'New' Species/Race Suggestion

SGTIchigo

I've played SWTOR for a while now. But one thing has always slightly made me a bit sad about the game; I've always wanted to play as a Trandoshan. I would like to see a trandoshan species in the game, although it would be great if the dialogue of it wasnt english; but its own language. I think this would be pretty good for the next update.

• 3 weeks later...

Trandoshan and Wookies. The devs need to give up this false notion that players won't be attached to characters that don't look human. Years and years of SWRPG experiences have shown us that players love playing big aliens at times.

Voss would be cool, but has storyline issues. If they did Voss, I bet it would be somehow something like this game's version of Death Knight, as in it would start at level 55 and be done with Corellia already.

The list of desired species can go on and on (Nautolan, Kel Dor, Bothan, Togruta, Jawa even). The trick is: how much time would it take to program them so that they appear correctly in gear and so that the environment responds correctly to them versus the amount they could make off the species on the CM.

Which is the real reason I think we see this "near-human only" policy. It'd be too involved, otherwise. Which makes me sad. I was always a big fan of the Togorian.

Trandoshan and Wookies. The devs need to give up this false notion that players won't be attached to characters that don't look human. Years and years of SWRPG experiences have shown us that players love playing big aliens at times.

Voss would be cool, but has storyline issues. If they did Voss, I bet it would be somehow something like this game's version of Death Knight, as in it would start at level 55 and be done with Corellia already.

The list of desired species can go on and on (Nautolan, Kel Dor, Bothan, Togruta, Jawa even). The trick is: how much time would it take to program them so that they appear correctly in gear and so that the environment responds correctly to them versus the amount they could make off the species on the CM.

Which is the real reason I think we see this "near-human only" policy. It'd be too involved, otherwise. Which makes me sad. I was always a big fan of the Togorian.

Storyline issues went out the door when they let us be Sith Pureblood Jedi.

I agree with you on this notion. I'm actually writing a Suggestion Drop-Box devoted entirely to new races. Once the thread is up, you can post your thoughts there.

Yeah cause EVERY SINGLE Sith Pureblood hates the Republic :rolleyes: There aren't that many storyline issues with a Sith Pureblood Jedi, there are more problems with having a Chiss Sith Inquisitor then there are having Sith Pureblood Republic Classes. And with the Voss, it is more of a continuity problem

Edited by Altyrell

Yeah cause EVERY SINGLE Sith Pureblood hates the Republic :rolleyes: There aren't that many storyline issues with a Sith Pureblood Jedi, there are more problems with having a Chiss Sith Inquisitor then there are having Sith Pureblood Republic Classes. And with the Voss, it is more of a continuity problem

I recall some of the comics suggesting that the non-Force Using Sith Pureblood were a slave caste. And it was never stated when Tulak Hord and Kallig live/died in game, except long, long ago, and so that's how a Force Using family got shunned and forced into slavery.

But that does require some knowledge of non-game stated backstory/lore. And who wants to read old star wars comics these days when it's all not canon now? *eye roll*

Play the Jedi Knight Story line.

You can get one to defect.

Not so silly now, is it?

there are more problems with having a Chiss Sith Inquisitor

Chiss aren't cut off from the Force, Force-users of their kind are just extremely rare. I'm pretty sure there was a Chiss Dark Jedi at some point.

This game breaks lore by the number of Chiss Force-users running around, not that they exist.

And who wants to read old star wars comics these days when it's all not canon now? *eye roll*

Salting the wounds dude. Salting the wounds.

My suggestions, from another thread:

Sentient Droid (just because I saw this as a class suggestion but race works better)-obviously not available for Force classes, comes with built-in modulation to make the VO's robotic sounding. Though romance might also be... problematic. Might also necessitate the creation of droid armor that also modifies appearance.

Kel-dor- already in game

Falleen- green humanoid, slight reptilian features. Some type of pheromone-based racial ability

Zeltron- red/pink humanoids. Some type of pheromone/empath racial ability

Cerean (think Ki Adi Mundi) surprised there's not even NPC Cereans

Chagrian -already in game

Torgruta -already in game

Or how about shapeshifters like Shi'ido or Clawdites? Probably too hard to make their abilities functional but still...

Realistically new races would need to a) be humanoid (the closer the better to make use of existing hair/face customizations) b) canonically speak or be able to speak Basic (and don't give me no Disney canon talk) and c) preferably already be modeled in-game.

C is probably not a deal-breaker but it'd be harder to get new races not previously rendered, especially if it's not an easy reskin of currently existing models.

Wookies are out because all of them growl and while you could replace all VOs with stock wookie roars, I'm sure it'd get old real fast. And Voss would be cool but would present too many issues with current VOs, backstories and Voss specific stories.

Chiss aren't cut off from the Force, Force-users of their kind are just extremely rare. I'm pretty sure there was a Chiss Dark Jedi at some point.

This game breaks lore by the number of Chiss Force-users running around, not that they exist.

My problem with Chiss Sith Inquisitors in thsi game is that the SI's start as Slaves, however the Chiss are partnered with the Sith, they [Chiss] weren't enslaved by the Sith Empire

Being a Chiss Inquisitor, a Mirialan Warrior, etc are all the more reasons to allow the Voss be playable. Frankly, they don't have to justify anything lore wise. All it ever takes is one character before people say "Well, HE was one!"

And there has been a Chiss Jedi in the comics, for the record.

Being a Chiss Inquisitor, a Mirialan Warrior, etc are all the more reasons to allow the Voss be playable. Frankly, they don't have to justify anything lore wise. All it ever takes is one character before people say "Well, HE was one!"

And there has been a Chiss Jedi in the comics, for the record.

Chiss do not feature as prominently in class and planetary stories (we don't got to Csilla for example) and their culture and general world perspective is not as far removed from "the norm" as that of the Voss. So it wouldn't be the same. I think Voss are fundamentally incompatible with the classes as the characters, and to some extent their stories, are written

For the record I don't think Chiss really make sense in the game at all as they're a completely isolationist society that doesn't know **** about the Republic in Thrawn's age. Except now apparently they fought them three thousand years ago. I also question the Ascendency allying with the Empire for the same isolationist thinking (as well as their non-aggression policies). You can make it work (and the appeal of playing a Chiss is undeniable), but at first glance it really sticks out. Regardless I don't think the gap can be bridged the same way with the Voss. Though I'd love to see more of them.

Really, there's two sides to this:

1. Does it make sense lore wise?

2. Is there demand for it?

You make good points for the first.

But the second overrides number one if they think they can make money on it.

They're not going to completely ignore lore for a quick buck, especially not when they can make quick bucks on plenty of other even more trivial things, like decorations.

• 2 weeks later...