based keith appreciation thread

yellow_

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suddenly feel a tad nauseous...

I'll jump on the appreciation boat when we

A. See these changes don't completely screw over tanks in pvp by forcing me to go dps to get queues. Im perfectly competent at dpsing but i prefer tanking and have since before 2.0.

B. Make conquest some form of fun again. The silence on the issue is positively deafening.

A. See these changes don't completely screw over tanks in pvp by forcing me to go dps to get queues. Im perfectly competent at dpsing but i prefer tanking and have since before 2.0.

B. Make conquest some form of fun again. The silence on the issue is positively deafening.

A lot of focus has been taken off Conquest, when many of the conquesters have left or are leaving you have little support or push it seems to get any feedback now.

I honestly feel bad Kendra, and always tried to give you some support even though my knowledge on conquest was and is still limited compared to you and many others.

That being said, I can't help but admit I am utterly surprised with the amount of attention they are showering on the PVP facet of swtor. I can't knock them for it, as you know I focus on PVP more than anything else.

I am critical of them, maybe too much sometimes but feel an obligation to give them their kudos when they make attempts to do the right thing and in this situation they seem to really be genuinely invested in improving PVP.

To Keith, Eric, the BW team; thanks for being super-communicative and working on trying to make PVP better.

fixed acid :csw_bluesaber:

acid kills scripters :csw_bluesaber:

I think I missed those, could you clarify or point me at the source of these two?

EDIT: NVM, found it. Not exactly what I asked for but solves the problem just as well :)

EDIT2: Aaaand I got answered before the edit, thanks anyhow :)

Edited by Rafiknoll

I think I missed those, could you clarify or point me at the source of these two?

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=950143

Specifically:

Arenas – There are quite a few places where players can exploit to prevent themselves from dying. We plan to address them and implement ways to penalize those players. Additionally, we wanted to take another look at how the acid mechanics work at the end of Arena matches to see if we can improve that experience for stalemates. Here are our thoughts:

• Characters who hack their way into places they shouldn’t be, such as outside the arena or in the ground, will die.
  • Currently, acid causes characters to take 10% of their max health in damage every second, prevents stealth and all healing.
  • Acid will now work as follows:
    • Characters will take 1% of their max health in damage every second and reduce all healing done/received by 2% per stack.
    • Characters affected by acid will begin with one stack and gain one stack per second.
    • Acid will still inhibit stealth.

This will mean the very end of an Arena match will now get progressively more dangerous. This gives more time for players to fight each other and counterplay, before their inevitable acid death. This should also address cases where stealth characters in particular can just CC and run away to win a match.

Still waiting to see if double heal / double tank is dead in TR, but the current changes are so lit for ranked.
I want to see their thoughts on that as well but seeing as how they're clearly taking the ranked community's complaints on board we should just let them know this would be a more or less universally welcome change for TR (how many people would seriously argue that being able to queue with cancer comps in TR is good for the game?)

if they're making it not possible to queue for regs with cancer comps it ought to be fairly easy to do the same for TR if we can explain to them it's something people want

I'm not sure if it was Keith's or Eric's initiative, but it's surprising to see bioware posts in the pvp forum. (yay)
musco is mainly just a community guy, it's almost certainly Keith Edited by yellow_

I'm wondering this too. If a healer and tank group up, it won't put them in a game unless there's at least one other healer or tank queueing.

I am critical of them, maybe too much sometimes but feel an obligation to give them their kudos when they make attempts to do the right thing and in this situation they seem to really be genuinely invested in improving PVP.

To Keith, Eric, the BW team; thanks for being super-communicative and working on trying to make PVP better.

I second the sentiment. Every change might not be desirable to everyone, but the amount of attention being shown to PVP now I don't think anyone in their wildest dreams would have ever imagined. I can't see it any other way than as a light at the end of the tunnel.

How many times people have said they think Devs don't read the PVP section. How many people have said the game is in maintenance mode?

While there are aspects of some of the changes I don't find to my liking [cross-faction for example], I'm nonetheless very grateful for what the devs are trying to do here. They've made mistakes, 5.0 has been an unmitigated disaster [hello class balance, err lack thereof], but here they are still trying to improve things.

You'd have to be a total A-O not to acknowledge the effort they are showing here. It doesn't make everything fine, it doesn't fix mistakes that were made, but it does show they are not giving up on this game, and that they'll keep plugging away until they get it right. That at least deserves a nod.

The conquest thing and tanking are too big for me to jump on some "omg youre amazing because you read this thread for the first time in 3 years!" Bandwagon.

Call me a jerk, but i need the issues they are still sticking their heads in the sand about, that are very near and dear to me and why i continue to spend my money here, addressed.

Edited by KendraP

matchmaking :csw_bluesaber:

cross faction :csw_bluesaber:

fixed acid :csw_bluesaber:

acid kills scripters :csw_bluesaber:

improved warzone mechanics :csw_bluesaber:

+1 Agree :D

This roadmap and info coming from it is so close to what players have been saying or suggesting for years, that it makes me wonder if they’ve finally given Keith full control.

Last year when he took over, it seemed like they kept one hand tied behind his back and he was getting trapped in the Bioware bureaucracy of doing things the old way.

I think a lot of us thought... “so much for Keith saving us”... “back to the same old Bioware rubbish”

But this seems like a whole new approach. It’s like they’ve finally untied his hands and given boxing gloves. If that’s the case, then yes, I agree 100% that they should have done this years ago. If they had, I can imagine the game would be in a better place.

Last year when he took over, it seemed like they kept one hand tied behind his back and he was getting trapped in the Bioware bureaucracy of doing things the old way.

I think a lot of us thought... “so much for Keith saving us”... “back to the same old Bioware rubbish”

But this seems like a whole new approach. It’s like they’ve finally untied his hands and given boxing gloves. If that’s the case, then yes, I agree 100% that they should have done this years ago. If they had, I can imagine the game would be in a better place.

It seems very plausible to me that when you take over a lead producer job like the one for swtor that you may have quite a large to-do list dropped in your lap that is going to occupy much of your time for at least several months before you can really seriously throw yourself and your rather limited dev team at *your* vision for the game.

it's hard not to think this is a fork in the road, and a good one

Well, we are still missing:

• Cross faction for ranked?
  • Unbalanced starting matches are cancelled (e.g. 4 vs 3 or 8 vs. 6)
  • Queue declining in ranked has no penalty
  • One side has healer/tank while the other does not
  • Lyalas wintrading service is allowed to continue (wintrading in general)
  • A broken elo system because of far too few players
  • A 1 vs. 1 queue...
  • Mat farmers don't belong in ranked
  • No pvp gear
  • No mention of re-balancing the classes (hint: pvp gear could fix much of this)

And they are bound to break something, so lets hold of the champagne just yet.

Well, we are still missing:

• Cross faction for ranked?
  • Unbalanced starting matches are cancelled (e.g. 4 vs 3 or 8 vs. 6)
  • Queue declining in ranked has no penalty
  • One side has healer/tank while the other does not
  • Lyalas wintrading service is allowed to continue (wintrading in general)
  • A broken elo system because of far too few players
  • A 1 vs. 1 queue...
  • Mat farmers don't belong in ranked
  • No pvp gear
  • No mention of re-balancing the classes (hint: pvp gear could fix much of this)

And they are bound to break something, so lets hold of the champagne just yet.

excuse me this is the based keith appreciation thread, not the ignore how surprisingly good the roadmap is and complain about every minor thing thread (that's what musco's thread is for)

please see yourself out

Cross faction for ranked?

We have.

Unbalanced starting matches are cancelled (e.g. 4 vs 3 or 8 vs. 6)

I don't want that. If people who are late by 20 seconds and see a turret already captured would drop the cowardly mentality and start playing, tides will sometimes turn [i do think arenas should wait for 4 on either side though]

Queue declining in ranked has no penalty

If there IS penalty, declining hurts you, if there is NO penalty, declining hurts the other 3 who were intended for you. Either way is problematic. I am not sure if everyone desires changes there.

[*]One side has healer/tank while the other does not

Won plenty of such matches, even hypergates where deaths count the most. One side having ONLY 1 healer or ONLY 1 tank (if there are 1 of each they should be divided) there really is not much of a notable difference.

Lyalas wintrading service is allowed to continue (wintrading in general)

I suggest you mention that name in a thread Eric started, more likely to be noticed. In addition, if you have an idea about a foulproof uncheatable system, I am sure they would love to hear it. It is far simpler to bypass rules than enforce them if it was the other way around, no crime would exist.

A broken elo system because of far too few players

What should they do, make bots to make up for the lack of players? This one isn't a dev issue.

A 1 vs. 1 queue...

Would be lovely, though probably quickly dominated by 1 specific class.

Mat farmers don't belong in ranked

True, I would love to see mats unrestricted to Ranked. Put them in the dailies and weeklies of regs and GSFs too.

No pvp gear

= no need to gear twice if I play both sides of the game. Love it that way. Keep it that way, forever.

No mention of re-balancing the classes (hint: pvp gear could fix much of this)

20 things at a time, not 200. They took a great step in the right direction. More simultaneous changes mean more unpredictable flaws, bugs, and problems. I rather they cap the number of changes per patch. Class balance can come a bit later. As for the hint, it is a nice idea to consider the SAME gear having different set bonus effects in PVP, without the need to add another type of gear.

And they are bound to break something

And are bound to fix it later, like any other programmer ever, the question is how terrible will the breaking be and how delayed will the fixing be. Given the sudden waterfall of "feedback to feedback" from the devs, I afford to be hopeful about faster response time in fixing bugs in the future.

excuse me this is the based keith appreciation thread, not the ignore how surprisingly good the roadmap is and complain about every minor thing thread (that's what musco's thread is for)

please see yourself out

Yeah chastise me for trying to point of how much is still missing. This update is obviously our one and only chance to get anything done for PVP.

I have my concerns with the amount of changes taking place seemingly all at once [or rather in quick succession]. I do agree with Lun, they are bound to break something in the process and probably more than just one thing given the amount of changes they are talking about. Let's face it, BW has shown some aptitude for breaking things that weren't broken in the first place. PTS in this case should be utilized.

The attention being given to PVP is wonderful, but I can't say that people shouldn't still have other concerns about other aspects of the game, or even other aspects in PVP, that these changes have no effect on and where changes may very well be called for [Conquest, class balance, Ranked i.e.]

You can acknowledge a positive without negating a negative's importance. I hate how badly they messed with class balance, how they just can't admit that the strategy they used and based class balance on is inherently flawed and just keeps getting worse and worse. Sometimes it's necessary, but sometimes it isn't, in this case it was only necessary for two classes, but that's not how it played out.

Conquest, class balance, cheating, broken elo, there are so many things that remain problematic and of concern, there's no disputing that and just because some good attention is being shown to PVP finally it doesn't make those other issues go away or be any less concerning. What's of importance to us isn't the same with every player, and that in and of itself makes improvements not always viewed as such. No ones concerns are invalid, and certainly they remain important no matter what's going on in some other aspect of the game.

There is room for both here, excitement and hopefulness for some changes in PVP and the possibilities it may bring while at the same time not losing sight of the importance of those other areas of concern.

There will always be someone or some thing getting the short end of the stick in all areas of the game to some degree, just a question of who's turn it is and how long it lasts. Sucks when it's your turn. Sometimes we just gotta hold on a bit longer because we never know what tomorrow will bring today.

Edited by WayOfTheWarriorx

I'll jump on the bandwagon if he realizes hinder is stupid and will suck all the fun out of Huttball, because as it stands hinder will void all of those other good changes and we'll be back at square one.

Also what Grim said about nothing getting broken in the process(which is likely).

Edited by Stncold

It seems very plausible to me that when you take over a lead producer job like the one for swtor that you may have quite a large to-do list dropped in your lap that is going to occupy much of your time for at least several months before you can really seriously throw yourself and your rather limited dev team at *your* vision for the game.

^^ Lundorff read ^^

Yeah chastise me for trying to point of how much is still missing. This update is obviously our one and only chance to get anything done for PVP.

It's not the one and only chance. Small changes have been happening since Keith took over and this is by far the biggest change in quite some time. There have been so many things wrong with PVP for so long, they can't possibly correct every single issue at once, Baby steps. So far what is planned appears to be very positive. Stop acting like an entitled ingrate.

Sincerely;

The Hypocrite

Yeah,

I appreciate that after you had let the dev team destroy all the pvp enjoyment with nerfs and more nerfs, you will finally throw us some crumbs. Great.

Yeah, going to come in handy those changes, I'm sure of it.

After that, you just have to fix the fking game and everything should be fine.