Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What gift for a friendly player

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
What gift for a friendly player

Ghorio
01.22.2019 , 08:17 AM | #1
Hello there!

I am new to the game (started last month) and had a little trouble finding my way through this beautiful game. So i asked for help in the chat and met a very experienced player, who helped me a LOT with my many questions, helped me on my first heroic quests, sent me a good amount of credits, a mount even and invited me to his (tremendous) fortress, so that i had everything i needed in a very comfortable way.

Now i reached level 60 and i kind of think that i have understood everything important in this game (although there will be much to explore in the future). So i want to thank my mentor player for all his service, but i dont know how to do this in a way he would appreciate it. He got a lot of thanks from me already, but i want to give something special to him (or her, i am not really sure). What would be a good gift for such a player? I dont think he needs credits from what i saw and i can't give much anyway. Is there a way you could make a gift in the cartel market? Do experienced players need something on a regular basis like stims which are hard to farm? Please let me know if you have an idea.

Regards
Ghorio

Lhancelot
01.22.2019 , 08:26 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Ghorio View Post
Hello there!

I am new to the game (started last month) and had a little trouble finding my way through this beautiful game. So i asked for help in the chat and met a very experienced player, who helped me a LOT with my many questions, helped me on my first heroic quests, sent me a good amount of credits, a mount even and invited me to his (tremendous) fortress, so that i had everything i needed in a very comfortable way.

Now i reached level 60 and i kind of think that i have understood everything important in this game (although there will be much to explore in the future). So i want to thank my mentor player for all his service, but i dont know how to do this in a way he would appreciate it. He got a lot of thanks from me already, but i want to give something special to him (or her, i am not really sure). What would be a good gift for such a player? I dont think he needs credits from what i saw and i can't give much anyway. Is there a way you could make a gift in the cartel market? Do experienced players need something on a regular basis like stims which are hard to farm? Please let me know if you have an idea.

Regards
Ghorio
Maybe a heartfelt mail with a Jawa Messenger that says "I Love You" or something else that might be more appropriate? I am kidding, sort of. I mean, the Jawa messengers are fun and simple just to use for communication, they offer many different messages too.

Seeing he probably has billions of credits and needs nothing, it's hard to say what to give him that would be useful so instead of something useful maybe something sentimental will work better.

Also, maybe some flower decorations, or some other more appropriate decorations could be found on the GTN that you could gift him, so he could place it in his fortress to always remind him of you, his wonderful underling who appreciated his kindness so much!
TRUE
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthSpuds View Post
RNG is counterproductive because it massively increases player dissatisfaction.
FALSE
Quote: Originally Posted by olagatonjedi View Post
As I detailed in another thread, RNG give the players more control over their gearing.

Ghorio
01.22.2019 , 08:35 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Lhancelot View Post
Maybe a heartfelt mail with a Jawa Messenger that says "I Love You" or something else that might be more appropriate? I am kidding, sort of. I mean, the Jawa messengers are fun and simple just to use for communication, they offer many different messages too.

Seeing he probably has billions of credits and needs nothing, it's hard to say what to give him that would be useful so instead of something useful maybe something sentimental will work better.

Also, maybe some flower decorations, or some other more appropriate decorations could be found on the GTN that you could gift him, so he could place it in his fortress to always remind him of you, his wonderful underling who appreciated his kindness so much!
I really like the idea of flower decorations. Do you have a name for such an item or something i can type in to search for this? And what are Jawa messengers? Never heard of this before, but it sounds funny

Lhancelot
01.22.2019 , 08:44 AM | #4
I really like the idea of flower decorations. Do you have a name for such an item or something i can type in to search for this? And what are Jawa messengers? Never heard of this before, but it sounds funny
You can get these Jawa messengers off the GTN, some are useable forever, while others are a one-time send thingy. I forget their real names. I will look it up, heh.

Ok, look up "Jawagram" lol. On the GTN. Some are one time use, while others are endless...

As for decorations, if you go to the GTN search flowers, search plants, etc. I am not a deco master, so cannot offhand note any specific ones available however maybe someone here will chime in with better ideas. You can just search the GTN though I am sure you might find something there.
TRUE
FALSE
As I detailed in another thread, RNG give the players more control over their gearing.

PorsaLindahl
01.22.2019 , 08:46 AM | #5
Hello there!

Regards
Ghorio
When I've helped others like that, the gratitude is enough. It's an old concept called "Paying it forward" where someone does a good deed for another (helps out a newbie) in hopes that it'll start a trend and they'll, in turn, help someone else. It's something that started in the beginning of MMO's and has become rarer over the years, but it's nice to know that it still happens.

It's nice to see something positive about players since most of the time chat is full of disgusting prepubescent pigs talking garbage.

Anyway, just let the person know that you're grateful. Send a nicely worded mail to them and just tell them that if there is anything at all you can do to help them out, not to hesitate to ask.

Lhancelot
01.22.2019 , 08:53 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by PorsaLindahl View Post
When I've helped others like that, the gratitude is enough.
Wait, Porsah you actually have helped people, been friendly to people?! No way!

I am JKing. People seem to think you are always mean-spirited and what not. Figured I would josh you a bit.
TRUE
FALSE

TUXs
01.22.2019 , 08:53 AM | #7
I think this is very kind of you, and him of course - I wish I could do this for more people myself. I'm glad he helped you so much and had such a positive impact on you.

Know what I believe he wants more than anything? He wants you to stick around. He wants you to have fun. He wants you to enjoy yourself. He doesn't want gifts from you...he wants you to be the same kind of person he is. He wants you to join a guild, or solo play more toons. He wants you to be active and positive.

In my opinion - the best way to "thank" him, is to keep in touch and let him know how much his help meant to you. I don't mean bug him non-stop, that can get annoying and creepy I mean send him mails randomly and tell him you're still here, still playing, still enjoying yourself. When you create an alt, shoot him a mail message letting him know it's you.

Don't get expensive gifts unless it's something you truly feel like you should do...your praise and gratitude is worth more reward than every item on the GTN combined.

We need more players like him...and more people like YOU who appreciate the help you've been given. I'm pleased you found this game and happy you met someone to help you.
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer 7-day FREE sub FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)

Lhancelot
01.22.2019 , 09:03 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
Know what I believe he wants more than anything? He wants you to stick around. He wants you to have fun. He wants you to enjoy yourself. He doesn't want gifts from you...

In my opinion - the best way to "thank" him, is to keep in touch and let him know how much his help meant to you. I don't mean bug him non-stop, that can get annoying and creepy
TUXs is actually right.

I gave a guy a bunch of stuff on Everquest after knowing him for a short while just because I knew I was going to leave that game and he was a nice fellow.

He was very appreciative, and even asked to exchange emails so we did. I actually been off that game for months now, but guess what? I just got an email from him asking how I was doing now since we had not talked in a long while.

That means more, building friendships with people more than any ingame items will matter. I got to know this guy and now we keep in contact even outside of the game. We aren't best friends, but it's still nice to make nice acquaintances with people that last even outside the game.

I realize this probably is not as common anymore, but it still happens. I think this was more commonly done on older MMOs like EQ1 etc., but it doesn't mean you can't build friendly relationships on this game or other newer games.
TRUE
FALSE

PorsaLindahl
01.22.2019 , 09:15 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Lhancelot View Post
Wait, Porsah you actually have helped people, been friendly to people?! No way!

I am JKing. People seem to think you are always mean-spirited and what not. Figured I would josh you a bit.
LOL - I can name a handful that probably believe that. But there's a difference between being mean spirited, speaking your mind and not taking crap. What I find funny is that I've probably encountered some of those people in game and they probably think that I'm a very nice person. Go figure.

I've helped lots of people over the years. Not "tooting my own horn" but I've given away many mounts, made items and gave away probably close to 100 mil in just this game alone. Hell, just 2 weeks ago I gave 20 mil to someone so they could get some legacy unlocks, without any expectations for compensation.

casirabit
01.22.2019 , 09:20 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
I think this is very kind of you, and him of course - I wish I could do this for more people myself. I'm glad he helped you so much and had such a positive impact on you.

Know what I believe he wants more than anything? He wants you to stick around. He wants you to have fun. He wants you to enjoy yourself. He doesn't want gifts from you...he wants you to be the same kind of person he is. He wants you to join a guild, or solo play more toons. He wants you to be active and positive.

In my opinion - the best way to "thank" him, is to keep in touch and let him know how much his help meant to you. I don't mean bug him non-stop, that can get annoying and creepy I mean send him mails randomly and tell him you're still here, still playing, still enjoying yourself. When you create an alt, shoot him a mail message letting him know it's you.

Don't get expensive gifts unless it's something you truly feel like you should do...your praise and gratitude is worth more reward than every item on the GTN combined.

We need more players like him...and more people like YOU who appreciate the help you've been given. I'm pleased you found this game and happy you met someone to help you.
This, Tux is right. When I help someone just a thank you is enough and for them to pay it forward by helping someone else. Just let her know how much you appreciated the help and that you are going to help another player. Keeping in contact with her would be good as well as long as you follow Tux's advice. She would appreciate knowing that you are still playing and having fun.

Have a great day.
A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous. A girl should also always be a lady even when arguing. If you like redheads click my Referral link Referral: http://www.swtor.com/r/VkfKqj https://poshmark.com/closet/tmcevoy1121