36/3/7 Sharpshooter Guide [UPDATED]

SamuelAU

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fresh from the PTS. 36/4/6. The only good thing coming out of this patch for sharpshooter gunslingers is the change to the vital shot double tick.

http://www.torparse.com/a/547896/time/1389377630/1389377924/0/Damage+Dealt

3396 DPS (1m hp), which isn't TOO horrible but a definite drop. I'll be bringing more data but, notable changes:

1.5s cast time in Sharpshooter

30s cooldown

10 energy

Damage reduced to ~1/3

http://www.torparse.com/a/547916/time/1389378250/1389378682/0/Damage+Dealt

3468 (1.5m hp)

I'm observing an average DPS decrease of approximately 200. One really important thing to note for this parse though is that my crits were beyond crazy lucky.

Edited by Falver

Fresh from the PTS. 36/4/6. The only good thing coming out of this patch for sharpshooter gunslingers is the change to the vital shot double tick.

http://www.torparse.com/a/547896/time/1389377630/1389377924/0/Damage+Dealt

3396 DPS (1m hp), which isn't TOO horrible but a definite drop. I'll be bringing more data but, notable changes:

1.5s cast time in Sharpshooter

30s cooldown

10 energy

Damage reduced to ~1/3

http://www.torparse.com/a/547916/time/1389378250/1389378682/0/Damage+Dealt

3468 (1.5m hp)

I'm observing an average DPS decrease of approximately 200. One really important thing to note for this parse though is that my crits were beyond crazy lucky.

Have you tried 36/3/7? I really don't like 36/4/6 because it messes up the skill tree and only serves to exploit the relics :-\ I jus assume they are going to fix that soon so i've been using 36/4/7 in live.

Have you tried 36/3/7? I really don't like 36/4/6 because it messes up the skill tree and only serves to exploit the relics :-\ I jus assume they are going to fix that soon so i've been using 36/4/7 in live.

Check the changes to the PTS. Mortal wound has been changed. Open wound is now a 2 point talent and Mortal Wound is 1 point.

I finally got the pts downloaded and was still using 36/4/6 when I was testing SS. I think my best parse so far has been about 3550. I think I could push higher once I get fully accustomed to how SS is playing now. Not really thrilled about the change to flyby... :( I guess on the brightside, sub 30% is smoother now that qd costs next to nothing. Edited by mmerry

I finally got the pts downloaded and was still using 36/4/6 when I was testing SS. I think my best parse so far has been about 3550. I think I could push higher once I get fully accustomed to how SS is playing now. Not really thrilled about the change to flyby... :( I guess on the brightside, sub 30% is smoother now that qd costs next to nothing.

You, my friend, may have just given me hope for my Sniper. :D

EDIT: Parse link?

Edited by DieGhostDie

Check the changes to the PTS. Mortal wound has been changed. Open wound is now a 2 point talent and Mortal Wound is 1 point.

I thought you were referring to something else.. my bad

mmery how do you use QD? like claimed's?

Edited by paowee

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Do not click the above link. It is SWTOR referral program fraud.

Also I want to take this time to alert everyone of a forum rule. Due to the possible "trick" nature of using your referral link to trick someone into unintentionally becoming your referral, we are not allowing use of your referral links here on the forums until this issue is resolved. Whether that is being honest about what the link is, or trying to hide it, it will be removed. Any egregious breach of this rule can result in infraction points.

It's math time 3762 parse

http://www.torparse.com/a/590518/time/1392445770/1392446036/0/Overview

Gear reference -> http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/character/caa22c25-2eac-4cef-9f6c-14a053252c3f

0.58% 4 Flurry of Bolts 5773 21.72 1443.25 50%

2.83% 6 Sabotage Charge (Tech) 28297 106.46 4716.17 16.67%

3.42% 18 XS Freighter Flyby 34233 128.79 1901.83 44.44%

4.46% 12 Quickdraw 44592 167.76 3716 50%

10.38% 97 Bleeding (Tech) 103818 390.57 1070.29 38.14%

14.32% 36 Aimed Shot 143190 538.7 3977.5 36.11%

14.59% 68 Charged Burst 145926 548.99 2145.97 38.24%

24.21% 108 Trickshot 242140 910.95 2242.04 29.63%

25.21% 185 Speed Shot 252131 948.54 1362.87 47.57%

Flurry of bolts - 10.86 DPS/activation (2/2 mh crits)

Sabotage charge - 17.743 DPS/activation (1/6 crit)

Flyby - 21.465 DPS/activation (8/18 crits)

Quickdraw - 27.96 DPS/activation (4/6 mh crits)

Vital shot - 22.97 DPS/activation (20/97 Double Ticks)

Aimed shot - 29.93 DPS/activation (10/16 mh crits)!!

Charged burst - 32.29 DPS/2 activations (16/32 mh crits)

Trickshot - 16.87 DPS/activation (18/54 mainhand crits)

SS - Approximately - 30.60 DPS/activation. I'm not going to count the mainhand crits, will probably lose count anyways.

Notable things coming out of this parse: the 36/4/6 spec returns about 50 DPS compared to the 36/4/6 variant pre-2.6 where mortal wound was not a one point talent. Additionally, the 36/8/2 variant is, in all forms, inferior. The flyby damage is so low, about 1900 damage per tick of it at a 44% crit rate, that a 15% boost in that damage would be incredibly marginal. The DPS gain from that is only about 3.3 DPS per activation, which, in the context of this parse, would be equivalent to about 19 DPS, versus the theoretical loss in DPS for vital shot, about (22.97 - (22.97*.8)) = 4.59 DPS per activation, which, mathematically comes down to 78 DPS across the 17 activations.

Furthermore, the math on flyby is as follows, 21.465 DPS per activation vs its supposed rivals on the forums, charged burst (16.15 DPS/activation) and sabotage charge (17.742 DPS per activation). Please note that sabotage charge crit much less than the other two. But, even with general crits, its DPS/activation would be hard pressed to exceed 21. Essentially, what the math is telling us is that in this parse, every activation of flyby INSTEAD of charged burst yielded an additional 5.250 DPS and in the length of the parse extended the DPS by approximately 31. This does not, however, take into account the massive amount of energy management you gain by using flyby. It does not yield as much energy back as using a flurry of bolts but, frankly, its close enough for such a cheap skill.

Lastly, the final part of analysis I want you to note is the quickdraw DPS.

I swapped out 6 trickshots in favor of quickdraw and the DPS gain is (27.96-16.87)*6 = 66.65 DPS gain because of this execute phase.

So, to summarize the math from this parse:

1. The new 36/4/6 version yielded about an extra ~39 DPS for this because of the extra 12.5% tick on vital shot without losing the HoT for double proc'd relics.

2. 36/8/2 would have lost me ~59 DPS +alpha from a) the loss in 2% alacrity and general APM and b) the 1% crit rating which is certainly a reasonable factor.

3. The four piece allows for infinite use of CBx2 -> QD/TS -> AS -> QD/TS -> SS -> QD/TS and, in the long run, increases your DPS each time it is done (about 11 DPS in this parse each time). In SS/MM parses of about equal length before 2.6, about 4~5 quickdraws were feasible at that energy cost so realistically the four piece does not yield THAT much DPS. However, the longer the fight runs, the more valuable the 4pc is.

Edited by Falver

Hey Falver the gear link says that is your sab build. I was just curious if you run the same gear for sab as sharpshooter. The only reason I ask is your apm is around 41 and I cannot get over 37.3 ish in my sharpshooter build. If I throw in some alacrity I can get higher but then I would need more fillers which you don't really seem to have

Hey Falver the gear link says that is your sab build. I was just curious if you run the same gear for sab as sharpshooter. The only reason I ask is your apm is around 41 and I cannot get over 37.3 ish in my sharpshooter build. If I throw in some alacrity I can get higher but then I would need more fillers which you don't really seem to have

Yeah, I don't change out any gear for any spec, too lazy for it. Lower APM usually means you're not hitting the GCD fast enough.

• 3 weeks later...

Great thread, thank you all! It's kind of hard to extract the best current rotation strategy from what's been posted in this thread for me, though - especially since there are lots of other varying approaches to be found elsewhere...

@Falver, do you do something like:

CB - CB - TS/TD - AS - TS/TD - SS - TS/TD (BV - SS - TS/TD)

plus keep Vital Shot up, which is highest priority even against TS?

And due to alacrity and ability Cooldowns sometimes extra GCDs pop up and those are filled in this priority and depending on energy by:

Flyby

SabCharge

Flurry

- Or do you generally keep Flyby on Cooldown, thus delaying basic TS-Rotation? (you're not using it on cooldown, as far as I can tell from your parse).

- Or does SabCharge have its own place in this rotation (you're not using it on Cooldown either, are you?)

- This is probably a stupid question, but if Takedown triggers Trickshot, shouldn't I use Trickshot after every Takedown instead of replacing Trickshot with Takedown Sub 30%? I notice you sometimes do Trickshot + Takedown in a spot where normally Trickshot would be, but sometimes you just do Takedown without Trickshot, i.e. you substitute it. On what basis do you decide which option to chose? And why don't you ever do Trickshot - Takedown - Trickshot? Too much delaying the normal rotation with other strong abilities?

Thanks for clarifying a bit for me, if you would :-)

Edited by Ardarell_Solo

This is probably a stupid question, but if Takedown triggers Trickshot, shouldn't I use Trickshot after every Takedown instead of replacing Trickshot with Takedown Sub 30%? I notice you sometimes do Trickshot + Takedown in a spot where normally Trickshot would be, but sometimes you just do Takedown without Trickshot, i.e. you substitute it. On what basis do you decide which option to chose? And why don't you ever do Trickshot - Takedown - Trickshot? Too much delaying the normal rotation with other strong abilities?

Thanks for clarifying a bit for me, if you would :-)

Trickshot is a big part of the rotation, but it isn't the backbone. Quickdraw (Takedown) has higher base damage than Trickshot and benefits from a larger crit buff to go along with the massive surge bonus. They both cost 5 energy to execute. The main reason for choosing Quickdraw over, what you suggest, Trickshot -> Quickdraw -> Trickshot (i.e. using all your procs) is that prioritizing Quickdraw over Trickshot represents a DPS increase without delaying your regular rotation. Delaying your regular rotation would only do harm, since Aimed Shot and Speed Shots (probably not Charged Burst though) are on average higher damage per activation than Trckshot. The first part of the your question I can't answer since it's specifically directed to Claimed.

On the topic of this guide, not *much* has changed, but with 2.7 looming I feel like I should work on tidying up this guide and reincarnating it for 2.7. I still need to polish my rotation on the dummy first, so the conversation here is good. :)

Along the lines of what SamuelAU is saying about not wanting to delay your main rotation for Trickshot (when sub 30%), I am a little surprised Falver that you have so much success with using Sabotage Charge at places where it will lead to delaying you next Speedshot by a GCD. Sabo charge is less dps than Speedshot or Aimed Shot so I would expect it to be a dps loss if it delays your main rotation. However Falver your dps is really impressive and you seem to use sabo charge in every burst volley window, so maybe there is something to it... Edited by TehMron

Things to understand about Sharpshooter parsing in 2.6:

Not using flyby results in your rotation having about 2~3 seconds of downtime before your burst volley is ready. This, however, does assume that your APM is extremely high (41.08 for that parse). Now, given this fact, you're guaranteed to have two GCDs of filler every 45seconds where your options are: flyby, sabotage charge, or flurry of bolts and, when sub-30%, trickshot.

Now, that means that you're free to use 2 GCDs where ever and whenever you please in the rotation because it'll line up later with BV. If your APM is NOT above 40, then you'll get about 1 GCD and if it isn't higher than 38 then your BV will line up without filler.

The highest priority are as follows:

Flyby, (20~21 DPS)

Sabotage charge, (17~18 DPS)

Trickshot (16~17 DPS)

Flurry of bolts (8~9 DPS)

As for the times in my rotation when I do QD -> TS or TS -> QD it's probably because of energy constrains.

Thanks the three of you, that indeed clarifys what I suspected :-)

Will have to practice now, as I had very much gotten used to Hybrid. But for some fights (i.e. Brontes) it just doesn't work anymore. Before Freighter nerf you could make up for the lack of burst in Hybrid by precasting freighter in certain situations, now I figure Sharpshooter is all in all simply the better option...

Things to understand about Sharpshooter parsing in 2.6:

Not using flyby results in your rotation having about 2~3 seconds of downtime before your burst volley is ready. This, however, does assume that your APM is extremely high (41.08 for that parse). Now, given this fact, you're guaranteed to have two GCDs of filler every 45seconds where your options are: flyby, sabotage charge, or flurry of bolts and, when sub-30%, trickshot.

Now, that means that you're free to use 2 GCDs where ever and whenever you please in the rotation because it'll line up later with BV. If your APM is NOT above 40, then you'll get about 1 GCD and if it isn't higher than 38 then your BV will line up without filler.

The highest priority are as follows:

Flyby, (20~21 DPS)

Sabotage charge, (17~18 DPS)

Trickshot (16~17 DPS)

Flurry of bolts (8~9 DPS)

As for the times in my rotation when I do QD -> TS or TS -> QD it's probably because of energy constrains.

<----- Taking notes.