Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What gift for a friendly player

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
What gift for a friendly player

SteveTheCynic
01.22.2019 , 10:03 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by PorsaLindahl View Post
When I've helped others like that, the gratitude is enough. It's an old concept called "Paying it forward" where someone does a good deed for another (helps out a newbie) in hopes that it'll start a trend and they'll, in turn, help someone else. It's something that started in the beginning of MMO's and has become rarer over the years, but it's nice to know that it still happens.
It's also called "bread on the waters", and the basic idea is much, much older than MMORPGs.
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.
> @"Biff.5312" said:
> Exercise your whimsy.

PorsaLindahl
01.22.2019 , 11:50 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by SteveTheCynic View Post
It's also called "bread on the waters", and the basic idea is much, much older than MMORPGs.
Other than the religious reference (and religion is taboo on the forums), I've never heard that term used in relation to any video game.

Lhancelot
01.22.2019 , 12:52 PM | #13
Other than the religious reference (and religion is taboo on the forums), I've never heard that term used in relation to any video game.
I never heard it before, had to look it up. It's actually "bread upon the waters." Guess it's something taught from religion. He's right about the meaning though, but like you I never heard this phrase on any game I played.
TRUE
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthSpuds View Post
RNG is counterproductive because it massively increases player dissatisfaction.
FALSE
Quote: Originally Posted by olagatonjedi View Post
As I detailed in another thread, RNG give the players more control over their gearing.

Ardrossan
01.22.2019 , 02:23 PM | #14
Tbh, I would just send him a space email with the link to your thread here. What you've essentially done here is make a public thank you letter, like sending a letter to a newspaper. This is a very good gesture, and worth much more than in-game items.

In fact, I might do that myself. About a year ago I met a datacron Coyote who helped me get about a dozen hard to reach datacrons, including the Makeb ones. I gave him stacks of level 6 companion gifts, but I think he'd probably appreciate a note on the forums more, and a sign that I still remember how he helped me. It took a considerable amount of time to get them, and I think he changed characters several times [to switch from imp to pub] to get them. I didn't get the datacron master [I skipped the shards and the rishi ones are apparently very difficult] but I very much appreciate the help.

Later, another coyote helped me get the cheevo for the bounty hunter event where you find that sniper in the cartel bazaar. I gave him more comp gifts, and he was apparently amazed that anyone would give him something for an [apparently] small thing.

When I first started playing, one of my first comps was a PT tank. I'd never done MMOs before and didn't understand how tanking worked. I was in a pug heroic - hunger of the Vrbithers - before they nerfed heroics, and getting my team slaughtered because I didn't know what I was doing. This guy gave me some very helpful advice on how to tank, and stands in stark contrast to the norm for pugs. I don't remember his name, unfortunately, and can't pm him.

Another guy recently helped me add several of my alts to a guild of one, which is something I couldn't do myself [easily]. He didn't want anything - he already had plenty of comp gifts that he didn't use - but was happy to help. Unfortunately, I treated him kind of badly. I didn't remove him from the guild afterwards, and he didn't quit, so when I stopped subbing he automatically took over as GM. This was a big problem because I'd intend to start putting overflow from my legacy storage in the GB [that was the whole point of a guild of one] so I sent him a space email asking him to give me GM status back. It took like two or three weeks to get a reply, and he agreed, but I was so panicked about that happening again I deleted him. Not really paying it forward.

Lastly, a lot of my guildies from GK have helped me out recently with understanding how operations work and handholding me through a lot of the mechanics, and not blowing their top when I screw up, which I appreciate, as I probably wouldn't have been as patient.

denavin
01.22.2019 , 10:01 PM | #15
Pay it Forward.....

Like they helped you, help others. When you see somebody looking for help or information... Give it freely. It cost you nothing to be friendly to other players even if they are NOT friendly to you. Always rise above the lower life forms you find in the game.

As for your friend... keep in touch with them. Group with them, go on flashpoints with them, help them when they have problems with a mission (everybody needs help at some time), play the game with them. I am sure you know how hard it is to find somebody to group / play with that is not a jerk...

You have a friend for life in the game.... don't waste it.

That is the BEST way to to show your thanks for their help. Simply Be Their Friend...
HK-55: "Do you think she passed her test?"
Z0-OM: "According to my sensors.... NO
."

SteveTheCynic
01.25.2019 , 04:57 AM | #16
I first ran across it at the beginning of the 1990s, when my wife and I moved from the US to the UK, and my aunt gifted us some money to help us get going in our new place, with the request that we pay it back by helping someone else later, and my mother (through whom the money arrived) referred to that style of gift received => gift given journey as "bread on the waters", so not in the domain of video games at all.
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.
> @"Biff.5312" said:
> Exercise your whimsy.

PorsaLindahl
01.25.2019 , 05:32 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by SteveTheCynic View Post
I first ran across it at the beginning of the 1990s, when my wife and I moved from the US to the UK, and my aunt gifted us some money to help us get going in our new place, with the request that we pay it back by helping someone else later, and my mother (through whom the money arrived) referred to that style of gift received => gift given journey as "bread on the waters", so not in the domain of video games at all.
Semantics.

I'll admit that it may not have started with video games, and I never claimed that it was exclusive to video games. We're talking about an in-game experience here, so while "bread upon the waters" (which is the actual phrase) may fit because one interpretation of it means "the practice of giving" while the more commonly used phrase for gaming communities is "Pay it forward" or "Paying it forward" - a phrase that became popular since the inception of MMO's.