Class story review thread No. 375

KaleTogras

I finally completed all the class stories, yay! As such, I can now indulge in the Internet's original sin, making a ranked list of best to worst storylines, all the while pretending I have any right to poo-poo the work of writers who spent months creating the game we all like so much :cool:. Oh, and beware of some very light spoilers (tried not to reveal anything more than plot outlines). Anyway, without further a-do:

Imperial Agent 9/10 – the most uncontroversial score (this story tops the rankings of every player and their wampa), seeing as how the IA has come from left field to become the most nuanced, well written and personable story of the game. The IA plotline has it all – 1) stakes: you are confronting a slowly unraveling conspiracy that is secretly manipulating the galaxy at war to its own ends, driven by the most intriguing side-theme from KOTOR 2, the fear and resentment of ordinary people towards force-users; 2) meaningful player choice that alters everything from your affiliation (twice!), how you approach your work and even the prize you can get in the end (or who ends up owning it); 3) excellent pacing: most stories tend to drag during Chapter 2, shamelessly padding out the story until something meaningful happens (looking at you, Trooper) but the IA uses this time to introduce, flesh out and resolve a significant personal quirk, while also dismantling a rival intelligence op. Great stuff. Chapter 1 is even better. Only Chapter 3 sags a bit towards the end, but only due the vast number of plot threads that need tying up. The NPCs are great, the writing is great, the twists are great, everything is top notch. So why not a 10/10? Mostly because the main villain’s final reveal isn’t exactly punchy enough. In general, his character is less intriguing than you might think.

Overall, if you are looking for an excellent spy drama set snuggly into the Star Wars canon, you cannot do better (or worse, being the only one of its kind) than the IA campaign.

Smuggler 8/10 - if one adjective could easily describe the whole Smuggler story, it would be “delightful”. It starts off pretty slow, with your totally-not-the-Millenium-Falcon being stolen by the game’s second worst villain (congrats on winning, Tarro Blood) and you having to slowly play through the collection of Han Solo greatest hits (such as getting your very own Wookie) to get it back. Once the tedious, unfunny box ticking is done over the course of the first few planets, however the plot spreads its wings and soars - you will complete a treasure hunt, rob ships, pull off heists, meet, sleep with, be betrayed by and kill interesting people, all the while spraying as many quips as blaster bolts. It is all really good fun. The two different alignment you can play also allow you to have distinct identities - as a LS character, you will be Return of the Jedi Han Solo, a selfless patriot, doing what is right with a blaster at one hip and a book of corny one liners at the other. As a DS character, you will be more of a blend of the New Hope Han Solo and Al Capone, a charming sociopath who is as likely to help you as shoot you if money’s on the line. Both ways of playing are rewarding to go through, and I would recommend having two smuggler chars to dabble in the duality of your mugging space pirate. Finally, get ready to sound suave and creepy in equal measure as your Smuggler hits on everything that moves that isn’t a mouse droid.

Overall, I played the smuggler campaign with a huge smile on my lips, giddy at the next time I can deploy a cutting remark or charm the socks off the next quest giver. It may not be the most important archetype to explore in a SW game, but it is still a good time for space pirates of most ages.

Trooper 7/10 – often described as boring or non-Star Wars-y, I delayed playing the Trooper until the very last moment, dreading what I would find once I slipped into my combat booties. Turns out I would find an extremely competent military shooter story, cunningly disguised as a Star Wars horde mode simulator. I value consistency in writing a lot, and the story made me consistently feel like a member of Republic special forces, even down to the disciplined selection of enemies I faced (you can canonically face just two Sith during the entire campaign, emphasizing the importance and menace of both). The story also features very believable characters, with the entirety of the first chapter dedicated to getting to know, then confront an elite squad of baddies with which you share a past. The flavor of your alignment choices is a lot more subtle than with Force-using classes, but also more in keeping with your character, with a dark side trooper being a rogue black ops agent that makes even Garza buckle (you get to shoot a Senator! During a hearing! More to the point, you get to participate in hearings, almost like a real military rep, nice!), and the light side making you a model, by-the-book soldier with a heart of duragold. Either way, people will notice your choices, and you will notice at least some small consequences.

The story’s insistence on you being part of an actual unit rather than a two-person goon squad does often create Ludo-narrative dissonance, though - defiantly shouting “Havoc squad, attack!” only to turn around and see nobody but Elara fiddling with her medical scanner never fails to make me facepalm. Another drawback is that most missions end up in wave combat or with you gunning down large number of cannon fodder trash mobs, probably to again cleave closer to the militaristic nature of the campaign, but only serving to emphasize how poorly the Hero engine is for simulating mob combat. And yes, as many noticed before, Chapter 2 is a bit of a wasted space, only improved by the existence of Tanno Vick.

Overall, this is the kind of story that EA’s SW Battlefield II can only dream of doing half of. If you have any proclivity for military procedurals or simply want to carry a man-sized cannon while interacting with (and blasting) well written NPCs, the Trooper will be your speed.

Sith Warrior 6/10 – the Sith Warrior’s story is like a trip to your favorite fast food franchise - it is easy to get into, filling, makes you feel bad and is full of cheese. However, it is a good kind of cheese, one that is unrelenting in its ridiculous, self-deluded grandeur. Your character ark is an exercise in effortless, over-praised domination – you were the most powerful acolyte, apprenticed to a super powerful Darth and only briefly inconvenienced once to be made the Emperor’s own mean, scary death dude. Every trash mob you face is announced as being horribly dangerous, only for you to auto attack them to death to the amazement and applause of all in sundry. The quality of the writing is what you would expect of such fare – unabashedly self-important and as subtle as a clown with tourette’s. In fact, this is the only story where the writer’s notes seem to have become character lines – characters (including yourself) will straight up announce their moods, feelings and actions, even when they are very obviously happening on screen (The Sith attacks! Baras strikes! I am confused by your actions! You have shamed me! etc.). It is all very ridiculous, dumb and melodramatic, but also enjoyable if you are in the right mindset. The morality of your character is nicely split down the middle, with a DS player being an over-the-top storybook villain, and a LS character being a more thoughtful and empathetic, but still severe enforcer.

Overall, if you are looking for an easy, supremely cheesy take on the life of a Sith, look no further. Your personal score may vary depending on how forgiving you are of power fantasy schlock tropes – if you cannot lower your personal critic-o-meter down from IA-level writing, this is a straight 5/10.

Jedi Consular 6/10 – another class story that gets an awful rap, the Jedi Consular is “the boring talky one” where you are a diplomat and peace keeper and don’t even get to have high-school level black and white morality choices about whether it is in the Jedi code to stab people and sneakily shag grateful victims. Well…yeah, all of that is true. Unlike the JK story, the Consular really does make you feel like an actual Jedi, specifically the Yoda type, who rejects adventures and excitement in favor of sacrifice, service and mediation. And in that, it succeeds quite well. The first Chapter sees you learn mysteries of the force from long-half-remembered masters, then applying it to give of yourself to cure others, solving an ancient mystery along the way. It’s like the SI Chapter 2, but not terrible. As you continue, you get to travel with a retinue of reluctant diplomats and statesmen, making the most serious and sustained contributions to the Republic war effort of any class and solving another big mystery also touched on by the JK story. Unfortunately, being so closely aligned with the idea of an actual Jedi, this means that being a morally-flexible DS Consular often makes little sense, making this the one story I cannot see much reason to play a DS alt with.

However, for all that and regardless of how much I like the story…I still have to agree with the prevailing consensus – the story is a bit boring, the twists are not as clever as the writer feels and the main character, even when being the occasional dark side bad boy, is a block of wood (partially at fault is Nolan North’s delivery, which made me physically fall asleep a couple of times).

Overall, the best simulation of what an actual prominent Jedi would be doing in wartime, and a class story well worth visiting, if maybe not re-visiting.

Bounty Hunter 6/10 – middle of the road kind of fare that does just enough to make you feel like a grizzled bounty hunter, without actually giving you the freedom such a role requires. For the first two chapters you will run around chasing bounties, trying to build up your personal ranking in the face of the galaxie's biggest bounty hunting ******es, while measuring blasters with an incredibly forced, 2-dimensional rival (Tarro Blood makes Skavak from the Smuggler’s plotline seem like Othelo. Skavak!). However, the character writing is solid and you can certainly add flavor to your moral choices (which are mostly relegated to bringing in your bounties alive or gunning them down on the spot). Chapter 3 ramps up the stakes significantly, thrusting you up from a mercenary barely aligned to the Empire to their personal gunman, which may also be the point in which you will either become more frustrated with the story for limiting your freedom, or more interested as you finally get a very clear shape of your ultimate enemy. This enemy is, in my opinion, quite satisfying to match up against (mostly because he introduces an question of the underlying morality of your profession, and how you and other Mandalorians choose to pursue it), and the confrontation with him ranks high as far as showdowns with the Big Bad go (do yourself a favor and choose the DS option when he is down, even if you are a LS boi). The story also gives those players who chafed under the Empire’s heel throughout the Chapter the option to have a nice little moment of defiance at the end.

Overall, the story checks just enough boxes for me to recommend playing it. Your personal mileage through the story’s rougher and more uneventful patches may vary depending on how cool the very thought of playing a BH is.

Jedi Knight 5/10 – the poster boy (or girl) of the game, and the character story most closely aligned to the popular perception of what a Star Wars story should look like, which is to say, a plot that reads like a fan-fiction somebody doodled after watching the Force Awakens. Much like the heroine of that particular movie, the Jedi you get to play is the Stuiest of all Gary Stus – everybody alive and dead kisses your Jedi feet from the beginning, you easily triumph over nemeses that can dispatch actual Jedi Masters with ease and you are sent to prevent only the most devastating enemies and plots (I don’t think that there is a single planet storyline in which the fate of the entire world isn’t squarely on your shoulders). Much like the Sith Warrior, the power fantasy here is obvious and blunt, but unlike the SW story, your character gets saddled with an automatic save-the-galaxy plot that makes monkeying about less narratively justifiable. Not that the game doesn’t help by turning a blind eye to your indulgences - for much of the game, you can be obviously and intensely cruel, evil and petty, and you will still be the hero in the eyes of everyone around you. I don’t want to spoil anything, but at one point I did a…thing, to a person, as a favor to another…thing, which would lead to perpetual war and planetary devastation - an action that would make even the SW blush! I will say that the end of Chapter 3 is masterful, if only as the reactivity to your alignment choices causes drastically different outcomes for certain characters and you can finally get at least some little push back on being an evil douche. But that is just one planet. For the rest? Go nuts, no one cares.

In addition, and I know this can sound like a minor quibble, but the quest design for the JK plot is sometimes awful. On Belsavis, quest markers are often placed a ten minutes speeder drive away from the nearest QT point…and a single quest might have 4 of those! Not to mention that, once I approached the main villain’s lair, he literally made me backtrack for another half hour to do another quest before facing him! Awful, awful stuff!

So far, what I wrote is almost universally negative. So why isn’t this my least favorite story? It is because the end of the campaign was very enjoyable, especially on the dark side of the alignment spectrum. Almost made the whole ride worthwhile.

Overall, the Jedi Knight, like the Sith Warrior, is pure Star Wars cheese, but the bad plant-based kind – it will do the job in the absence of alternatives, but its flavor barely resembles the real thing and it will only make you long for something better to sink your teeth into.

Sith Inquisitor 3/10 – if the Sith Warrior succeeds at being a thoughtless power fantasy, the Inquisitor fails at being a story of player disempowerment. The plot, at face value, sounds intriguing enough – you start off as a slave, are given just enough power to become a tool of your master, are hounded by a nemesis so powerful you must tap into the might of ancient Sith Lords just to measure up and are only rewarded when you claw your way to the top of the highest body pile in the Empire. Intriguing stuff, right? In theory yes…but in execution, almost none of these elements come together in a satisfying way. There are three reasons for this – 1) instead of being a Palpatine-esque manipulator, you are a Sith Ghostbuster, filling gaps in your ability, knowledge and intelligence through a cadre of put-upon ghost pals, which robs the story of the bump in the arc – other, more interesting Sith died, were made into ghosts, and are not helping you avoid having to struggle in a character-building way; 2) your character is pretty stupid – you will blindly stumble into death trap after death trap, only being saved through writer’s fiat and ghost-ex-machinas. This is a typical mistake junior writers make – they are so enamored with their NPCs that the player cannot possible resist their dumb, obvious plots, unless saved by other pet NPCs. Heck, even NPC characters don’t escape being clobbered by the stupid stick – see your apprentice’s box-corruption or the Jedi lightning/shotgun wedding; 3) after the prologue, your motivations and actions are defined exclusively by others – by Darth Zash’s ritual at first, then by your Ghost dad, finally by Darth Thanaton’s bizarrely total and poorly explained grudge against you (he blames you for your master’s naughtiness – God forbid it was over anything we did). It is only around Chapter 3 that the story gives you anything close to an active stake in the conflict forced on you.

Overall, the story is a failed disempowerment fantasy, not because your character isn't powerless (they very clearly are), but because others intervene all the time to give you the power you lack. The flavor they were going for, the manipulating, scheming Sith, is completely absent from the final product. I was tempted to give it a 2/10, but I opted for an extra point because both the female and male voices for the SI are hands-down the best in the game. Also, you get to do the lightning in the cutscenes, so that’s something I guess.

Edited by KaleTogras

I agree with most of your opinions but I heavily disagree with your opinion on the SI story, I do think you're being rather harsh on it and the SW which IMO are some of my favorites. The story is a great one about rising to power, voice-acting is top-notch as you've mentioned. Really the SI succeeds at making me feel immersed into the Dark Side of the force, its rituals, Sith History and politics. Playing through it there were moments where I felt like a Sith Lord even more than I did with the Warrior, there are things that I wish had been written better I'll give you that much but overall I found it to me the most enjoyable of the class stories. And I disagree heavily with your character motivations being defined exclusively by others, while you're "directed" towards a certain path in Act I it's just about following Sith hierarchy. Act 2 is about getting payback and act 3 is about recovering and finally defeating your enemy, this is as personal as it gets in my mind.

I agree with much of your assessments of the various stories. The Knight and Warrior stories are certainly self-aggrandizing. The Trooper is pretty consistent with some great lines and moments triggered by dark side choices. I think you're a little harsh on the Inquisitor story, but I do agree with you about some of the elements (the character does walk into some stupid, obviously trap, stuff) and the ex machinas. But, to be fair, ex machinas play a strong role in a number of the stories. I would rate the Consular story higher as it's my favorite both in class and story. I think there are elements about the Consular story that many people miss, several of which you touched upon, that causes the to rate the story lower. The story is certainly more cerebral rather than visceral like some of the other stories.

The one area in which I greatly disagree, and I'm generally at odds with others about this, is the Agent story. I don't see what is compelling about it in the least. To me, the story is simply an amalgam of every over used, recycled spy trope and cliche that crops up in most spy movies. The character is James Bond meets Jason Borne meets the Manchurian Candidate. While every story is guilty of this to some extent or another, the Agent story has the worst illusion of choice of any of the stories. More than once you are given an option that ultimately has no bearing on what comes next because you will always be a tool for the Empire. Ossus, here's hoping, may eventually offer some weight to one's choice to defect or expatriate, for everyone not just the Agent, but until then it is an element that was sorely missing from the Agent's story even though that illusion was created.

I disagree with a lot of things you said, but I'll stick to what really matters.:D

Smuggler 8/10 - if one adjective could easily describe the whole Smuggler story, it would be “delightful”. It starts off pretty slow, with your totally-not-the-Millenium-Falcon being stolen by the game’s second worst villain (congrats on winning, Tarro Blood) and you having to slowly play through the collection of Han Solo greatest hits (such as getting your very own Wookie) to get it back. Once the tedious, unfunny box ticking is done over the course of the first few planets, however the plot spreads its wings and soars - you will complete a treasure hunt, rob ships, pull off heists, meet, sleep with, be betrayed by and kill interesting people, all the while spraying as many quips as blaster bolts. It is all really good fun. The two different alignment you can play also allow you to have distinct identities - as a LS character, you will be Return of the Jedi Han Solo, a selfless patriot, doing what is right with a blaster at one hip and a book of corny one liners at the other. As a DS character, you will be more of a blend of the New Hope Han Solo and Al Capone, a charming sociopath who is as likely to help you as shoot you if money’s on the line. Both ways of playing are rewarding to go through, and I would recommend having two smuggler chars to dabble in the duality of your mugging space pirate. Finally, get ready to sound suave and creepy in equal measure as your Smuggler hits on everything that moves that isn’t a mouse droid.

Overall, I played the smuggler campaign with a huge smile on my lips, giddy at the next time I can deploy a cutting remark or charm the socks off the next quest giver. It may not be the most important archetype to explore in a SW game, but it is still a good time for space pirates of most ages.

IMHO, you give the smuggler story way too much credit. I mean, the only reason why this story isn't horrible is because of the hero's funny remarks, quite literally. It has horrible villains, a boring story, predictable plot twists and overall your smuggler doesn't do anything noteworthy when compared with other classes. Like I said before, the only redeemable feature of this story is a great comedy and the fact you can lead your own crime syndicate in the end.

Trooper 7/10 – often described as boring or non-Star Wars-y, I delayed playing the Trooper until the very last moment, dreading what I would find once I slipped into my combat booties. Turns out I would find an extremely competent military shooter story, cunningly disguised as a Star Wars horde mode simulator. I value consistency in writing a lot, and the story made me consistently feel like a member of Republic special forces, even down to the disciplined selection of enemies I faced (you can canonically face just two Sith during the entire campaign, emphasizing the importance and menace of both). The story also features very believable characters, with the entirety of the first chapter dedicated to getting to know, then confront an elite squad of baddies with which you share a past. The flavor of your alignment choices is a lot more subtle than with Force-using classes, but also more in keeping with your character, with a dark side trooper being a rogue black ops agent that makes even Garza buckle (you get to shoot a Senator! During a hearing! More to the point, you get to participate in hearings, almost like a real military rep, nice!), and the light side making you a model, by-the-book soldier with a heart of duragold. Either way, people will notice your choices, and you will notice at least some small consequences.

The story’s insistence on you being part of an actual unit rather than a two-person goon squad does often create Ludo-narrative dissonance, though - defiantly shouting “Havoc squad, attack!” only to turn around and see nobody but Elara fiddling with her medical scanner never fails to make me facepalm. Another drawback is that most missions end up in wave combat or with you gunning down large number of cannon fodder trash mobs, probably to again cleave closer to the militaristic nature of the campaign, but only serving to emphasize how poorly the Hero engine is for simulating mob combat. And yes, as many noticed before, Chapter 2 is a bit of a wasted space, only improved by the existence of Tanno Vick.

Overall, this is the kind of story that EA’s SW Battlefield II can only dream of doing half of. If you have any proclivity for military procedurals or simply want to carry a man-sized cannon while interacting with (and blasting) well written NPCs, the Trooper will be your speed.

The same problem happens with the trooper story. It is said to be one of the worst because it kinda is. The first chapter has a very interesting concept with the betrayal of your squad, but that quickly ends with chapter 1 and what could have been an interesting story turned into a predictable and boring one. Chapter 2 is useless. Chapter 3 is truly the only good chapter with Rakton being an actually interesting and good villain. The reasons for his support of the Empire were definitely a breath of fresh air from the normal type.

Jedi Consular 6/10 – another class story that gets an awful rap, the Jedi Consular is “the boring talky one” where you are a diplomat and peace keeper and don’t even get to have high-school level black and white morality choices about whether it is in the Jedi code to stab people and sneakily shag grateful victims. Well…yeah, all of that is true. Unlike the JK story, the Consular really does make you feel like an actual Jedi, specifically the Yoda type, who rejects adventures and excitement in favor of sacrifice, service and mediation. And in that, it succeeds quite well. The first Chapter sees you learn mysteries of the force from long-half-remembered masters, then applying it to give of yourself to cure others, solving an ancient mystery along the way. It’s like the SI Chapter 2, but not terrible. As you continue, you get to travel with a retinue of reluctant diplomats and statesmen, making the most serious and sustained contributions to the Republic war effort of any class and solving another big mystery also touched on by the JK story. Unfortunately, being so closely aligned with the idea of an actual Jedi, this means that being a morally-flexible DS Consular often makes little sense, making this the one story I cannot see much reason to play a DS alt with.

However, for all that and regardless of how much I like the story…I still have to agree with the prevailing consensus – the story is a bit boring, the twists are not as clever as the writer feels and the main character, even when being the occasional dark side bad boy, is a block of wood (partially at fault is Nolan North’s delivery, which made me physically fall asleep a couple of times).

Overall, the best simulation of what an actual prominent Jedi would be doing in wartime, and a class story well worth visiting, if maybe not re-visiting.

I do somewhat agree with you here, the consular story isn't THAT bad, but it certainly deserves the rep it has. I mean, when you write on paper the actions of your hero throughout the story they seem ****** and amazing but then you actually play the game and it is the most boring thing ever. Everyone is so monotone if feels like they don't even want to be there. The companions are some of the worst of the entire game and the plot twists are so predictable I saw them from a mile away.

Sith Inquisitor 3/10 – if the Sith Warrior succeeds at being a thoughtless power fantasy, the Inquisitor fails at being a story of player disempowerment. The plot, at face value, sounds intriguing enough – you start off as a slave, are given just enough power to become a tool of your master, are hounded by a nemesis so powerful you must tap into the might of ancient Sith Lords just to measure up and are only rewarded when you claw your way to the top of the highest body pile in the Empire. Intriguing stuff, right? In theory yes…but in execution, almost none of these elements come together in a satisfying way. There are three reasons for this – 1) instead of being a Palpatine-esque manipulator, you are a Sith Ghostbuster, filling gaps in your ability, knowledge and intelligence through a cadre of put-upon ghost pals, which robs the story of the bump in the arc – other, more interesting Sith died, were made into ghosts, and are not helping you avoid having to struggle in a character-building way; 2) your character is pretty stupid – you will blindly stumble into death trap after death trap, only being saved through writer’s fiat and ghost-ex-machinas. This is a typical mistake junior writers make – they are so enamored with their NPCs that the player cannot possible resist their dumb, obvious plots, unless saved by other pet NPCs. Heck, even NPC characters don’t escape being clobbered by the stupid stick – see your apprentice’s box-corruption or the Jedi lightning/shotgun wedding; 3) after the prologue, your motivations and actions are defined exclusively by others – by Darth Zash’s ritual at first, then by your Ghost dad, finally by Darth Thanaton’s bizarrely total and poorly explained grudge against you (he blames you for your master’s naughtiness – God forbid it was over anything we did). It is only around Chapter 3 that the story gives you anything close to an active stake in the conflict forced on you.

Overall, the story is a failed disempowerment fantasy, not because your character isn't powerless (they very clearly are), but because others intervene all the time to give you the power you lack. The flavor they were going for, the manipulating, scheming Sith, is completely absent from the final product. I was tempted to give it a 2/10, but I opted for an extra point because both the female and male voices for the SI are hands-down the best in the game. Also, you get to do the lightning in the cutscenes, so that’s something I guess.

I agree with what the posters above me said. One of the best, in my opinion.

:rolleyes:

Edited by JJKerryee

• 3 weeks later...

Also just completed the class stories.

Imperial Agent 6/10 – First you hunt evil Empire psychopath puppy kickers who are also TERRORISTS. But then, suddenly PLOT TWIST, "I'm not saying it's space jews.. but it's space jews" memes. Then you let them capture you because contrived plot reasons, then they let you go because contrived plot reasons. Then you shoot them in the face, credits roll. The plot made my head hurt, it was so stupid and illogical it made Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald look like a well written script. But at least it earns points for not being as cliched as other class stories.

Smuggler 5/10 - Starts very promising, first it's "Dude, where's my car", then it's a treasure hunt. Unfortunately, halfway trough Smuggler remembers it's a SW story. Suddenly you're Republics underling, hunting down one evil Empire psychopath puppy kicker after another. Oh well, half a story better than nothing.

Trooper Solid 8 Call of Duties /10 - Near perfection, just needed a little more Doritos and explosions and walking away not looking at explosions. If only other class stories could have been half this good.

Sith Warrior 2/10 - There is no story. You beat down one evil Empire psychopath puppy kicker, then you move on to the next one. Only saved from complete disaster by some pretty funny Dark Side dialogue choices. I'll admit, the bickering back and forth on who is the bigger evil clown amused me. "Bow down for I am Darth Puppykicker Supreme".

Jedi Consular 1/10 – There is no story. You beat down one evil Empire psychopath puppy kicker, then you move on to the next one.

Bounty Hunter 2/10 – The eternal underling. First you're beating down some random targets because contrived plot reasons. After all the good work and winning the coveted underling of the year award, you move up the chain and are now some random Sith Lords underling beating down Republic targets. Ehh, okay I guess, at least they're not evil Empire psychopath puppy kickers for a change.

Jedi Knight 1/10 – There is no story. You beat down one evil Empire psychopath puppy kicker, then you move on to the next one.

Sith Inquisitor 5/10 – Huh. Well that was different. I'll admit Ghostbusters was one of my favorite comedies back in the day, and this captures that nonsensical feeling perfectly. Unfortunately, halfway trough Inquisitor remembers it's a SW story, hunting down evil Empire psychopath puppy kickers, yada yada. Oh well, half a story better than nothing.

* no puppies were hurt in the making of this post

Edited by madarsrikards

Having played all class stories (way) more than once, I'll throw in my couple o'pennies.

Agent, while good, is a little overhyped, I think.

Some of the choices you make should get you tortured and killed, period. There is no "if" the Empire knew. With the effort and tech they invest in their intelligence gathering network, they know if you are going number one, number two, or both before you even think of entering the bathroom.

You get away with a lot of MAJOR stuff even when you're being specifically told "we know" (Dark Brotherhood handprint here). Just because how awesome our Agent is.

Don't like the companion one bit, too. Except maybe the good Doctor...

Sith Warrior-I May Be a little biased, since it's my favourites one.

It's just that beneath this cheesy power trip facade there's a lot of underlying personal struggles - beyond just light and dark ("I am immune to doubt" © Sith Warrior). Some of the companions also feel like they influence the character, for better or worse.

Vette is too popular for her own good, but I feel she's the one that helps to shape out hero (or villain) into what he/she eventually becomes.

Malavai Quinn who we also love to hate, is also the Warrior's mirror.

Inquisitor felt more like an adventure than a personal experience, but I really enjoyed the cynical sense of humour. I also noticed that the character never actually becomes free, despite the outcome of the story. First, a slave to cruel Master, then the victim of a plot, then a terrible disease/condition. The closest thing to freedom they get is the LS ending (freeing the ghosts).

The Jedi Knight is straightforward, dramatic. And it's not necessarily a bad thing. They have a destiny, and it doesn't really matter how they fulfill it. It's a thrilling ride, no more and no less.

Of all my Consular playthroughs I enjoyed a LS female character the most. Why? Her voice. It's something magical, sensual, enthralling. Huh? Plague? Yes, tell me more... What? Emperor's mind-thralls in the ranks of the Republic? Fascinating, do tell...

Jokes aside, the story is nice, but ultimately forgettable.

Trooper/BH... Honestly tried to like them, played both twice. They feel like b/c action movies that you watch once and forget.

Smuggler-pretty much like watching a standup show in a middle of a firefight. Good, but has a lot more potential that was left untouched. Sadly, forgettable.