????++++??IIII??+++II?=~,..........................................:.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,..,.,..,,.,.,.,..,,
....:==,?I?????+=+=+III???II?+~:,................................................:.,.,.,.,.such numbers,.,.,.,..,,.,.
...........:~~=??+=~=+??=~~II+~,.......................................................:.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,..,.,..,,.,.,.,..,
......,.:==+~=?77=:,~=~:...........................................................:.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,..,.,..,,.,.,.,..,,.,.
.........:~==~+I+,.,,,~~,.....................come chase to capital ship.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,..,.,..,,.,.,.,..,,.,..,.,.,.
..........:~~+=:,:::~:~:............................................................:.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,..,.,..,,.,.,.,..,,.,.,.,.,.,.,.
..........,=~:~:::,::~..............................................................:.,.WOW.,.,..,.,..,,.,.,.,..,,.,..,.,.,.,.,.,
.................:~~=~~:................................................................:.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,..,.,..,,.,.,.,..,,.,.,.,.,
...........,,..................................................................:.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,..,.,..,,.,.,.,..,,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,

It's common for new players to come and complain about gunships and/or bombers. Hop on a battle scout if you have some gripe against gunships.

You'd expect every team to run at least one gunship. There's only four classes of ships, after all, and three of them are good. If your enemy is just a giant ball of gunships, a mix of gunships and scouts will destroy them.

Gunships everywhere. Its disgusting. 70% of teams fly on gunships for easy kills. This gameplay boring and frustrating for other players. How devs working on this problem? If they working, ofcourse.

what server you on?on Pot5 (At least when I'm around) there are not that many gunships, at most there are 4, total no where near 70%. and most of them are meh at best, our battlescouts end them, assuming i don't snipe them down first.

I think i was ever in.....3 Gunship-fest matches

Good thing for me really, I'm actually really damn good at evading all but the best of scouts (Zuchi, Hydra and Yallia are usually the only ones i have to worry about) so other (Good) Gunships are what i worry most about.

I don't think so. If the enemy has the coordination to switch to gunships, your team can have the coordination to switch to a natural counter. I don't see one as easier than the other- in fact, getting a full team of good gunships (or ANY single ship type) is generally harder than getting a team that has some good gunships and some good scouts.

When we see coordinated teams, they don't become giant gunship balls and stay that way. If it was the most effective strat, we'd see it. Instead, we don't.

I don't think so. If the enemy has the coordination to switch to gunships, your team can have the coordination to switch to a natural counter. I don't see one as easier than the other- in fact, getting a full team of good gunships (or ANY single ship type) is generally harder than getting a team that has some good gunships and some good scouts.

When we see coordinated teams, they don't become giant gunship balls and stay that way. If it was the most effective strat, we'd see it. Instead, we don't.

Not every team is a premade and even less pug teams are coordinated. A gunship ball against a team with some pilots of average skill or below is absolutely devastating. Mainly because there are always some pilots trying to fly straight into a gunship ball without having the proper skill and/or equipment, also they do it alone because they don't coordinate. When there are mostly average pilots on both teams and one team has acces to and uses more gunships, then the gunship ball will very likely win (edit: in tdm).

Edited by Danalon

Mate I am primarily a gunship pilot. Do you want to know how many times I have been taken out by scouts ..hundreds of times. If gunships are bothering you that much just tough it out a bit and get a flshfire/sting as a battle scout. With bursts and clusters you can blow any gunship up if u have some skill.

Those ships are excellent counters to GS I speak from experience.

-Sesecrex

(Shadowlands)

Clawbirds !!

If the opposition is made up of entirely gunships and bombers, camping on or very near our spawn point(s), then I can understand the frustration (not pleasant the few times I've encountered this). Heck, I've been 1-shotted when I first started flying a stock scout, but that wasn't taken as discouragement.

Rather than complain about it, I find it better to share counters to them. First off, remember that a sniping gunship gives off a tell-tale 'glow' when they power up their weapon to fire. That should be a queue to find some cover or maneuver away, while constantly changing direction.

As a primary scout and strike fighter pilot, my favorite situation is to know that I'm being targeted (I see a GS with my ship as their target), and lead them on a frustrating tempo of gaining then losing line of sight on me. While behind cover, I can tell the exact moment they give up on me, and change target. That is the signal to immediately boost at them, and lock-on. I notice that oftentimes they ignore the lengthy lock, in favor of maintaining a powered-up snipe on something else. By the time they eat my proton/thermite torpedo whole, I'm already on them with a barrage of blaster fire.

If I happen to be in a Flashfire with cluster missiles instead, a GS can be relentlessly harassed until it explodes (sometimes they do it themselves by purposefully crashing, which is amusing). Targeting Telemetry seems to apply to the secondary weapon, as I've seen them crit on some hits too. I usually couple this with Bypass, for quick bursts that can burn through their shields even faster. Used this tactic on lumbering bombers too, but their mines can be a pain if not avoided well enough.

See, I despise gunships as much as the next guy who had bad experiences when starting out against them, but you can turn it around with counters of your own :D

,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.::~==:    much snipe.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,..,.,..,,.,.,.,..,,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,..,.,.
,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,:==,:=?+,, .,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,..,.,..,,.,.,.,..,,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,..,.,..,,.,.,.,..,,.,.
,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,=+=,:++=,...,.,.,.,.,.,.,..,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,..,very bypass,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.
,.,.,.such barrel roll.,..,.,.,.,.,.,:==+?~,:~~,..,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,..,.,..,,.,.,.,..,,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,..,.,..,,.,.,.,.
,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,~~=~=++:~:=:...,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,..,.,..,,.,.,.,..,,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,..,.,..,,
,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,+~:+====~,~,:=,.....,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.fire at my distortion field.,.,.,.,.,.,..,.,
,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,=,~=====?+,:~~=:....,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,..,.,..,,.,.,.,..,,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,
,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,+?I=+?++==+?~,:~?~::,.........................,..,:::~:,,...,:::::....:.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,
,.,.,.,.very 1 shot.,.,................~?????~~~==+=I77I?+~:,.,.,..,,.................,..,.,..,::+??+++=~:::~...:
,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,..............,~???=~~~+++??IIII~:~.:.:.,.,.,.:.:.:.:.:..:.:.,.,.,,~=~:=??~~:~++::..:
,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.....................,.,.:~,,:+I??=:+?+??+=?II:+I++===~~=~:~~~=,.:.:.,.=II?++=,.:
,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.so ion,.,.,,.................,::,,~+?I??+=??+==~=??,:++I7I?+?77I??~~,..,.:....,+II?+~~~,:
,.,.,.,.:.:.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.............................,.:.,.,.,+????=??+~..~.+~+??=~=~=?777777I????=:~++==7I::::
,.,.,.,.==~....................................,::,,+I?===II7II?=~...:...:.......,..+?~.:..,...:.:.II??IIIII??????==+:,,:::.,.,
,....~===,.................................:.:::++???+~~+?IIIII=~~III+=:~,~+?7I?II??IIIIIIII?IIIIII?+??~:~:.,:...,.,.,.,
,...,~===,.................................::,~??I+I??==++==~?III?=+++=+??7IIII7I??IIIIII?+?+~~~::::.,.,.,.,.,.,.,
,...:==+~..............................::,,+?IIII++I?=~~=?77III77III+++==~?IIIIII??IIIII+??===~.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,
,.,.===+=:......................,+::,?+?IIIIIIII?IIII?=~I?+?IIIII?+~:.,...~IIIIIII?+?+,~~,..,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,..,.,..,,.,.,.
,.~=+=+~~:.................,+==~=+?IIIIIIIIIII??IIII?+++?III777:.,:.=????:..,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,..,.,..,,.,.,.,..,,.,.,
,~=+=++?+:,............===~~I?IIIIIIIIII?+???IIII?II??777III:...,:,=+=,..................:.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,..,.,..,,.,
:====??+++=~,......+=~~?I??IIIIIIIIIIII?+?I??IIIIII+??I7I,.,::,...................:.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,..,.,..,,.,.,.,..,,
:=+==+===??+?=~~=~?II++?IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII?++?II7I+~::.........................:.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,..,.,..,,.,.,.,..,,.
,=+=+=+=~::~::::=~??++++IIII????IIII??++????=:,    1760 damage.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,..,.,..,,.,.,.,..,,.,.
,~==+++~~~~~~===I??+++++??IIIIIII?????II+=:,...................................:.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,..,.,..,,.,.,
.,~=+~,:????????++++??IIII??+++II?=~,..........................................:.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,..,.,..,,.,.,.,..,,
....:==,?I?????+=+=+III???II?+~:,................................................:.,.,.,.,.such numbers,.,.,.,..,,.,.
...........:~~=??+=~=+??=~~II+~,.......................................................:.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,..,.,..,,.,.,.,..,
......,.:==+~=?77=:,~=~:...........................................................:.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,..,.,..,,.,.,.,..,,.,.
.........:~==~+I+,.,,,~~,.....................come chase to capital ship.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,..,.,..,,.,.,.,..,,.,..,.,.,.
..........:~~+=:,:::~:~:............................................................:.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,..,.,..,,.,.,.,..,,.,.,.,.,.,.,.
..........,=~:~:::,::~..............................................................:.,.WOW.,.,..,.,..,,.,.,.,..,,.,..,.,.,.,.,.,
.................:~~=~~:................................................................:.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,..,.,..,,.,.,.,..,,.,.,.,.,
...........,,..................................................................:.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,..,.,..,,.,.,.,..,,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,

This honestly might be the most amazing thing I've seen in the last 2 hours.

As a primary scout and strike fighter pilot, my favorite situation is to know that I'm being targeted (I see a GS with my ship as their target), and lead them on a frustrating tempo of gaining then losing line of sight on me. While behind cover, I can tell the exact moment they give up on me, and change target. That is the signal to immediately boost at them, and lock-on. I notice that oftentimes they ignore the lengthy lock, in favor of maintaining a powered-up snipe on something else. By the time they eat my proton/thermite torpedo whole, I'm already on them with a barrage of blaster fire.

Be careful with that, I see this happen to me plenty enough but they can just be switching targets and rotating slightly while having the camera still pointing at you, depending on the distance, ready to shoot you down or bait you into other GS firing squads

I personally love doing that, but i don't see many scouts actually doing this so i don't get to use it often

I've played GSF since the beginning but stopped recently because gunships.

The class is so incredibly badly designed that I cannot fathom how ANYONE can defend it. It's laughable. Note, I did not say unbalanced. I said badly designed.

When you join into a GSF match and people on your team say "choose a gunship or we will lose" then that should probably set off some sort of red flag.

Also, just to note, I stopped playing GSF not out of frustration for losing against gunships. Combating them really isn't that hard to do as long as you have support and are handy with a scout. No, I stopped playing GSF out of boredom.

When I think of Star Wars space combat, I think of exciting dogfighting in space. And, to be fair, that's how it was back at launch and the few months that followed. But now, it's "hide behind a rock for 20 minutes hoping the enemy will come into range." Who the hell finds that to be enjoyable? It's a waste of time and not worth playing.

The only way to fix GSF is to completely redesign not only gunships, but any long-range precision weapon. IE completely remove railguns ENTIRELY from the game mode. Gunships should be long range artillery, not snipers. They should boast large pools of ammunition in contrast to weaker laser weapons. Their primary means of artillery should be wide area of effect weaponry. The GS should be the go-to class for bunker busting, IE, getting enemy ships OUT OF cover, not forcing them into it. They should be incredibly weak at close and mid range combat and be less effective against moving targets that are even within their AOE attacks. But, for all of their attacks that do hit, they should be downright devastating.

The gunship should be like the rock in rock paper scissors. Scouts should be paper while bombers are like scissors. Strikefighters can go 1 of two ways. Firstly, they could simply be the middle ground "can do everything, but doesn't exceed any anything." Or, secondly, a 5th class can be introduced to bridge the balance between two existing classes (the SF bridging the other two). So, the SF could be the bridge between the GS and Scout, while the new class would be the bridge between the bomber and GS (or scout).

Eitherway, bottom line is this: gunships make GSF boring and not worth playing.