Force Lightning

VitalityPrime

How is this supposed to be viewed?

Going off the movies...it seemed like Force Lightning was an increadibly powerful ability used only by the emperor.

(granted, those were older movies, so I can understand force abilities being limited for it)

However, in SWTOR, force lightning seems to be nothing more than just another way for someone to use the force...not really being better overall than other force abilities.

I personally like it that way...but it is hard to shake the image of only the emperor being able to use it.

How is this supposed to be viewed?

Going off the movies...it seemed like Force Lightning was an increadibly powerful ability used only by the emperor.

(granted, those were older movies, so I can understand force abilities being limited for it)

However, in SWTOR, force lightning seems to be nothing more than just another way for someone to use the force...not really being better overall than other force abilities.

I personally like it that way...but it is hard to shake the image of only the emperor being able to use it.

if the extent of your star wars knowledge is only seeing ep. IV V VI then ok. i get you. However if you u live in the future like the rest of us you should be well aware that most of the noteworthy sith (and several jedi) learned that ability. If anything it's "exclusiveness" to Sidious should have at least been discredited if you played KOTOR I & II

if the extent of your star wars knowledge is only seeing ep. IV V VI then ok. i get you. However if you u live in the future like the rest of us you should be well aware that most of the noteworthy sith (and several jedi) learned that ability. If anything it's "exclusiveness" to Sidious should have at least been discredited if you played KOTOR I & II

My point was...is it still supposed to be a more powerful force ability, even though others have learned it...or is it simply to be viewed as just another force ability in line with the rest?

For instance...Jaesa can shoot force lightning...but I doubt you can say she is more powerful with the force than the Warrior.

Edited by VitalityPrime

My point was...is it still supposed to be a more powerful force ability, even though others have learned it...or is it simply to be viewed as just another force ability in line with the rest?

For instance...Jaesa can shoot force lightning...but I doubt you can say she is more powerful with the force than the Warrior.

It's just another Force ability, but it is powerful, the power varies on the user.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

yes it's still considered a very powerful dark side ability. Out ranking it would be force storm and Dark transfer. Obviously in an MMO they will downplay all these abilities a little but as i keep saying, game mechanics and lore don't always directly translate. None of the characters we create are nearly as bad-asz as the game tries to make us feel.

Its not like there were many force-users to try. Besides, theres been at least 3 people capable of force lightning in the movies. Palpatine, Dooku and Yoda.

Edited by Karkais

Palpatine was suppose to be the only one being in SW to use Force Lighting, it was suppose to show just how powerful he really was, but that was changed.

Now it's just a general ability any sith(among others) above average can use.

Edited by Kaedusz

None of the characters we create are nearly as bad-asz as the game tries to make us feel.

Actually, I have a feeling than once SWTOR is finished (shuts-down) there will be enough story and power in at least the Jedi Knight and Sith Warrior (perhaps the Inquisitor and Consular) and canon feats of strength (like defeating the Emperor) for them to be placed on a level of some of the more powerful Jedi/Sith in lore.

Vitiate is getting handled pretty well by the JK and he's credited as one of the more powerful sith in lore.

The Warrior is killing Sith & Jedi left and right.

Not to mention, if we go by DS options the BH story is a total ******, killing no fewer than 2 powerful force users.

The issue is there is no solidly defined character so all the choices in the game are still in flux. We don't know the canon version, so we can only assume that the common threads through each story are the canon right now. Once they release an official story, we'll know more about just how powerful they are.

Oh, and wolf is right imo OP.

I thought Force Lightning was a Dark Side power, used mostly by strong Sith. I don't follow the comics, cartoons, nor do I follow Episodes 1, 2, & 3. I pretend Episodes 1-3 never happened. They're not canon in my mind.

Well in that case this game isn't canon either :p

Edited by cs_zoltan

I thought Force Lightning was a Dark Side power, used mostly by strong Sith. I don't follow the comics, cartoons, nor do I follow Episodes 1, 2, & 3. I pretend Episodes 1-3 never happened. They're not canon in my mind.

Hi, welcome to the Star Wars Discussion Forum you must be new here! It's nice to meet you. I'd like to personally extend a warm welcome and invite you to join all out fun and informative threads.

Now please, just be advised that we only accept (for the purpose of most discussions of course :)) anything NOT related to this game (lore or otherwise :D) or from 4-6 of the movies. Why you might ask? Well sir, it is quite simple. It just isn't cannon in our mind. Now I know that sounds kinda weird for a Star Wars Discussion Forum to ignore major parts of the entire franchise but hey we didn't like it.

Anyways, have fun! :cool:

Edited by StarSquirrel

Hi, welcome to the Star Wars Discussion Forum you must be new here! It's nice to meet you. I'd like to personally extend a warm welcome and invite you to join all out fun and informative threads.

Now please, just be advised that we only accept (for the purpose of most discussions of course :)) anything NOT related to this game (lore or otherwise :D) or from 4-6 of the movies. Why you might ask? Well sir, it is quite simple. It just isn't cannon in our mind. Now I know that sounds kinda weird for a Star Wars Discussion Forum to ignore major parts of the entire franchise but hey we didn't like it.

Anyways, have fun! :cool:

What you said didn't make sense. Are you saying you don't consider SWTOR and Eps 4-6 cannon ? Why not Eps' 4-6?

What you said didn't make sense. Are you saying you don't consider SWTOR and Eps 4-6 cannon ? Why not Eps' 4-6?

We pretend they didn't happen of course! :cool: I know, sound silly right? But its up to us to pick and chose canon right? Its not like that's Leland Chee or Lucas's job...

Then you've been limiting yourself. But to answer your question, yes it's a power that's fueled by strong emotions and generally used by "darkside force users" but several Jedi have used the ability including Luke Skywalker. According to the "Potentium", the potential for light and dark sides resided in the user, not the Force itself. The Jedi are merely afraid to explore the full potential of the Force. That's why you rarely hear about Jedi using it.

The Jedi are merely afraid to explore the full potential of the Force. That's why you rarely hear about Jedi using it.

Not afraid, just aware of the danger it presents.

Kinda like knowing that jumping in front of a semi going 70 mph will kill you. As long as I'm not playing around on the interstate I'm cool and not really "afraid".

Same as knowing that use of DS powers can cause you to fall to the Dark Side (or are a manifestation of the fact you've already fallen). As long as I'm not force choking, electrocuting people, or screwing around with the dark side I'm cool and not really "afraid"

Oh, and the "Full Potential" of the force is hardly the Dark Side. It is but one facet, and a rather corrupted and self-destructive one at that.

Not afraid, just aware of the danger it presents.

Kinda like knowing that jumping in front of a semi going 70 mph will kill you. As long as I'm not playing around on the interstate I'm cool and not really "afraid".

Same as knowing that use of DS powers can cause you to fall to the Dark Side (or are a manifestation of the fact you've already fallen). As long as I'm not force choking, electrocuting people, or screwing around with the dark side I'm cool and not really "afraid"

Oh, and the "Full Potential" of the force is hardly the Dark Side. It is but one facet, and a rather corrupted and self-destructive one at that.

And THAT is the fundamental problem with Jedi teachings. To use your example a Jedi will not only avoid jumping in front of that truck doing 70mph on the interstate. They'll avoid the interstate all together because of what "might happen". That's "doubt"....the same thing that caused Luke to fail to lift that X-wing. A Sith would jump in front of that truck and think his presence alone will stop the truck. That's arrogance as equally destructive emotion. But the (let's say) grey Jedi won't be afraid, doubtful,or arrogant because he realizes that "yes there is danger in hopping in front of a truck, but I'm in a car doing 80mph so it's not really as dangerous as it seems." Rather than hiding, suppressing, and trying to ignore emotions....one should realize that emotions are part of what makes us human. There's ONLY the force...any darkness comes from US.