Time To Vote For Your Sorcerer Class Representative!

EricMusco

Who should be your Sorcerer Class Representative?  

415 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be your Sorcerer Class Representative?

• Nibbon
    • FrumpytheClown
    • Psirebral

• Dev Post

Hey everyone!

Based on the nominations that many of you made in your nominations thread, the poll above highlights the top possible candidates to be your Class Representative. This poll will run until Monday, July 29th. At that point whoever has won the poll will be your new Class Representative! Around that time I will also post the schedule for each AC on when they will be submitting their top 3.

As a note, if for some reason you do not see someone who was nominated in the above poll it could be for a few reasons:

• They declined the nomination.
  • They never responded to the PM to confirm interest.
  • They were never contacted as only the candidates who appeared to have a few nominations were reached out to.
  • They have a forum account which is suspended.

Again, please vote in the poll above by Monday, July 29th. Good luck everyone!

-eric

I would say that the best option here IMO would be to vote psi since nibbon seems to be winning sage by a fair margin this way sorc/sage can have both a pve and pvp based representative :)

My problem with psi is he doesn't seem to think sorcs have problems which are plainly obvious.

I've only seen a few like AdmiralParmesan actually tell it how it is for sorcs in PvP, and he ain't on the list. :(

Whatever dude. Don't come complaining when some sniper or marauder rolls you because the rep you want didn't raise legitimate concerns the class has.

I'm sorry but as long as LoS is in play, a sniper isn't a problem for any class in this game and if you're face tanking a sniper then you're doing it wrong and your point is now null and void.

I'm sorry but as long as LoS is in play, a sniper isn't a problem for any class in this game and if you're face tanking a sniper then you're doing it wrong and your point is now null and void.

If you have to start a rebuttal with a condition (ie LoS), then the original point still stands. And who is talking about face tanking a sniper here?

The lack of anything to say regarding marauders, is telling in it's own right.

Marauders are an issue yes, also LoS is a part of the game so it has every right to be used as a condition. As far as face tanking snipers, if we did rule out LoS then that means you're face tanking them. Don't get me wrong though, there are plenty of issues with this class and there are plenty of other ACs that are extremely scary to go up against like the AP PT or Marauder.

I also believe that a lot of people blow this class' lack of survivability way out of proportion. Among most ACs this is one of the harder classes to kill when played correctly whether in heals or dps spec. Now I imagine the "what if more people jump in" card will be played but as with any class, add in one more enemy and they will likely die or at the very least be pressured so much that they can't perform their job as well as they could (scoundrel healers might be an exception). An example of this is lightning, if 1-2 people who know how to interrupt jump on the sorc he is likely to get little to no damage out while attempting to re-position.

Long story short is it comes down to understanding the class, using the environment, ability priority, what you can and cannot do against certain classes, the list goes on forever. We have issues with many ACs just as they have issues with us and to think that I believe our class is perfect is completely incorrect. What I think is that most of the gripes on the forums comes from a general lack of knowledge of the class itself or other classes.

Edited by Psirebral

I'm a long way off being able to give my opinion on a geared 55 perspective however i have to agree with allot of what Psi has to say, i struggled to decide on what i would play when i came back to SWTOR in prep for 2.4 but after countless hours and re-learning the Sorc/Sage class i decided that despite the crap on the forums i had little to none of the common place issues people were stating.

My honest opinion is that allot of the problems i read about day to day ont he forums can be broken down into a few simple categories:

1) Genuine Concern for the classes lacking aspects, neither Psi or myself will claim blissful ignorance about the class, Sorcs are far from in a great spot right now but they are also far from being in a bad place. We can bring unrivaled utility if played well and the emphasis is on PLAYED WELL

2) Which brings me to the second point LACK OF BASIC MECHANICAL PLAY - the Sorc/Sage player base as a whole lacks basic mechanical skills i wont go into depth on this because people will not listen its that simple but guys you lack basic mechanics even i do and so does Psi we all mess up the key is limiting factors that hinder your play.

3) Outright refusal to believe its a lack of skill - this goes beyond mechanics and into people not having gear, not being at end game, being focus fired etc etc people cry and moan because they outright refuse to believe that they could have done anything different or that in the situation there simply was no way out (yes it happens death is unavoidable at times).

TLDR: Psi doesn't see faults unless there genuinely are faults, at least from what I've seen/read so far which is why he gets my vote

Edited by Veliel

the only thing that bothers me about sorcs (lightning spec, because cmon madness is trololol) is that we are inherently a kiting class that relies on kiting to survive and do damage, but our heavy burst is reliant on 1.5-2s casts....poor designing on bw's part imo

1) Genuine Concern for the classes lacking aspects, neither Psi or myself will claim blissful ignorance about the class, Sorcs are far from in a great spot right now but they are also far from being in a bad place. We can bring unrivaled utility if played well and the emphasis is on PLAYED WELL

There's a problem when you see mediocre sorcs/sages change classes and all of a sudden are deemed good players. I will go more into detail on this in my following comment.

2) Which brings me to the second point LACK OF BASIC MECHANICAL PLAY - the Sorc/Sage player base as a whole lacks basic mechanical skills i wont go into depth on this because people will not listen its that simple but guys you lack basic mechanics even i do and so does Psi we all mess up the key is limiting factors that hinder your play.
Not 100 % sure what you are talking about here but I interpreted it as pretty much knowing and playing the class. On that note, sorc and sage are probably the easiest AC'es in the game, both from a keyboard point of view and in terms of keeping track of what's going on on the screen. So that is not the problem with the class. The problem is that the mechanics are bad and require more, in terms of situational awareness, from the player. I bet that 95 % of the player pool has never participated in a team sport so they don't have any practice when it comes to awareness of their surroundings and being able to foresee what other people are about to do. The only time they're snapping out of their tunneling is when someone calls INC, a scenario where everyone will "lemming" away. It's easier to play "your own game" on other AC'es , not all other AC'es but the vast majority of them. Try playing without a premade sometime and you'll discover how much of an objective class sorc/sage is when no one your team cares. As a stealther, tank, gunslinger or scoundrel you would have had a much bigger chance at playing the objective. As a sorc/sage you'll get 5 meters with the huttball if you don't have support and people will laugh at you if they find you on guard.

3) Outright refusal to believe its a lack of skill - this goes beyond mechanics and into people not having gear, not being at end game, being focus fired etc etc people cry and moan because they outright refuse to believe that they could have done anything different or that in the situation there simply was no way out (yes it happens death is unavoidable at times).
Going back to my first comment, how is that not a class issue? I don't necessarily think we have a survivability problem and I'm sure as hell not asking for more defensive crap BUT that's based on what I considered to be the archetype for a light armor class . We DO NOT, in relation to other classes, have the output you would expect for the archetype. Edited by MidichIorian

Not 100 % sure what you are talking about here but I interpreted it as pretty much knowing and playing the class. On that note, sorc and sage are probably the easiest AC'es in the game, both from a keyboard point of view and in terms of keeping track of what's going on on the screen. So that is not the problem with the class. The problem is that the mechanics are bad and require more, in terms of situational awareness, from the player. I bet that 95 % of the player pool has never participated in a team sport so they don't have any practice when it comes to awareness of their surroundings and being able to foresee what other people are about to do. The only time they're snapping out of their tunneling is when someone calls INC, a scenario where everyone will "lemming" away. It's easier to play "your own game" on other AC'es , not all other AC'es but the vast majority of them. Try playing without a premade sometime and you'll discover how much of an objective class sorc/sage is when no one your team cares. As a stealther, tank, gunslinger or scoundrel you would have had a much bigger chance at playing the objective. As a sorc/sage you'll get 5 meters with the huttball if you don't have support and people will laugh at you if they find you on guard.

You pretty much agree with the points i stated, perhaps i could have done a better job of putting them across. I'm exhausted from being up early but will clarify what i meant on a few points later.

On a side note its no surprise I'm leveling a sent alongside my Sorc for 2.4 although I'm adamant that Sorcs will perform well in 2.4 if in the right comp

Edited by Veliel

(from a 2k+ ranked dps perspective)

the problem with the sorc forums has always been bads posting about issues that don't really affect anything

in fact, unless you have 2k+ rating, you shouldn't post at all about pvp because you are bad

sorc in ranked is all about positioning, dps uptime, setting up targets in advance, and having teammates who give you time to do those things. the skill in playing a sorc is maximizing all of those things and being able to play a few moves ahead/vocalize all of them. every good team understands the value of a good sorc.

if you can't top meters in every reg warzone, you are bad

sorcs are already good now in a 4v4 setting. i realize that only a few people per server are able to play at that level. the problem with buffing sorcs too much is turning them into jesus aka wow and frost mages. the handful of players who could maximize them dominated arena for a long time.

tldr; drop the dunning kruger and focus on the many things you need to do to get better at your class. we're all only as good as our teammates in a ranked setting.

also, psi, good luck

Edited by orryko

(from a 2k+ dps perspective)

Which means nothing... if you don't parse above 2k, you must be in the bottom 1%, or lower than that. I'm pretty sure everyone here can break that, so I don't really see the point in stating it...

in fact, unless you have 2k+ rating, you shouldn't post at all about pvp because you are bad

Also, this in incredibly elitest. There are very good PvPers who never play ranked. Ranked is also dependant on the team, so a great player can have low rating.

Which means nothing... if you don't parse above 2k, you must be in the bottom 1%, or lower than that. I'm pretty sure everyone here can break that, so I don't really see the point in stating it...

Also, this in incredibly elitest. There are very good PvPers who never play ranked. Ranked is also dependant on the team, so a great player can have low rating.

2k ranked...lolpve

and no, there aren't. there are MANY people who suffer from the dunning kruger effect

Edited by orryko

(from a 2k+ dps perspective)

2k ranked...

Mhmm... nice lie, want to tell another one? I notice how you mysteriously edited your post to say 'ranked' when I quoted the original message in my original post. Nice try though, really.

Kidding, it wasn't a nice try.

Edited by idnewton

Mhmm... nice lie, want to tell another one? I notice how you mysteriously edited your post to say 'ranked' when I quoted the original message in my original post. Nice try though, really.

Kidding, it wasn't a nice try.

i was obviously talking about pvp. i guess you aren't good at context either? didn't even think some pve baddie would chime in