Let us make an Petition, West Coast Server.

-JE-BLAZAR-

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The lack of empathy is strong with this one.

If Bioware would have thought that creating and maintaining a west coast server centre would be profitable, they would have done it, it's a business after all, not a charity. Assuming that a west coast server is not profitable due to a low west coast player base (and spare me your anecdotal stories), the only way this would have been possible is if they made one and ran it with a loss which would be covered with funds from the more active regions. That would reduce resources for content creation and other things, and personally, I wouldn't want my monthly payment to be made to cover up for a server in a low population region, I want it to go towards new content.

It's a business, not a charity after all

If Bioware would have thought that creating and maintaining a west coast server centre would be profitable, they would have done it, it's a business after all, not a charity. Assuming that a west coast server is not profitable due to a low west coast player base (and spare me your anecdotal stories), the only way this would have been possible is if they made one and ran it with a loss which would be covered with funds from the more active regions. That would reduce resources for content creation and other things, and personally, I wouldn't want my monthly payment to be made to cover up for a server in a low population region, I want it to go towards new content.

It's a business, not a charity after all

So if Bio-ware decided that they could save money by closing down all North American servers and jamming those players onto one European server thats ok with you? Or if Bioware decided to close all European servers and only have North American servers? After all, that would save them money.

personally, I wouldn't want my monthly payment to be made to cover up for a server in a low population region, I want it to go towards new content.

So everyone’s subscription money needs to go to content that only benefits you and yours? :rolleyes: Very interesting.

So if Bio-ware decided that they could save money by closing down all North American servers and jamming those players onto one European server thats ok with you? Or if Bioware decided to close all European servers and only have North American servers? After all, that would save them money.

I don’t think anyone is arguing it would be ok or that they don’t want a west coast server again. The problem is Bioware and EA don’t care about player enjoyment if it can save them a few $.

They will easily sacrifice any part of the community to save money. Just like they did to the APAC region by shutting their servers and then stepping it up and shutting the west coast servers.

If Bioware think they will save or make more money in the further by merging all the servers into one, wether it’s in EU or the US, they will do so at the drop of a hat.

Will we agree or like it? Hell no. But they will still do it because they don’t care about the quality of the players experience.

At this late stage of the game where we have another server starting to depopulate, there is little to no chance of them opening up a server in the west again. It’s just not economically viable for them with the way they do business or they would never have moved the server in the first place.

I’m in Australia and have felt every move significantly, 22ms to 180ms to 260ms is a lot of lag. I would love to have APAC servers again or even a west coast server. But I’m a realist and know it will never happen. My choice is to live with the current situation or go. At this late juncture in the game, the only thing they could do with the servers that would make me quit would be to move them to the EU with 330ms.

I’m more likely to quit if they introduce crafted gearing that can only be obtained behind an operations play wall or paying tens of thousands of credits. Or if the servers completely die.

Edited by Totemdancer

I don’t think anyone is arguing it would be ok or that they don’t want a west coast server again. The problem is Bioware and EA don’t care about player enjoyment if it can save them a few $.

They will easily sacrifice any part of the community to save money. Just like they did to the APAC region by shutting their servers and then stepping it up and shutting the west coast servers.

If Bioware think they will save or make more money in the further by merging all the servers into one, wether it’s in EU or the US, they will do so at the drop of a hat.

Will we agree or like it? Hell no. But they will still do it because they don’t care about the quality of the players experience.

At this late stage of the game where we have another server starting to depopulate, there is little to no chance of them opening up a server in the west again. It’s just not economically viable for them with the way they do business or they would never have moved the server in the first place.

I’m in Australia and have felt every move significantly, 22ms to 180ms to 260ms is a lot of lag. I would love to APAC servers again or even a west coast server. But I’m a realist and no it will never happen. My choice is to live with the current situation or go. At this late juncture in the game, the only thing they could do with the servers that would make me quit would be to move them to the EU with 330ms.

I’m more likely to quit if they introduce crafted gearing that can only be obtained behind an operations pay wall or paying tens of thousands of credits. Or if the servers completely die.

You are right. I agree with much of what you say here. In my opinion it is the business model that has been ruining this game more than anything else. Short term gain long term loss is not acceptable. Furthermore how the development team interact with and treat the player base is more important than a lot of people seem to realise. From what I have heard Bio-ware is depending on Anthem to be a big success. I know that I will not be going anywhere near it due to the way EA and Bio-ware have been managing Star Wars the Old Republic. This is sad because Anthem will probably be good. Bio-ware have a history of making good games in my opinion. BUT, at this point in time there is no way that I am going to opt for another EA/Bio-ware online experience.

at this point in time there is no way that I am going to opt for another EA/Bio-ware online experience.

This is how I feel about EA in general, not just Bioware.

I’ve been burnt by my experience with their business model in this game and I won’t be pursuing anymore EA game. I even stopped playing the mobile SW games they make, which I liked, because they started to put more and more expensive micro transactions (P2W) in them and made it harder and harder to obtain items under normal game play (even ones that were easy when the game’s were knew) and because of their lack of care for players enjoyment in this game. I now play Star Trek mobile games instead.

If I weren’t so addicted to SW:tor and there was a viable alternative that I liked, I would leave and never utter the words EA or Bioware again. My hope is EA will lose the licence when it runs out to be the only developers of SW games. Then other developers who care more about the games and the players can get a chance to make SW games and hopefully there will be one I want to play.

Until then, I will probably putter along until SW:tor dies or the Devs make one too many bad decisions and they drive me away. An example would be implementing the proposed gear changes badly, breaking the game more with bugs, making new content be solo only or moving the servers to EU.

Edited by Totemdancer

I

That is kind of what this thread is about. It gives them the chance to prove us wrong. If they really do care about player experience they will rectify their decision.

Choose carefully Bio-ware. There is more on the line than just money. Your reputation is at stake.

C'mon.... let's address the bantha in the room. There is no more Bioware. It's EA and only EA. Bioware died at acquisition. If there's a sliver left in Anthem, that will be killed off when that game fails like ME4 and it's micro transactions seal the coffin.

The west coast data center/server will never come back. Too many executives would have to give up golfing for a few days. Can't have that. Enjoy what we have left while we have it.

Enjoy what we have left while we have it.

That’s kind of the problem, the absence of a server that is even remotely close makes this game difficult to enjoy at all. People play to have fun; not tear their hair out due to technical difficulties. The odds are so stacked so heavily against us that the game becomes actually stressful at times.

Hi all,

Today’s maintenance was part of the United Forces effort!

We have completed the upgrade of the Game Servers along with all their supporting infrastructure in the Data Centers. We made a large investment of new hardware and software and one of our primary goals was to substantially reduce our footprint while improving our overall server capacity. During our evaluation of the new servers, we determined we could also combine our North American datacenters. That also occurred today and we have officially moved out of our West Coast location. Our testing showed no impact on the gameplay experience, but we expect some of you playing on formerly West Coast servers may see higher ping times. We’ll use the next two weeks to smooth out any kinks and resolve any performance issues encountered.

You’ll see the same Servers today that you saw yesterday. They’re just running on new hardware and, some, in different locations. As announced previously the move to the five (5) new Servers will be on Wednesday, November 8, 2017. At that time all Game Servers and the SWTOR website will be down for up to 12 hours. We’ll let you know the actual start time a few days before.

Report any specific issues you encounter to Customer Service as we’ve established an escalation process for critical issues. Please be a bit patient with us over the coming weeks as we unite players from a variety of servers and try to make this a smooth and painless process for everyone.

Cheers!

-Keith--

So if one reads between the lines we can interpret this post to mean;

(1) We cutting costs homie and if you are geting the short end of the stick... LOL good luck and enjoy.

(2) No steam roller of intergalactic proportions is smoothing this over but we are trying to be diplomatic about how some of you are getting the shaft BIG time.

(3) Customer service aint gonna be able to solve your problems and you will be promplty ignored once we determine that you are indeed APAC scum. Have fun with your new and improved lag bag. Over and Out.

Edited by Yeldah_

• 3 months later...