Can we have a PVP map like Alterac Valley in WOW?

adiwantinova

Title says it all.

For those that are unaware of what this concept is, there is basically a siege map, with ~40 vs 40, one defending, one attacking. There are "towers" on the way to the stronghold that must be flipped. NPCs can help defend. Attackers must flip towers before advancing.

No end time (once captured, a new one starts). Players can go into/out of the instance when available/time commitment changes, and new people loading in are joined to the one active game that is going on.

I think they tried to do this with Ilum, but the problem was there was no instances population cap for this game (which, lets admit it, isn't optimized for large open world pvp battles due to the way it's processing particle animations, and rendering character models).

Something like this could be amazing in the SW genre. I see planetary invasions, boarding a capital ship / storming the bridge, or a crew that is overrunning an orbital station as story lines. Mechanics are the same, different maps, same population caps.

Allow people to queue up like standard WZ's now (4-man groups) to await the queues. Also, rewards can included a weekly (complete the siege, or defend against the seige for _____ minutes against attacking forces) that rewards ranked/unranked commendations.

Game changer.

Alterac Valley is a PvE map. The players just run past each other and go to the opposing side's castle to fight AI-controlled enemies.

That's how it is now- once upon a time it played in a very different way... and was imo the best pvp I've ever had.

It was like a mini RvR map where the battle lasted 2 days regularly- it was amazing.

The original av was awesome summoning elites from looting mats from player corpses

Even in its present day form its still fun rushing the boss takes gear and bad opponents

There are several choke points that Can stop the Zerg

Ilum needs to be revamped to this or somthing like wintergrasp

Edited by denpic

Alterac Valley is a PvE map. The players just run past each other and go to the opposing side's castle to fight AI-controlled enemies.

I seem to recall significant pvp (with ai help) at the bridge in the north. there are a few bottlenecks where pvp occurs. but yes, it does tend to boil down to a world boss fight scenario. at least as I recall. it's been a couple years.

^^ says it all.

rofl. well said.:cool:

I think the engines been improved since the slide show of ilum

At the release of the hk vendor in tat we have had several large scale battles easily reaching 30-40 players

And the game handles it fine

I could get on board with this but I would say ditch the NPC's. I don't PvP to complete raid content just like I don't raid to complete PvP content.

Agreed. I loved AV in it's original incarnation, it was so much fun. I remember getting stuck in a back and forth battle up at the Stormpike Keep bridge with the Horde. We'd push them back to Graveyard, then they'd push us back to the towers and it went on and on like that for hours, but I can't remember having more fun in PvP then that. I'd play more PvP if there was something like this in TOR, even if it was Open World.

Didn't used to be man. I used to get stuck in for over 8 hours in that son of a *****.

Although the game can handle an Op vs. Op (It would have to be 24vs24), I'd rather they implant more Warzones, even if they just have to reskin the ones from WarHammer (launched with around 18 different RvR Scenarios).

Edited by RazielHex

A larger scale battle like AV - plus the ability to choose which warzone you're queuing for - would make a lot of complaints go away, I think. Much less chance of getting singled out as someone in recruit gear in the middle of a huge battle like that, IMO. It's a lot more "brand new to PvP" friendly.

Plus I liked AV before it was so much of a zerg. A lot.

Stopped reading after 40v40.

Engine cannot handle that many people at one time in such a small place.

ROFL yeah i did the same exact thing.

What I would really like to see, is people STOP trying to put WoW into this game. Its already a failed clone. And it failed BECAUSE its a clone. WoW is horrible. Don't bring more WoW to this game. People will then only compair it to wow, and criticize its shortcomings and hate it anyway.

This game needs to move to Open World PVP styles like SWG and player/community driven content.

Edited by SOULCASTER

ROFL yeah i did the same exact thing.

What I would really like to see, is people STOP trying to put WoW into this game. Its already a failed clone. And it failed BECAUSE its a clone. WoW is horrible. Don't bring more WoW to this game. People will then only compair it to wow, and criticize its shortcomings and hate it anyway.

This game needs to move to Open World PVP styles like SWG and player/community driven content.

At that point, I laughed. The irony was too much.

Yeah, there are no new ideas, just reskinned versions of the best ones.

An AV type of map wouldn't be cloning WOW. It would be stepping towards large scale pvp.

I'll tell you this right now. In every other MMO I've ever played, I've never been forced to just sit in one spot awaiting queue timers to pop. What the heck is this game doing? Give us incentive to e in combat at all times if we so choose. This would do that.

In SWG they implemented bases, which centralized pvp efforts.

In wow, there was open world fights here or there, but mostly centralized it into WZ's (at least when I played during "vanilla") and Alterac Valley was by far the most fun WZ type in that game because like SWG -- it was a massive pvp mosh pit, that hovered around objectives, but was an infrastructure that could be more inclusive of larger guilds that wanted to play together.

What a waste this games seems to be for hardcore PVP'ers. Lets all stand around the fleet waiting until a queue pops, then only 4 of us can go in (8-if ranked) to a 10-15 minute battle. Rinse/repeat.

Surely SW is big enough to support far more than that. Maybe I should've rolled on a pvp server. But on the shadowlands ... It's annoying to not be doing something 25-35% of the time.

Yeah, there are no new ideas, just reskinned versions of the best ones.

An AV type of map wouldn't be cloning WOW. It would be stepping towards large scale pvp.

I'll tell you this right now. In every other MMO I've ever played, I've never been forced to just sit in one spot awaiting queue timers to pop. What the heck is this game doing? Give us incentive to e in combat at all times if we so choose. This would do that.

In SWG they implemented bases, which centralized pvp efforts.

In wow, there was open world fights here or there, but mostly centralized it into WZ's (at least when I played during "vanilla") and Alterac Valley was by far the most fun WZ type in that game because like SWG -- it was a massive pvp mosh pit, that hovered around objectives, but was an infrastructure that could be more inclusive of larger guilds that wanted to play together.

What a waste this games seems to be for hardcore PVP'ers. Lets all stand around the fleet waiting until a queue pops, then only 4 of us can go in (8-if ranked) to a 10-15 minute battle. Rinse/repeat.

Surely SW is big enough to support far more than that. Maybe I should've rolled on a pvp server. But on the shadowlands ... It's annoying to not be doing something 25-35% of the time.

Just flag yourself for pvp and roll around section x.

Alterac Valley is that way now, but it wasn't always. I remember huge battles where summoning Lok or whatever the Alliance equivalent is was needed to turn the tides.