Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns

Cheezfriend

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This whole fiasco is like putting toothpaste back into the tube and you wonder why the community is angry. First you give us APAC servers to enjoy optimal ping/latency and take them away again.

I don't believe that was ever given as a reason for APAC servers. It's always been more about community and playing with people in the same time zone. Most MMOs don't have servers hosted locally. That includes the biggest MMO world of warcraft which last I checked, had APAC servers but not ones hosted locally.

None to happy about this, whilst it wont cause me to unsub (yet) I wanted to add my voice to the list of people unhappy about merging to NA server, obviously the ping issues and on Dalborra we have a great community which I fear will be lost, however, I also want to know; I already have full character slots and on my proposed server, (which I was already merged into once and forced to rename some characters) I have 8 slots used, are we just going to get free increase of slots to accommodate this? or as well as forced name changes are we going to have forced character deletions?

I have those from before there was Oceanic servers, just in case anyone's wondering :)

Going from what I have seen on the times that are raid/prime times for us here in WA there is not going to be a big increase of numbers, assuming we don't see a decrease of the wait times then what? all for nothing.

Finally why cant we just have cross server queues? other games so it one big one springs to mind, it would be better than a forced relocation of our home, and yes to some of us it is home.

I don't believe that was ever given as a reason for APAC servers. It's always been more about community and playing with people in the same time zone. Most MMOs don't have servers hosted locally. That includes the biggest MMO world of warcraft which last I checked, had APAC servers but not ones hosted locally.

Well if that's the only reason was timezone they would have left the community on the Harbinger or Swift sure in the first place. Also now they would of allowed transfers back to any of those US servers regardless of play style so the community could choose to transfer together, if they choose.

The bottomline is: They wanted to capatilse on the APAC market but because the game (the whole game) is in population decline we are just the next axe to fall.

Edited by PseudoScience

I'm done with this game unless we have an APAC server.

This game is sub par to WoW in everything but PVP and I don't pvp much, so not an issue for me. The biggest selling point to me that kept me around was the amazing ping. With that going why would I want to continue playing SWTOR? Rehashed content as nightmare mode for every second progression tier does not make me want to hang around.

I know that WoW doesn't have APAC servers, but its a more polished game, with better pop. So if I have to decide between 2 games that have the same ping, I will choose WoW over SWTOR any day. Especially with how bioware/EA have treated their customers in this game all year.

The bottomline is: They wanted to capatilse on the APAC market but because the game (the whole game) is in population decline we are just the next axe to fall.

That's pretty much the reality. It's not the best solution but it would have been a lot better if it had been done sooner. The population problems have gotten steadily worse while they twiddled their thumbs, waiting to see what impact FTP had on the population. Would have saved a lot of cancelled subscriptions in the meantime if they'd just done this or something else in the first place.

The lack of action over such a long period of time has been enough to drive a lot of people away. Several that I know of personally.

I know that WoW doesn't have APAC servers, but its a more polished game, with better pop. So if I have to decide between 2 games that have the same ping, I will choose WoW over SWTOR any day. Especially with how bioware/EA have treated their customers in this game all year.

I like wow the way it used to be but it sucks now IMO. Funnily enough I actually preferred pvp in wow and it's pve I prefer in this game. I played on a wow server that did have a fairly low population but cross server pvp and group finder fixed that problem. That's a solution I would have liked to have seen here. Never even got considered as an option as far as I can tell. Would have been far better than server mergers.

I like wow the way it used to be but it sucks now IMO. Funnily enough I actually preferred pvp in wow and it's pve I prefer in this game. I played on a wow server that did have a fairly low population but cross server pvp and group finder fixed that problem. That's a solution I would have liked to have seen here. Never even got considered as an option as far as I can tell. Would have been far better than server mergers.

I liked PVE in this game too, until you see the fact the EC has been end game for at least 8 months or so of the last year, that is piss poor. We cleared ECNM within the first week of it coming out and then didn't go back for 3-4 months, because most of players still had burnout from the constant ECHM clearing just a few months before. WoW does a better job of end game PVE in that regard, which is why I consider it the better option now.

IMO PVP is the saving grace of this game for the majority, as it was superior to WoW's, but not many want to go to playing SWTOR PVP with 200+ms. So they lose the one thing they have over WoW.

And yes, cross server queues would have easily been the simplest solution and were awesome for WoW. I never wanted to leave my server while I was playing, which was one of the original release servers, and the cross server capability meant I didn't have to as I had a HK guild on my server to raid with. This game doesn't want to do cross server ****, so they screw themselves over in that respect.

Edited by iSythe

I have subscribed from day one on the promise of oceanic based servers. We received them and I was content. They are now being merged back into North American servers. Fine. i will no longer subscribe to a game that does not provide me with the experience I desire. This includes being able to play on locally situated servers.

I am resoundingly unimpressed with this decision and as a result I will no longer patronise the game. I have no expectation that Bioware will do anything about it, but I want to make it very very clear to them that I believe this decision is poor and does a disservice to its oceanic playerbase and that it has directly caused me to cease parting with funds.

Best of luck to those of you who are happy to merge into NA servers.

Thus ends my SWTOR experience.

So why would merging the apac servers be so bad, make it a pve server, let the people from the pvp server toggle their flag on all the time (bet they dont when leveling, cause being ganked is never fun) let the role players role play ( there is no set rules on the rp server anyway, u can call your toon anything u want) and let us apac people keep our good ping. Edited by GenesisDemon

I am laughing my absolute *ss off at all the rage in this thread.

I was going to type out all my thoughts about everything, but then realized its pretty much pointless, and i'm just going to continue to laugh.

Btw, <The Elite> is currently recruiting all good PvPer's for rateds on the Bastion.

So in the same breathe you show yourself to be a complete twerp and then try to recruit people to your stupid guild. That's one hell of a recruitment drive there mate, good to see the calibre of clowns they'd be joining -___-

Hey everyone,

To clarify a bit more about this decision. We did previously ask what folks on the forums would like to do as an APAC solution and some, but not all, offered up the solution of merging all APAC into one. The other option on the table was to merge APAC into the NA servers. When we discussed the options internally we looked to address everyone’s primary issues with APAC, low populations were creating a less than optimal game experience.

We went and looked at what current server populations looked like across all of APAC and to put it simply, even merging all of APAC together into one server would not solve the population problems. Even with that solution you would still see long queue times for things like Warzones and Group Finder. It was because of this that we decided that moving APAC into the NA servers was the best option.

One thing to note is that there is no catchall solution here. If we move APAC to NA some folks will see increased latency, but they will have healthy server populations and can remain on their chosen server types. If we merge everyone into one APAC server, latency will remain in place but the current population issues will exist and players will lose their preferred server type. Leaving things as they are leaves all of the current issues in place without a solution at all. This is one of the reasons getting the plan out to you folks took so long, we had to think long and hard about all of the implications of our decision.

-eric

You are talking of creating an 'optimum gaming experience.' What I believe to be this- alongside many others- is before all the gameplay. Without good gameplay, we couldn't care less about Warzone queues and Group Finder queues. It's the reason we wanted to merge our servers- we do all benefit. While we lose our 'preferred style of play' voluntary server transfers to the US could be requested. We would still be happy as population would still mildly increase, and we wouldn't be playing with US servers. Reconsider, we all beg of you. Just see the various petitions, you're just about sealing the coffin in your game for this side of the world.

If that's a problem, I propose to you you leave the servers the same and focus on seeing if US/European servers WANT to join us. Population would increase. No one would be forced to do anything. We're happy, you retain the same amount of players you would have if you hadn't made the mistake of announcing this.

Reconsider. Please.

It's all over this decision has been a hard one to take in but sit back and look at what really might be going on.

* free calling # was cut and all people must make international toll calls.

* Support staff and quality is at an all time low but is slowly restoring faith to players.

* Cartel market is being pushed to earn extreme amounts of income for SWTOR.

Those 3 things are huge signs that the SWTOR behind the scenes mechanics were breaking

* All oceanic populations are low

* Server contracts maybe at an end and renew time is coming very soon

* The cost to renew and setup a new server for a fixed term isn't worth it due to the cost of running 1 server can be far more than the intake of what the players provide and who knows if Bioware have been taking a loss on the oceanic servers due to the lack of subs and cartel cash cows.

then the super star Eric Musco comes onto the scene and really he was dumped into a storm. This guy has been getting a lot pushed and more answers than anyone i have seen in the last 12 months I really do feel sorry for the guy having to relay the news that had been made up before he took over from the last guy.

I really want all 3 servers to merge it would be great catching up with some of these RP/PVP guys from the other servers but it was never going to happen and to me it's a shame guess i'll hopefully see some old faces on The Harbinger and also catch up with current friends from the PTS and join them in the crusade to smash out 2.0 content.

So looking back over my last year with the Dalbora Oceanic server it's been a blast and wish all my friends in the oceanic region all the best once they turn off these lights.

So why would merging the apac servers be so bad, make it a pve server, let the people from the pvp server toggle their flag on all the time (bet they dont when leveling, cause being ganked is never fun) let the role players role play ( there is no set rules on the rp server anyway, u can call your toon anything u want) and let us apac people keep our good ping.

Precisely! That's why there IS a toggle PVP flag, and no one's going to be stopping the Roleplayers!

• Mastar Dar’Nala (PvP) will transfer to The Bastion (PvP)
  • Gav Daragon (RP-PvE) will transfer to Begeren Colony (RP-PvE)
  • Dalborra (PvE) will transfer to The Harbinger (PvE)

-eric

What about players who have characters on multple APAC servers, any chance of getting all of them transferred to one server?

Lets face it. Bioware are going to do whatever they want regardless of what the community would like. It is probably cheaper for them to close all the APAC servers. So it comes down to MONEY.

Still, I paid AU dollars for my game and pay a monthly subscription to continue to play it. Now I find that BIOWARE has decided that I can have LAG for free. Unfortunatly I may need to give up my name.

I wonder if I see a Class Action in Bioware's near future?

Edited by Toecuttr
font size

Now I lose my ping, my character names and probably my legacy name. We lose a community that we've spent time building and we have no say in the matter.

I wonder how many Aussies will unsubscribe now? I can think of at least one.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I don't want to play on the NA servers and I feel that EA / Bioware has now done a bait and switch with the service being offered.

Couldn't agree more! They released the game with the promise of APAC servers, we got them. They announced the expansion and opened pre orders under the pretense that our servers would still be there. They have essentially promoted and offered a higher quality service and given us a low quality service by removing the better performing/optimal servers.

How long until the wheels really fall off and they admit they already have a timeline for the game's complete demise?

Edited by PseudoScience

Reading through some of the other threads, I agree. I want a full refund on RotHC as I will not be playing on US servers again. I remember how much better the low latency experience is, especially in PvP and with important interrupts (EG LR-5 in LI HM).

I play the game, I don't scour the forums whinging about server pops and I feel like I had no say in the matter. I would definitely have voted for a merger if I knew there were an option. PVP'ers have the lowest AU server pop, but will be at a significant disadvantage by 1/3 of a second in NA PVP. Nobody would have a problem with RP guilds on PvE servers.

I would just prefer to have our own server(s) like we were promised.

Unless this changes, I see no reason to continue playing the game and I will unsubscribe.