Unassembled component absurdity

varietasplus

FYI this is a PVP only (or mostly PVP) approach, PVE content does not apply.

Correct me if I am wrong, but once you hit CXP rank 300 and you start getting tier 4 crates, you no longer have a chance for tier 1-3 legendary drops.

Now, problem is, you can only upgrade legenday items. While tier 4 items are considered BiS, sometimes you would still make a better use of a legenday tier 3 item than a prototype or purple tier 4, because you could upgrade your tier 3 into a tier 4, but you can not upgrade your blue/purple tier 4 to legendary.

So, the more tier 1-3 legendary items you loot on the way to CXP 300, the luckier you are, for the less unassembled components you need to get a BiS item. Once you hit CXP 300, you can hardly make any use of UC, because you have to start exchanging pieces starting from tier 2 and you need 774 u.c. to get a tier 4 legenday main hand weapon or 675 for a major body piece.

This issue should be resolved by either tier 4 crates droping legendary tier 3 items or disintegrating tier 4 items should grant considerable UC.

Edited by varietasplus

Yes to everything, spot on. I have recently posted almost the same: http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=9418328&postcount=29

Caveat: The drop rate of 248 is not completely terrible. On my latest toon I managed to get some 13 level 248 pieces and I was able to use 7 or 8 of them directly. This was in about 120 Tier 4 crates. Obviously this will yield diminishing results the more pieces you acquire, but grinding some 150 - 200 Tier 4 crates seems to be faster than going full UCs on new toons.

Well you are right ofc. I have leveled 5 toons in the last double cxp week (with daily bug) to rank 300 and I have to say all of them have enough 242s on them to get them full 248s, I just have to do PVP on all, which is very very time consuming and Im not really going to do it.

Anyway, you know what the Devs said, the components should be an "alternative" way to get to your specific gear piece. In other words, you have to buy it from 236 up. So if you want that 1-2 missing pieces (giggles) you need to buy a 236 piece, upgrade to 242 and then to 248, wasting around 750 components. I think this was the original idea after you are missing pieces and have reached rank 300.

This is why, while i didn't really want to, joined some EV, KP and TfB hm raids to get some 242s. This way the 248s are much more affordable, but for head and pants unfortunately i had to go the 236 upgrade route. Quite a grind and while i wasn't very lucky with the abundance of 248 drops, at least i didn't get duplicates. Although from now on, as i am in full 248, i don't mind duplicates anymore.

Reason #0493275602348567230498675234097852345798 why CXP is terrible.

It's reason number #0493275602348567230498675234097852345799 actually. The number you said is that new players when they come to swtor and see that they need to farm up to 700 cxp lvl (yeah, eventually it will be 700+ sooner or later) such new players will leave the game in trembling fear lel.

Edited by omaan

This is why, while i didn't really want to, joined some EV, KP and TfB hm raids to get some 242s. This way the 248s are much more affordable, but for head and pants unfortunately i had to go the 236 upgrade route. Quite a grind and while i wasn't very lucky with the abundance of 248 drops, at least i didn't get duplicates. Although from now on, as i am in full 248, i don't mind duplicates anymore.
not excusing how idiotic the cxp gearing is, but this right here is good advice

many HM raids are really not difficult with competent players and getting 242 drops that you can directly turn into 248s with components *massively* increases how quickly you can gear up

I wouldn't have nearly as much gear as I do if not for this tactic.