Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

New playable species on the horizon?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
New playable species on the horizon?

Aeneas_Falco
01.21.2018 , 11:53 AM | #21
I'd love to see a new playable species, but at this point before they do that I think they should add additional customization options to some of the existing ones. The Twi'lek for instance have very few options.

Izorii
01.21.2018 , 12:09 PM | #22
While I agree that they will never please all the people a few more alien species really wouldn't be that hard. I know some people don't care what species or character they play so it won't make a difference to them to others of us what we play changes how much effort we put into the character and how many other cosmetic options we buy. Lets face it 95% of the cartel market so a new species fits in perfectly.

I know the original development team were against any species that Leia wouldn't kiss but I don't think any of them are still around.

Eshvara
01.21.2018 , 12:12 PM | #23
All this game needs is the Evocii. It makes me want to RP, I've never been into RP.
#Arcannite
For The Empire

Isnogut
01.21.2018 , 04:37 PM | #24
The most complicated part of having new playable races are the mindsets of the developers. The main argument is still in place, "No alien looking race". So, ...basically 99,9999% of all the races in Star Wars.

'Dafuk man! It's still my decision if I want a male Rodian alt who is having an affair with Malavai Quinn. If I want Quinn to kiss a Flyhead, than that's my personal SM show!

Basically BioWare could add with ease those races into the game.

notanjelika
01.22.2018 , 01:50 AM | #25
Nautolans. They can be kissed, can use blasters and lightsabers, can wear all the armors the other species wear.
Please bring back Jaesa Willsaam

CelCawdro
01.22.2018 , 03:51 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by notanjelika View Post
Nautolans. They can be kissed, can use blasters and lightsabers, can wear all the armors the other species wear.

I always find it funny how, nearly a decade later, people are still quoting that out-of-context "kissable" comment that was dismissed by the man that made it as soon as it hit the forums - someone who hasn't worked at BioWare for nearly as long, no less.

Eshvara
01.22.2018 , 04:47 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by CelCawdro View Post

I always find it funny how, nearly a decade later, people are still quoting that out-of-context "kissable" comment that was dismissed by the man that made it as soon as it hit the forums - someone who hasn't worked at BioWare for nearly as long, no less.
Where's that quote?
#Arcannite
For The Empire

Celise
01.22.2018 , 06:47 AM | #28
It's been nearly three years since I last checked into the topic. Any looming news on this front? Is this even something people are still interested in? Anyone do some decent polling? Any rumours at all?

I know it seems a bit vain and trivial, but getting a few fresh species to play as would really reinvigorate my interest.
i see one of these threads coming up every few months, dies off and starts up another few months later. i don't expect another new species on SWTOR or if there is one coming, it would likely be the last. SWTOR is tottering on a 2 legged chair at this point, EA has already kicked the first leg out by making it so bioware is restricted in how much funding it gets and bioware kicked the second leg out on the opposite side for that disasterous GC leading to server merges and APAC players being sacrificed. if the players start going, no matter what, a new race is the last thing any of us will be discussing.

i'd be less concerned with new races at this point and more on game survival honestly.

SteveTheCynic
01.22.2018 , 06:59 AM | #29

OK, but given that the game *has* all the kissing stuff in it, how do you make it work with a species whose face is more unlike a human's than the existing playable species' faces? Sure, you can say "If you don't like it, don't do the [Flirt] options", but *someone* will, and it should look believable. Yes, they could deactivate the options for "extra" species, but that would leave me breathless in anticipation of two storms of complaints. First: people who *want* to be able to have their Nautolan kiss Lana. Second, people who get caught by some bug or other that crawls out of the woodwork, erasing or preventing their romance with Companion X.

Notice that regardless of the Togruta's lekku and montrals, the face is still like a human's face. The same applies to Twi'leks. The least human-like faces are Cathar, and they are near enough to function in romance scenes. Now let's try that with a Nautolan (sort of feasible, perhaps), a Rodian (mouth at the very bottom of the face, no significant chin below it), a Mon Calamari (er, they have *huge* mouths), or, worst of all, a Kel Dor or a Gand, where their mouthparts aren't even visible.

So Chagrians (Sgt. Rusk) could work because they have pretty human-like faces. Weequays (Tanno Vik) could work, I guess, although I see no indication in-game that there are any *female* Weequay models. The same can be said for Niktos, I suppose, with the same caveat about females.

And that brings me to another point. Models. Ignoring colour differences, how many different Nautolans are there in the game? I think you'll find that it's one male and one female. There is one Gran (three-eyed weirdo, Minister Imogh). While there are two Devaronians (Gault with broken horn, Tyresius with intact horn), there aren't any females (and the females look radically different anyway). The only difference between male and female Rodians is their voice and the breasts on the females.

These threads about new species frequently say "And the models are already in the game", which is blatantly untrue. When they introduced the Cathar, the NPC population was just four models: male with mane, male without mane, skinny female (all three with pointy teeth) and Aric Jorgan. NONE of those non-AJ models can be emulated with a player character, so they had to create a while pile of assets in order to add the species.
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.
> @"Biff.5312" said:
> Exercise your whimsy.

YlliyaXor
01.22.2018 , 08:38 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by SteveTheCynic View Post
So Chagrians (Sgt. Rusk) could work because they have pretty human-like faces. Weequays (Tanno Vik) could work, I guess, although I see no indication in-game that there are any *female* Weequay models. The same can be said for Niktos, I suppose, with the same caveat about females.

And that brings me to another point. Models. Ignoring colour differences, how many different Nautolans are there in the game? I think you'll find that it's one male and one female. There is one Gran (three-eyed weirdo, Minister Imogh). While there are two Devaronians (Gault with broken horn, Tyresius with intact horn), there aren't any females (and the females look radically different anyway). The only difference between male and female Rodians is their voice and the breasts on the females.

These threads about new species frequently say "And the models are already in the game", which is blatantly untrue. When they introduced the Cathar, the NPC population was just four models: male with mane, male without mane, skinny female (all three with pointy teeth) and Aric Jorgan. NONE of those non-AJ models can be emulated with a player character, so they had to create a while pile of assets in order to add the species.
They added Nikto females last year, there was at least one in the revamped NS event.

Sith Purebloods have basically one face for each body type. Cyborg and Twilek have variations of the same 3 face for each body type, so new species with limited customization options wouldn't really be anything new.