How do I "up" my PVP warzone game?

hunterraaze

Currently, I am a level 27 Merc, all of skill points are in the Arsenal branch. I do terrible in Warzones. My average K/D is 12/7. I only get three medals per match. I can't really tell what I am doing wrong. When ever I play, I try to act as a ranged support/damage dealer, no healing. I do ok, until an enemy starts attacking me. I loose to level 10's. 1 on 1. My gear is from Dromund kaas, except a pistol I picked up on Balmorra. So is it my class? does the merc not go well with my play style? Is the sniper a better option? Or is it my gear? I'm saving up my commendations for some PVP gear. Or do I just suck? If so, how can I "up" my PVP warzone game?

Currently, I am a level 27 Merc, all of skill points are in the Arsenal branch. I do terrible in Warzones. My average K/D is 12/7. I only get three medals per match. I can't really tell what I am doing wrong. When ever I play, I try to act as a ranged support/damage dealer, no healing. I do ok, until an enemy starts attacking me. I loose to level 10's. 1 on 1. My gear is from Dromund kaas, except a pistol I picked up on Balmorra. So is it my class? does the merc not go well with my play style? Is the sniper a better option? Or is it my gear? I'm saving up my commendations for some PVP gear. Or do I just suck? If so, how can I "up" my PVP warzone game?

Gear is everything. Well most everything. Do some falshpoints gets some good gear for your level, and all of a sudden you will drop people like flies. After that learn to counter others, read up on their skills and abilities, most of pvp is anticipating what the other class will do. Also PvE can be a good place to practice pure dps rotations but often fail to train you for the dynamics of PvP. Sometimes just playing lots of wz's teaches you to get better with your class. Not only figuring your own class out, but seeing what other classes are doing. Is there any particular class your having trouble against? Also it's important to remember if the rest of your team sucks, your going to suck by default, and a lot of the time pugging in wz's is a random event.

Also you are right. Just roll a sniper. They are the secret FOTM right now, even if everyone is ************ about PT's and Maras, snipers really are deadly atm.

Really? Why is the Pyro better? Just wondering.

I cant say for sure cause outside of level 10 to 15 I have only played a Pyro spec on my merc and Ive never been tempted go back and play any other spec cause its so much fun so i would give it a try.

Arsenal requires you to be a sitting duck since Tracer Missile is your main attack and it's a cast attack (Which also means someone who's smart will interrupt it, thus temporarily putting it out of commission). Pyro, however, allows you to keep moving and holds much higher damage burst-wise as well. The only real downside is heat management. It's tougher to manage heat in Pyro spec than Arsenal. That's the gist of it anyways.

Edited by Ardim

Arsenal is basically a turret spec. You are stuck with no mobility and almost zero ways to counter a melee class. The spec relies way too much on one ability. Pyro on the other hand can be very mobile when it needs to be. Not as ideally mobile as a powertech pyro, but it's definitely better than being in arsenal. DPS wise they are really about the same, but the benefit of dots and actually being able to slow melee as you run and fire rapid shots in pyro spec far outweighs arsenal imo. That and 70% proc for rail shot is just awesome. Nothing is more funny than getting a railshot proc and firing it while a sentinel is mid leap and killing them.

It's all about practice. Keep on queuing and when you get a chance look for some of the pvp videos for your class(and really just any good pvp videos, since they all show good strategies and tactics).

DPS numbers increase the more 'uptime' you get. Most likely you have a poor uptime is because you dont run with a pocket healer and queue solo. You'll learn to adapt to the settings over time, instead of just running in guns blazing(even though zerging is sometime a useful tactic).

It's all about practice though, you'll see yourself do better when you do certain things and then you'll adapt and learn.

Wow you have a lot to "up" at this point. IMO from your post this is percentage that I think is affecting your PvPing.

1. Gear - 60%

2. rotation - 20%

3. You "suck" at PvP - 20% (not trolling just read on)

Gear

Currently the main thing that is affecting you in pvp is your gear hands down. Having gear around your level is vital, if everything you have on is from DK (lv. 10-16 zone) except for your weapons which are from Balmoraa (lv.16-20 zone) and you're level 27?!?! What have you been doing, selling everything??? Currently this is what is hindering you from doing anything in pvp, this also explains why level 10's are able to beat you so easily. Right now you should be on equiping every gear that is around your level you find, don't worry about getting the pvp gear, it really isn't worth it until you buy your level 40 gear.

What you should be currently doing is getting yourself geared, period!

Rotation

Once you're geared rotation is also an important aspect as this help you utilize your class as close as you can to it's complete potential. Gear alone will help you get those 3 medals but rotation will turn those 3 medals into 8+ medals. The key is knowing your role and to focus only on that (besides objectives). You want to play as dps then find a rotation that can maximize your dps output depending on your spec. If you're playing arsenal then a lot of your skills are heavy hitters with AoE so try to target as many enemies as possible to maximize your damage but also you generate a lot of heat so don't spam all your abilities at once or you'll be dead in the water.

You "suck" at PvP

Here's the bottom line, you suck at pvp but hey there is good news, you can improve! Skill comes with practice but that doesn't mean you'll benefit from just doing hours of pvping. Any good athlete's know that when you practice (here's the key) with proper form then you'll improve your game. Practicing without proper form will get you no where other then you just wasted hours on it. Ask fellow mercs on what they do in pvp when it comes to gear, rotation, and how they play in the different pvp matches. There is a lot of good data and idea's out there, just ask around. Also try to find a guild with other higher level mercs that do well and do group pvp so you can see what/how they do.